“LOVED the Palladium Hamilton” 5 of 5 stars

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   The Point, Lucea, Jamaica   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
St.Catharines
“LOVED the Palladium Hamilton”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2010

Absolutely gorgeous! Did Ricks cafe $14 U.S & Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios $49 U.S. about 2 hours from the resort. Bring U.S. Dollars.
We had NO problems with towels. Had an absolute great time. Staff gives great fast service, and is very friendly. The one thing I can say about this resort is the entertainment staff is always involved. There is always something to do by the pool, aerobics, volleyball, ragge dance lessons, bingo, patois lessons, etc. etc.
Food was great, nothing to complain about, there was always something to eat. And the drinks, let's just say they don't go light on the alcohol. LOL! Had lots of cappucinos unstairs at the bar. Very Friendly staff and Loved Happy Feet & 007
I don't understand the snobby people that complain. Go with an open mind and just have fun! Oh we didn't get a towel. We had 3 towels in our room that were changed daily. So god forbid you're missing a towel, that's what ruins your trip? Common people, get real!! AWESOME AWESOME RESORT & PEOPLE!

• Liked — the resort & entertainment staff
  • Disliked — a little far from ocho rios, about 30 min from MB
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,167)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

I simply liked it! PRO: Large, well furnished room, full bathrooms with the bathtub and separate shower stall, daily services, food, entertainment. Everything was perfect! CONS: internet was only in the main lobby and was very slow. A bit too far from Montego Bay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Ottawa, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

Just back from a one week vacation at the Grand Palladium. This resort is huge and very beautiful. We had 2 overcast days so the spa saved those days. They have a steam room, sauna, cold pools and supposedly a hot whilpool but it was more like luke warm. The rooms are very nice and each have jacuzzi baths. The problem with the shower in our room was that the drainage was no good so we'd end up standing in a pool of water which is kinda gross. Yes they are stingy with their towels but as soon as we asked for more, they'd gladly bring them with a smile. The buffet was good enough and the restaurants were pretty good. The Mexican, Streak and Indian were excellent. Wait staff in the restaurants were sooo nice. Staff do kinda expect tips so it's a good idea to bring US dollar bills. The beaches are man made so do not expect a long stretch of white sand. The sunset cove beach is the nicest and there's a decent jerk chicken hut there where you'll also find the paddle boats and kayaks which are included with the all inclusive. You do not need a deposit for them. They will just ask you to sign a waver. Best drink for me was the dirty banana. The infinity pool is beautiful and the swim up bar is loads of fun..especially when JJ bartends! Water aerobics also fun and offered at the infinity pool along with volleyball and other activities. The nighttime shows are ok but not spectacular. There is a mini casino which can be fun to stop in and a snack bar which serves food I believe 24hrs. The shawarma's are good..the burgers are a little pinkish and I didn't like em. The sports bar has pool tables, ping pong and ice hockey. Can get pretty smoky in there though. The fitness facility is ok for a short workout. We really enjoyed our stay at the Grand Palladium. Nevermind the all negative reviews and make the most of your vacation!

boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

All of those negative reviews about this resort are ABSOLUTELY false! I went expecting at least one of the nay sayers to be right.This place by far was one of the best places that i have ever stayed..The food at the restaurants wasn't five star,but you could definitely enjoy it during ur stay..We had the pleasure of meeting a cab driver who didn't work for the hotels and took a chance on using him.His name was Omar Burchell.He was one of the nicest and most professional cabbies that i've ever met!! He drove us around 3 of our 5 days there and his prices are reasonable.Please if you want a trustworthy professional you can call him ahead of time or just ask for him @ the airport.His number is [--] or e-mail him @[--] you won't regret it. Ok back to the resort..It is a place that a couple, family or group would love..Some of the reviews just don't do it justice.If you don't want the hustle and bustle of the Hip Strip stay here! If you want party central right outside your door step, the hipstrip is for you.If you want to be treated like royalty and relax, but can take a little drive to the Hip Strip stay here!! The Spa is amazing as well!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Edmonton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Grand Palladium Jamaica from Jan 8 to Jan 15, 2010.
I did not notice a difference between the Jamaica and the Lady Hamilton. The only thing I could think of was it seemed that the Lady Hamilton villas were closer to the beaches and resort attractions. For the extra cost, I really don’t think it would have been worth it to book the Lady Hamilton. Whether you choose the Jamaica or the Lady Hamilton, you have access to everything.
Flying into Montego Bay, it’s pretty neat. You think the plane is just going to land in the water! And as you’re descending, you can see the Grand Palladium resort. It’s quite something from the air.
We found our rep at the airport no problem, and took a coach bus to the resort. There’s a bar just outside the airport, right where the buses are waiting. Grab a beer for your ride! Going through Montego Bay at rush hour was a pretty cool experience. There are people walking in between car lanes selling bananas, shrimp, bread. It probably took about 40 min to get from the airport to the Grand Palladium.
Upon arrival at the resort, we were in awe. The lobby is massive, brand new, marble everywhere, just beautiful. Definitely the nicest looking resort I have ever been to. While we waited to check-in, we were handed a welcome drink (delicious rum punch). Check-in was quite smooth, not a long wait at all - maybe 10 min. We did, however, have to wait for our room to be ready. That took about 20 minutes. We didn’t care at all. We just walked around and explored the massive resort.
Our first night consisted of enjoying the Jamaicain BBQ on the beach, complete with fire dancers and Jamaicain dancing! It was dark so we just wandered around aimlessly, trying to get our bearings.
Our room was fantastic. We couldn’t believe how beautiful it was when we first entered. The AC worked, as well as the fan. You need to keep your room card in a slot in the wall to have power. I suspect that has something to do with energy saving. There was a coffee pot and an ice bucket. The ice machine was located in the “lobby” area of our villa. Each villa has maybe 30 or so rooms. They all have a spectacular open area lobby with a pond and little water feature. We were in 2209. Main floor. At night, a little bird loved to hang out there and squeak away! It was quite disruptive the first couple nights, but we got used to it. The room had a large soaker tub with jets. A large separate shower. The shower had a detachable head. Make sure to use it like that, if you keep it in the holder and use it like a normal shower, you will flood your bathroom! I finally figured that out after a couple days. It doesn’t appear that they have bathmats, so ask your maid for an extra towel to use as a bathmat.
The week before we left, I had closely been watching the weather forecasts on a few different websites. It was quite disappointing to see that rain and clouds were forecasted. Everyone had told me not to worry, that the rain would probably only be for an hour. Well, to my disappointment, the rain and clouds and wind lasted for basically our entire first 3 days. The forecasts were actually quite right, unfortunately. That was quite disheartening. We were glad to be at the Grand Palladium though, because at least there was the sports bar to entertain us (NFL Sunday). We also took the shopping excursion into Negril on a chilly day. The weather finally shaped up for the last half of our trip and we enjoyed hot and sunny days, just a little windy.
