“Wonderful - Fun - Terrific Family vacation!” 4 of 5 stars

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   The Point, Lucea, Jamaica   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Bridgeville, Delaware
“Wonderful - Fun - Terrific Family vacation!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

We booked this trip to celebrate one of our daughter's graduation. We have four children ranging in age from 11 to 22. They all had a terrific time! My parent's also went along and even though there is a lot of walking they did not mind, or if they did they just called for a pick up and someone was there quickly to take you where you wanted to go.

We had some problems upon check in with rooms and lack of air conditioning, but it was taken care of promptly and they made sure we were satisfied. Rooms are spacious and mini fridge is restocked daily which is very nice. Always keep your spare room key in slot by door this keeps your air running while you are gone or else it gets hot! Housekeeping did wonderful making great designs in your room to look forward to everyday.

Even though it is all inclusive, take a lot of one dollar bills with you, everyone expects a tip! You will quicker bar service also. And as for the bars, purchase an insulated mug before you leave and use it there. It will pay off not to make so many runs to the bar and your drink will stay cold. This is a must!

The entertainment staff at the activity center by the main pool is without a doubt tthe best we have ever had on a vacation! They are hiliarious, friendly, and extremely nice. If you don't have a good time with them it's your loss. We loved them all, Happy Feet, Smurf, 007, Blaze, Avatar, Smiley, Superman, Tweety and Panther!

Food is good, not spectacular, but we never went hungry. Some of the waitstaff is friendly some not. We like Dwayne in the Main Buffet. And Andrea and Lawrence at the main pool bar. The bartenders at the swim up bar were not so nice. We never had any one approach any of us to buy weed so not a problem. Would recommend going to Negril and rent the van for yourself instead of on a tour. Cost was cheap and driver, Michael was a wonderful "tour guide" to have on the way. We went shopping in Negril and then to Rick's Cafe to watch and do the cliff diving, which was fun and amazing.

Great place, for a great price!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (987)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Long Island City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

my friends and i stayed here for 5 days and 4 nights.. the rooms werent that clean and the bed was cold and clammy.. staff( women) were very very unfriendly towards us.... i dont know why?? the resort was beautiful but too much walking and no elevators... linen supply was short everyday(no wash cloths) i wouldnt highly recommend this place to any of my friends... overall i enjoyed my stay in montego bay, maybe at another resort next time.... also the food was great!! dont look for any top shelf liquor..if your into fruity mixed drinks, thats just what you'll receive

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Harrisburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

Wonderful trip at the Palladium! We have been to All Inclusives in Cancun,Riveria Maya,and Bahamas. This was the best. The food was great! Cruise quality! Many pluses to this resort: 1. No reservation needed at theme restaurants.2. You could go to theme restaraunts as many times as you wanted. 3. Pool was awesome!! 4. Showers great! 5. Plenty of seats at the pool...no need to get up early to get a spot. 6. No one tried to sell you a time share!!!!!7. Private beach ( Go to Sunset Cove ) 7. Not far from airport. 8. No need to change money! 9. Beautiful sunsets....go to top deck!
Be sure to tip at least 1.00 a meal...not mandatory but people work so hard. There is some walking involved in resort. No elevators in villas so if you have trouble doing steps ask for first floor. Overall great time. Well worth the money!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
london, ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

My boyfriend and I travelled to the Grand Palladium - Montego Bay from June 5th-12th and it was our firs time to Jamaica.
I was kind of skeptical when reading previous reviews not knowing what to expect so I had an open mind going down.
This resort is absolutely stunning and HUGE. We stayed on the Grand Palladium side Villa 19 which was a far distance to walk but worth it at the same time. This resort is the biggest resort in Jamaica and you'll see it for yourself.

The weather was super HOT so you need to take lots of sunscreen as the sun is definately a lot stronger. It rained about one day for about an hour, but everyone enjoyed the music and just danced away by the pool.
The infinity pool by far is the biggest pool i've ever seen. I travel a lot and this pool was something else.

The beaches were incredible. We checked out the beach at Sunset Cove where lot's was happening. You could snorkel, wind sail and paddle boat. The water was crystal clear and the Jerk Hut was amazing!
The food over all was great. We ate at the buffet once and had dinner at the a la carte restaurants located on the upper level of the resort. By far the best had to be the Xamaican (caribbean food) and the Indian restaurant.
You dont have to make reservations but I recommend you do as we were able to walk right in and others had to wait to be seated. Reservations can be made up by the front desk at the "guest relations" desk.

The rooms were HUGE. One tip that I learned from reading previous reviews is when you leave your room, make sure you leave one room key in the slot near the light switch when you enter your room in order for the air conditioner to stay on. Since they give you two keys always leave one in the room or else when you take out the key, the AC turns off.
Our room was super cold and it was great.
Our maid was Jennifer Rowe and she was great. We left her tips everyday and she did a great job of leaving us extra towels and flowers on our bed.

The weather is super HOT and humid so make sure you stay hydrated.
One more thing I recommend is that when you go, invest in a bubba keg mug as it will be worth it. The drinks come in small plastic cups so you can limit yourself the number of times you go back to get more. This was the best idea ever, almost everyone had one. If not, you can purchase then at the resort gift shop.

The staff was incredible. We became really close to Michael, Omar and Tennant who worked in the morning at the Mo-Bay breakfast buffet aswell as lunch and dinner.

They are the most down to earth and layed back people you will ever meet. Everyone loved us as we interacted well with them all.

The entertainment at night was also great. A ton of dancing which was awesome and a lot of audience involvement which made it so much fun to watch.

