“This was a mixed bag but still a great vacation” 3 of 5 stars

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   The Point, Lucea, Jamaica   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Denver, Colorado
“This was a mixed bag but still a great vacation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

This is the second all inclusive trip my family has taken. We have three small children. We go for all inclusive so we don't have to deal with finding restaurants, dealing with tips, having everything in one location, etc. Despite this resport being all inclusive there is an EXPECTATION from staff to be tipped. My advice for those planning on coming would be to bring lots of small bills so you can tip. If you want good service from the swim up bar -- don't expect it if you don't have money in hand. Our room was cleaned up nicely each day but the number of towels that would be left was always a surprise. One day, the maid took all the bath towels and did not leave any clean ones behind. We had to ask two days in a row for sheets for the pull out bed. I finally just took them from the storage room in our villa and did it myself. Most staff were friendly, especially to the kids. A few acted put out -- but the same can be said for where ever you visit. The snorkeling is GREAT. Just jump in from any of the resort's beaches and you'll feel like you are swimming in an aquarium. My 8 year old spent hours in the water snorkeling. My two biggest disappointments? First, I get up early in the morning and one day went down to the adult beach. The crew was cleaning up (people are incredibly rude and leave behind all their litter). The crew was raking all the plastic cups, straws, plates, etc. into a pile and then pushing the garbage into holes they dug in the sand. Very disappointing to see that. Second, there is a large waste of plastic cups. I wish the resort would tack on 10 bucks to everyone's package and give each client their own mug for the stay to get refilled. While the restaurants use glass, most of the drinking takes place at the outdoor bars and everytime you get a drink, you get another plastic cup with a plastic straw that people leave on the beach, in the pool and on the pathways. Food is fine. Nothing gourmet, but I did not expect it to be. If you have kids, there is always something for them to find to eat -- pizza, french fries, chicken, fresh fruit, fresh veggies, and an ice cream bar. We did two tours: the catamaran trip that stops at Margaritaville in Montego Bay and the zip line adventure in the jungle. Both were fabulous with great staff. I'm glad we went and overall we had a great vacation at the Palladium (the kids would tell you it was THE BEST). I am glad I read some of the reviews before we went.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,053)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Mashpee, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

The Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort is a great resort for the price. Let me start with the good things I experienced while I was there from 05/28-06/01:

-The location is beautiful. The hotel grounds are maintained nicely.
-There is a good variety of restaurants. There are some restaurants that are better than others. I had a great meal at the steakhouse and italian restuarants. I didn't get a chance to try all the restaurants, but the ones I did try I thought the food was good. Not five star but still a good meal.
-There are lots of bars spread out around the resort.
-Staff was friendly.
-A good selection of stores/gift shops right on the resort.
-Having a mini bar in the room is a very good idea. The mini bar is re-stocked on a daily basis which is great. You get two Red Stripe beers, two bottles of water, and three bottles of soda
-Bartenders were pouring Appleton Rum which I love!
-Plenty of beach chairs/lounges near the pools and beaches

Some of the stuff I didn't like while I was there:

-I had one of the staff ask me if I wanted to buy weed from them as I was walking out of my hotel room. If you like that type of thing, you might not think this is bad. This employee conviently wasn't wearing his name tag as he is going around asking people to buy drugs from him.
-My room smelled like mold (room 2502). I reported this to the front desk. I was told that someone would come and spray some air freshner in the room. I sought out someone from house keeping who gave me a bottle of some type of air freshner. I used that bottle of air freshner every day. By the end of the trip I didn't notice the smell as bad, but it bothered me the first few days as I was constantly sneezing. I didn't spend that much time in the room so it wasn't that big of an issue.
-The seating by the hostess is complete chaos at the buffets. The hostess will tell you to wait on the side. Then there is no rhyme or reason who gets seated next. One morning we were seated at our table and when we returned from the buffet some one else had been put at our table.
-Some of the waits at restaurants were up to 45 minutes for a table. As you are waiting to be seated, look in the restaurant. Half the tables are empty! I found this to be true at almost every restaurant. Even the buffet (never a long wait though) had empty tables while we were standing and waiting.
-I had two of the life guards at the beach ask me to get them beers at the bar. This only happened once though.
-Fitness room could use some more equipment and weights.

