“HERE IS AN HONEST AND FACTUAL REVIEW - NEGATIVE PEOPLE BE WARNED!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   The Point, Lucea, Jamaica   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Lucea
Saskatoon
“HERE IS AN HONEST AND FACTUAL REVIEW - NEGATIVE PEOPLE BE WARNED!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

My husband and I have just returned from a great trip to Jamaica.

We stayed at the Grand Palladium and were very cautious about what to expect after reading the reviews. All I can say to a person reading the reviews is to go and make up your own opinion.

Jamaica is a very interesting country. If you compare what Jamaica has compared to North America, you will be disappointed right from the get go. Jamaica does not have the same access to raw materials as Canada or the US. Jamaican's are incredibly handy with using the resources that they have.

Our guest room was very spacious, king bed was fine and the jetted tub in the bathroom was clean and worked well. Yes there is a bit of a smell - it is called "ocean air" and is meant to be in a place that is located on the ocean.

We traveled during low season and not all of the a la cartes were open each night. We had a chance to experience Bubba's steakhouse (twice) and Lotus (once). No reservations were needed for dinner. At Bubba's we had steak both time and it was GREAT!!!!! The cooks tend to undercook the steaks compared to how we cook them at home. Medium well was equivalent to our medium rare.

There was always something that each of us found at the buffets - never had a problem with selection, taste or temperature.

The Entertainment team was FANTASTIC. They were not pushy, if you did not want to join in, No Problem Man!! D.K. - you rock the bingo team.....

The Pools were all great. This is the carribean - the pools are NOT heated, and do not need to be heated. The pools were cleaned every morning and the pool attendants did a great job at monitoring the pools during the day.

What more can I say - would I return - absolutely in a hearbeat.

The best part about our trip was our greeting by JEAN @ the lobby Rum Punch station. Jean had a great smile and gave us a warm welcome and remembered us throughout our stay.

There was working going on at the resort during our stay - everyone was very friendly and offered help.

The only NEGATIVE thing I could comment on is the behaviours of some of the guests at the hotel. Part of my job is to observe and train people on their body language and behaviour - what I witnessed towards the service staff at the Palladium was not positive. Jamaica's number one industry is tourism and they take that seriously.

Take the time to talk to some of the staff - a friendly smile and a willingness to get to know the people that you see everyday will only make your experience that much more enriched.

THANK YOU TO ALL OF THE STAFF AND MANAGEMENT @ THE PALLADIUM

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

3,515 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (920)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
North Dakota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2010

I know the reviews sound like a broken record, so I won't elaborate much, but yes, this place is nothing but a disappointment. Here's why:
1. Those animals or crickets that people talk about (I tried to look up some info on them, and I think they are actually lizards) sound like alarm clocks going off all night. Since the rooms are in an building that has a huge open atrium in the center with no roof, it echoes like crazy. I bought some earplugs and that still didn't drown them out so it was impossible to sleep at night.
2. If you have noisy neighbors, you will hear EVERYTHING going on next door. And four doors down from you. Like previously mentioned, sound echoes in those buildings. and the walls & doors are thin.
3. The pool is frigid. On the really hot days, we tried to sit in it and probably made it for like 10 minutes. This was especially disappointing because I love swim-up bars! :) The swim up bar was never even busy because it was in the shade and too cold to get to!
4. The food was definitely sub-par. I was hungry most of the time. We had a couple good milkshakes and bread, but that was the extent of good cuisine. The restaurants were horrible. We tried the steakhouse, italian and creole. The "steak" was seriously inedible and they called it a New York Strip! At the sports bar, they have an ice cream station and there was long hairs in the ice cream! It was disgusting. On a side note, I am not at all picky eater so it wasn't a matter of taste.
5. The "service" (if you can call it that) was awful. They joke about being on Jamaican time and being laid back, but they full-on avoided you at this resort, with the exception of a couple bartenders. If they saw you coming up to the front desk, they would scramble to the back - no joke! After 3 nights of no sleep, I asked to be moved to a different room ANYWHERE on the resort. Before even looking anything up, they said they didn't have any other rooms available which is pretty hard to believe considering it wasn't very busy and it was a huge resort. During one of my trips to the front desk, there was a girl there who said they had ants all over their room and they kept telling her they would move them, but it had been two days! Ants were everywhere she said and in their luggage, beds...ugh. Also, many of the staff would make it quite obvious that they wanted a tip. It was obnoxious.
6. Little to no entertainment.

