“Paradise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Paradise Samana

Bookmark
You added Grand Paradise Samana to your Saves list
Grand Paradise Samana
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Las Galeras, Dominican Republic (Formerly Casa Marina Bay)   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Las Galeras
Brampton, Canada
“Paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We just came back from the GRAND PARADISE resort. It was our second visit here. We stayed 3weeks and I have only the best memories not only of the place, but mostly of the kind and generous employee of the hotel. I would like to share a story with you. It is about avocado ... I am absolutely crazy about the fruit. Specially the fresh one....So, I was trilled, when I entered the dinning area and saw one of the employee eating one !!! I looked everywhere in the prepared food sections - but could not find it . I looked again in the direction, where the lady was eating her avocado and than I realized, that she was one of the staff of the resort and figured that she was eating her own lunch. So - I filled my plate with different varieties of goodies and went back to my table. I got a visitor there. Her name is - Noris SILVERIO and to my absolute surprise,
she was bringing me a plate with an avocado she brought with her to work !!!! And not only that ...
the next day she brought me some more ....!!!! What can I say : THANK YOU Noris so very much !! You and lots of others (to name just few: Gina, Ariel, Roger +++) become a great friends to us ...and thanks to you we will be so happy to come back to your wonderful "Paradise" next year !!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

First off, without a doubt, the beach is beautiful and it feels pretty safe (which was important for two females travelling alone). But.......thats pretty much where it ends. Its kind of a nudist resort, which is totally fine I guess. Except I think the average guest age probably sits around 65-75, so don't expect to see hotbodies. Cows roam the grounds fairly freely, which can be fun and/or terrifying, depending on your feelings about livestock. The food was meh, and sometimes borderline gross, but mostly passable. Cocktails flow freely and, since it appears most guests are European, they act shocked when you tip. But the sugar-to-booze ratio makes it pretty close to impossible to get a buzz, unless you're 75 probably. The couple of nights we attempted to spend time in the "disco", there were maybe six other patrons. Again, with the average guest age. When we left to drive across the country to catch our flight, they asked us to drive a male staff member to his hometown, which was awkward for two single females. But he was friendly and didn't rape or rob us, so that ended up ok. So, yeah, if you want cheap and no frills, totally stay here. Its beautiful country and safe. You get what you pay for. If you can afford a little more, I'd say pay a little more.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Penetanguishene, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We just got back from this resort yesterday. The beach was beautiful, very secluded from other resorts. The oceanview room was nice. I wasn't a fan of the food. We would go again just for the beach and the weather.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

Our first visit to the Grand Paradise was June 2013. Had the best time ever. Beach breathe taking, grounds beautiful, staff very friendly. Needless to say we came back for two weeks in October 2013. If you want rest and relaxation, this is the place to be. We will most certainly be back again.

Cathy - Beamsville, On Canada

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
hamilton, ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I travelled to Samana, Dominican Republic from March 16th through March 23rd. When I booked this vacation, I understood it was a three star resort so I didn’t have high expectations for food. Although it was a three star resort, I didn’t feel I was at any risk of having a bad experience. I also researched the property with other vacation carriers and found some advertised this property as a 3.5 star and some even advertised this as a 4 star.

The resort grounds and property are beautiful. They are well maintained and kept very clean. The beach was also very nice and we didn’t experience any harassment from the beach vendors. There was always a lounge chair to be found (although several were worn and I sat on two that were broke). No complaints at all about the grounds or the cleanliness of the rooms. In fact, the buildings had a clean smell when you walked in them. I was pleasantly surprised given that this was a 3 star resort.

Sadly, that is where the good part of my vacation stopped.

Our fist night we were in room 5308. The toilet wouldn’t flush properly and was clogged and our remote didn’t work for the TV. We reported this to the front desk and shortly after they sent someone to our room to fix both problems.

That night, I got up to use the washroom, and again the toilet was plugged. My boyfriend ended up plunging the toilet with a hanger that we had brought from home.

The next morning we had no hot water. We reported both problems to our Air Canada representative, Joel, who had the resort staff, fix both the hot water issue and the toilet issue.

At the same time I was reporting this issue, the couple in front of me also was complaining about their room (this is Monday morning because Joel was not at the resort on Sunday). This poor couple had NO shower at all since they arrived!!! When they went to turn on the water the lever to the tap was so old it rusted off!! They reported this to the desk on Saturday and now it’s Monday and this was NOT fixed!!!

That night when we went to have our showers before dinner, again, no hot water. We learned to live with the fact that we had to take a cold shower and figured this was because we were in a three star resort, but were determined not to let it ruin the beautiful surroundings or our time away without the children.

On Tuesday night about 1am our air conditioner stopped working, we slept with the doors open but the heat was too much to sleep in. The next morning we were up at 7am as we were taking the cultural excursion. Before leaving for the excursion, I reported the air conditioner breakdown to the front desk and to Joel.

