“Not worth the money” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Omaha, Nebraska
“Not worth the money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2010

Can you say false advertising? This is not close to a 5 star resort...the food was not good, half of the resteraunts were not open the entire time we were there (5 nights), the service was beyond slow, and our "upgraded room" did not have a working AC or fridge. Do not attempt to complain, you will get a "no problem mon" response and it is really not a propblem for them as they do not take care of it. To top it off they have some deal worked out with the locals who would come to the pool and swim with their clothes on right down to their dirty jeans and raid the salad bars and stuff everything in your purses all while you waited almost an hour and a half for a hamburger. Not the most expensive place but DONT WASTE your money there. We travel a lot so I do know what good service is and they do not have it at this resort!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
DimitrisGM, General Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 27, 2010
Greetings: Although this review stands alone amidst all others, allow me the opportunity to address the points therein. I am not quite sure what exactly was falsely advertised. Like every business in the world, we allow our staff one or two days off depening on their duties. Similarly, our 7 restaurants will have to be included in that rotation. However, all guests are sure to have the chance to dine at all restaurants during your stay no matter how brief (the stay).

I am happy you were able to share your vacation with local and international guests alike. We believe that part of a successful vacation includes meeting and interacting with other folks. I am not sure how you were able to distinguish local and non-local guests. It surely cannot be based on the ethnic background.

Again, I am not sure exactly what you found inconsistent with your expectations. If other guests' behavior upset you, please accept my apologies, I suppose.

Thank you for writing in. Please do not hesitate to contact us, if there is anything at all we can do from this end.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,332)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Whistler, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2010

Did alot of research on several hotels before I chose this one, and despite some negative reviews, I had my heart set on the Grand Palladium, which was definitely the right choice!

Here's a detailed review from a real, average Canadian couple:

Bus ride from airport was about an hour, took a little longer than I expected, as we had to go a little out of the way to drop some travelers at another resort.. oh well! i thought the location was perfect though! i didnt want to be right in mo'bay, because i didnt want to be right at the airport and in the city. and its only about 40 minutes to negril, where we went twice. Lucea is a nice small community and we felt incredibly safe and comfortable at the resort.

Check in was a breeze, they immediately brought us some rum punch which was nice after a day of traveling! After a couple minutes at the front desk, a bellboy drove us over to our villa (#14- Jamaica side).. Got into our room and it was fabulous! Sure, there was a crack in the ceiling, but i think that was the worst of it, and it had absolutely no effect on our stay. the villas themselves are really nice, and the room was perfect! spacious enough, big balcony, large bathroom with jetted tub (which we didn't use because it was warm enough in Jamaica!). i guess if i had to complain about something in the room, it would be the temperature in the shower; sometimes it would switch back and forth from hot to cold. if you turned it off and then back on, the temperature would usually even out. also, the water pressure was better than mine at home, which is important to girls like me with thick hair!.. nicely decorated and clean.

The grounds: beautiful and well kept. we were there in november, so they were doing some renos, but nothing that caused any problem for us. i absolutely love the look of the hotel, so no complaints here. also, i had read some reviews about how the resort was too big and it took to long to walk around, and we thought that was pretty funny! from our villa to the sunset cove beach (which is on the lady hamilton side) was absolutely no more than 10 minutes away (and we were walking slower than usual, we're on vacation after all!! )

The pools: we really only used the infinity pool, which was beautiful and very well maintained. all the other pools looked clean as well. i read some reviews where some guests complained that the pools were too cold, but we didn't think so at all. they weren't warm, but who wants to go in a warm pool on a hot sunny day?! maybe it's because we are used to the lakes in Whistler, but we were quite happy with the temperature.

The beaches: we spent most of our time at the sunset cove beach, which was beautiful.. i believe all of the beaches are man-made, except for this one (i may be wrong..) in any case, it was perfect to us! lots of free water activities (we used the snorkel equipment-saw some cool stuff!, kayaks, windsurfers, and catamarans). I admit, the beach is no "7 mile beach" like in negril, but it was good enough for us! the water was quite warm too. my boyfriend ate from the jerk hut on the beach several times and loved it.