I have been to several all-inclusives, and I can't even put the Grand Palladium in the same category. I would have rather stayed home - worst vacation ever!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
DimitrisGM, General Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 27, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write in. Allow me to address your observations in the order they appear in order to assure all future guests are well informed and able to make an independent decision.

Animals/crickets - you are correct. At night, there are crickets, frogs, birds, fish and all sorts of life existing on and around our property. We pride ourselves for preserving nature and being an eco friendly Hotel. We invite you to visit our City Hotels where you may observe and enjoy buildings, traffic and other incidents of urban life.

Noisy Neighbors - you are correct again. If you have noisy neighbours in New York, North Dakota or Jamaica it is annoying. While we make every effort to assure guests do not disturb other guests peace and enjoyment, we rely on folks's decency to preserve same. I am sorry you feel the Hotel is at fault for other guests' behavor.

Frigid Pool - As mentioned in previous responses, with a mean temperature of 80F we do not feel it is necessary to heat our pools. We do however, believe, that many times, due to infrequent expsoure to sun, many of our guests develop very sensitive skin when "shocked" to the ultraviolet rays which causes the reaction to hot or cold to be increased.

Food - With 7 a la carte restuarants, 2 buffets and a 22 hr a day Sports Bar, it is unlikely you will not find something to satisfy your taste buds and hunger. I must confess, considering all of the above, I am not surprised of your reaction concerning the food. Suffice it to say, our steaks are USDA Prime and are imported from the USA.

Rooms - We may not have had the category (Suite, Ocean Front) room you requested. You are correct, all our rooms are quaint, luxury rooms located in separate villas which allows you to live the true Caribbean experience. I am sorry you were not satisfied.

Thank you for your time. Please do not hesitate to contact us, if there is anything else we can do for you. Kind regards,
Crowsnest Pass, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

We traveled to this resort for a wedding. The wedding was well done, rain canceled the beach portion but the alternate location in the spa was OK. We had a delightful dinner in a dining room that was very cozy ( we were a small group of 13). The resort is very large and a lot of walking is required to get anywhere. The main pool is large and the only refreshment stand is on the opposite side. There are no poolside or beach side snack stands. There are 2 smaller pools( located close to the room villas) that were good to congregate at when everyone returned from excursions, but after 5pm the bars were closed.Getting a bottle of water required a trip to the front desk or settling for a 4 oz glass at the bar. We were there during off season ; there was very limited dining options and the buffet was less than stellar. It was advertised that men required pants for the a la carte restaurants but no where did it state that men had to have sleeves to enter the buffet. One of our party arrived for breakfast in shorts and a neat ( no graphics) sleeveless crew neck t-shirt and was made to eat at an outside table. A little ridiculous since women can enter in bathing suit wraps with no sleeves at all.The entertainment in the infinity lounge was for the most part good for getting one ready to go to bed, very laid back. The sports bar was a big cavernous room with no ambiance, pool tables with no cues, ping pong table that required a trip to the bar to find paddles, air hockey that the cord was ripped out of, generally very poor. We have traveled extensively in Mexico & central America, usually staying in 3+ star hotels. We have also stayed in a 5* in Mexico and this hotel is a 3* at best during the off season, maybe things improve during prime time. On a positive note the Spa was great & we enjoyed wonderful massages for a reasonable price. Our room was done up nicely each day but the sand on the floor never went away. Our ceiling fan didn't work but was repaired promptly when we advised them.There is a small pond in the center of each villa of rooms and they are home to frogs and crickets that chirp loudly all night, most nights a sleeping pill was required to be able to sleep.This resort has the physical attributes to be a great resort but it certainly needs some polishing to become a 5*

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

First, I would like to state that the reviews are pretty accurate about the hotels on this site. I will definitely use this site for future stays at hotels/resorts throughout the world.