Now the most important stuff, ADVICE:

-The drinks are in small cups, so bring an insulated cup for drink refills to save yourself a few trips to the bar. A ton of people had Bubba Kegs which are sold at WalMart I was told. TRUST ME, you will be glad you brought one. I learned the hard way. The bartenders will fill any size cup you bring them.
-Sunset Cove Beach was beautiful. Try to get there atleast once while you're there.
-Eat at the ala carte restaurants for dinner. Save the buffets for lunch.
-Don't listen to the people that complain about walking too much, its really not that bad. They have a golf cart that will drive you to where you need to go if you want. I used it once when I went to the opposite side of the resort. I walked back once I realized it really wasn't that far away.
-I didn't have a problem with the towels. I don't know why people are complaining about them. You are given one beach towel per person each day which you get near the pools or beach. I was fine with that. They never ran out while I was there.
-Explore around the resort. They have a lot to offer.

Overall a great experience! I would consider returning to the resort. Only next time with the biggest Bubba Keg they make!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

My Partner and I travelled to Jamaica for a little get away. It was his first trip and one of my many to the island. We wanted to stay at a hotel that was quiet and relaxed for both of us. I must say that I read several reviews before our tip, some helpful and some just plain nitpicking. The Grand Palladium is in a location away from some of the other big name chains and that was a wonderful thing.
My partner and I loved the ambiance of the hotel. We arrived at the hotel early and waited a little over an hour for our room even though check in was 3pm. We received rum punch (my partner's favorite) upon arrival and was offered a room to change and relax while we waited for our room. We roamed the grounds and got something to eat at one of the buffets. We loved the fact that our room was ready two hours prior. The staff was great welcoming us to the hotel and throughout the entire visit. Everyone always had a smile on their face and was always helpful. On three seperate occasions guest relations approached us to see how our stay was going and if we needed anything. The grounds in the hotel was immaculate and everywhere was always clean. The rooms were huge and very comfortable. We had two balconies in our room along with a wonderful view of the pool as we stayed in villa 24. The walk to everything was quite near. I even had a chance to do my morning running on the grounds and loved it. The room was well equipped with everything needed. The bar was stacked, robes and other supplies were provided. I must say I am a person who usually walk with everything including towels, toiletries, medical supplies, sewing kit, etc on my trips regardless of where I go (US/Non-US). Anything, we needed we received at GP. So, for those who do nothing but complain and are rude "stay home." You have to remember you are in someone's else country and nothing is perfect no matter where you go.
As for food, we tried several locations each evening and loved them. The pools were great and the swim up bar was wonderful. We did not get a chance to utilize the beach or water sports together as we had other sites to see. However, I did take a quick dip to have the salt water wash off the negative vibes (islanders would understand). If you get a chance to visit Jamaica, visit Dunns River Falls as leaving Jamaica is a no no without climbing the falls. As for the ladies "The Jungle Nightclub in Negril" Thursday is ladies night so go out and have a good time. Be prepared to come out sweating. Kevin was our driver, he dropped off and waited for us to come out of the club. We liked it so much we went two nights.
All in all even though the trip was short we had a wonderful time and would definitely return to GP. We got a chance to stay in a quiet and romantic place. We even made some additional friends who we exchanged numbers with and plan on getting together with in the near future. We highly recommend GP.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the GPJ from 5/30-6/5. Upon arrival we arrived to a beautiful open aired lobby. We sent a request for an oceanview a week prior to arrival and they did accomodate our request upon arrival. With that being said, I did find the front desk helpful. However, this resort did not impress me in other areas. I initially thought that many of the reviews on here were that of extremely picky travelers, but that was not the case. Despite everything I still had a nice vacation. I don't sweat the small things, but I do want to be completely honest and break down the different areas.