The food: we ate at the buffet most nights, mostly just because it was easy and convenient, and my boyfriend found it too hot to wear long pants at night. the buffet was good, not amazing, but definately good enough! I am a vegetarian, and my boyfriend is a butcher, and we both had no problem at all finding something to eat for every meal and never left unsatisfied. the desserts were pretty good, especially the chocolate cake (wasnt a fan of the cheesecake, which normally i love, but who cares!). We ate at the indian, pasta and steakhouse ala cartes.. indian was decent, portions a little small, not really authentic, but i suppose you are in jamaica, not india! ;).. italian was good, no complaints! bubbas was good, they had a full vegetarian menu (the spinach dip was awesome!). my boyfriend had a steak which he said was good, usually has a steak medium rare, so he ordered it rare, knowing it would be a little thin, and it was perfect!

The staff: Absolutely no complaints! everyone was really friendly and helpful!! a little slow at times (one day our fridge was not restocked and we called for water-they said they would bring some right away-called back an hour later, and finally got our water another half hour later), but really was not a big deal! servers were great, bartenders fantastic! activities crew were really friendly but not pushy! pool attendants were super nice! we especially loved Germain (sports bar server), Dwayne (pool attendant) and unfortunately I can't remember our favorite buffet server name at the moment!!

Overall, we had an amazing 2 weeks! We would definitely go back and recommend this resort to friends! We never went to the disco, so have no idea what that was like, but did enjoy the live band at the infinity bar several nights! very relaxing vacation, exactly what we were looking for! please ignore any negative reviews you read, and check this place out for yourself! i can't imagine how anyone could be diappointed! we loved it!

Shelby Township, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

Prior to writing my review I think it is important to give you an overview of my age, travel companions, travel experience etc. It is difficult to judge from previous experiences the type of people that are writing these reviews. Every point of view is different depending on the traveler's expectations and experience.

My husband and I traveled with friends to this resort. My best friend and I (who also attended) and her family have been on over 18 tropical vacations in the last few years and we would like to say we have experienced a little bit of everything from the Atlantis, to the El Conquistador in Puerto Rico to a "spring break" resort in Cancun.

We went to the Palladium in the beginning of December. This is supposed to be the "slow" time for the resort. The resort was not busy and the restaurants were not open every night. The restaurants rotated by night and we were able to experience them all except the Indian restaurant.

The resort is a ways from the airport and town.

Overall, we were very pleased with the food. Of course, it is all-inclusive resort and, in my opinion, all-inclusive food will never match up to that of other al carte resorts. However, we always found something to fill us up. Breakfast was typical. The ketchup is terrible but the bacon, omelets and fruit were always good. Also there were also mini bagels with cream cheese. Options for all.

Lunch: We went to the Jamaica jerk hut some days. Us girls were not crazy about this place. It is a long walk from the main pool and beach and spicy. Sometimes the rice and chicken were "out" and we would have to wait. However, the boys LOVED this place and went there every single day for lunch.

Buffet lunch: We found something to eat every single day. Asian day was awesome! Also they did grill chicken right there for you. I also enjoyed the paninis. Again, options for all. Do not expect AMAZING food because you will be disappointed. It is impossible for them to please each and every appetite especially in a foreign country. This is not a cruise ship, it is a Jamaican resort.

BUFFET: We only ate here one night. See above. It was perfectly fine. The homemade pasta was great.

MEXICAN: This was just alright. Our service was really slow but we made the best of it. At each restaurant (except the asian) there is a salad bar and bread that gets you a nice start. I had fajitas and they were good. The enchiladas were dry and the tortilla chips were stale. We loved the soup.

ITALIAN: This was our favorite place. The food was excellent all around.

CREOL: The jerk chicken is good from here. However, overall this was not our type of food.

STEAK: I read reviews on here that the meat was undercooked. We had the opposite result. The filets were butterflied and therefore overcooked. Overall this place was good.

