“My advice... spend the extra few bucks and go to Negril!” 3 of 5 stars

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   The Point, Lucea, Jamaica   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
New Jersey
“My advice... spend the extra few bucks and go to Negril!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

Definitely would not recommend this hotel to any friend or family member. I was under the impression that this resort was built in July 2008 but it CLEARLY WAS NOT! Some of the buildings, cement, structures were clearly from the 70's... there were some areas that looked new. The service was horrible... they obviously have no sense of customer service. Also, it is a very bad sign when every room has a form to fill out for repairs needed. As someone else stated, STAY OUT OF BLDG 25.. .smells like sewage and rooms are a disaster... and if you complain, they SAY they will send someone to repair, but they will not...

The main pool looks beautiful and it is HUGE, but on closer examination it was filthy. I wouldn't even go into any of the pools. They had tile bottoms that were missing several tiles or were broken and we picked them out. There are no trashcans anywhere to be found on site and the bars are all far away, especially on the beach. They were, however generous with the liquor and the drinks and food were very good.

Several people in our party of 18 had problems getting change or small bills. They simply would not give it to you and it was difficult if not impossible to tip their own staff. Don't even bother making any requests,,, they don't hear anything you ask.

Also, the location..... located right next to a mountain and out in the middle of nowhere. The mountain is constantly covered with clouds. We had a lot of clouds and even a few rain showers. One day it poured on and off for most of the day. A few of us took a bus trip to Negril where it was beautiful, sunny and cloud-free!

Now for the beds..... the most uncomfortable, hard bed I was ever in. We joked that they were just two boxsprings piled on top of each other. But, generous as they were, you could PURCHASE comfort! Yes, for a nominal fee, you could make your bed comfortable!!

I tried to get Internet access.. even purchased their card but could only get on the internet one time for about 10 minutes. Tried several times during our 6-day trip but had no luck. Same went for others in my group.

I would definitely say spend the extra $$ and go to Negril unless you are looking for a cheap get away with friends. I would never take my kids there. For a trip with a group of partying adults, it was fine, but the amenities were few and far between. It just seemed like everything was half-done... that if they finished things such as landscaping, cleaning and customer service, it could be very nice.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,165)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
nj
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

11 of us were under a lot of stress at this resort. the staff must have been in training.. the pools were algae filled and there were hundreds of little square white tiles everywhere !!
the casino was closed, no handrails going up or coming down the stairs.. no elevators..the jacuzzies were not working.. only 1 bar with premium liquor.. the other stuff was rotgut...we were promised reduced rates at another resort but that never worked out... i would rather go to Iraq...

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
Buffalo Grove, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

Stayed at the Grand Pladdium 3/21 - 3/27, had a wonderful time, beautiful resort, sure it has some flaws but what doesn't?
Let me clarify something the resort name is Grand Pladdium then there are 2 sections if you will- the Jamaica section and the Lady Hamilaton section, the L.H. is closest to the restraunts and pools / beaches (one - adults only allows topless sunbathing)
We had a 1 bedroom suite, (Villa 37) very roomy, balcony off the living room had an ocean view and the one off the bedroom viewed the spa pool, both had lights so you could sit and read in the evening if you'd like. Beds are very hard, not comfortable (my husband loved it)
The toilets have to "build up with water" so don't try to flush consecutivly , the bathrrom had a large juccuzi tub, VERY relaxing as the rest of the outdoor juccuzis don't work and have the same temp water as the pools...cool to cold. Lots of missing tiles in the pools
go to Sunset Cove beach it is beautiful
Service at the bars are great, they are not stingy with the alcohol so watch out. Be sure to bring your own insulated cup they serve drinks and beer in samll plastic cups. and the stores charge a fortune for the insulated ones.
Restraunts are ok,Mexican is very good food but be careful if it's busy, we waited over an hour and fifteen mins for our main course (second visit) before we finally left and went to the buffet.
The omlets are the best choice for breakfast, everything else for breakast lunch or dinner is all served room temp, nothing is served HOT, even soup is lukewarm yuck!!!

