“Fabulose staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Paradise Samana

You added Grand Paradise Samana to your Saves list
Grand Paradise Samana
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Las Galeras, Samana, Dominican Republic, Las Galeras, Dominican Republic (Formerly Casa Marina Bay)   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Las Galeras
Mississauga, Canada
“Fabulose staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We were at this hotel for two weeks, we are not very demanding regarding accommodations as far as everything is clean and food is decent and we can't complain about either , in fact the cleaning staff was very good , they were our water providers, I like to drink lots of water and they always provided me with the amount I used.
Food was not bad, I don't use to much salt and sometimes I find it was a bit salty but, it could be me.
For my birthday we had a romantic dinner at the beach, about two feet away from the water just the two of us a fantastic blue sky dotted with stars , champagne , white wine , THREE LOBSTERS EACH and the most fantastic waiter you can imagine, his name is Lirio , he took such care of us that made that day memorable for me.
The nightly entertainment was very nice, we been to many places with entertainment and were surprise how professional this one was, is hard to remember names but one we will is Zapata with his Michael Jackson dances, great fun.
If we were able to thank every one personally, it will be grea, but we only remember some names of people who made our stay enjoyable for example, Sandy Almonte the captain of the AYB, Leocalina who was there for all our breakfast and lunches and Elvio who was allways ready to help and Yudiza who was also very nice. Thank You to all of you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Just returned (mid 30’s couple) from a 1 week stay at Grand Paradise Samana and it was amazing!! Is it a 4 Star hotel? Definitely not but only because the rooms are a bit dated. When we got there we did have a few minor problems with our room (safe not working, shower and toilet problems) but all issues have been addressed within the first day. Otherwise the hotel is very clean, grounds well maintained, food is good and staff very friendly and helpful.

The beach is amazing, plenty of beach chairs and yes there is some sea weed close to the shore at certain spots but nothing major. What we enjoyed the most is the surroundings and of course some of the great people we meet!!! Being the only major hotel in the area makes it amazing since you can explore some amazing beaches, waterfalls, mountains, restaurants, discos and much more without the big tourist crowds….

The hotel is located 5 minutes from a lovely little village “Las Galerias” that you should definitely visit even if tour operators from the hotel advise against (reason being is that they don’t want you to buy tours for cheaper in the village).

If you are looking to explore the amazing beaches, waterfalls, and mountains in the surrounding areas you will need to find Rudy a local ranch owner. Very friendly guy speaks English, French and German fluently and he can take you anywhere you would like on his horses, 4X4 or ATV. To find him just ask around for Rudy around the dive and snorkeling center or you can find him on the right side of the beach (facing the ocean) with his beautiful horses. He really made our stay amazing!!

As for the bad reviews just ignore them as long as you are an easy going person. It’s funny to see people expecting luxury without the high price tag!! If you’re looking for luxury than this place is not for you, rather open your wallet and try a luxury hotel in the Barbados, Bermuda or perhaps the Virgin Islands.

Will be back since there is so much more to see!!!

Queens
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

First of all I’d like to say that anyone who’s writing that you should not expect any comfort or service in DR is simply wrong or didn’t get to compare to. There are beautiful hotels and restaurants competitive even to Manhattan’s ones. Grand Paradise Sanama is not in the list, but its prices are comparable. We stayed at GP Bavaro: at least, they have “guests services”. The hotel chain belongs to Dominican Republic: it sets all the standards. You can clearly see two opposite categories of employees: hardworking auxiliary low grade and managerial VIP ones, who won’t notice you. From very first moments you start to understand that they don’t care about vacationers, they simply don’t want you to come back. Only “friends & family” get good treatment. The beach is miserable comparing to any in Punta Cana: there is no “white powder sand”, a sign says “Do not swim close to the rocks”. Someone has complained that no one cleans sea grass - you’re lucky if they cleaned up the horse manure. All negative reviews are true: just one key for a room; local people, horses, dogs go thru the beach; no bacon; we arrived on Saturday and got yogurt only on Tuesday; long lines in the buffet – they do not serve tea or coffee (DIY); the only respond to your basic needs – “tomorrow” day after day; water sports – deposit $50; there are two local liquor brands: “Classic” and “Royale”, so they use the worst one “Classic”; out of 78 TV channels 72 in Spanish; etc. The receptionist Geury when you're asking about some basic needs besides usual "maniana" or "no" says something in Spanish to your back, making his collegues to laugh: this is a top of hospitality & service. Did I mention that food is horrible?
Just read the review "Second visit, still pleased": We stayed 01/26/13 - 02/02/13 and out of 8 days have only two last days sunny: every day of rains (even our driver told us that he's sorry about everyday rain: January is a rain season???). Just wondering: what did JeenM49 mean "real rain"?