When we came back from our excursion, I went to the room and still no air conditioning. I went to the front desk at this point and they looked in their log and told me it was fixed. I explained AGAIN there was no cold air coming out of the vent. I insisted for a good 15 minutes that the air was not working and was not fixed and they told me there was “a problem with the power plant”. As luck would have it, the two maintenance guys were standing right at the front counter. The person behind the desk named Guery spoke in Spanish to the maintenance guys. I have no idea what they “actually” said but I was told that there was a problem with the whole building, it was being worked on and it would be fixed in 20 minutes. I told Guery at that point if it wasn’t fixed I wanted to be moved to a room with air conditioning because I suffer from migraines when there is extreme heat and I already had one from the night before. I don’t think he had any idea what I was talking about nor did he care. We went to our very hot 31 degree room to shower and get ready for dinner.

Prior to going for dinner, we went to the pool bar, I had to go back to the room and happened to find the same maintenance guy now in my building, since I had been back to the room and it had been more than 20 minutes. I decided to take the maintenance guy to my room to show him it still wasn’t working. He didn’t speak any English, but understood what I was saying and managed to write in English on a piece of paper “20 minutes”. So again, ANOTHER 20 minutes. I still can’t understand how he can write in English but not speak or understand it!

After dinner, we went back to our room and NO AIR!!!! We went to the front desk, found Guery who told us (after talking to maintenance again) that it will be 20 minutes. I told him this is not acceptable, and I wanted another room. He said he couldn’t do that so I asked to speak to the Manager.

At that point a lady named Maria (who I later found out was the Guest Services Manager) came out from an office and started talking to us. I reiterated everything that had happened and told her I wanted a new room. She stood there and said nothing at first; in fact she argued with me that the air in my room was working... After arguing with her for a good 20 minutes, I again said this is unacceptable and my request is not unreasonable, she told me that she didn’t know if she had another room available. I told her that clearly she did because the resort is not sold out … her reply …”well I have to look in my computer”. I asked her to look in her computer and find me a room that has air conditioning. She didn’t look in her computer but instead picked up the phone and started speaking to someone in Spanish. When she got off the phone, she responded by saying “it really doesn’t matter if I find another room or not because there’s a problem with the power plant and no one has air conditioning”. (funny, because the rest of the power was on in the resort). I told her that was ridiculous and if the whole resort was without power, there would be more than just me at the front desk asking to change rooms; she told me that lots of people had been to the front desk. I looked at the log, and although there were several complaints, (no toilet paper, towels, water,), there wasn’t any surrounding air. Again, I had been told a complete lie …. The whole resort DID have air. I had spent close to 4 hours of my vacation back and forth to this front desk trying to resolve this issue. That is basically half a day of my VACATION that I will NEVER get back. I later found out that every air conditioner operates separately so if one went down, there was no way they would all be down.

I was standing at the desk waiting for Maria to get off the phone for a very long time, a man named Alvaro Eusebio who took luggage to peoples room, went to the desk to write something, he smiled at me and said “everything ok”, I had no idea who he was at this point and said NO, I have no air, my toilets broken and no one wants to help me. He spoke in Spanish to Guery and then left.

After arguing for a very long time and getting absolutely nowhere I decided to leave and I told them I would take this up with the Air Canada Rep in the morning. Then I walked across the lobby and asked a few other people if they had air conditioning. They said “yes of course, she is lying to you, the service here is unbelievable!!!” Then I spoke in a very loud voice to Maria and asked her why she was lying and why it was so hard to get another room. Then Guery shouted at me, “hey, come back here”. At that point my boyfriend made me leave the front lobby because we were not getting anywhere!!!!

After walking down the path he went back to get her name (we didn’t know her name until this point). When he went back he was also VERY frustrated and irate, this was a simple reasonable request and neither of us could understand why we were having such a hard time moving rooms. We weren’t asking for anything unreasonable!!! This was a simple service request that would have cost the resort ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!! And we would have been happy customers.

My boyfriend was gone about 15 minutes and again he was arguing with the front desk, FINALLY, the luggage clerk, Alvaro Eusebio stepped up and said “sir, we are going to make this right.” He got the key to a room (1134) took my boyfriend there to show him the room, sent us back to pack our luggage (this is now 10pm at night and this whole episode started before 6pm). And came and moved our luggage for us.

I want to point out the next morning, Alvaro found us in the resort to ask us if everything was ok last night. My heartfelt thanks to Alvaro who is the ONLY person who cared!!!!

The next morning we reported this problem to our Air Canada Rep. He went to speak to the Manager about the situation and was told that it was Maria that gave us the room. This is absolutely NOT TRUE. When my boyfriend went back to talk to her she WOULD NOT even come out of her office!!!! Unbelievable for someone who is supposed to be in charge of customer service!! Not only was she not helpful, didn’t care if we were happy or sleeping in a room at 31 degrees for a second night, she lied to us and her Manager to make it look like she was doing her job.

Thursday and Friday went off without incident. Until Friday night when the air conditioner in our second room (1134) broke!!!! This happened about 2am; we had to get up for 5am because we were leaving on Saturday morning so just lived with it.