We signed up for the Negril shopping tour. Cost $14 US per person. It left our hotel at about noon I think. Took a good hour to get into Negril. Our driver got pulled over because he was apparently speeding. He paid the fine right there and we were on our way. We found the drive to be long, but cool to see how the Jamaicans live. You’ll see goats and chickens and dogs all over the place. Law offices look the same as the snack shacks. Everything is quite run down. People are always standing or walking on the side of the road (highway basically), waiting for taxis or walking somewhere. We arrived in Negril at the market. That wasn’t very enjoyable for us. We don’t really enjoy being attacked by everyone trying to sell us their things. If you like to find bargains and haggle and enjoy the market experience, you’ll like it. We also found that every little shack in the market was offering basically the exact same things. Thankfully we were only there for about 20 min. Then we headed to Times Square shops. This was more like a mall back home, no one harassed you. We found lots of souvenirs here, at quite decent prices. You can buy souvenirs, shirts, jewelry, liquor, cigars, etc. After about an hour here, we headed to Rick’s Café. This bar is really cool! It’s laid out on right on the ocean with steps down to enjoy the sunsets and ocean view. There is also a pool in the bar, quite neat! So if it’s a nice day, bring your bathing suits. Rick’s is famous for its cliff diving. If the waters are calm enough, you can cliff dive from the lowest point. They only let 3 people jump while we were there, then they closed it off and said the water was too rough. The whole time though, there was a local, I think they call him bird man, who dove from the tallest tree. Insane! He seemed to dive about once or twice an hour. He’ll come around collecting tips. We didn’t mind and threw him a couple US dollars. But he approached us probably 5 or 6 times in like an hour, kind of annoying. We spent about 2 hours maybe, at Rick’s Café. Then headed back to the resort.
We also did the Black River / YS Falls / Appletons tour. Cost $112 US per person.I would recommend this tour. As long as you know you are in for a LONG day. You only spend an hour or two at each place, the rest of the day is spent driving in the bus. So make sure you’re prepared for that. We got pretty car sick on the way there. Just hot and a very bumpy ride up the winding roads into the country side and up the mountain. We left the resort at 7:30am and had to stop in Negril to pick up some other people for our tour. From Negril, I’d say it was maybe 2 hours at least, til we arrived at the Black River. There, we boarded a boat and our guide showed us around the black river. If you’re at all into nature, you’ll find this interesting. Different birds and plants and trees. The “rasta tree”. We only saw one crocodile, but still that’s pretty cool! He was just chillin under the water surface. Apparently it was too cold for him to come out. I’d say we were on the boat for about an hour maybe. Then we docked and had the most delicious lunch. Jerk chicken, fish, pasta salad, veggies. Note that the lunch was not included in our tour cost. So it was $12 US per person for lunch. Worth it though. We then piled back into the bus and headed to YS Falls. We parked the bus and took a tractor-driven trolly up to the falls. Magnificent! A jungle oasis! There are different levels of the falls and pools. You can jump off a rope swing. You can go swimming under waterfalls. You can even go ziplining. It was gorgeous! We spent maybe an hour and a half there and then we got back on the bus and drove up the mountains to the Appletons Factory. The factory sits on a massive amount of land and the grounds are beautiful. We started off with some rum punch and then took a tour of the factory, complete with a demonstration of how they used to do it with the donkeys and sugarcane. We got to sample molasses/sugar crystals, and then the tour ended with sampling about 8 different types of rum. You could sample as much as you wanted. You can purchase rum directly there. The “gift” that we received from them was a small sample of their overproof rum. We headed back and it was a long drive home. Probably at least 3 hours. Seeing the country side was neat though. I saw people bathing in the river. There were forest fires at the time too. We arrived back at our resort around 7:30pm. Basically this was a great tour and we were happy with our choice. But we thought it was a long and exhausting day (12 hours). The only thing that bummed me out about it was that we were stuck in the bus for probably a total of 6 hours that day, and it was the first day we had seen sunshine! So I kind of wished we could have spent it on the beach instead. But I’m sure glad I got to see all 3 attractions.