Room Tip: Don't take first floor
Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We flew out of the Halifax Airport on Air Canada Vacations. Due to the strikes going on at that time, it was a little hairy near the date of travel, but in the end we left and were only delayed on the plane for an hour while the captains were striking for some reason. We did take off. Never again will I travel Air Canada, though.

We arrived in the morning and were greeted with a fruit punch cocktail and a smile. We paid for a room safe, and were escorted to our room which was just up from the beach. It was really large, a big bathroom and bedroom with a balcony looking out at the Turtle Pond. The curtains were frighteningly dirty and the bed sheets did not go all the way down to the bottom of the bed. This didn't really bother me (I laid out my towel at the bottom), but I'm sure my sister lost more than a night's sleep over it.

The beach was lovely (no bees, people kept saying there were bees/hornets in reviews before we left, but we saw none!). Lots of shade, lots of chairs. The water was full of seaweed beds, so if you are one who likes to walk out to deeper water you may be disappointing. There were a couple of sections where you could stand on sand and be up to your hips, but that was it. Far to the right there is a man (he looks Hawaiian?) who runs a snorkeling area just off the beach. Worth the $15 for sure, deep and sandy so you can swim and see the fish!

The food was GREAT. We never went hungry, and one day actually ate lunch twice just because it was so good. Pasta, pizza and salad and sandwiches could be had at the beach buffet which was our favorite. The main buffet had a different theme each night, our favorite of the week being Mexican - so good! We didn't eat once at the A la Cart restaurants as we were happy with the buffet. They served really cold beer in cold steins in the buffet as well which we loved. Breakfast was by far the best, the best omelettes I have ever eaten in my life. The drinks were cold and they had many to choose from!

The grounds were clean, friendly staff, Roberto made us the best cafe Americano and drinks of the whole place at the pool bar. One day he wasn't there and noone else knew how to make them. We missed him! :)

We had one day of some tummy troubles, but nothing too serious and we weren't room ridden. Come prepared with pepto and some tylenol and you should be fine. We did get a prescription of anti-biotics before we left just in case, but didn't have to use them! I have been to the Dominican once before, and we were really sick. So not the case this time!

We slept well and ate well. We did walk down to the small town and purchased some paintings from a store there. I felt sort of pushed into buying something, so unless bargaining is your thing I wouldn't recommend it.

We paid approx. $900 per person for the week taxes in, and it was a great value and well worth it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Sudbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Just returned on Jan29-30 from Grand Paradise Samana. We stayed one week, flying out of pearson in Toronto... This was our second trip to this resort (last year with our kids)... and going again next winter!!!( If they didn't sell the resort to Gran Bahia) Looking at some of the negative reviews, I am not sure what to say!!!... Except that you only reap the karma you sow!!... We have last year and this, recieved NOTHING but the very best in service and smiles... For the price of this resort, accept that there will be little "quirks", and you will not get glitzy, or shiny like a Bahia or Riu in Punta Cana and if that is what you want, go there and pay for it!!... If you do not look down your nose at staff, if you realize that EVERYWHERE in the Carribean smells musty, if you make an effort to tip, and say GRACIAS... your time here will be enjoyable... If you like rugged beauty, and can actually enjoy the outdoors, the REAL outdoors... you will enjoy your time here. This is the type of resort you can walk off of and actually be safe. Explore the coastline... find some geocaches... If you learn a little spanish, the locals are so friendly and willing to talk with you...Go fishing... Go zipline... Go catamaran... Go quadding... All worthy excursions... If you do the half day to El Limon by horseback, a couple detractors... One, if you are a rider at all, you only get crowbait here, it is not a western pleasure tour, and second, the horses only go halfway, and you have about 1/4 to 3/8 mile of stairs over about 400 ft elevation... between 750 and 1000 steps... be prepared.
The Sunwing Rep, Ramon, went above and beyond, arranging excursions...and the fishing trip!!!
Wife and I met another couple in the security line at Pearson, and we pretty much spentthe rest of the vacation together... So Pete and Garry, being the tournament anglingcrazy canuck fishing nuts that we are, had to get out, and brother, you GOTTA try this!!!... Imagine the WILDEST musky fishing you ever done, and then give it a heaping dose of steroids and you might come close to what fishing for Dorado and Wahoo is about!!!... We brought one fish back to the resort, and Ramon brought it to a gal, Morena, who prepped and cooked a meal for all four of us the next night at her bar, a two minute walk off the resort towards las galleras.
Running out of time, so gotta cut short... The food is really good here, lots of it... but if you need it hot, go at opening time... the drinks are soso, but cycle through, find what you like and stick with that... Animation crew are great people, all wonderful and approacheable... go here with the all this in mind and you will have a fantastic time... and tip the workers, they work hard for it... remember, look to Ramon if you want to go fishing, or anything off resort... tell him Cowboy sent you

