“More Fresh Local Fruit Please” 3 of 5 stars

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   The Point, Lucea, Jamaica   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Calgary, Canada
“More Fresh Local Fruit Please”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We were traveling with a family of 4 people. Ages were as young as 9 years old.

The greatest showcase to the Grand Palladium is the hard working, warm staff. Staffs are wonderful and we felt very welcomed by everyone. Of exceptional service were the Bartenders and the staff at Total Water Sports.

Rooms were kept very clean and comfortable. There was one issue with the room though. Our sink and shower emitted a foul odor. The chambermaid was able to mask this with coffee but it only temporarily sustained. Rooms were very quiet and restful during the day but once the sun set the sound of crickets made it very difficult to get goodnights sleep. The front desk was willing to spray a non-toxic chemical but we requested they not do this for concerns with having children present.

The restaurants were average. It could have been much better if the hotel showcased more options with their fresh local fruits and produce - mangos, bananas, avocados, and locally found crawfish. Highball rum drinks like mojitos were excellent. Pina Colada and Daiquiris appears to be syrup based and not fresh. Bartenders had excellent service and always were well organized.

The family enjoyed swimming at Sunset Cove. Sunset Cove had nice soft sand, clear water, and all the free water spot activities – kayaking, paddleboat, paddle surfing, and wind surfing. The TWS employees were friendly and did a good job-organizing people in order for use of the equipment fairly. The other beaches were much too rocky to do anything other than sunbath and collect shells. We were unable to swim out on the other beaches other than on Sunset Cove.

Overall, the Grand Palladium Jamaica as an affordable resort but could polish a few things. We would definitely will return to Jamaica because of the kindness of their people but likely would choose another hotel that put a bit more effort into the selection of fresh food choices and hotel rooms.

Room Tip: - All sofa couches would be the similar size to a twin bed. - The Lady Hamilton side is exactly the...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,149)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

PROS:
• Proximity to airport - from grabbing our bags, to arriving was less than an hour.
• The scenery - the beaches are stunning, and the hotel layout is vast. We spent every day on a different beach or pool, all of which have different vibes so we never were bored
• Room - although it was a long walk to get to the main pool, they have shuttle service (although you're splurging on vacation - the walk is a nice way to burn it all off). Our room was overlooking the ocean, and the crashing sounds and light breezes lulled us to sleep every night
• Indian restaurant - delicious. We ate there as many times as we could. The second runner-up was the salad/nacho bar at the Mexican place (unfortunately these are both only open for dinner).
• The Sports Bar -although there are no windows (who doesn't want to look outside when you're on vacation?!), the buffet was pretty good (if you like bar food: chicken nuggets, chips + whiz, etc.).
• Service - most people are VERY friendly, especially if you throw them a couple of dollars.
• The Spa - I got a credit from sitting through an insufferable time-share sales pitch, but the spa facilities were lovely and quiet and my massage was very relaxing.

CONS:
• FOOD: it's abysmal. We live in a city, so there's a chance that we're spoiled, but it was very hard to forage a decent meal, even at the buffet. The cold cuts were grey, hot dishes congealed with bone shards, salad makings scarce, eggs were soupy. Nothing tasted quite right. We tried the steak house first, and it was very disappointing, even with the lower expectations we had coming into an all-inclusive meal. The ceviche had clearly been refrigerated and reserved a dozen times. The tuna steak was VERY fishy tasting. We also tried the Asian restaurant, and although they sat us right away, we walked out after sitting there without being greeting (not even for water) after 20 minutes.
• DRINKS: again, we kept our expectations low, but the wine was nearly impossible to drink. It tasted like it had been in the sun for days upon end. The champagne was an ok substitute, but after a few days, was also hard to get down. They only have Red Stripe (no RS Light), and the alcohol was very cheap-tasting and headache-inducing. Not the place to order a piña colada, either - they use coconut syrup, not coconut milk, so it's not refreshing or delicious.
• THE INCESSANT TIME-SHARE SELLING: They trick everyone into picking up a welcome gift, which is well-earned after: 1. breakfast with a sales person at the buffet you'd at eat anyway, 2. a tour around the hotel to see the (suspiciously not being used) VIP facilities, and 3. a meeting in the VIP lounge. (The gifts subsequently were nice - I got a $200 spa credit, but you can also get a day pass to the spa, or a bottle of Appleton's rum - if you're not sick of Jamaican rum by that point). The sales pitch, which was only supposed to take 90 minutes, was never-ending, and the more frustrated we got, the better the deal they offered. If the food wasn't so terrible, we probably would have bitten - but I can't imagine paying any amount of money to be stuck with such poor dining options.