As for service, everyone was friendly and willing to accomodate, just remember you are on island time not US time so relax!!
In room fridge nice, restocked daily, if you want something specific just leave a note and they are very accomodating.
Check in was smooth, we arrived approx 12 noon and our room was ready.
However, beware we were on a apple vacation and our transfer to the hotel blocked the door and wouldn't let us on the bus until we tipped them !!!
This is our 5th apple vacation and have NEVER been treated like that.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Detroit, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

We enjoyed our vacation so much in Dec-08 that we decided to return Mar-09 and here was our experience the 2nd time around.

CHECK-IN
We were greeted with warm smiles and a “welcome to Jamaica” by the bellman and received Rum Punch by the hostess. There was no other guest checking in when we arrived, and the registration clerk was courteous, prompt & professional which made the check-in experience FLAWLESS.

ROOM ACCOMODATIONS
After check-in, we were driven via trolley by the bellman to our villa titled “Birth of Paradise” and the name could not have been more fitting. We opened the door; and there was a fruit platter awaiting our arrival, towel art and a fully stocked mini bar. The room was impeccably cleaned everyday by Jennifer and towels were provided daily. We never experienced a shortage of hot water and or any other issues during our stay.

Our Romance Villa was located approximately 25 feet from the ocean with the adult beach in front of us and a pool/bar behind us and with another intimate beach to the far right.

IMAGINE waking up and the first thing you see is the sky meeting the ocean without your feet touching the floor. The view was simply breathtaking.

We thoroughly enjoyed the hot tub which was large enough to seat 4 people and the outdoor shower was just another added bonus. IMAGINE showering by sunrise in the morning and by the stars at night. SOOOOOOOO ROMANTIC!

AESTHETICS
The resort was just as remarkable as was our first visit in December. Panoramic views throughout this property are ABSOULUTELY AMAZING. Open Air Views overlooking the deep blue ocean, the intimate beaches and the fabulous infinity pool. The Inside of the resort is equally beautiful.

BUFFET RESTAURANTS

SNACKS – SUNSET COVE(5*)
JERK HUT
Outstanding Jerk Chicken w/Sauce & Yams

ALA CARTE RESTAURANTS
INDIAN - Hindi – Bhogali (5 *)
Shish Kabob, Butter Chicken, Mulligwany Soup

ORIENTAL - The Lotus House (4*)
Crusted Tofu, Buffalo wings, Beef Tips, Shrimp & Curry Chicken w/Noodles

SEAFOOD - Poseidon (5*)
Seafood Soup, Cheese & Garlic Bread, Garlic Shrimp, Fried Tilapia, Octopus

CREOLE - Xaymaica (5*)
Island Lamb, Crusted Tilapia, Seafood Gumbo, Coconut Shrimp

RENOVA SPA (5*)
We treated ourselves to a Swedish couple’s massage which truly felt like a combination of Swedish and a deep tissue massage. In any event it was EXCEPTIONAL.

We also enjoyed the lap pool, steam room, the sauna, and the dipping pool was so exhilarating.

BEACH/POOL
We enjoyed hanging out at the different pools and beaches, but our favorite spot is SUNSET COVE.

BARS
We didn’t utilize the bars that much, mostly for Ice because we came toting our favorite drink: Yes You Know!!! BAILEYS.

ENTERTAINMENT
We found the entertainment to be lacking especially in comparison to our first visit; but, the entertainment crew or lack thereof did not hamper our vacation in any form or fashion.

FREE WIFI
WIFI worked perfectly in the upper & lower lobbies in both Jamaica & Lady Hamilton.

WIFI CARD
You may purchase a card for $20.00 for 24 hour usage which begin upon activation and expire within the 24 hour period.
Or
You may purchase a card for $8.00 for 1 hour usage which begins upon activation but you can use Example: 15 minutes one day, 15 min. the next day etc.

The above options were not feasible for us so we chose the Free WIFI which worked out very well.

In Closing
The Grand Palladium Resort Management & Staff exceeded our expectations once again. We came with smiles, patience, and expecting to have a grand time and we received it back ten-fold.

