“R&R at Grand Paradise” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Paradise Samana

You added Grand Paradise Samana to your Saves list
Grand Paradise Samana
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Las Galeras, Dominican Republic (Formerly Casa Marina Bay)   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Las Galeras
Barrie, Canada
“R&R at Grand Paradise”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Thank-you to the all the staff at Grand Paradise Samana for a wonderful vacation over March break. This resort may not be a 5 star resort but has everything you would expect and more at an all inclusive resort. We travelled with kids age 7 and 9 they loved the kids club, mini disco and games room.The main buffet was always hot,fresh and tasty. Like any buffet at any resort I've travelled after day 4 or 5 it gets a little repetitive. The beach buffet could use a little improvement, dishes were not kept hot but served fries at lunch time. The beach was not as nice as ones in Punta Cana or Cuba little beach front and lots of plant life in the water. From the front desk staff to the bar staff were exceptional, friendly and helpful. The pools were clean and chairs plentiful. The resort was close to capacity when we were there but you would not know it this resort is small, the perfect size for a little R&R. The rooms were adequate, linens could use updating and not being allowed to flush toilet paper bothered our 9 year old. We were pleasantly surprised after reading some of the previous reviews. Over all a great vacation and a great resort price vs value.

Room Tip: We were in a building on the third floor close to the disco, we had no problem with noise at night.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Polish first
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Thank you very much for a wonderful holiday at the Grand Paradise Samana 28.2.-11.3.2013! I was here last year before and had to return here! Was a beautiful moment and a lot of wonderful experiences! Beautiful place! Very friendly and welcoming staff! A lot of dancing! Everything was perfect! I'd go back now!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We visited Grand Paradise Samana Feb 26 - March 5th 2013. Although this resort has great potential it is just not up to snuff. I would never send oune of my clients to this resort in good faith. If someone demanded to book it I would require that they first sign a waiver saying that I wanrned them about it. 1)Problem number one the plumbing is a problem they do not want you to flush toilet paper down the toilet, they expect you to wipe and throw it in the garbage beside the toilet. So you can just imaging the smell, also many people do not follow this request so many public washroom are often clogged or backed up. 2) The wait staff in the dining room does not help you find seats at all like I have whitnessed in ALL other resorts I have been to so people are always searching aimlessly looking for tables with plates of food and it causes chaos. Our room was adequate and everthing worked so no complainsa there but my in-laws were without A/C for 3 days so they had trouble sleeping and as a result got sich while we were there. The issue was very simple their room key opened the door and turned on the power in the room but for some reason did not operate the A/C after 3 days of waiting the maintenance guy resolved the issue in 5 minutes. I feel this property is very poorly managed based on the problems we experienced. We were mostly dissapointed with the food, I am VERY well traveled and I know what to expect I don't even complain about the food in Cuba but this resort was something else. I usuall stich to the local food and eat the fish but at this resort the fish was gross, realls fishy smelling and tasting (meaning it is not fresh) with the exception of the fish at the a la carte restaurants that fish was wonderful. The beach area was great, the actual sand area is small but they compensate by having a great big lawn strip for all of the Lounge chairs which is much neater than laying in the sand. This resort had a lot of Families and gay couples so something for everyone if you can get over the toilet situation.

Room Tip: Less plumbing problems on the higher floors
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Moncton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Feb 21-March 7,2013
Just got back from Grand Paradise, Samana. After being in Resorts for the 15th time, we sort of know what to expect.
Very nice beach and property. Beautiful green grass.
The food was very good even on the second week. Good variety and fresh. The salad were really fresh all the time. Use your imagination and with the toaster, you can do amanzing stuff. The staff are extra friendly. Always had a smile and very courteous. We didn't use the bars a lot except to get some water, but the staff there appeared really friendly as well.
We stayed in Building #1. The rooms where clean, but nothing special. Don't try to showering between 5-6:30 pm. ,unless you like to wash with droplets of water,lol. As for morning showers, it was ok. The rooms were average, the mattresses and linens were awful. No facecloths available at all time, bring your own!! With a pair of scissors, however, I made 6 washcloths with one towel. On lucky days you would get good (not new, but good towels)! Definitely not a 4 star, but would would still rate it a 3. I guess that building 4-6 are newer. Went to visit. The buildings look better on the outside.
Conclusion: I would definitely go back for the beach, quietness, staff friendlyness and the price!