On Saturday morning when I went to check out, I reported the air conditioning problem but the clerk at the desk had no interest in writing this down, so if they go and check the log, they won’t find the problem recorded anywhere (that’s helpful, I feel sorry for the next couple or family that gets that room). When I went to check out, I was also handed an internet bill for approx 2800 peso’s which was about $62.00 U.S. dollars. I explained I didn’t use the internet all week; I had no device with me to even use the internet on. At that point, he took the bill wrote on it $62.00 U.S. and shoved it back at me. Again, I explained that it isn’t my charge and under no circumstance did I have any intention of paying that bill!!! Again, he pushed the bill across the counter at me. I told him to get his Manager on the phone. At that point another guest who spoke Spanish came along and helped me, after 15 minutes, it was discovered that this charge was NOT mine and it was bill that dated back to whomever had the room on February 14th, 2013!!!

I used to be a loyal West Jet customer and travelled with them for business all the time. About 4 years ago I tried Air Canada, and have been loyally flying with you for business ever since because of the service and experience you provide. Other issues we encountered were

The towels are supposed to be white but are actually more of a washed out grey and are all frayed. The bed sheets are all pilled and uncomfortable to sleep on and the first bed we had, had a steel rod sticking out of it. I also heard a lady at the front counter complaining because her box spring was broken for two days and no one was coming to fix it. I saw a lot of people moving beds from room to room and during the supper rush to shower, I witnessed an employee going around flicking the breakers on and off so there was intermittent power failures. I was actually in the shower one night when the power went off and had to shower in the dark. This is also a safety issue because the door was shut to the bathroom and I had no light coming in.

The bars kept running out of wine, and whatever the mix is for a brown cow. “No brown cow”, this is at 1pm in the afternoon!!! How is this possible and why didn’t they just go restock the bar??? I wasn’t expecting premium drinks but certainly I was expecting them to serve what they had on their bar menu.

The resort only gives you one room key. If you want a second key, you have to pay $5 per key per day.

I cannot express how disappointed I am in the service experience or lack of service we received with the issues we had. Service is something that costs a company absolutely nothing and the one thing that can set them apart from any other company.
To be honest when we had to switch rooms and had such a hard time doing so I thought we would have found a bottle of champagne or something in our room the next day.

I work as a Senior Manager of Customer Experience for a major Banks and in my role, I cover all of Canada. Doing the job I do, I am always very cognizant of what is reasonable to ask for and what is not. I am also very away of what is within peoples ability to provide and what is not. In no way whatsoever was my request to move to another room unreasonable. There is no reason I should have spent four hours of frustration on my vacation. A half a day that I will never get back and left a very bad taste for us to enjoy the rest of the week on.

Room Tip: I understand this resort was being bought out, ask for a newly remodelled room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

This was my second time returning to Grand Paradise and as much as i was pleased the first time, this visit exceeded all my expectaions! We were in a beautiful, newly renovated room, which the maids were extremely prompt in cleaning and restocking.

The staff was extremely friendly and welcoming; and shockingly remembered us the minute we walked in to check in; some of which remembered us by name. They made us feel so appreciated and so at home especially because we had been there before. They had a special dinner for repeat guests which we were invited to on the beach, they served an amazing feast which included bbq'd lobster, chicken, etc. They truly value their customers/guests.

The entertainment team is amazing and not only on stage but off it as well. They are so friendly and approach you whenever they see you to ask if you need anything or to chat or even to sit down for a meal with. I would especially like to thank YESSI who has been an amazing person on both separate visits, she has such an amazing and warm personailty. And MIKIKI as well, always gave us such a great laugh, such a talented dancer, and meals with him present were some of the best we had there.

The beaches were some of the most beautiful we have ever visitied! loved the fact that there were no rocks in the water and the scenery was spectacular. there was also an abundunce of water sports and activites to enjoy on the beach as well as the pool.

Lastly I would like to mention the amazing and prompt service we received from the reception services team. JULIO, GEARY, and YINAURI were extremely kind, generous,and helpful at all times. We could not begin to thank them enough for going above and beyond for all of us.

The staff mentioned are definitely the number one reason why we will be returning to this resort, everything else is just a HUGE BONUS!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Great experience! We could not have made a better choice. Great resort, great people, great food. Enjoyed our stay from start to end. The staff make this place amazing....can't thank them enough. The resort is kept very clean, the rooms are tidy and clean, the beach is perfect. We loved the idea of being able to enjoy nature as well. A special thanks to Antonio, waiter at the italian and seafood a la carte restaurants to the recreation staff Judy, Olga, Daniel, Kaki, Jessie and all the others for their amazing job...always with a smile on their faces even though they work very long hours. Keep up the good work guys! to Juan Carlos, bartender at the sportbar, Haussen, bartender at the Disco, Ramon, Sunwing guide who was always looking after us and making sure we were comfortable to Julio, Wilfredo Galan and Noris Silverio for an amazing special dinner on the night of September 30th in appreciation to the Canadian customers. It was a lovely buffet/bbq dinner by the beach. Don't leave without taking the tour to El Limon Waterfalls.....a tour full of adventure. It's definitely worth the price. We will definitely visit Grand Paradise Samana again! Fredy and Luz

Room Tip: Building 5 for oceanview. Higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Paradise Samana? Share your experiences!