“TROPICAL VACATION” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Paradise Samana

You added Grand Paradise Samana to your Saves list
Grand Paradise Samana
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Las Galeras, Dominican Republic (Formerly Casa Marina Bay)   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Las Galeras
Greenville
“TROPICAL VACATION”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Just wanted to say that we really enjoyed our stay at this lovely Resort. The food was abundant the weather was perfect and the Ocean was fabulous! Gorgeous scenery and a very entertaining dance show in the middle of the week. The Reservation Mgr. is Noris Silverio, and I must say that she is a very warm, wonderful, accommodating hostess.

Room Tip: Request clean towels, face clothes, sheets and bottled water, for your room, in advance. At the tim...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

This resort needs a total renovation. Staff was not very friendly and barely spoke any English. Checking in and out took a lot of time. It's true what others are saying, there are a lot of locals but only on the weekends. They are always at the pools and rarely at the beach. Mixed drinks were so sweet and tasted like syrup. Food was repetitive and not very good. It also did not help that flies were all over the food most of the time. The drive from the Samana airport is approximately 90 mins. Air conditioning in the room had no settings, it was either freeze or sweat. The rooms needed way more lighting. I recommend using the safe it's $15 USD for the week and gives you peace of mind. The beds are old and uncomfortable, the pillows felt like they were stuffed with crushed up cardboard, not a good sleep whatsoever. Even if you wanted to sleep, the maids would knock on your door at 8:30am everyday! Too early in my opinion. Our room was on the 3rd floor and there are no elevators. We literally had to drag our luggage up and down the stairs.

The best part about the trip truly was the beach. It was stunning. The water was clear and you could even have some pretty fish swim with you. The friendliest staff were the entertainment and photography team. A big thumbs up to them.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

They need to change a lot of things, like food, cleanliness and costumer services, the only person I would like to say thank you is Alvaro you deserve a better position not carrying luggages good luck man.

• Stayed August 2013
New Cumberland, Pennsylvania, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

A friend and I got a groupon deal to stay here and we were not happy. They informed us it would be a 45 minute drive from the local airport, in fact it was an hour and 45 minute drive. Friday-Sunday the resort is packed with locals, who are not at all friendly and seem to blatantly stare you down. The pools are packed with children, including the adult only pool, and they (locals) are very loud. A lot peaceful during the weekdays. You have to pay for wifi, safe, and better quality drinks. The food was horrible, half the time it was cold, and I found rocks in the chili that was served. I showed the waiter and he simply said that it could have been from the beans, being that they are freshly picked from the mountains. I then complained at the front desk and the kitchen manager was called, and he said that he never had that problem before, but it "could be possible" and asked what he could do. I was appalled!!! I told him that he could start by removing the chili from the buffet as it was not sanitary to have his guests eating food that contained rocks. I refused to eat their food after that incident and went to town to buy my meals. The drinks are watered down, cheap wine, and I am very skeptical about ordering water to drink as they pour it out of a jug, and do not offer you bottled water. The only positive was the location, the beach was amazingly beautiful. I snorkeled right on the beach area and saw small fish, crabs, and two star fish. The water is crystal clear and warm. If you want to just relax and enjoy a beautiful beach scenery, and don't mind spending the extra cash on eating out of the resort then I would recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Lovely choice of pools, nightly entertainment was fun and interactive. I stayed for 10 days during Christmas season. Ensured room safe was workable, not to happy about paying for WiFi; debit card did not work on hotel grounds for cash even when machine indicated usage so a little inconvenience and having to use credit card to extract cash for a fee:( Missed migrating whales; did falls excursion; and really enjoyed the hike, during the time of stay did not do any scuba due to rough sea. Lots of sun and four days of rain; however weather was enjoyable as December in Ontario is sooooo cold during same time of year. Room was ok; I wasn't very pleased with rationing water; and requesting a container every second day; for use to drink and brush teeth. Service and menu selections were good, and breakfast buffet was nice. Really enjoyed the artwork out of the fresh fruit. Beach was cleaned daily and enjoyed sun at beach if not at pool. Would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My family and I traveled to this resort mid-June (Me, my boyfriend and our 3 years old son) for one week. The bus ride from the airport to the resort is about 1 hour and a half (LONG). The weather was good. It rained a bit when we arrived but it eventually stopped. It was sunny all week except the last two days which were rainy throughout the afternoon only. The weather was overall very humid, but gorgeous (thank God for the AC in our bedroom). This resort is also very kids-friendly and great for families. There's a free children's club which we used only once for our son. There was no AC and therefore the kids get really hot inside. They could not go out and play in the jungle gym because it was under renovation. The care takers are very nice though. The food a la carte was really good the first night we had tried it but during the following nights it just started tasting too salty and so we decided to stick to the buffet food which was different every night (different themes everyday day). I am not a picky eater and therefore I thought the food was good...especially breakfast.

There's always an activity going on in the morning for the tourists. At night the entertainment was really not good. If you are looking for great dancing shows..this is not it.
The locals do stay at the resort during weekends...I thought it was interesting but the locals were not very friendly and never smiled...they just stared.

Our bedroom was alright. They do not have king size beds...only two double beds (we had to push ours together to make one big bed). We had our room in the last building - I believe building 8....which was kind of far from everything. I did not mind that much but I did wish it was closer...the room was however newer. One of the downsides of the room is that you could not flush toilet paper in the toilet...so you can only imagine how difficult that was for us to get use to that.

We had an excursion to El Limon Cascade which was amazing!! The ride was about 1 hour from the resort to the actual site. We then rode horses to the waterfall - which my son LOVED (he rode with his dad). We also had lunch on site. (They provide the boots, not socks, so bring your own...it gets very wet and muddy).

The beach at the resort is gorgeous! If you have time you should walk to the market which is 5-10 mins walk on the beach path.

We had an overall good time.

Room Tip: Buildings 5-8 are newer but a bit further from the reception and buffet (but closer to the beach)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My boyfriend and I got a Groupon deal to stay here and we loved it! We stayed for 5 nights and 6 days. The staff was so friendly and the rooms were lovely. We stayed in one of the newer buildings, which I would recommend requesting when booking your stay. The food is good, though not outstanding and the drinks are good and vary in strength and deliciousness depending on which bar you go to. The beach and pools were more than satisfactory, not a lot of sand at the beaches, but plenty of room to lay out and enjoy yourself. We did not go on any excursions because they seemed a little more expensive than we were interested in, but they seemed fun. Upon going again (which we would love to do one day) we would definitely get the taxi service to the hotel. We rented a car and drove, but navigating is difficult, especially in the dark, and even though we saved a little money it was more stress than it was worth. Overall it was a wonderful experience; as long as you aren't expecting 5 stars, you will be more than happy with your vacation.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newer buildings. They are further away from the beach, but cleaner and more up to...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Paradise Samana? Share your experiences!