The last thing is although everyone is very friendly and quick to say they'll help you, requests are often ignored, particularly from the front desk. We asked for a wake-up call that we never received; asked for a shuttle to the front desk upon departure - it never came; checked out the night before so we could leave at 7am (4+hours early to get to the airport, as insisted on by the transport company) but they didn't give us a card to confirm we'd checked out (didn't know there was such a thing!), so it was a mad scramble in the morning to make the shuttle.

If your only concern is gorgeous beaches and great weather, then this is a great place. If you'd like to enjoy the unlimited meals and drinks that you paid for

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Hi everyone! So I have been a Palladium travel member for about 4 years now (you can find reviews from me about each hotel) but unfortunately I never took the time to review Grand Palladium Jamaica. I have travelled twice to this hotel. First time was in January 2013 and second time was June 2014. Both times, I stayed there for two weeks. I am going to split this review between both visits because I had two completely different experiences.

January 2013:
Upon arriving in Jamaica for the first time, I really loved the ambiance and the people. The people are so full of life & respectful and I truly love Jamaicans from the bottom of my heart! The service we received upon arrival (being Palladium members) was amazing. We dealt with Nakota which is truly an amazing person. We had fast check in, we reserved all of our a la carte restaurant's, free excursion and so fourth. If you would like more information on the Palladium travel club please message me and I will give you more information with pleasure. What I will say is it's 100% worth it if you travel 1-2 a year. So, the check in was the best by far than any other Palladium (I travelled to all of them except for Ibiza). The pool is HUGE, it is the largest pool at any resort in Jamaica and it's gorgeous! The food at the buffets/a la cartes was very good. We had a deluxe junior suite, theirs not much I can complain about besides the beach on my first visit. The beach is beautiful however very rocky so you need to bring water shoes. Most of the time, we were by the pool. It's not a very long beach either so there's not much you can walk. That's the only comment I can make on my first visit.

Second visit/June 2014
On our second visit, we decided to go on the Lady Hamilton side and booked a suite which was very nice. It was nice until I noticed certain things that disgusted me. First off, the vents in the room looked like they hadn't been cleaned in years but I said to myself, hey it's not a big deal. One night, I went back to my room and a had a visit of a lizard in my room, i'm a scary cat with these things but I understood that common your in the carribean it's normal right? so after an hour of trying to get him out we succeeded. Well the little lizard kept coming in EVERY NIGHT and there was no way to get rid of him so the rest of my vacation I was sleeping with one eye open lol. That was the least of my worries because what happened next, I was ready to go home. We went to the buffet one night and as I went to grab my plate, there was a cockroach on it. Again, were in the carribean but that sincerely was concern to see them where you get food. I saw atleast 2-3 a day in the buffets next to the plates. I got over it...but again what happened next...I was at an a la carte, steak house to be specific. I'm sitting in booth kind of table, and I see one right next to my leg, I got up and moved the bench of the booth and there was a whole COLONY of cockroaches. Is this normal? i don't think it's normal to see cockroaches in a freagin restaurant. Me and my were friends were absolutely horrified. The service was horrific, especially at the 24 hour snack bar. Sometimes, food was served cold. Some workers were lazy to serve you. Overall the second visit was not good what so ever. There was many other factors and our friends who experienced Palladium for the first time were devasted as they encountered there own problems as well. It pushed us to write a letter of complaint and unfortunately, i will not be going back there.