ASIAN: This place had really small portions and no salad/bread buffet. Overall the food was okay. Some people in our group loved their meals and others were a bit disappointed. The men were still hungry so we went down to the "bbq" outside by the pool for some more food.

The rooms are spacious and overall nice. We loved our bed. I do agree with other reviews that the rooms seemed like they could be maintained more. Our rooms were clean but there were a few marks on the walls, a broken soap dish, etc. Everything was fixed in a timely manner and nothing was "dirty" or would any way effect your stay. Our phone would not work and I called 3x to get it fixed. It was not until my husband called that they actually came and fixed it. The showers have excellent water pressure and the rooms do have safes.
I agree with other reviews that the walls are thin. Some mornings we could hear furniture being moved above us. Also there are a lack of wash clothes. We asked the maid and she gave us more but I still had to use a couple of my own because I use 2 wash clothes a day.

The pool was cold. Mid-week they did add warm water to it. We still swam a bit and went to the swim up bar. It was clean as well.

We had no problem getting chairs by the pool each day. However, we went at a slow time. The pool bar was great as well.

The staff were wonderful. A few rude ones here and there but overall we were pleased. The staff at the pool were great. We played archery, darts, drinking games, volleyball, dancing lessons, bingo etc. Sometimes they would get a bit "annoying" but it was nice to have someone encourage us to do things. There is one man at the pool bar that expects a tip each time. I refused to tip him after seeing him look down at people's hands and only waiting on them if they had a dollar in their hand.

It is difficult to walk in the water because it is rocky. The beach is beautiful though and quiet. I thought the beach by the jerk hut was a bit dirty but that is where the water sports are.

There are two pools by the spa. One is very warm and relaxing. There are also two hot tubs in this area. You do not have to get a massage or other spa services in order to use the nice spa pool.

Again, this is an all-inclusive resort in Jamaican. This is not the Ritz. The drinks were "different". The rum is Jamaican rum which tastes very strong. I noticed that the vodka drinks seemed watered down. The homemade banana daiquiris are great. It is important to keep in mind that the pop/soda in Jamaican is different just like in Mexico and Bahamas. It does not have the same amount of fiz and tastes a bit watery.

We went zip-lining. It was a fun tour. It cost $77.00 per person for a 2.5 hour excursion. I would recommend it. Personally, I liked the zip lining in the Mayan Riveria better but this was still enjoyable. I did not want to wear the helmut because they did not give us hairnets. The helmuts were not mandatory.

We went into town on the bus to Margaritaville. The resort provided this free bus ride on Tuesday night. We went from 10:00-2:00ish. It was fun but Margaritville is a bit "dirty". It is not one of Jimmy Buffet's typical restaurants/bars. We went here a few years ago too and were uncomfortable staying by ourselves. However, with the large group of people from the resort we felt safe.

Also when we went a few years ago we ate at a good restaurant called (I believe) the Pelican in Montego Bay.

There is a computer lab. It is approximately $5.00 for 15 minutes. I believe it gets cheaper the more minutes you buy. You can also pay a certain amount ($20.00) for unlimited use per day if you bring your own computer.

The course is terrible. Kids may enjoy it.

Overall, we loved the resort and felt that it was well worth every dollar we paid. We felt clean, safe and in good hands. This was one of the best vacations we ever had partially because of the resort and partially because of the awesome people we went with.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

Check-in was quick and efficient. It's a very beautiful resort – the grounds and buildings are quite picturesque and it is well maintained. There are plenty of restaurants, bars and pools. Rooms are spacious, the king bed had a comfortable pillow-top mattress and the in-room Jacuzzi worked well. Liquor flows freely and is of reasonably good quality including some top-shelf brands. Food was good and there is sufficient variety in the main buffet to please most appetites. Though it is a family resort, there is a adults only section which includes a small pool & bar as well as a small beach near Sunset Cove in Lucea Bay, where women can sunbathe topless. The natural beach at picturesque Sunset Cove is relatively sheltered and clam. Access to the pools, steam room, sauna and lazy river at Renova Spa is provided free of charge. There are plenty of activities and the house band is quite good. The staff is excellent – very personable and helpful.