Rooms: The room had plenty of towels the first couple of days of being there, however mid-week it seemed as if they ran out of wash cloths and bath mats. I just wanted to add that I did tip the maid, and still I didn't receive everything everyday. We must have been given an older room, the shower leaked and didn't drain well, the sink was the same. However, we were placed in great location with an oceanview so I decided to not ask for different room. The rooms are beautiful, but not cleaned well.

Food: I want to start by saying I've stayed at several all inclusive resorts and have taken many cruises. The food here is mediocre at best. If you go in expecting mediocre food you won't be disappointed. I thought the buffets were better than the a la carts. The one a la cart that was okay was the Creole one. However, the best food I had there was the jerk hut for lunch. It's next to Sunset Cove.

Service: I felt the service was a hit or miss. 50% percent of the time the staff was nice and friendly. I'm a friendly person so I just expected it back. Yes, I did tip.

Pools/Beaches: Definitely find Sunset Cove, I really enjoyed this beach. This was definitely my favorite part. My husband and I took the Hobie Cat out everyday we were there, except when we went into town. This beach is the nicest one of all. The other beaches are too rocky. We didn't really hang out the pools much.

I definitely suggest going into Negril. Negril is absolutely beautiful, a sight you must see. I will not choose this resort again. However, we did have a nice vacation. It's what you make of it. if you're looking for a less expensive option then this is the place for you. Just don't expect 5 star luxuries, This resort is a 3 star at best. The best thing about this resort is its beauty.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

I would like to start by saying I had an amazing time at Grand Palladium, however I am one of those people who can have a good time just about anywhere. The Grand Palladium is a beautiful resort, but there is work to be done.

Let's start at check-in: It's a nightmare. There are seemingly 3 lines, no particular order and if there is no breeze, it is a long, hot wait. If you have it, bring your "stash" of patience, you will need it. Then there is the matter of your room being ready...

Food: There are several restaurants on the property. None of them are great, some are just awful. Breakfast will probably be your best bet of the day, so enjoy it. Most of the food is buffet, and not hot. Lukewarm is about average for temperature and there is very little in the way of authentic Jamaican food. (Little things like a shortage of Mango at the fruit display bafflles the mind) I recommend the Sports Bar for lunch, tucked away in the lower level of the lobby on the Lady Hamilton side. Good for snacks, burgers and fries...don't have your heart set on a beef or chicken pattie. They never have enough (again baffling). Little known secret: On the Lady Hamilton side of the resort, just beyond the seafood restaurant, there is a gem called the Jerk Hut. It is only open from 1pm - 3pm. Get there as soon as they open up, you will not be sorry. Bubba's is your best bet for dinner but be prepared to wait if you get there after 7pm. Long pants and closed toe shoes are required for men.

Pool side service: does not exist, so do not expect it. There are bars at every pool. At the main pool (absolutely beautiful) is a swim-up pool bar as well as a bar near the volleyball courts.

Also, there are plenty of bees by the pools, I was told do not swat and you wont get stung. It worked for me. The bees are present because the sweet drinks are nearby.

Now for the positives: My room was ALWAYS CLEAN no matter what time I came back to it. Many thanks to Beryl who was my houskeeper! The rest of the staff was fantastic as well, from my caddies: Dimitri, Donald and Dain, bartenders: Keith, Clive and Gavin (Infinity Bar) and Miss Mercilyn in the Sports Bar, to activities: Roxanne from Tropical Tours. All made my visit wonderful.

A little advice: All: Pack a bit of patience, if you can let certain things roll off, you will have a better time. Gentlemen: bring a pair of dress pants, closed toe shoes and possibly a jacket as there are a few of the dinner restaurants that require at least one of the 3. Ladies: The spa is not a part of the hotel, so before you go, bring your method of payment with you as you cannot charge it to the room. A woman had to go all the way back to her room to get her credit card 5 mins before her services. Because the property is large, that could be a hike. Parents: The drinking age is 18 in Jamaica. Know this before you let your precious ones run off with a bunch of friends and their passports. Take in an activity: from shopping in Negril to Zip-Line in the mountains, it's worth it to spend a little bit and enjoy!

