“Stayed from May 12-19 2013. couple in 30's, no kids.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Paradise Samana

You added Grand Paradise Samana to your Saves list
Grand Paradise Samana
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Las Galeras, Samana, Dominican Republic, Las Galeras, Dominican Republic (Formerly Casa Marina Bay)   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Las Galeras
Toronto, Canada
“Stayed from May 12-19 2013. couple in 30's, no kids.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

As stated above, we stayed here from May 12-19. This resort was in a great location with no other resorts around it. we took the 10 minute beach walk to town which was safe and shop owners would engage you but were not pushy. Some have stated that the resort is a bit dated which I conquer but was tolerable and not an issue. The food was fantastic and the drinks are no different then any other all inc. Beer however, was draft and very good. They served it in frosty beer mugs which was a nice touch, never got sick of it all week. I never had any issues getting a seat on the beach or the pool area and never had to fight for shade either.
The staff all around were hit or miss. I've been all over the Caribean in my time and found that for the most part people are decent and respectful. This resort had a combination of both. It felt like the people in customer service roles had a sense of job security and entitlement. Some were rude and made you feel like it was a bother for them to answer very simple common questions. Please keep in mind I am a very tolerable person and not picky in the least. I just feel that people who choose a job in customer service should be customer service oriented. The girl at the front desk told people different things all week and seemed bothered when something did not work and assistance was needed. She told one traveller that there was no plugs for the bath tubs because people in Domincan only shower not bath but then when my wife asked for one she said it would be in the room in 10 mins . These are minor issues that I certainly don't lose sleep over but should be addressed if any management from the resort is reading this as I'm sure there are plenty of people that would appreciate such a position at the resort.
On the flip side of that we ran into Wilfredo who is the guest services manager. He was a class act and extremely outgoing. We called an offsite restaurant from the front desk which we were charged a nickel for by the girl mentioned above. When I needed to call back Wilfredo called from his cell phone and took care of it for us. He joined us for a cocktail on our last night and went over the top when our friends had an issue with there room. He was very professional, courteous and friendly. I would suggest to anyone who visits and has any issues to ask for him at the front desk.
I would highly recommend trying "El Cabito" restaurant. When calling to make reservations (which is a 5 cent phone call at the front desk or a wilfredo cell call as stated above!) ask them to send you a car. The Bulgarian lady (Leah) who owns it speaks fluent English and they get a better deal on taxis there which they add to your dinner tab. Its a small rustic restaurant with a patio set on a cliff overlooking the ocean. Can't describe, a must see. The chicken was incredible, filling and the best meal I ate all week. We went back a second time we were so impressed. 2 Chicken dinners, 5 beers and cab ride both ways was $49 usd, can't go wrong. Rough rode getting here but Fernando our taxi driver was very good guy, he drove us both times. His van takes a beating, he deserved his tips!!!!!
Air Canada vacations was average as tour operators go, travel by flight and by bus was normal. No food unless purchased on flight but we knew that when we booked. My only criticism of them is the rep "Joel" was less than impressive. He fit the role of a cocky used car salesman. He told the entire bus on the way to the resort that he would do his orientation on the bus ride there which seemed like a good idea cause there was no drinks/beers on the bus and a boring 90 min drive anyways. This was clearly for him to avoid wasting an hour of his time at our resort, c'est la vie, not an issue. The issue came when he told the entire bus that our departure time was at 8am to go to the airport and the bus got there at 7am. When confronted about it at the airport he denied saying it and said the entire bus must have heard it wrong. Mistakes happen but claiming it was our mistake not his seemed to fit his character.
I have listed some small complaints only because these are minor things one may not expect when going on a vacation so being prepared for this sort of service will make your vacation that much better. The resort itself was fantastic. It was only 50% capacity when we went so I can't comment on how it would be during busy season. Some had issues with the locals that seem to come in and book rooms for the weekends but this didn't bother us at all. They were friendly and enjoying themselves like the rest of us.
I do plan on going back again perhaps next year but I may stick to a non busy time. I also have a memory like an elephant and will ensure that people who weren't worthy of my tip money this time, I won't make the same mistake, they will surely not get it next time. I compensated Wilfredo at the end of the week, so his services throughout the week came to me with no tip or expectation of one. He was and will continue to be my go to guy at the front desk and will again be compensated accordingly.
I've been to 5 star resorts before and paid for a 4 star in this one. I knew what to expect and think it is a 4 star resort. Having the staff a bit more friendly may tip this over a 4 star but again I reaped the benefits of the entire resort with no line ups at 50% capacity.
I hope this helps someone's stay.