We met other guest from Russia, England, Canada, New York, Florida, Maryland, Philadelphia, Boston, Atlanta and Wisconsin; and everyone we spoke to were very pleased with the property, rooms, dining choices and customer service. In fact, many were pleasantly surprised because the negative reviews on Trip Advisor were in total contrast with their experience.

However, I did meet one lady that was not having a favorable experience at the resort, but what I found humorous was her issues were of a personal nature and had nothing to do with the resort itself.

We have traveled extensively to other islands and I was reminded that this trip was our 15th visit to Jamaica not 14th as previously stated, but nevertheless, this was By-far the BEST VACATION WE EVER HAD and are PLANNING to RETURN in the FALL.

Respectfully,

Jamaica4u

NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

Bottom line: you will have a great vacation if you have reasonable expectations and don't expect to get more than what you paid for. If you read all of the reviews below, pretty much all the good stuff as well as the bad stuff is accurate. I certainly would not call this a 5 star resort as it is labeled, but it is a solid 4 star facility and is a very reasonable value (we paid $1200 per person for 8 nights, 9 days on expedia). All in all the facilities are very nice, the resort is huge but very manageable. The resort is made with nice materials and good planning, but as the locals built it and they are constantly high and probaly the laziest people in the planet, many things are already falling apart (but just don't let that get to you! who really cares! just have fun) :) Pools and beaches are in abundance. What I really liked was that it never felt crowded, there was always enough space for everyone no matter where you were and there were no lines (for a la carte restaurants I'd suggest going before 6:30PM unless you don't mind waiting for a few and sit around for a drink). There are many many bars all around - drinks for the most part are not great, but you can definitely find a few that you will enjoy. I stuck with mojitoes for the most part. Rum drinks are pretty good too. Stay away from the tequila - Pepe Lopez is naaaaaasty stuff! haha Make sure to find the fancy little bar next to where the band plays at night, because it is the only bar that has top shelf liquor and nothing beats sipping on Courvosier after dinner with a nice cigar (bring your own, their's are too overpriced - which by the way everything is! you really don't want to pay 20 bucks for sunscreen and 25 for a razor). As far as food goes - overall it is unimpressive, but if you know what to get and where, you will have yourself a true 5 star vacation. For breakfast the buffet is very decent, defnitely go for the fresh juices that they make, sit outside and don't be shy to order yourself a double expresso. Or two. For lunch, we usually went to the beach for the jerk chicken, which is offfff the hoooook! to die for! Lunch and dinner buffets are decent, but nothing to write home about. For dinner, if you want 5 star dining, you gotta go to the Italian joint, get a table closer to the water and order all of their appetizers (enterees are ok too, but if you really value good food, then order yourself 3 beef carpaccios and you are set). I thought that the white wine was quite decent and I liked the fact that the free wine is pored from the regular bottles and none of those white disgusting things or a keg. Hmm what else... As far as tours, I'd stick to the bare minimum, I feel that most of them are a rip off (at least compared to other vacation spots - not a good value). Tip generously when needed and appropriate and don't tip just because someone wants it! For example on the first day I asked the minibar people to only bring me water, but lots of it and they ignored my request, so they got nothing every day. Oh well. Do take advantage of everything that the resort has to offer! The spa was great (my gf got a hot stone massage and said it was amazing); they have tennis courts, table tennis, mini golf... you name it. Lots of free water sports. And they have some semilegal jet ski guy, which is a pretty good deal (we paid 50 bucks for 2 people, but I am sure you can get it down even lower).
Ok, I think that's all I can come up with! Have a blast! It's a good resort, good deal and if you don't let some little imperfections bother you, you'll have a very VERY good time. Ya mon!

Suisun City, Ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

The good stuff: This hotel campus is absolutely beautiful, and the outside areas are kept very clean. It is agood value, and so we had money for some great excursions such as snorkeling and zipline. You are never more than 10 feet away from an excellent rum drink and they are generous with the rum. They had some fun evening shows with live entertainment.

In our opinion: If 5 star food is what you are looking for, don't come. You will be dissappointed. We could find things we liked in the buffets and after 2 bad restaurant experiences (i.e. french onion soup that was so cold the cheese hardened on top, and baby back ribs that were not ribs at all- just a slab of pork fat mostly) we stuck to the buffets were we could generally find things we liked.