The food at the resort definitely exceeded my expectations. We loved that we could eat at a different restaurant every night. We ate at the Italian, the Creole, the Asian, the Steakhouse, and the Mexican. The Asian had delicious sushi! My favorite at the Mexican was the garlic soup and my boyfriend loved his tortilla soup. He wasn’t crazy about his tacos, but my fajitas were delicious. The Creole had a ton of seafood and of course Jerk chicken. The desserts weren’t the best. Overall we were very impressed with the restaurants. There were only a few dishes that we weren’t crazy about. You should expect to wait a bit before you get in though. There are no reservations (unless you upgraded), so it’s kind of like waiting for Earl’s or Joey’s at home. You’d usually get a pager so you can wait in the infinity bar or outside somewhere. But they have a bar in the lobby area of each restaurant, so just enjoy your free drinks and chill out! It’s not like you have anywhere to be. If you are starving though, I would suggest the buffet that night. Because we did wait up to an hour and a half for Bubba’s one night. A couple times we were seated immediately, and the other two times was maybe a 30-45 min wait. The buffest were never more than a 5-10 minute wait usually. We only had dinner at the buffet once, but it was delicious! It was French night and there were dessert crepes, pasta, quiche, ahh so many choice and so good! Lunch buffets were quite good too. There was pizzas, burgers, hot dogs, a Panini/Sub station. We usually ate our lunch on the beach at the Jerk Chicken hut. You must try this at least once! BBQ’d jerk chicken, corn on the cob, and paella. The paella was very yummy, but if you don’t like squid, shrimp, etc, you won’t want this. It was packed with them. This hut is the purple shack located on the activities beach, right near Poseidon restaurant. You can also grab food and snacks at the sports bar. It’s located in the Lady Hamilton, tucked in a corner near the entertainment stage. You can order burgers, chicken fingers, etc or just grab nachos and pizza. Breakfast was pretty impressive too. I always found something to fill me up, and I’m a pretty picky eater. I was disappointed in the lack of fruit selection. Overall, I’d say the resort’s food was a 4 out of 5. We definitely never went hungry, and often found ourselves going “mmmm!!!”
The service at the hotel was hit or miss. More often a hit though, I’d say. I think this had to do with the fact that it’s such a large resort. Don’t expect anyone to serve you drinks on the beach. You’ll have to go to the bar yourselves. Not a big deal! Sometimes you’d wait a few minutes to be served at the pool bars, but what can you do, there was only one or two of them and 10 or 15 of us. We’d recommend bringing large insulated to-go mugs. A lot of Canadians there had huge Bubba mugs from Canadian Tire. My boyfriend regretted not bringing one. It can be a bit of a hike from where you’re parking your butt all day to where the bar is, so it’s nice to have the drinks last a bit longer. You can also always ask for two or three at once if you want. I thought it was funny when I read reviews about no face cloths. I was like, “whatever, I don’t need a face cloth!”. But when we arrived, I noticed that ALL we had was TWO bath towels. No hand towel or anything. Which wasn’t a big deal, but I left a note for the maid the next morning for an extra towel, so we could at least use it as a bathmat. She left a hand towel and 3 towels the next morning. So we were happy. One day though, I went to shower around 5pm and the maid had already cleaned the room. My boyfriend showered first and he used a towel. When I went to shower, I realized there was only the one towel! I wasn’t going to shower with his wet towel so I called the front desk and asked someone to bring me an extra towel. They arrived in about 30 min. So the towel situations that you read about are actually true! My suggestion would be to leave a note and a couple dollars for the maid. I’m sure you’ll get what you request. We always did. It’s silly that you have to request enough towels, but that seemed to be the case, at least with us. We also didn’t have a remote control for our TV the first day. So I called the front desk and they said someone would come with one. No one did. So the next day I left a note for our maid and she pulled through! We had a remote that day. Unfortunately, the batteries didn’t work. So I called the front desk