Room Tip: try for the buildings 4-6 as they are newer!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
North Sydney, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The beach is absolutely beautiful especially the walk along it into Las Galeras. The staff are excellent and resort is very clean. The gardening staff were the hardest workers I have ever seen. Animation team was awesome!!!! Food was not the best but not the worst, could always find something good at each meal. Selection of beverages was poor and cappacino machine was not working most times. Mattresses were awful as well as the sheets and towels but were provided each and every day. Took a taxi into Samana, drive along the coast was nice (didn't see it on arrival since it was night time) but the town is not worth the trip and they need to clean it up and stop throwing their garbage in the beautiful bay! If you get a great deal on this resort and are not expecting luxury than I would totally go.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband, 12 And 13 year old came here for one week in February. On arrival, it was very late and we struggled with our luggage to find the bungalows which use the key card to turn on the lights.It was comfortable but we didn't like the steep rickety stairs to the loft. Anything for the room we asked for was granted (eg extra water, a towel). Our bungalow was in a great location but for families the disco is VERY loud at night.
The staff were all very friendly.The grounds were beautiful and well-maintained. The beach is okay and there is seaweed. The snorkelling place was costs extra but we really enjoyed this as you can see beautiful fish with the guide.
The food was okay and we really liked the omelettes and crepes. The drinks were lousy for the most part and many (like mojitos) they don't know how to make. They were very inconsistant betwwen bars. The pools are nice and very clean.
We were disappointed with The Animation Team as they never once asked my kids to participate.
It was fun walking to town and we felt safe. We brought little dollar store gifts and gave them to delighted and grateful local children.
We booked two tours through Sunwing (Ramone is terric). We went ATVing which I highly recommend as you learn about culture, foods (with samples), tour a plantation, stop at a gorgeous beach and see local towns.
We also went to Limon Waterfalls. It was nice but lots of stairs to climb even after your horseride. The main thing I didn't like was that we were told we could tip $5-$1O for our guide (each person and their horse/donkey) has a guide. My older guide kept gesturing how poor he was and asked me for $20 tip!! I said no as I did not have this and if we did this for 4 guides it would be $80! They were angry with the $10 each tip.It is a lovely place all the same.
All in all, we had a relaxing enjoyable time and yes the resort is tired, but the friendly reception staff, Mario the gardener and others made our stay pleasant.

• Stayed February 2013
canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I have to start by saying don't get scared away by negative reviews cause everyone has a different experience depending on their expectations. We had a superior gardenview room overlooking one of the pools....it was comfortable, clean and the sheets were great and I didn't experience any noise, a/c worked and no plumbing issues other then water pressure at certain times but people think of where you are and how many people are taking showers at once :)

Food was good. No issues and yes it was repetitive but thats what a buffet is. There was always something different to try and lots of choices.

There was always activities going on around the beach area and usually around 5 o'clock at the pool area. Entertainment staff work hard from early morning to late at night. Kids mini disco at night which my son insisted he never miss and then a more adult geared show which was good for the kids also.
Kids club was great for the kids and my son loved it.....he would have spent every minute there if we would have let him.

Lots of fun excursions....we highly recommend the El Limon falls as long as you arent afraid of steep incline and decline on horseback to get to it...fun!! We also LOVED the Samana zipline and can't wait to do that again as well as some day stay at the Eco Lodge Tree Houses being built by the creator of the zipline Bart.

Scenery here is so beautiful and the beach although not very wide was beautiful also. I could have sat all week on my lounge chair looking out at the water and all the surrounding beauty. Its 10 minute walk to the town of Las Galeras where you can shop and buy your souvenirs.

I say go and have a blast. The value was great and if you get a room that a/c doesnt work or you think your sheets are too thin just ask for help cause they are very accomodating.....Air Canada rep Joel was very helful with any concerns.

My only 1 complaint with the resort is you should at least provide free wifi at the front...come on now!!
My only 1 complaint with Air Canada was the travel times and you offer no on board meal which I think is cheap......for that reason I may not travel Air Canada again ecspecially since I was trying to feed a hungry 7 year old.

Hope this helps and that you go and enjoy your vacation.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Grand Paradise Samana? Share your experiences!