If working things such as jacuzzi's are important to you don't come. Our jacuzzi did not work in our first room, or in the second one they gave us. We talked to enough guests to know most of theirs didn't work. The repair person that looked at ours left the hatch to the motor open and after taking a look my husband said they did not use wiring large enough to support the motors. I might add that the jacuzzis in the pools were not working either. Though very pretty in design, the overall construction is rather shoddy. In our bathroom the ceiling was already warped, and the molding was pulling away. Many missing tiles in the swimming pool which is kind of a shame because the pool is beautiful. Light fixtures all over the hotel had wires exposed.

Service: Like all places there were many warm and friendly people who went out of their way and others that were not completely rude, but just not smiley.

Location: Although beautiful, he resort is in Lucea, about 35 miles west of Montego Bay, so leaving the hotel required a tour of some sort, or a pricey taxi. But the rest of the vacation was so reasonable this was not so bad considering.

Conclusion: Come here for the beauty and value- just reduce your expectations on the food and things working. Bring a watch. The rooms don't have clocks. Finally, you can not have a bad time in Jamaica!

Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

I just got back from the Grand Palladium and had a wonderful stay there. I read so many reviews before I left that I was nervous and felt like I had to "really prepare" my friends (we surprised my husband for his birthday) before they went.

Layout - I was very pleasantly surprised. As many have said, the resort was gorgeous, yes very spread out (it's built by a company in Spain, people USED to walking, unlike some of the disgruntled heavy-set Americans I read reviews from- all you are doing is eating a laying out - WALK a little, people). Ask for building 12 or 13 - very close to everything. The rooms were clean and marble-floored, with a nice balcony. I can see how people could hit or miss on this vacation, but even with 6 people, we hit it.

Staff - Very little wait checking in and out, our room was ready, the staff was friendly. You all have to understand, they pay these people SO little and then make them work ridiculous hours. Also, everything about the American "get it fast" service system is totally opposite from their whole way of life. Give them a chance to shift their paradigm to our 'want it now' mentality. We only tipped extra a few times and never felt pressured to do more.

The longest wait we had at a restaraunt was 25 minutes, even with 6 people. On the whole, the food was not great. The omelets were the way to go in the morning, and they had amazing fresh fruit juices - 10 different kinds. The coffee is fantastic - buy some before you go home. The Mexican, Asian and Italian restaraunts were pretty good (italian the best), the sushi at the Asian took FOREVER... and the steak house was pretty nasty. Bad desserts all the way around, but hey, you don't need them after all those drinks you have had. Make sure to find the Miss Lou bar on the 2nd floor - and ask Amaly to make you her special 'dessert drink' - better than any dessert offered! The wine was not great, and if you love limes, they don't keep any at the resort which made me sad, since limes are a main crop of Jamaica.

Activities - We visited the Margaritaville in Negril (great food and margaritas)- beautiful beaches and great snorkeling. We also went and jumped the cliffs and Ricks Cafe - we had heard the food wasn't good there, so we didn't try anything. FIND SUNSET COVE Beach. I have been to some of the Top 10 Beaches in the world, and to me this rivaled it. It was gorgeous. Catamarans, sea kayaks, paddle boats and waverunners all at your finger tips. Yes the pools are cold, but it didn't seem to stop anyone from getting in them. Also, for a quieter gettaway, the spa pool was a nice area to go and take a nap after working out in the afternoon - great fitness facility - the spa pools were all the same temperature (no real "hot tub"), but the massages were great, and only $65.

* We didn't see any construction around, and the only let-down was that the Casino was all electronics, no table games. We probably saved ourselves from losing some serious money.
* The entertainment was lacking, and a TON of booty shaking, even at the family show, so beware those with little kiddos. We usually hung around for a few minutes, then left. The old people seemed transfixed, however...... :)

All in all, go with the understanding that the hotel is new, the people are from an entirely different culture, and enjoy yourself. You are on vacation on a beautiful island. Will we return? Someday, but until then there is so much of the world to see...

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!