“Fabulous Vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Harrisburg
“Fabulous Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

Wonderful trip at the Palladium! We have been to All Inclusives in Cancun,Riveria Maya,and Bahamas. This was the best. The food was great! Cruise quality! Many pluses to this resort: 1. No reservation needed at theme restaurants.2. You could go to theme restaraunts as many times as you wanted. 3. Pool was awesome!! 4. Showers great! 5. Plenty of seats at the pool...no need to get up early to get a spot. 6. No one tried to sell you a time share!!!!!7. Private beach ( Go to Sunset Cove ) 7. Not far from airport. 8. No need to change money! 9. Beautiful sunsets....go to top deck!
Be sure to tip at least 1.00 a meal...not mandatory but people work so hard. There is some walking involved in resort. No elevators in villas so if you have trouble doing steps ask for first floor. Overall great time. Well worth the money!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,097)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
london, ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

My boyfriend and I travelled to the Grand Palladium - Montego Bay from June 5th-12th and it was our firs time to Jamaica.
I was kind of skeptical when reading previous reviews not knowing what to expect so I had an open mind going down.
This resort is absolutely stunning and HUGE. We stayed on the Grand Palladium side Villa 19 which was a far distance to walk but worth it at the same time. This resort is the biggest resort in Jamaica and you'll see it for yourself.

The weather was super HOT so you need to take lots of sunscreen as the sun is definately a lot stronger. It rained about one day for about an hour, but everyone enjoyed the music and just danced away by the pool.
The infinity pool by far is the biggest pool i've ever seen. I travel a lot and this pool was something else.

The beaches were incredible. We checked out the beach at Sunset Cove where lot's was happening. You could snorkel, wind sail and paddle boat. The water was crystal clear and the Jerk Hut was amazing!
The food over all was great. We ate at the buffet once and had dinner at the a la carte restaurants located on the upper level of the resort. By far the best had to be the Xamaican (caribbean food) and the Indian restaurant.
You dont have to make reservations but I recommend you do as we were able to walk right in and others had to wait to be seated. Reservations can be made up by the front desk at the "guest relations" desk.

The rooms were HUGE. One tip that I learned from reading previous reviews is when you leave your room, make sure you leave one room key in the slot near the light switch when you enter your room in order for the air conditioner to stay on. Since they give you two keys always leave one in the room or else when you take out the key, the AC turns off.
Our room was super cold and it was great.
Our maid was Jennifer Rowe and she was great. We left her tips everyday and she did a great job of leaving us extra towels and flowers on our bed.

The weather is super HOT and humid so make sure you stay hydrated.
One more thing I recommend is that when you go, invest in a bubba keg mug as it will be worth it. The drinks come in small plastic cups so you can limit yourself the number of times you go back to get more. This was the best idea ever, almost everyone had one. If not, you can purchase then at the resort gift shop.

The staff was incredible. We became really close to Michael, Omar and Tennant who worked in the morning at the Mo-Bay breakfast buffet aswell as lunch and dinner.

They are the most down to earth and layed back people you will ever meet. Everyone loved us as we interacted well with them all.

The entertainment at night was also great. A ton of dancing which was awesome and a lot of audience involvement which made it so much fun to watch.

Overall this was an absolutely amazing trip and I highly recommend this resort to everyone.

We will definately be back without a doubt :)

NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

Beautiful hotel and rooms. Make sure you go down to the Sunset Beach and enjoy lunch at the Jerk hut. The jerk chicken is fabulous!

The deep tissue massage at the spa was one of the best.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
DimitrisGM, General Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 15, 2010
Dear Guest(s): Thank you for taking the time to write in. It was a pleasure hosting you and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact us, if there is anything at all we can do from this end. Kind regards,
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