Gananoque, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This was my husband and i"s first resort trip and it was amazing.(jan 22 to jan29)The rooms were amasing the staff was so good with us. Our rep Ramone was so friendly and helpful. We met some amazing people and created a lot of new friends, The beach was gorgeous. If you love the outdoors then this is the place for you. The shows were great. My husband and I participated in at least three pre shows never laughed so much in my life. The excursions were great and within reasonable prices.Thanks to Ramone setting it up, My husband was able to go deep sea fishing with his new best friend pete from sudbury and caught 6 fish between the two of them dorado and wahoo. They caught a 25 pound dorado witch was able to be brought back. A local cleaned the fish and we had a private supper outside her restaurant thanks Ramone for the amazing experience. The food at the buffet was great better then some of our canadien cuisine. love to wake up every morning to wild horses grazing in front of our room with the surf befind them. It was the best trip ever hated to come home but cant wait to go back so much more to do.

Room Tip: ocean view are the best we were in 1117
Rockwood, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Went for one week, Jan 22-29, 2013. The weather cooperated, only one day of real rain. The resort is around 25 to 30 years old and a bit "tired" in some ways but for the price I can overlook the old, well-worn towels and the stopper in the sink that was cranky. Many of the taps in the resort were new however. The housekeeping was good, the room was always promptly cleaned. We asked the desk for another chair for the balcony and got two very quickly. We were in Building #5, third floor, part of the newer part of the resort; room was newly painted. The airconditioning worked. Hot water came out of the tap quickly.

The oldest parts are one-story "garden-style" rooms ("villas") and are more money. The gardens are beautifully maintained, leaves swept up constantly. The beach is beautiful and there are coconut palms close to the shore. Immediately outside the hotel property is "jungle" - you are surrounded by nature. Walk east down the beach and you enter farm country with cattle, horses, and some private vacation homes (some can be rented). No one tries to sell anything. Go west into the small town and there are some of the vendors who are "mildly" aggressive but nothing compared to other resorts I've been to.
There is a reasonable selection of food including local foods like red beans, yucca, and nama (?). Chicken is served at every meal, even breakfast. Salad fixings are numerous and safe to eat. Always a selection of cheese although I found the local cheese salty. The grill was open for every meal as well. I eat low carb and found plenty to eat altho I couldn't eat most of the desserts which looked yummy. Breakfast is repetitive but the dinner buffet changed daily. There are four bars conveniently located. You can get coffee and tea any time of day. There is a small library, mostly books in German (the resort caters to Europeans), and games like scrabble. You never have to fight for a beach lounge chair. Ever. I mean it.

I did not go to any shows. there was a kiddie play area and house in the middle of the property but I never saw anyone in it. On the weekend there seemed to be local day-trippers and they could be noisy, esp in one of the pools but it was easy enough to change locations and go to the other pool or to the beach.

There are only about 4 excursions available so if you want parasailing or waterskiing, this is not the place for you. Virtually no shopping so if you are a shop-til-you-drop person, don't come here. If you want North American food, don't come here. If you object to placing used toilet paper in a trash can instead of in the toilet, don't come here. If you want historical sites like castles or churches, don't come here. If you want 25 selections of Scotch whiskey, don't come here. If you don't like people around you speaking european languages, don't come here (I would guess at least three-quarters of the resort guests were from Europe or South America).

If you want a relaxing garden atmosphere where you can walk the local roads, do a little birding, and take in the countryside without being hassled (and even take a horseback ride with the locals), this is for you. I wish I spoke Spanish because the locals are friendly and more than willing to chat. I'm not sure Arturo the goose speaks anything but he is friendly too.

Room Tip: No elevators in the newer three story buildings. Rooms in the three story buildings overlooking the...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Las Galeras
Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa
#13 of 59 in Samana Province
4.5 of 5 stars 2,888 reviews
Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection

Been to Grand Paradise Samana? Share your experiences!