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa is such a beautiful property, but the food leaves much to be desired. We ended up having American brand cereal for breakfast and salads for lunch and dinner. If anything, I lost weight which was a good thing.

The front desk messed up our order to dine at one of the fine dining specialty restaurants - Jamaican Creole. After much debate with the greeter we were able to get another reservation. Well … the food was awful. We had pink crab cakes which tasted like mush, when we returned stateside I had to make my own and the seafood gumbo was brown and not tasty. The people seated next to us just left the restaurant during the arrival of the entrée. The couple across from us had one bite of the crab cakes and spit it out (sorry ... did not mean to be so graphic).

We have a young child and they did not have room service. It was the hardest thing for us to get some milk so that we could give the baby at night.

On a good note, the nightly entertainment was good.

We have stayed at other locations in Jamaica, so we had something to compare to and unfortunately this place did not meet our requirements. As I stated in the beginning such a beautiful property … gone bad.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

Were should I start. When we first got to the hotel, they were so disorganized with checking in such a large group, instead of having everything ready for us (since they were expecting such a large group) we all had to stand in line to check in! The rooms seemed okay when we first entered but soon found that the shower door doesn't close all the way so water would be all over the floor after our showers, the sliding glass door had a huge gap in it so at night when it was windy, it would howl and whistle all night and we had 2 kids with us who could not sleep.
They decided to put all the families with children on the second floor. They do not have elevators in any of the villas (poor planning!). We had to carry our stroller up and down the stairs every day while the staff stood in a corner and watched us struggle with carrying the stroller and 2 kids!
The hotel had only 2 elevators and they both did not work so again, anytime we would go upstairs to the restaurants, we had to carry the stroller!
At the buffet restaurant, you could not take out any food, which meant that since we were travelling with kids, they could not eat anything outside and when the children got hungry we had to trek to the sports bar to get food since the buffet was not always open. As for the a la carte restaurants, they tell you to make reservations, but when you try, they say it first come, first served. When we did get into one restaurant, we could not find our server for drinks so I went to the bar to get apple juice for my daughter in her Elmo sippy cup. When I gave it to my daughter, she complained her throat hurt, the bartender put Tequila in her cup instead of apple juice!!!! When we confronted him, he didn't seem to even care!!! My poor daughter was so sick! Do they not understand a sippy cup is for juice! I did not ask for alcohol!!!! We found ants in the cereal that were the individual packages ones and glass in the rice plate, Does no one do any type of inspection?
The pool looks very nice but the water is COLD, they do not have heated pools!
All in all, I would not waste your money on this resort! If you go to Jamacia, try the RUI resorts, they have a better reputation and you will probably enjoy yourself better there.
When we mentioned all our concerns to the manager, he did not seem to care, they already got our money, why should they care!! Please, please think twice before going here!

• Stayed November 2010
DimitrisGM, General Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 24, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write in. Be that as it may, we take great exception at your attempts to misrepresent and intentionally omit materiall facts about your stay. For the benefit of future guests as well as, for the record, I address your concerns in the order they appear.

Check in - as in every Hotel when large groups check-in it is expected additional time is needed to process everyone. We offer drinks (alcoholic and non as well as, cold face towels for all our guests) and our Guest Relations and Lobby hosts are at hand to answer any questions while the line is expedited. For your guidance, all rooms are pre-assigned and all check-in packages are ready and prepared for your arrival. If you believe that taking a guest's credit card information, signing the guest card is supefluous and uncessary, we regret to inform it is a process that is mandatory.

Villas/elevators - Our Resort is unique in that it, among other things, does not offer bulk, heavy buildings like most city hotels. We try to preserve the tropical, Island flavor as much as possible by offering individual, 3 story villas. You are welcome to request ground floor rooms. If you do not, which you didnt, the Hotel assigns rooms randomly based on category and availability.