Room Tip: Stayed in building 8. no issues. Same as any other standard room I've stayed in. When you lea...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Vineland, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

what i liked about this place was spot and the friendly people. beaches are the best. i spend four days there and i had fun. its more for adults then kids. The food was good and changed daily. that was a plus. its more laid back then rushed around. which i like.
the price was a little higher then i wanted to pay but i got over it. lol. nice pools, but go to the beach. the water was like bathtub water. the rooms were a little small but ok. they had good watering system.
over all it was worth it. in 2011 i stayed in La Romana at the baiha principal and it wasn't as good as the Grand Paradise.
if i had to pick something missing it would be a Casino. there was none.

Room Tip: i think where my room was is a good chose. 1118. close to the food and bar and disco. but a little...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Just got back from after 4 night stay and I'm so sad that it's all over. Had an amazing time , it was just my boyfriend and I ...I would totally recommend it.

All I have to say is that don't pay attention to the negative reviews bc I have no complaints at all. The food was amazing , the drinks very good, you barely taste the alcohol but be careful bc it does get to you...the beach breath taking , so many palm trees so beautiful , the sand the water, everything beautiful ...the people very nice , always greeting you with "hola" , the rooms very nice..the only thing that I would have to complain about is that there's no iron or ironing board in the room so we had to call the front desk and ask for one.

After dinner we would go and enjoy ourselves at the show , very entertaining. The staff very nice especially the receptionist Gina she was so wonderful , we had a little issue when we arrived but she was able to help us out, also Lima one of the entertainers such a nice guy he sat with us one day for lunch to get to know us and after that every time he would see us he would greet us, very nice guy.

Overall great resort I would def go back and I can't wait!! Thank you Grand Paradise Samana :)

• Stayed May 2013
Magog, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Just got back from the Grand Paradise Samana after a one week stay.
Positives are as follows : nice sandy beach, food was varied and good, staff was helpful
Close to the town of Las Galleras, rooms were clean and serviced efficently, grounds are well maintained. All in all a lot of great things about this hotel. now for the negatives : No lobby to speak of, no coffee machines in the rooms, no beer in the mini - bar only water and softdrinks
staff speak very limited english, have to pay $ 15.00 for the inroom safety box. Other negatives but they were too trivial to mention ... To conclude, it is a good place to stay if you get a deal on the price, ours was under $ 600 for the week

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room, some are newer than others
Truro, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

had the time of my life. am heart broken i had to leave! will be back asap! fele in love with the people and learned to dance very good...thanks to the crazy bunch from santiago on the weekend of may10-13. the rooms are very fresh, the smell of the resort is amazing, the food is such a variety that no one should complain. the staff made my stay very memorable and the guests were like family in the end.

Room Tip: garden view is amazing!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Same food every day, left over food will get changed to a different dish and served next day, No lobby in this resort therefore you are forced to your room after dark, there is no activity what so ever in this resort, During my vacation there last week, I know of 5 people with diarrhea and stomach problem (5 out of 22 people from Canada),

Room Tip: Same food every day, left over food will get changed to a different dish and served next day, No lob...
London, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Well first impressions here at the resort were pretty good but I thought the service could have been much better. Our room was the furthest away from everything (bar, main buffet etc). They say all inclusive but everything that is good seems to cost way too much, the a la cart restaurant was very limited. Service at dinner was quick the first couple of days were good but after that it was very slow and neglectful! Would not go back to this resort

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Grand Paradise Samana? Share your experiences!