R&R at the Grand Palladium Jamaica
Ya Mon No Problem! R&R =s Roaches and Rats !!!!
Don’t get me wrong the resort is beautiful. Weather perfect with only a couple afternoons of rain. Food delicious with lots of variety BUT the roaches and rats do exist. Roaches were not healthy (obviously they try to control by spraying) but the rat that leapt out of my closet over my shoulder was definitely lively and healthy. Front desk offered to switch our room but could not guarantee the problem would not reoccur.
The resort is located near Lucea which is about 50 minutes from the airport. Our check in was quick and efficient and then we were shuttled to our room.
Pros of the resort
*Staff speak English, we really liked this. We have traveled to Dominican Republic, Mexico, Costa Rica and the language barrier was fun but speaking English was a bonus.
*Rooms are beautiful and roomy
*fridge was well stocked daily
*THEY USE BOOZE IN THE DRINKS we really could feel the effects, unlike at other resorts where you could drink and drink and knew the booze was watered down.
*thankfully no smoking allowed in restaurants.
*large resort so shuttle bus service was necessary…(but infrequent)
* We managed to get into most of the specialty restaurants and were very pleased, especially the Italian & Indian restaurants. However, food does tend to arrive warm except at the buffet restaurants. Restaurants were all very good except Bubbas (steak house) and that disaster was due to a VERY SLOW waiter.
* evening bar and entertainment upstairs was really good :loved the steel band and Jamaican singing. Air was unfortunately polluted with cigarette smoke.
*theatre was fun. Staff try very hard to keep us entertained. The theatre was the best set up we have seen at any resort. All seats were good seats to see from (smokers again ruin it for us)
*beautiful pools, huge and spotless!
*Sunset Cove is a paradise retreat but far from bathrooms, food and bar.
*beach water at Sunset Cove was lovely and warm.
*Paddle Boats at Sunset cove were a great way to spend time relaxing on the water.
*water was calm and clear at sunset cove, great for snorkeling
* they need more staff with the great personality of Damion Campbell. He worked in the Negril Buffet Restaurant. Simply a delight upbeat guy and responded quickly with requests for coffee/drinks... Great guy!!
*Covered walk ways are a nice touch to walk out of rain or from hot sun.
*shopping trip to Negril and Ricks Café was well work the trip ($15 US per person).
Cons of the resort and suggestions they could/should do.
*rooms had roaches and ours had a rat. Rat ran under bathroom vanity and into a large hole under the tub. The resort should seriously cover these holes with metal grills rats can't chew through.
*fridge not very cold, staff said that’s the way it is.
*resort is isolated which makes trips off the resort difficult: 1-3 hour travel time.
*Need more non smoking areas at bars ectera, the resort needs to have more non-smoking areas for our evening entertainment enjoyment
*beaches are rocky so need the water shoes.
*pools tended to be cold
*This resort has a brain block when it comes to large groups that travel together. We are a group of 12 and have traveled together for many years to many resorts and have never had an issue getting a table of twelve put together. This place tended to put us at tables of two-sixes or three-fours. This usually meant different waiters serving at different speeds. Not to mention the specialty restaurants do not take reservations so they would try to make us wait until several large existing tables were emptied instead of putting together new ones… which meant people of twos and fours jumped in ahead of us while we waited for the larger tables to finish eating. Charenne the Hostess at Bubbas was the worst for not keeping her promises of ten minutes ! Most annoying.
* Asian restaurant was not tasty but perhaps that is a food preference on our part.
*The main buffet restaurant (Negril) could have more toasters, line gets quite long.
*Toilet seats were wobbly all over the resort. Perhaps they were cheaply installed.
*After a heavy rain there is a septic smell about the resort.
*perhaps they could have waiters circle about for drinks at pools and beaches
*Sunset Cove needs another set of steps leading to the quiet Cove… there is a well tracked path down a hill that people were making…so resort should take the hint.
*would be nice if they added Nachos/popcorn at the pool areas near Relax pool and Activity Centre as it’s a long walk for snacks.
*large resort so long walks as shuttles are not frequent.
*need more garbage’s at pool areas and on beaches. Lots along walk ways but not in these areas… means more long walks with trash and therefore noted people tended to leave in sand or by lounge chairs.
*our rooms were at the extreme opposite end of Resort (1800 building) from the Sunset Cove…
* Near the middle of the week they ran out of towels, so rooms were not stocked with any! ..When we asked for them they arrived with ONE! We started taking swim towels to our rooms to shower with and then they ran out of them too… perhaps they need to order more.
*the pools have large Jacuzzis with what looks like jets but they do not work…yet… at least that is what we were told by the staff.
*Pool Bars ran out of the small plastic cups so we were requested to reuse the ones we had already used.
*Main bar ran out of Rum Cream and orange juice
*you had to plan ahead for shuttle ie: by at least 20-30 minutes.
* if you have a complaint the staff tend to agree with everything you say but you know nothing will get done.. no follow up. The staff are in NO HURRY to respond to requests or concerns, not even when you are screaming about a rat in your room.
* evening bar and entertainment was really good except for the few smokers that ruined the air for us who prefer to not receive second hand smoke. Would be nice if they had a non-smoking entertainment area.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Hotels.com, Orbitz, BookIt.com, getaroom.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Palladium Jamaica Hotel Lucea
- Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort And Spa
- Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa Lucea