This is the second all inclusive trip my family has taken. We have three small children. We go for all inclusive so we don't have to deal with finding restaurants, dealing with tips, having everything in one location, etc. Despite this resport being all inclusive there is an EXPECTATION from staff to be tipped. My advice for those planning on coming would be to bring lots of small bills so you can tip. If you want good service from the swim up bar -- don't expect it if you don't have money in hand. Our room was cleaned up nicely each day but the number of towels that would be left was always a surprise. One day, the maid took all the bath towels and did not leave any clean ones behind. We had to ask two days in a row for sheets for the pull out bed. I finally just took them from the storage room in our villa and did it myself. Most staff were friendly, especially to the kids. A few acted put out -- but the same can be said for where ever you visit. The snorkeling is GREAT. Just jump in from any of the resort's beaches and you'll feel like you are swimming in an aquarium. My 8 year old spent hours in the water snorkeling. My two biggest disappointments? First, I get up early in the morning and one day went down to the adult beach. The crew was cleaning up (people are incredibly rude and leave behind all their litter). The crew was raking all the plastic cups, straws, plates, etc. into a pile and then pushing the garbage into holes they dug in the sand. Very disappointing to see that. Second, there is a large waste of plastic cups. I wish the resort would tack on 10 bucks to everyone's package and give each client their own mug for the stay to get refilled. While the restaurants use glass, most of the drinking takes place at the outdoor bars and everytime you get a drink, you get another plastic cup with a plastic straw that people leave on the beach, in the pool and on the pathways. Food is fine. Nothing gourmet, but I did not expect it to be. If you have kids, there is always something for them to find to eat -- pizza, french fries, chicken, fresh fruit, fresh veggies, and an ice cream bar. We did two tours: the catamaran trip that stops at Margaritaville in Montego Bay and the zip line adventure in the jungle. Both were fabulous with great staff. I'm glad we went and overall we had a great vacation at the Palladium (the kids would tell you it was THE BEST). I am glad I read some of the reviews before we went.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Mashpee, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

The Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort is a great resort for the price. Let me start with the good things I experienced while I was there from 05/28-06/01:

-The location is beautiful. The hotel grounds are maintained nicely.
-There is a good variety of restaurants. There are some restaurants that are better than others. I had a great meal at the steakhouse and italian restuarants. I didn't get a chance to try all the restaurants, but the ones I did try I thought the food was good. Not five star but still a good meal.
-There are lots of bars spread out around the resort.
-Staff was friendly.
-A good selection of stores/gift shops right on the resort.
-Having a mini bar in the room is a very good idea. The mini bar is re-stocked on a daily basis which is great. You get two Red Stripe beers, two bottles of water, and three bottles of soda
-Bartenders were pouring Appleton Rum which I love!
-Plenty of beach chairs/lounges near the pools and beaches

Some of the stuff I didn't like while I was there:

-I had one of the staff ask me if I wanted to buy weed from them as I was walking out of my hotel room. If you like that type of thing, you might not think this is bad. This employee conviently wasn't wearing his name tag as he is going around asking people to buy drugs from him.
-My room smelled like mold (room 2502). I reported this to the front desk. I was told that someone would come and spray some air freshner in the room. I sought out someone from house keeping who gave me a bottle of some type of air freshner. I used that bottle of air freshner every day. By the end of the trip I didn't notice the smell as bad, but it bothered me the first few days as I was constantly sneezing. I didn't spend that much time in the room so it wasn't that big of an issue.
-The seating by the hostess is complete chaos at the buffets. The hostess will tell you to wait on the side. Then there is no rhyme or reason who gets seated next. One morning we were seated at our table and when we returned from the buffet some one else had been put at our table.
-Some of the waits at restaurants were up to 45 minutes for a table. As you are waiting to be seated, look in the restaurant. Half the tables are empty! I found this to be true at almost every restaurant. Even the buffet (never a long wait though) had empty tables while we were standing and waiting.
-I had two of the life guards at the beach ask me to get them beers at the bar. This only happened once though.
-Fitness room could use some more equipment and weights.

Now the most important stuff, ADVICE:

-The drinks are in small cups, so bring an insulated cup for drink refills to save yourself a few trips to the bar. A ton of people had Bubba Kegs which are sold at WalMart I was told. TRUST ME, you will be glad you brought one. I learned the hard way. The bartenders will fill any size cup you bring them.
-Sunset Cove Beach was beautiful. Try to get there atleast once while you're there.
-Eat at the ala carte restaurants for dinner. Save the buffets for lunch.
-Don't listen to the people that complain about walking too much, its really not that bad. They have a golf cart that will drive you to where you need to go if you want. I used it once when I went to the opposite side of the resort. I walked back once I realized it really wasn't that far away.
-I didn't have a problem with the towels. I don't know why people are complaining about them. You are given one beach towel per person each day which you get near the pools or beach. I was fine with that. They never ran out while I was there.
-Explore around the resort. They have a lot to offer.