and requested batteries, no one came. Quite disappointing. Not that we NEEDED the remote, but just disappointed in the service, or lack of service. We left another note for our maid, always with a tip, and we had a working remote, finally, on day 3. Other than that, the service was quite good. The servers at the restaurant were great, the buffet people were great. Always made sure you had water in your glass or coffee in the morning. The bartenders were awesome. Everyone there is so happy, it’s contagious. It seemed that Jamaicans really do live by the “no problem” mentality. You’ll always catch someone breaking into song, singing to themselves. Even the groundspeople working on the gardens were smiling and chatty. Once in a while they’d also ask us if we’d like to buy ganja. Kind of funny lol.
Be sure to explore and walk around, you’ll discover something new every day! We used the maps religiously. They’re posted along the sidewalks. There are a couple adult pools that are closer to the villas. There’s the large main pool, it’s stunning.All pools were quite chilly! Usually the ocean was warmer. Wander over to the spa at least once, it’s gorgeous. If you walk in the spa, beside the desk are doors that you can go through. There you’ll find shaded pools with taps running and a hot tub. The hot tub Never worked while we were there. Would have been nice to sit in there on one of the rainy days. The gym was pretty impressive too, compared to most resort gyms. I didn’t use any equipment though. The casino was ok if you’re into slot machines. We just walked through, didn’t try anything. There’s a bar in there of course. The disco is cute, with Bob Marley décor. We never went in when it was actually hopping, so I can’t comment on it really. The infinity bar is the big bar on the second floor overlooking the large main infinity pool. That seemed to be the place to be in the evening. Waiting for dinner or hanging out after dinner. Enjoying the live band and free drinks. Waiters will usually serve you there. The sports bar had pool and ping pong tables. They showed NFL Sunday and usually had soccer playing (football, I think they call it?).
One thing I should mention is the dress code. They do enforce the guys wearing pants at restaurants. My boyfriend only brought one pair of jeans so he wore them every night! While they don't care what the ladies wear, I felt VERY underdressed in the evening. I just brought beach clothes and I noticed so many of the girls dressed up. So do bring at least a couple dressier outfits.
The beaches were very pretty. Check out the map to see how to get to them all. My fave was the adult beach, right down from the adult pool. I want to say it was called Coral beach, but I could be wrong. It was a nice cove and close enough to the bar just up the stairs. It also offered protection from the wind. I found it very windy up at the main pool/beach. The main beach by the large pool has really cool beds on the beach, even bunk beds! Unfortunately, it’s true what they say about water shoes. I’d recommend bringing them for sure. While the beaches are beautiful, if you want to actually go in the water, you’ll see that there’s quite a bit of rocks and coral. This could be your main disappointment, if you like to spend all your time in the ocean, like my boyfriend. It was the only drawback for him. Quite a few people were snorkeling. I could be wrong about this, but it appeared that you had to either bring your own snorkel gear, or pay $10 at the activities shack to go snorkeling. We never bothered to look into it much. You can also take out paddle boats and the sailing catamaran things. Although I was told that you must pay $17 for a lesson before you can take the catamaran out, unless you know how to drive it. Or something like that.
Thankfully there was no one on the beach harassing you to buy their things or to get braids, like so many other resorts. The only time we were approached was the actual people who worked for the resort, they were offering the snorkeling and scuba diving. We got approached quite often though, but they easily took no for an answer.
If you bring your laptop, you can get free wireless in the lobby areas. There are chairs and couches there that you can sit on.
The safes in the room were easy to work. You program a code.
All in all, we would highly recommend this resort and we fell in love with Jamaica. Anything negative that I talked about was MINOR and did not affect our stay at all. We will definitely be back. We would like to see Negril and other countries first, but one day we will be back to the Grand Palladium Jamaica.
If anyone has any specific questions, please message me. I’d be happy to help!