As I mentioned, I had a ball. The hotel is beautiful, and many seemed to be having a great time, however I do not think that the negatives are indicative of a typical stay at other resorts. While it was my first time there, those that I travelled with have been several times and have enjoyed the food and had fewer issues with check in and service while staying elsewhere. I will return to Jamaica just as soon as I can, however it may not be to the Grand Palladium.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Newcastle UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

We stayed at the Grand Palladium at the end of May and had a great time.

Check in was no problem, but check out was another matter.
TIP - get there early to check out as there is no organisation and people checking in at the check out desk.
Once you check in you are asked to see an "advisor". Our "advisor" wanted us to go and see the new buildings and give us a "gift" for our trouble, Advice - Unless you want time share do not go to see the "advisor". We went to the meeting and were subject to some pretty hard sell time share. !!!!! Hotel management take note!!!!

Rooms
We stayed in building 12 which is not far from one of the adult pools, and just a short stroll from main reception.
We were given a double room instead of a king size and it was changed the following day .
Rooms are large and clean.
Bathroom again is large with a good size shower and double jacuzzi bath.
Rooms are tidied everyday and we had no complaints.
Mini bar was refilled everyday with Redstrip and Coke, orange and Sprite.
Flat panel TV had a good choice of channels, although the picture quality was poor on some channels.

Sleep quality is another matter. The noise from the animals outside the room was unbearable (not a fault of the hotel, just a heads up).
TIP - take some ear plugs if you are a light sleeper.
And to guests who think it is acceptable to come back to their rooms at 3am and slam all doors then start partying, thanks!
The hotel itself is large to say the least, cannot see how anyone on here can complain at the size as several reviews highlight this? This is ideal and this gives you the option for a nice walk after your evening meal.

All the main areas are kept very clean.
We did "explore" the far areas of the hotel and some "corners" had been missed. This includes some of the areas the the hotel claims are beaches!
The food is great in both the buffet and A la cartes.
Yes it can a little on the cold side at times, but we had no issues with stomach problems.
TIP on the A la Cartes - Upstairs you are required to wear long pants, down stairs you do not.
The hotel has two main beaches. The sunset beach is the furtest away and has all of the watersports. It is also where you will find the famous Jerk chicken hut, this can get busy. Just above the beach you will find the Poisiden bar which turns in to the fish A la Carte on an evening.
TIP on the beaches - The sea areas are mainly covered in stoney areas and the Sunset beach has the best areas for access to the sea.
The sand also is not what I expected. I think it could be man made and is quite course, not the powder white sand I expected of the Caribbean.

The pools are great. You can find a one to suit your mood or requirements.
All pools have bars to supply your drinks. The only problem we had was with the swim up in the main pool. The bar lads were the most unfriendly we had seen at the hotel (maybe something to do with the fact no one carries tips in their swim wear).
TIP - this is were you Bubba keg comes in handy and buy one before you go. On the other hand if no one had them it would be easier to get served!

Tipping
We found that tipping is the order of the day, but when you find out the hourly rate of the staff you see why and a couple of dollars here and there goes a long way.

I would have no problem returning again to this hotel and if you do decide to go I am sure you will have a great time. Just remember you are in another country and service maybe not what you are used to, relax you are on holiday.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
modesto califorina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

This place was great ,nice hotel food at the buffet was just ok ,entertaiment staff by the pools were awesome ,(hello happy feet ),kid cove for the kids was awesome,nice rooms nice pools and red stripe beer was always in our room ,try the bob marley shot its good, Dimitri your running a good hotel only bad i saw was you had to be a pretty young good looking girl to get your drink fast from the bar ,other wise dont listen to all the bad reviews they had me worried to but it all went great ,will be back next year

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!