Buffets/Take out food. You are correct. The Hotel has a strict policy on food being stored improperly or transported to areas outside the designated venues. We have found that guests take food to their room, forget to observe basic sanitary guidelines and then hastily blame the Hotel for the consequences. We have an obligation to safeguard the Hotel's rules as well as, our guests' health. Once again, we regret if you find this unreasonable. On another note, I am delighted to advise, we have 24hr venues where you can always find food. Our Sports Bar is open from 9am to 6am every day where everyone, including kids, can find chicken, sandwiches, pizza, etc. to satisfy anyone's hunger. As such, I am not quite certain why you would need to remove buffet food.

Drinks/Bar - If in fact you did order an non-alcoholic drink for your daughter and the bartender erred during the rush of the service, please accept our apologies. Three Managers, the nurse and the doctor were summoned, and as you remember, all turned out very well. In fact, I spoke to you personally the following day at the buffet and you confirmed how well everyone had reacted to the situation. Obviously, when you asked for compensation and that request was declined, it had an effect on the overall experience of your stay.

Pools - Our Pools are not heated as our average ambiant temperature is over 85F degrees. I dont think I need to comment further on this point.

Thank you for your attention. I am confident I have clarified most of the outsanding issues. Please do not hesitate to contact me, if there is anything further I can do from this end.
Regards,
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

I traveled to the grand palladium for a wedding and I must say the hotel need some work regarding planning and coordination. It was a large group and the first thing, the rooms were not booked in the same vicinity much less the same resort--fine!
I would suggest if a large party is traveling for such an event, upon checking-in, an itinerary should be provided. Yes, one can get such info from friends/family but it is not a must you see them on the premises.

With regards to the wedding itself, ceremonies on a beach is always beautiful but what took place after was very distasteful. We had to wait 30min before going to the reception. The view was nice, but I would suggest some type of snacks if one has to wait for the reception.

They were short staffed and wait time was disgusting to be frank. When we finally received the food, it wasn't hot (temperature). There were no bread or anything on the table to munch on. I am fully aware this may have been b/c of the couple and their budget, but still, for a hotel that boast so much regarding wedding planning etc, something should have been worked out.

The sound system used for the reception was overly priced and frankly sounded horrible. The mic was very muffled and the sound was terrible. Basically, that killed the entire celebration vibe.

A friend of mine got stuck in an elevator and she basically had to pry herself out. There were no emergency buttons, no phone or anything. She was in the elevator with no air for roughly 20mins. Again, she had to pry herself out. It also has been brought to my attention that upon leaving the elevator after this ordeal, a staff saw and I'm pretty sure she heard her banging on the doors, did not even offer a sorry of some sort. God forbid if she wasn't a healthy woman.

Overall, the resort itself is really nice with regards to appearance etc... The staff is very friendly, but the food wasn't good at all. Even the liquor was cheap. You would think being in JA you would have some quality alcohol or some REAL jerk chicken at least, but that was not avail. Personally if you prefer a hotel that is nice looking w/ mediocre food and cheap liquor, then palladium is the place for you.

My biggest gripe with Jamaican resorts is that they claim to cater to the visitors too much where the authenticity of Jamaica is lost. There must be a balance. I suggest GP work on that.

• Stayed November 2010
Red Deer, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

For a resort that is only 2 1/2 years old, there is quite a bit of disrepair.
The room has a beautiful Jacuzzi tub, but the drain didn't work, so I had to stuff a facecloth down the drain (when I was given facecloths). I couldn't phone the desk for help because the phone didn't work. The window seals are terrible, so you can hear the wind howling through the room. There are crickets outside the room door, in the small lobby of the villa, and they squeal all night, so that sleep is almost impossible.
The room was not cleaned well, the sand on the floor from the first day was still there on the last day.
The mini fridge was hit and miss for water - sometimes they filled it, and sometimes they didn't.
There are supposedly 6 a la carte restaurants, but only 3 were open.
There is a sports bar with pool tables, but only one pool cue. A ping pong table with no balls. An air hockey table with the cord cut in half, so you can't use it.
There is water volleyball, but no ball.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!