“R&R at the Grand Palladium” 2 of 5 stars

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   The Point, Lucea, Jamaica   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Ontario
“R&R at the Grand Palladium”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

R&R at the Grand Palladium Jamaica

Ya Mon No Problem! R&R =s Roaches and Rats !!!!
Don’t get me wrong the resort is beautiful. Weather perfect with only a couple afternoons of rain. Food delicious with lots of variety BUT the roaches and rats do exist. Roaches were not healthy (obviously they try to control by spraying) but the rat that leapt out of my closet over my shoulder was definitely lively and healthy. Front desk offered to switch our room but could not guarantee the problem would not reoccur.

The resort is located near Lucea which is about 50 minutes from the airport. Our check in was quick and efficient and then we were shuttled to our room.

Pros of the resort
*Staff speak English, we really liked this. We have traveled to Dominican Republic, Mexico, Costa Rica and the language barrier was fun but speaking English was a bonus.
*Rooms are beautiful and roomy
*fridge was well stocked daily
*THEY USE BOOZE IN THE DRINKS we really could feel the effects, unlike at other resorts where you could drink and drink and knew the booze was watered down.
*thankfully no smoking allowed in restaurants.
*large resort so shuttle bus service was necessary…(but infrequent)
* We managed to get into most of the specialty restaurants and were very pleased, especially the Italian & Indian restaurants. However, food does tend to arrive warm except at the buffet restaurants. Restaurants were all very good except Bubbas (steak house) and that disaster was due to a VERY SLOW waiter.
* evening bar and entertainment upstairs was really good :loved the steel band and Jamaican singing. Air was unfortunately polluted with cigarette smoke.
*theatre was fun. Staff try very hard to keep us entertained. The theatre was the best set up we have seen at any resort. All seats were good seats to see from (smokers again ruin it for us)
*beautiful pools, huge and spotless!
*Sunset Cove is a paradise retreat but far from bathrooms, food and bar.
*beach water at Sunset Cove was lovely and warm.
*Paddle Boats at Sunset cove were a great way to spend time relaxing on the water.
*water was calm and clear at sunset cove, great for snorkeling
* they need more staff with the great personality of Damion Campbell. He worked in the Negril Buffet Restaurant. Simply a delight upbeat guy and responded quickly with requests for coffee/drinks... Great guy!!
*Covered walk ways are a nice touch to walk out of rain or from hot sun.
*shopping trip to Negril and Ricks Café was well work the trip ($15 US per person).

Cons of the resort and suggestions they could/should do.
*rooms had roaches and ours had a rat. Rat ran under bathroom vanity and into a large hole under the tub. The resort should seriously cover these holes with metal grills rats can't chew through.
*fridge not very cold, staff said that’s the way it is.
*resort is isolated which makes trips off the resort difficult: 1-3 hour travel time.
*smokers
*Need more non smoking areas at bars ectera, the resort needs to have more non-smoking areas for our evening entertainment enjoyment
*beaches are rocky so need the water shoes.
*pools tended to be cold
*This resort has a brain block when it comes to large groups that travel together. We are a group of 12 and have traveled together for many years to many resorts and have never had an issue getting a table of twelve put together. This place tended to put us at tables of two-sixes or three-fours. This usually meant different waiters serving at different speeds. Not to mention the specialty restaurants do not take reservations so they would try to make us wait until several large existing tables were emptied instead of putting together new ones… which meant people of twos and fours jumped in ahead of us while we waited for the larger tables to finish eating. Charenne the Hostess at Bubbas was the worst for not keeping her promises of ten minutes ! Most annoying.
* Asian restaurant was not tasty but perhaps that is a food preference on our part.
*The main buffet restaurant (Negril) could have more toasters, line gets quite long.
*Toilet seats were wobbly all over the resort. Perhaps they were cheaply installed.
*After a heavy rain there is a septic smell about the resort.
*perhaps they could have waiters circle about for drinks at pools and beaches
*Sunset Cove needs another set of steps leading to the quiet Cove… there is a well tracked path down a hill that people were making…so resort should take the hint.
*would be nice if they added Nachos/popcorn at the pool areas near Relax pool and Activity Centre as it’s a long walk for snacks.
*large resort so long walks as shuttles are not frequent.
*need more garbage’s at pool areas and on beaches. Lots along walk ways but not in these areas… means more long walks with trash and therefore noted people tended to leave in sand or by lounge chairs.
*our rooms were at the extreme opposite end of Resort (1800 building) from the Sunset Cove…
* Near the middle of the week they ran out of towels, so rooms were not stocked with any! ..When we asked for them they arrived with ONE! We started taking swim towels to our rooms to shower with and then they ran out of them too… perhaps they need to order more.
*the pools have large Jacuzzis with what looks like jets but they do not work…yet… at least that is what we were told by the staff.
*Pool Bars ran out of the small plastic cups so we were requested to reuse the ones we had already used.
*Main bar ran out of Rum Cream and orange juice
*you had to plan ahead for shuttle ie: by at least 20-30 minutes.
* if you have a complaint the staff tend to agree with everything you say but you know nothing will get done.. no follow up. The staff are in NO HURRY to respond to requests or concerns, not even when you are screaming about a rat in your room.
* evening bar and entertainment was really good except for the few smokers that ruined the air for us who prefer to not receive second hand smoke. Would be nice if they had a non-smoking entertainment area.