Overall this was an absolutely amazing trip and I highly recommend this resort to everyone.

We will definately be back without a doubt :)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

Beautiful hotel and rooms. Make sure you go down to the Sunset Beach and enjoy lunch at the Jerk hut. The jerk chicken is fabulous!

The deep tissue massage at the spa was one of the best.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
DimitrisGM, General Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 15, 2010
Dear Guest(s): Thank you for taking the time to write in. It was a pleasure hosting you and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact us, if there is anything at all we can do from this end. Kind regards,
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

This is the second all inclusive trip my family has taken. We have three small children. We go for all inclusive so we don't have to deal with finding restaurants, dealing with tips, having everything in one location, etc. Despite this resport being all inclusive there is an EXPECTATION from staff to be tipped. My advice for those planning on coming would be to bring lots of small bills so you can tip. If you want good service from the swim up bar -- don't expect it if you don't have money in hand. Our room was cleaned up nicely each day but the number of towels that would be left was always a surprise. One day, the maid took all the bath towels and did not leave any clean ones behind. We had to ask two days in a row for sheets for the pull out bed. I finally just took them from the storage room in our villa and did it myself. Most staff were friendly, especially to the kids. A few acted put out -- but the same can be said for where ever you visit. The snorkeling is GREAT. Just jump in from any of the resort's beaches and you'll feel like you are swimming in an aquarium. My 8 year old spent hours in the water snorkeling. My two biggest disappointments? First, I get up early in the morning and one day went down to the adult beach. The crew was cleaning up (people are incredibly rude and leave behind all their litter). The crew was raking all the plastic cups, straws, plates, etc. into a pile and then pushing the garbage into holes they dug in the sand. Very disappointing to see that. Second, there is a large waste of plastic cups. I wish the resort would tack on 10 bucks to everyone's package and give each client their own mug for the stay to get refilled. While the restaurants use glass, most of the drinking takes place at the outdoor bars and everytime you get a drink, you get another plastic cup with a plastic straw that people leave on the beach, in the pool and on the pathways. Food is fine. Nothing gourmet, but I did not expect it to be. If you have kids, there is always something for them to find to eat -- pizza, french fries, chicken, fresh fruit, fresh veggies, and an ice cream bar. We did two tours: the catamaran trip that stops at Margaritaville in Montego Bay and the zip line adventure in the jungle. Both were fabulous with great staff. I'm glad we went and overall we had a great vacation at the Palladium (the kids would tell you it was THE BEST). I am glad I read some of the reviews before we went.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Mashpee, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

The Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort is a great resort for the price. Let me start with the good things I experienced while I was there from 05/28-06/01:

-The location is beautiful. The hotel grounds are maintained nicely.
-There is a good variety of restaurants. There are some restaurants that are better than others. I had a great meal at the steakhouse and italian restuarants. I didn't get a chance to try all the restaurants, but the ones I did try I thought the food was good. Not five star but still a good meal.
-There are lots of bars spread out around the resort.
-Staff was friendly.
-A good selection of stores/gift shops right on the resort.
-Having a mini bar in the room is a very good idea. The mini bar is re-stocked on a daily basis which is great. You get two Red Stripe beers, two bottles of water, and three bottles of soda
-Bartenders were pouring Appleton Rum which I love!
-Plenty of beach chairs/lounges near the pools and beaches

Some of the stuff I didn't like while I was there:

-I had one of the staff ask me if I wanted to buy weed from them as I was walking out of my hotel room. If you like that type of thing, you might not think this is bad. This employee conviently wasn't wearing his name tag as he is going around asking people to buy drugs from him.
-My room smelled like mold (room 2502). I reported this to the front desk. I was told that someone would come and spray some air freshner in the room. I sought out someone from house keeping who gave me a bottle of some type of air freshner. I used that bottle of air freshner every day. By the end of the trip I didn't notice the smell as bad, but it bothered me the first few days as I was constantly sneezing. I didn't spend that much time in the room so it wasn't that big of an issue.
-The seating by the hostess is complete chaos at the buffets. The hostess will tell you to wait on the side. Then there is no rhyme or reason who gets seated next. One morning we were seated at our table and when we returned from the buffet some one else had been put at our table.
-Some of the waits at restaurants were up to 45 minutes for a table. As you are waiting to be seated, look in the restaurant. Half the tables are empty! I found this to be true at almost every restaurant. Even the buffet (never a long wait though) had empty tables while we were standing and waiting.
-I had two of the life guards at the beach ask me to get them beers at the bar. This only happened once though.
-Fitness room could use some more equipment and weights.

Now the most important stuff, ADVICE:

-The drinks are in small cups, so bring an insulated cup for drink refills to save yourself a few trips to the bar. A ton of people had Bubba Kegs which are sold at WalMart I was told. TRUST ME, you will be glad you brought one. I learned the hard way. The bartenders will fill any size cup you bring them.
-Sunset Cove Beach was beautiful. Try to get there atleast once while you're there.
-Eat at the ala carte restaurants for dinner. Save the buffets for lunch.
-Don't listen to the people that complain about walking too much, its really not that bad. They have a golf cart that will drive you to where you need to go if you want. I used it once when I went to the opposite side of the resort. I walked back once I realized it really wasn't that far away.
-I didn't have a problem with the towels. I don't know why people are complaining about them. You are given one beach towel per person each day which you get near the pools or beach. I was fine with that. They never ran out while I was there.
-Explore around the resort. They have a lot to offer.

Overall a great experience! I would consider returning to the resort. Only next time with the biggest Bubba Keg they make!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!