“Beautiful Samana” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Paradise Samana

Save Saved
You added Grand Paradise Samana to your Saves list
Grand Paradise Samana
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Las Galeras, Dominican Republic (Formerly Casa Marina Bay)   |
Ranked #3 of 6 hotels in Las Galeras
Hamilton, Canada
“Beautiful Samana”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Lovely choice of pools, nightly entertainment was fun and interactive. I stayed for 10 days during Christmas season. Ensured room safe was workable, not to happy about paying for WiFi; debit card did not work on hotel grounds for cash even when machine indicated usage so a little inconvenience and having to use credit card to extract cash for a fee:( Missed migrating whales; did falls excursion; and really enjoyed the hike, during the time of stay did not do any scuba due to rough sea. Lots of sun and four days of rain; however weather was enjoyable as December in Ontario is sooooo cold during same time of year. Room was ok; I wasn't very pleased with rationing water; and requesting a container every second day; for use to drink and brush teeth. Service and menu selections were good, and breakfast buffet was nice. Really enjoyed the artwork out of the fresh fruit. Beach was cleaned daily and enjoyed sun at beach if not at pool. Would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

1,622 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My family and I traveled to this resort mid-June (Me, my boyfriend and our 3 years old son) for one week. The bus ride from the airport to the resort is about 1 hour and a half (LONG). The weather was good. It rained a bit when we arrived but it eventually stopped. It was sunny all week except the last two days which were rainy throughout the afternoon only. The weather was overall very humid, but gorgeous (thank God for the AC in our bedroom). This resort is also very kids-friendly and great for families. There's a free children's club which we used only once for our son. There was no AC and therefore the kids get really hot inside. They could not go out and play in the jungle gym because it was under renovation. The care takers are very nice though. The food a la carte was really good the first night we had tried it but during the following nights it just started tasting too salty and so we decided to stick to the buffet food which was different every night (different themes everyday day). I am not a picky eater and therefore I thought the food was good...especially breakfast.

There's always an activity going on in the morning for the tourists. At night the entertainment was really not good. If you are looking for great dancing shows..this is not it.
The locals do stay at the resort during weekends...I thought it was interesting but the locals were not very friendly and never smiled...they just stared.

Our bedroom was alright. They do not have king size beds...only two double beds (we had to push ours together to make one big bed). We had our room in the last building - I believe building 8....which was kind of far from everything. I did not mind that much but I did wish it was closer...the room was however newer. One of the downsides of the room is that you could not flush toilet paper in the toilet...so you can only imagine how difficult that was for us to get use to that.

We had an excursion to El Limon Cascade which was amazing!! The ride was about 1 hour from the resort to the actual site. We then rode horses to the waterfall - which my son LOVED (he rode with his dad). We also had lunch on site. (They provide the boots, not socks, so bring your own...it gets very wet and muddy).

The beach at the resort is gorgeous! If you have time you should walk to the market which is 5-10 mins walk on the beach path.

We had an overall good time.

Room Tip: Buildings 5-8 are newer but a bit further from the reception and buffet (but closer to the beach)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My boyfriend and I got a Groupon deal to stay here and we loved it! We stayed for 5 nights and 6 days. The staff was so friendly and the rooms were lovely. We stayed in one of the newer buildings, which I would recommend requesting when booking your stay. The food is good, though not outstanding and the drinks are good and vary in strength and deliciousness depending on which bar you go to. The beach and pools were more than satisfactory, not a lot of sand at the beaches, but plenty of room to lay out and enjoy yourself. We did not go on any excursions because they seemed a little more expensive than we were interested in, but they seemed fun. Upon going again (which we would love to do one day) we would definitely get the taxi service to the hotel. We rented a car and drove, but navigating is difficult, especially in the dark, and even though we saved a little money it was more stress than it was worth. Overall it was a wonderful experience; as long as you aren't expecting 5 stars, you will be more than happy with your vacation.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newer buildings. They are further away from the beach, but cleaner and more up to...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Grand Paradise completely met my expectations and I had great one week vacation there. It has never been advertised as 5 stars and has fair 3 and a half rating. As long as you keep this mind, you will enjoy your vacation there.
The room was neat and freshly renovated with a big and clean bathroom. Beautiful beach and plenty of chairs, so no need to wake-up before the sunrise to get one for yourself as you usually do in other resorts. The water was so clean and warm that I didn’t go even once to any of the pools. Food was better than I had experienced at most of the resorts I have ever been to, however, I am not a big food consumer when I am in hot environment; I lose my appetite. Absolutely wonderful choice of alcoholic beverages. The quality of wine exceeded my expectations. Entertainment was amazing, night shows were fabulous, especially the one on the water. Animation team is fantastic. They do their best to make sure you always have fun and great time and, at the same time, they are not annoying when they see you feeling like you need your nap or just relax and not be bothered. Staff are very friendly, most of them speak great English. Some of them were doing their job far beyond my expectations and made my vacation unforgettable. Just to name a few - bartenders at the beach bar Juan and Robinson, the girl at the reception Amaradai, Daniel from animation team - Daniel REALLY works outstanding, as a great performer in the shows and as the best entertainer you can possibly think of, whether you are doing aerobics in the water (total fun) or go to the disco at night, he will make sure you are having good time and happy.
Usually I never go to the same resort twice because there are so many beautiful places on the planet I would love to see, but I would come back to this one.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stayed in this hotel and it was very fine, I love it!. The service was very good, specially from Wilfredo, he was very kind and attentive. The location is very good, and the hotel is very relaxing and the night shows were really fun. i hope to state there again

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My family and I just spent the weekend at Las Galeras. The food was good, service was exceptional, but the quality of the rooms was not the greatest. Low water pressure, no hot water at times, and the beds were twins, and not very comfortable. Not to mention tonnes of bugs at night. We have a great time in the pool but I would most likely not be back again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My 15 year old daughter, her friend and I just returned from Grand Paradise, Samana. Although we have stayed at resorts with better food / service / amenities in the past – (much of what is reported by previous posts) – I would recommend Grand Paradise to those travelling who are looking for relaxation, beautiful untreated country side and beach as well as a way to connect with the local Dominican citizens. They live for the moment and truly enjoy life. It was wonderful to see during our excursion and throughout the weekend when many came to stay at the hotel. During the week the hotel became a quieter place, one where all could enjoy a peaceful vacation on the beach ( our favourte spot ) or at the pool. The weekend DISCO was a wonderful way to truly catch a glimpse of their culture, rhythm, and sheer love of life. We met wonderful people from all over the world - Germany, Czech Republic, France, Washingston, and more. Make the most of your vacation by enjoying what’s in front of you versus what's missing.
Danielle, Toronto.
sdljwilliams@hotmail.com

Room Tip: buildings 6, 7 and 8 are the newer buildings. Easy access to beach and pools.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Grand Paradise Samana? Share your experiences!