Everyone has a different experience but being an experienced Palladium traveller, i highly suggest the Palladium in Mexico and in Domenican (royal suites section)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We had a very good time in Jamaica, kids loved it, beautiful weather even with the occasional cloudy sky. Some good and bad with the hotel:

Good
1. Friendly staff, always a smile on their faces.
2. Lot of different restaurants to choose from.
3. The place is huge so even though it was fully booked it didn't seem like it.
4. Bartenders makes sure no one jumps the line and they are generous with the alcohol.

Bad
1. We stayed at the far end of the hotel so it was a lot of walking. The shuttles help but they are not always available.
2. I find the dress code is not always consistent. Kind of frustrating I was not admitted into the seafood restaurant because I was in shorts, had to walk all way back to building #18 (that is the opposite end) The seafood restaurant is right by Sunset Cove and it is outdoors, why so strict? Not to mention there is no signage outside to indicate you have to be in long pants. The manager there needs to relax a bit...no problem, ya man!!!
3. The food selection is not that good. Couple of examples being NO mangoes at the restaurants, I thought there are 15 variations of mangoes in Jamica! Another example is no shrimp cocktail at any of the restaurants, not even the seafood restaurant. :(
4. The cricket sound is really loud as soon as the sun goes down, so bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper.

That's about it, we love Jamaica but probably would try a different resort next time. Another good to know, the Sunset Cove beach is the nicest so stay at the Lady Hamilton it is the sister hotel on the same resort.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs
Liverpool, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We returned from an 8 day trip for Easter break. This resort is rated a 5 star and to my disappointment it is not. good points of resort are the rooms . We had a family suite which was very nice and had a lot of room for then 5 of us, very clean . The beds however are very uncomfortable. The resort itself is very nice and the pool is beautiful . The staff for the most part is very friendly and warm. We had a young women serve us by the pool the whole time named sonique . She was amazing and gave us the best treatment . The staff at the buffets were rude and made you feel like you were troubling them asking for food. The breakfast was the only good meal the whole stay. We went to the Italian a la carte resteraunt . An hour and a half wait. After sitting and finally ordering it look almost an hour and a half to get our meal and then after our Three hour wait the food was cold. Very disappointing . If this resort wants to be labeled as a 5 star it needs to improve the food .

Room Tip: Ask for close to hotel
Clinton, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