Overall a great experience! I would consider returning to the resort. Only next time with the biggest Bubba Keg they make!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

My Partner and I travelled to Jamaica for a little get away. It was his first trip and one of my many to the island. We wanted to stay at a hotel that was quiet and relaxed for both of us. I must say that I read several reviews before our tip, some helpful and some just plain nitpicking. The Grand Palladium is in a location away from some of the other big name chains and that was a wonderful thing.
My partner and I loved the ambiance of the hotel. We arrived at the hotel early and waited a little over an hour for our room even though check in was 3pm. We received rum punch (my partner's favorite) upon arrival and was offered a room to change and relax while we waited for our room. We roamed the grounds and got something to eat at one of the buffets. We loved the fact that our room was ready two hours prior. The staff was great welcoming us to the hotel and throughout the entire visit. Everyone always had a smile on their face and was always helpful. On three seperate occasions guest relations approached us to see how our stay was going and if we needed anything. The grounds in the hotel was immaculate and everywhere was always clean. The rooms were huge and very comfortable. We had two balconies in our room along with a wonderful view of the pool as we stayed in villa 24. The walk to everything was quite near. I even had a chance to do my morning running on the grounds and loved it. The room was well equipped with everything needed. The bar was stacked, robes and other supplies were provided. I must say I am a person who usually walk with everything including towels, toiletries, medical supplies, sewing kit, etc on my trips regardless of where I go (US/Non-US). Anything, we needed we received at GP. So, for those who do nothing but complain and are rude "stay home." You have to remember you are in someone's else country and nothing is perfect no matter where you go.
As for food, we tried several locations each evening and loved them. The pools were great and the swim up bar was wonderful. We did not get a chance to utilize the beach or water sports together as we had other sites to see. However, I did take a quick dip to have the salt water wash off the negative vibes (islanders would understand). If you get a chance to visit Jamaica, visit Dunns River Falls as leaving Jamaica is a no no without climbing the falls. As for the ladies "The Jungle Nightclub in Negril" Thursday is ladies night so go out and have a good time. Be prepared to come out sweating. Kevin was our driver, he dropped off and waited for us to come out of the club. We liked it so much we went two nights.
All in all even though the trip was short we had a wonderful time and would definitely return to GP. We got a chance to stay in a quiet and romantic place. We even made some additional friends who we exchanged numbers with and plan on getting together with in the near future. We highly recommend GP.

North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the GPJ from 5/30-6/5. Upon arrival we arrived to a beautiful open aired lobby. We sent a request for an oceanview a week prior to arrival and they did accomodate our request upon arrival. With that being said, I did find the front desk helpful. However, this resort did not impress me in other areas. I initially thought that many of the reviews on here were that of extremely picky travelers, but that was not the case. Despite everything I still had a nice vacation. I don't sweat the small things, but I do want to be completely honest and break down the different areas.

Rooms: The room had plenty of towels the first couple of days of being there, however mid-week it seemed as if they ran out of wash cloths and bath mats. I just wanted to add that I did tip the maid, and still I didn't receive everything everyday. We must have been given an older room, the shower leaked and didn't drain well, the sink was the same. However, we were placed in great location with an oceanview so I decided to not ask for different room. The rooms are beautiful, but not cleaned well.

Food: I want to start by saying I've stayed at several all inclusive resorts and have taken many cruises. The food here is mediocre at best. If you go in expecting mediocre food you won't be disappointed. I thought the buffets were better than the a la carts. The one a la cart that was okay was the Creole one. However, the best food I had there was the jerk hut for lunch. It's next to Sunset Cove.

Service: I felt the service was a hit or miss. 50% percent of the time the staff was nice and friendly. I'm a friendly person so I just expected it back. Yes, I did tip.

Pools/Beaches: Definitely find Sunset Cove, I really enjoyed this beach. This was definitely my favorite part. My husband and I took the Hobie Cat out everyday we were there, except when we went into town. This beach is the nicest one of all. The other beaches are too rocky. We didn't really hang out the pools much.

I definitely suggest going into Negril. Negril is absolutely beautiful, a sight you must see. I will not choose this resort again. However, we did have a nice vacation. It's what you make of it. if you're looking for a less expensive option then this is the place for you. Just don't expect 5 star luxuries, This resort is a 3 star at best. The best thing about this resort is its beauty.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!