Charlotte, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

First of all let me tell you this is my 4th all inclusive and I read most reviews before going. I know there are usually complainers everywhere but this place is not worth your money. The resort itself is beautiful but the employees and service are HORRIBLE. Yes, you do need to bring your own wash clothes, that's not custom there. You might want to pack some bathroom towels too. They don't even give you one per person. If you eat at a buffet it takes at least 30 mins before you get a drink brought to your table. We had a server pacticaly throw coffee cups at us, and only after I got her name and told her she was being RUDE and that I was going to go to mgmt did she act remotely friendly. We only stayed for 3 nights and after the first night it was so bad we talked to the manager. There is nothing they can do, there other than a customer service overhaul to improve the resort. We waited 45 min in the hot sun for the jerk chicken. There were not plates at the breakfast buffet, had to ask for some. And ANYTIME you ask a question the employees just point and say "go that way", no smiles. We walked into a restaurant one night and stood there for 5 mins while the hostess worked on paperwork. He never looked up at us until we said excuse me. I have stayed in Jamaica at the RIU, I would recommed that resort for anyone interested in being treated like a human. Oh, and I forgot one thing, we were the only people I saw tipping pretty much the whole trip and even that didn't make our service any better. DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY OR VACATION TIME ON THIS RESORT. I WISH I WOULD HAVE TAKEN THESE REVIEWS MORE SERIOUSLY. WE WERE JIPPED!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
London, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

Bottom line..this is a beautiful resort. I'm sorry ..but people complaining about not having a 'face cloth' and it ruining their week are nuts! Please people..if a face cloth is as important as you make it out to be..bring a precious one with you!
Also if you are aren't able to scale two flights of stairs (no elevators in villas) or walk two city blocks..DON'T COME HERE. The resort property is very large and walking is necessary.
That aside.. the resort is clean (and I mean very clean), the rooms are spacious and nicely done up. The buffet restaurant is good for a buffet..they are never that great ~ who wants to wait in line? The a la Carte restaurants were very good. The Mexican, Steakhouse and Creole were excellent. The Asian was good ..just not my thing. Yes..Men need long pants (even jeans are ok). How hard is it to wear a pair of pants? There is also Italian, Indian and Seafood.
The Posideon at the beach was great at lunch and has a menu and salad bar. The Sports Bar is good until around 8pm when it gets loud and crammed with drunks and the smoking in a small area can become quite toxic.
The bars are good..I esp liked the Infinity bar at the top of the complex. There is bar service there as well as in the open air theatre. Miss Lou's bar is a nice break with A/C and NO SMOKING. Some of the bars can get very crowded at night with people on stools and make it hard to get a drink.
There is a jacuzzi in the spa and you can use it and the pools without cost. It's nice and quiet around there with no music and kids if you like quiet and no crowds..which I do. The big pool and area around it are quite loud and busy during the day. Some simply sunbathe and some play beach volleyball etc. There's lots for everyone to do. We tended to stick to the "Lady Hamilton" side of the resort which is quieter and has few to no kids around. The adult pool and beach is a nice place to kick back..there's even a bar there.
The Pros: You can snorkle right off the beach ..there are tons of coral reefs and fish to see. You will want to bring your own water shoes or even flippers.
There are lots of food choices and restaurants. A la Carte, buffet and casual (Sports Bar and Beach BBQ)
Beautiful views ..get Ocean view if you can. We had a Honeymoon Villa and it was fantastic. It has a jacuzzi made for 4 people in the bathroom!
Fantastic service: We had great service at all of the a la Carte restaurants. The buffet breakfast could be a little spotty with coffee and water..but it was usually quite busy and they were trying.
Pools: lots of pools with different atmosphere. Quiet to as loud as you want.
Walkways: covered walkways are nice for shade and getting around when it rains.

The cons: There is WAY TOO MUCH smoking in the public areas. Within the main complex..around the restaurants and pools..you had to wade through a cloud of smoke and it was GROSS. Smokers sure like to light up extra on vacation.
The beach is a little hard and bumpy. It's man made so I get it. From a review standpoint it is a 3/5 for walking on..to look at it's gorgeous.
The tiles can get very slick when wet. I fell myself and hurt my food. I heard of others that fell and hurt their backs etc.
It would be nice if there was room service..even for breakfast.

I would def recommend this resort and return myself in the future. I've stayed at 5 other '4-5 star' hotels in Jamaica and this one def measures up..esp for the price.
Any specific questions about this resort..just e-mail .. cheers!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!