So this was my first time to Jamaica. I must admit after reading some of the negative reviews I was a little worried about what to expect. This hotel was not my first choice, but the other hotels were booked. There were also some very positive reviews, so I decided to make the best of any possible bumps in the road if we encountered any. I always like to form my own opinion. I wanted my son to have a special birthday/spring break. I would just make sure of it, no matter what happened! Treat people how you would like to be treated and 9 times out of 10, you will have a geat experience :-) Upon arrival after a very long day of traveling, we made it to the hotel around dinner time. When we checked in, I was immediately greeted by Sophia Daley, with such a warm beautiful smile. She said we had a king sized bed along with a pullout sofa. I did not want myself nor my son to have to sleep on a pullout after the money we spent, and did not feel it appropriate for my teenage son to sleep with me. She apologized profusely, and was able to put us in another room with 2 Queen size beds, and an ocean view. That alone made my vacation one I will never forget! We were in room 1424, on the second floor. Overall the food was pretty good. We dined at 2 (MoBay and Negril) of the 3 buffets (the 3rd one was the outdoor one overlooking the pool for people that wanted to sleep in) for breakfast and lunch, Sunset Cove beach(the best beach on the property) had a concession stand that served jerk chicken, pork, and paella at lunchtime. We also dined at few of the A La Carte restaurants for dinner. My favorite meals at the buffet were the fried whole Red Snapper, roasted pork, ox tail, and the duck. My son found plenty of things to please his picky palate . All of our servers were very attentive and pleasant! The manager who wore a red shirt (I wish I remembered his name) was very helpful when we needed some plain yogurt for my son's sunburn. It was recommended by a staff member and it worked! I also was able to get a piece of an Aloe Plant from one of the gardeners. We went on the Catamaran trip the next day after the orientation. It was only 45 min. away. Loved it! We left at 12;30pm and returned at around 7:45pm. I vowed to see 7 mile beach in Negril (where the catamaran was) while I was in Jamaica. It was soooo pretty. It was my son's birthday. After we returned from Negril, we dined at the Italian restaurant which we had a reservation for my son's birthday.He loves pasta! I didn't really care for the the trout that I ordered, but they brought me something else no problem. The buffet style appetizer station was very good in both the Italian, and Steak restaurants. We also went to the Asian one. I ordered all of the sushi rolls to try. I had heard you only get 2 pieces for each order. They were all good. My son loved Dolphin Cove which was right near the hotel. The days we stayed on the property were very enjoyable. We went to the beach in the morning and then the gigantic pool (where they had spin classes in the pool) in the afternoons. I went back to Sunset Cove a few times after the pool to partake in the reggae dance class. Clive was the man to see about taking out the paddle boat, kayaks etc.. He was one of my favorite people there. I don't know why on earth there was only one paddle boat for a property which was filled to capacity, but Clive always knew when it was our turn. Some days he was all alone and really could have used another person to help him out, but he always smiled even when he had a dozen people at a time asking him questions. I loved the dance classed held on the beach. Weazy and Buttercup were my favorite instructors. One of the nights they had a White Party on the beach. It consisted of a huge bonfire, music, and drinks. Since there are a lot of children which also attended, I would recommend, settting up the bar with water and juice first, since a bunch of children were having a dance party of their own during the sound check, and were very thirsty. They had plenty of alcohol. There was a show every night at the theater, a disco, and a casino. Since my son was under age I never made it to the disco or casino, but I was so tired by the end of each day from all the other fun we had, I didn't feel like I missed out on anything. I slept like a baby every night. My bed and pillows were extremely comforatable. Our air conditioning worked just fine. If you don't like to do the group excursions, there are always escorts in the lobby to take you where you want for a fair price, Amount is based on where and for how long. I did an early check out with Janel the night before our departure. Everything went smoothly I have done quite a bit of traveling all over the world. Our stay at the Grand Palladium Jamaica is now one of our favorite places to stay :-) Can not wait to go back!

Room Tip: Building 14 was quiet, and not too far from the restaurants and lobby (where you get free wifi)
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Jose M, Director General at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Mercierce,

Greetings and thank you for sharing with us your wonderful comments about your family vacation at our Resort. We are happy knowing that you all enjoyed your stay and what our property has to offer.

We are happy to know you enjoyed the new remodeled restaurants and our entertainment and water sport activities. Exceeding our guest’s expectations and offer truly memorable experiences is our commitment and we are proud to learn that we have achieved our goal.

We are so glad to know that you felt great with the staff; We will be happy to share your compliments with our great team, especially with Sophia,Clive, Weazy, Buttercup and Janel.

Thank you very much for all your compliments on our facilities and special services our team provides. Have shared all your remarks with them, it is always our pleasure telling our team how positive their right doing influence on all our customers holiday enjoyment.

It is amazing to read you had such a good time that you can't wait to come back. We would be happy hosting you all again in the near future for another vacations nothing short of Grand. Until then, best wishes from our Palladium family.

Jose Morgan - Hotel Manager
Rochester, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Excellent place for single and couples to attend. The rooms were clean and the staff was very professional and kind. This was all inclusive, it was as trip of a life time. We travel to Ochio Rios and climbed the Dunn Falls and swim with the dolphins and stings rays.

Room Tip: Best rooms are on the 4 floor and higher
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Jose M, Director General at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Querida Cassaandra,

Gracias por compartir con nosotros su opinión.Estamos en general muy contentos de que usted y su familia hayan disfrutado de su estancia con nosotros. Es delicioso que haya disfrutado de las deliciosas comidas que se ofrecen y de el entretenimiento . También es ideal que usted tomó la oportunidad de visitar otras áreas hermosas de Jamaica como Dunns River Falls y que realizó el sueno de nadar con delfines.

Nos encantaría tener la oportunidad de que acoger de nuevo en el futuro, No dude en contactar con nosotros si hay algo más en que podemos ayudarla .

Mejores Deseos

Jose Morgan - Hotel Manager

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!