My chief complaint would be the noise in the villas. IMO it is a poor design - there is an open "courtyard" in the centre which acts as an echo chamber because the buildings are all concrete, marble and glass. Every little sound is amplified. Particularly bad, are the slams of doors that resounded like thunderclaps throughout the structure. People would come in late at night and slam the door to the suite closed which wakened me more than once and would startle me awake as I was dozing off. One night my wife and I were awakened by loud chatter from 4 people as they stood in the courtyard area having a drunken conversation. The last morning of our stay, a couple was arguing at 5am - a woman was screeching so much that Security removed them from the resort. I could easily hear the phones, Jacuzzis and A/C units of neighboring suites. There was some brown sludge left in the bottom of the Jacuzzi after we used it for about 30 minutes. The holder for the shower head was broken, making it difficult to direct the spray onto you. The “mini-bar” consists of two bottles of Red Stripe. The windows in the stairwells of the villas don't seal properly so when the wind was strong it came whistling through them at night when they were closed. One of the gas-powered, standard transmission shuttle carts has a broken muffler which they refuse to fix so it sounds like a mini-Indy going on outside our villa when engine RPMs go high as they zip around the resort.

None of the food is authentic cuisine. The Jerk Chicken is a joke – it is BBQ chicken with sauce and not very good sauce at that. Lotus Asian Restaurant is deafeningly noisy when it is full and the dishes are all meat and noodles – vegetables would die of loneliness here. The Poseidon Seafood Restaurant overlooking Sunset Cove was closed for the last five of the seven days we were there – a fact that should have been pointed out to us during our orientation, when we received the restaurant schedule. As a result we did not get to eat there because it was only open on the day we arrived (in the late afternoon) and the next evening when we booked a tour for Luminous Lagoon with a 5 pm departure. Admittedly I could have eaten there that night but one does not expect the most popular restaurant to be closed for five days. Four of the days were for “deep cleaning” and for our last full day at the resort a private event had been booked.

They cycled the same three Christmas Carols in the lobby for the entire week of our stay – made me feel sorry for the staff stationed there – it was driving us crazy but we only had to endure a few repetitions each day. Though the resort has been recognized for having environmentally friendly practices, they use plastic drink cups and use sugar, jam and marmalade packets packaged in plastic. Lastly, tours and souvenirs are highly overpriced.

On Wed. Dec. 8th, I spoke with the Operations Manager, David Martin about the noise in the villas and Lotus and the noisy cart. His response to the noise in the villas is that they will be installing signs. He had no response to the noise levels in Lotus. As to the carts, I had suggested they should be using electric shuttle carts which are much quieter but David said they don’t have enough power to make it up the hills on the resort, however he neglected to mention the broken muffler on the cart. Last but not least I told him I considered it very poor planning to have the Poseidon Restaurant closed for 5 days. I agree with David that the deep cleaning needs to be done but to schedule a private event after being closed to everyone for 4 days is wrong. His response was that the event could have been booked many months ago but I am quite sure the deep cleaning is done on a regular schedule, so there is in fact no excuse for this. We concluded by David stating he would pass along my feedback to the resort manager, Dmitri, however I didn’t get a response from Dmitri or David before I left on Dec. 12th, so I have to wonder whether or David passed along my concerns as he did not seem very receptive to me.

You can have great fun during the daytime, but this is the noisiest resort I have ever experienced. Getting a good night’s sleep is next to impossible.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

Stayed here for a destination wedding. My first time in Jamaica & first time at a Palladium resort. Let me sum it up:

1. infinity bar - very fun at night! Great music, scenic sunsets, great atmosphere

2. service - employees go beyond and out of their way to try to make you happy. Much appreciated. Our airconditioner wasn't working too well & they sent someone right away (it was 1am), and even followed up with a note to call them and let them know if it was ok. We never got around to calling but it was nice to see that they really took care of any problem. (I want to list the names of some who particularly made my stay memorable @ the end of my post).