• Liked — The variety of food.
  • Disliked — a rat in our room
  • Stayed January 2009
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (991)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
springfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

I loved my stay @ Grand Palladium Jamaica and wish I could go back. The resort is located in Lucea which is about 45 minutes from the airport. Our check in was about 10 minutes and then we were shuttled to our room. The room is beautiful!! I was surprised and delighted to have a large room with marble floor throughout and a balcony with ocean view. (This was the standard room) The air conditioning was not as cold as I would have liked it but it did work fine. The a la carte restaurants were very good. I did not care for the italian but it could have been the 1 item on the menu that I selected. The buffets were good. The grounds and pool are very nice. I was a little disappointed by the beach. There are a few beach areas and coral beach has a lot of rocks and coral. Sunset cove is the best beach @ the resort. I tried to snorkel a few times and was disappointed. I paid for a snorkel excursion and was disappointed only to see a sting ray and experience very choppy water. Even our guide said that if he was the manager he would have cancelled any water excursions because of the waves. This was a waste of money and I would not suggest it. The next day I swam out to a coral reef and saw a couple of small fish but not much. I am definitely a water person and this was the only negative to the trip which resulted in a 4 star rating. We also went jet skiing 2 times with Rasta Donald and loved it. The first time we paid and went on our own and the 2nd time he brought us out for free. I loved the fruity rum drinks and barternders, especially Andre in the club who would always set the bar on fire for us. Pink the pop artist was there during the last 2 days of our stay. She was with a group of about 10 people and dined and enjoyed the entertainment liked everyone else staying there. The entertainment shows were good. I loved the steel drum band, live reggae band, and dance show. The entertainment workers are great at what they do. They are there to keep everyone entertained and are also great dancers (Happy Feet and Energizer). Leroy @ the swim up bar serves good mixed drinks and will have everyone chanting the pool bar song. We also booked the Negril tour for $15 through the onsite tour company and loved it. Negril is about 30 minutes away. First we went to a few gift shops to barter and purchase souvenirs. Later we went to Ricks cafe to have a drink and watch the sunset. Ricks is very expensive compared to other places but you are on vacation. After a drink, I jumped off of the small cliff and it was fun. If you are going to jump just make sure that you dive straight and not at an angle. We watched people get injured and heard a story that someone earlier had an injured sternum from the force of the water. The excursion was good. The resort did have a shuttle to Margaritaville in Montego Bay one night that we joined. There were about 40 people there that were mostly tourists from other resorts (would not recommend). I would like to go to Negril on my next vacation only because I want to experience a Jamaican resort with a great beach and snorkeling but I would defintely return to this resort again.

• Liked — Beautiful resort
  • Disliked — Rocky Beach
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2009

We just got back from a week at the Grand Palladium/Jamaica.
We chose this location because my girlfriends co-worker was there 2 months after they opened,and were pleased with their stay.
I couldn't believe that after only 6 months opened the premises were falling apart at the seams.I came to find out the Fiesta group brought in outside labor to build the resort instead of hiring local labor.They built the resort in 2 years when the projected build time was 5 years.
The resort was overbooked at the time of our arrival,and it seemed that the rooms were handed out on first come first serve basis.It took us approx 4 hours to finally get a room.
This room had no view,it was of the rear of the spa area an a couple of rocks.It was also not cleaned properly either.There was blood on the walls in two different areas,it took two days to finally get it cleaned.
After 4 days we finally got a nicer room,but had to pay an upgrade for this bay view one bedroom suite. (Charged us 56 for two of our remaining threee nights.)
There is several different theme restaurants on premise,but the quality is terrible.The steak in the steak house is like eating the bottom of your old shoe.We figured out after two nights and two bad tasting experiences that we would stick with the buffets for the remainder of stay.At least there we could find something edible to eat.At least we didn't waste our time trying to get served poor food for a two hour wait.
The bars were not stocked with top shelf liquors either.
Besides not being cleaned properly the rooms have alot of other issues because of poor workmanship, alot of water back-ups,things falling apart. The patio block walkways are the worst,more than half is under need of repair already. It will probably take a nice size crew another 2-3 years to repair all the faulty workmanship on this property.
Two days before our stay was over they insituted a new towel policy because they were running out of towels.This place has way too many kinks to work out,and the beaches were horrible.I guess that side of the island was not a good place to build a resort.
If I ever went back to Jamaica I would head back towards Negril or Ocho Rios.