3. bars - fast service, variety of drinks, friendly bartenders. Pool bar was fun to hang out at.

4. weddings - gorgeous, well-organized, every detail seemed to be taken care of.

5. Something to do for everyone! Every age group, from kids to oldies were entertained.

6. No one bothered us when we smoked up!!! Comon let's face it -it's JAMAICA. 90% of tourists picked it over other countries for their herbs!! Of course we did it on the corners of the resorts, and maybe no one even knew but really had a great time experiencing real Jamaica!

7. Spa massages were excellent and great ambiance in the spa. Relaxing.

1. food was sub-par. Disappointing restaurants, esp the steakhouse but I guess grade A beef is a north american thing so maybe not the resort's fault. Paastafarian the italian restaurant was actually quite good, and food came piping hot, which was appreciated after we waited almost 2 hours from placing our order! We chose to eat at the buffet for all three meals for the last few days because it seemed to have the best food.

2. Disco/club on the resort - wish the DJ would play more of our requested songs!

3. Beaches aren't nice white sandy etc like i was hoping for, but probably not the resorts fault. We went snorkeling and the water was so choppy that day, and we only saw a couple of fish! Very disappointing, but the guide did tell us it was a rough day out in the water.

4. Resort is at least 30 min drive from any activity (Negril's beach, Rick's Cafe, clubs, etc.) But it's easy to organize transportation.

OK so I wanted to share the names of those employees who were stellar and went out of their way to be awesome:
1. GINO - a lifeguard, at Sunset Cove, or at the main pool. Friendly, professional and extremely informative. DWIGHT, another lifeguard, also extremely nice.
2. Dancers/Activity organizers by the pool - BLAZE, BUFFY, PANTHER, BLACKOUT, and some others - fun, engaging, and really tried to bring the reggae spirit into all the tourists!
(I don't think these are their real names btw)
3. Waiter MARVIN - super AWESOME. I don't know how he knew that I was scared of the crow who was chiling a little too close to my table, I never said anything, just kept an eye on it. But he came out of nowhere and made sure I was comfortable. Very very much appreciated.

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010

Just returned from 9 day/8 night stay. We stayed on the Lady Hamilton side of the resort. Can you say AWESOME? No really, AWESOME. The friendliest staff, great pools, beautiful beaches, FANTASTIC drinks. OK, so the food was at times, just so so, who had time to eat? It was paradise. Loved our room, bldg. 32, loved the rum punch, the jerk chicken at the Sport's Beach restaurant, the coffee, the pool with the swim up bar, the pool-side bar, the staff, the high end bar with the fabulous desserts, our room, the sunshine, etc., etc., etc. We hired a driver through JUTA, Sharpe who was totally awesome, too. Highly recommend. You can get him though the JUTA desk in the lobby. He is the best. This was, the absolute best vacation ever. Specials thanks to Nicholas, Clive and Brenda who made our stay exceptional and deserve raises for their exceptional customer service. Cannot wait to return. Loved every minute of it. My only complaint, the sheets are starched and they feel ucky with the humidity. Oh, well!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

My wife and I went to the Grand Palladium for our third anniversary in November 2010. On our arrival we were greeted with fresh hand towels and cocktail. The checking was smooth and we received our VIP armbands. We were transported to our room in a golf cart - nice ride. Up to that point it was the best vacation that I have experienced.
The room was nice and spacious but there was one problem; the TV did not work. I call guest services and they sent I technician that could fix the problem, so I had to settle for the radio. The next day I called again about the TV and they promised to change our room. They changed the room as promised but the room I got had a bad odor so I had to call guest services again. The engineers came and partially fix the problem to a satisfactory state. Anyway, outside the room was amazing - the spa, beach, gym, restaurants were magnificent. The food was well prepared. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and plan to return very soon.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
3.5 of 5 stars 4,609 reviews

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!