• Liked — The resort was new
  • Disliked — It was falling apart,poor food,poor beaches
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Caledonia, Ont.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2009

Yes the beds were hard but I felt quite comfortable and my back has felt better ever since..HA The food was great, the service could have been better but go back in a year and I sure it will be. Some of the servers seemed a little grouchy but spoil them with cheer and they would usually smile. The beaches were okay, sailing in the bay was difficult, the wind seems to gust from all directions, sending your cat. toppling if your not carefull...HA
We were married while there, the ceremony was perfect. We all loved it. The wedding co-ordinator was great, the photographers were also. The minister really made everything perfect, with his Jamaican personality, it really added some spice. The wedding really made for great memories. We were married on the beach. There is also a small gazebo you can be wed in.
The pool was wonderfull although a bit cool. The rooms were very nice, they don't have that Caribbean mold odour yet. The maid services were great, and with a small tip our fridge was kept well stocked.
The stroll from the room to the restaurants was not long, was just a comfortable way to let all that great food settle.
READ THIS.....DO NOT take the bus trip to Margarittaville in Montego Bay. That city is, well, kinda nerve racking at night. You are driven there by the Palladium employees, they drive like maniacs, you spend more time with your face planted into the seat forward you then you do looking out the window. Then some of the employees, who are supposed to be looking out for you in our case were drinking. One of the employees was more interested in rubbing up against any tourist women he could then doing his job. At the end of the night the other buses left , leaving ours to be swarmed by drug dealers trying to get into the bus and trying to open your windows while the persons who are looking out for our well being while you we were guests in their country were out there somewhere getting some damb jerk chicken which you could get anytime back at the resort. One of the young women on our bus was followed into the bathroom by two Jamaican men, she had to run in and lock the door. And that was as I was told the good part of town. Take a trip to the Margarittaville in Negril, its really nice and that town is much less stressfull.
BUT, we really liked the resort, I will go again maybe for our tenth anniversary.
I recomend getting married there, I have to say this again. They treated us like royalty. The acted as though our day was just as special to them as it was to us. I can't say enough about this service. The only negative thing I could say if I had to was that the poor minister's car broke down twice, he didn't make it until much later but they had a back up preacher that they sent for. Things were a little behind schedule but we hardly noticed. I'm glad it happend that way because I loved the minister that performed our wedding. They made our day great!

• Liked — The food was great
  • Disliked — Nothing really!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2009

The number one thing I would tell someone about the Palladium is that if your vacation is more than 5/6 days, don't stay there. We were there 8 days, and the small things that didn't bother us the first few days really began to drive us crazy by day 5. For example, no towles at the pools, out of ice, out of limes, out of bananas, the HARD beds, the slow pace of staff, the hike to and from your villa, ect! It really is a beautiful resort, with an amazing pool. You have many places to choose from for dinner, and it's nice that reservations are not needed. Everyone we met had different opinions of which restaurants were the best. My advice- don't listen, just try them out. If you don't like it, and are still hungry go somewhere else.

We did the Negril shopping trip, and for only 30$ I would totally recommend it. Plus, it gives you a chance to see some of Jamaica outside the resort.

The staff is very friendly- except the morning brunch people.

• Disliked — The beds!
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2009

If you are looking for a relaxing time at a beautiul resort in a sunny destination with wonderful staff and a great value for your money, look no further.

Grand Palladium Jamaica and Lady Hamilton are two new resorts and are both wonderful places to stay in Jamaica. Lady Hamilton side charges about $50 more per person to stay because of being a bit closer to amenities and that is all the difference. There are shuttles that will take you anywhere you want to go within the resort and in my opinion the difference is not worth it.

My wife and I travel extensively and we have been to several 5 star all-inclusive resorts. This is among the good ones. There are a few small glitches because they are brand new and the staff are not all trained well yet but remember you are on vacation and not on a mission to work as a travel critic.

The beach is not great but you can go to the " Six mile Beach" which has six miles of white sandy beach not very far from the resort. You can take a tour or a taxi to get there. However, the main pool is huge and absoloutly beautiful and flawless. The food is great. If you are travelling with small children or a baby, there is absoloutly no problem. They have a day care that is free for children of 4 years or older with lots of activities during the day and at night. For younger than 4 year old, you have to pay $10 per hour for baby sitting.

There are 10 restaurnats that you can eat in.Food is good for an all-inclusive resort. No reservation needed to eat at the Steak house, Mexican, Indian, Italian and Japenese restaurnats. It takes about 2 to 3 hours though to come out of any of these restaurants. I found the kitchens a bit slow to give food to the waiters. I recommend to have 50 US$1 bill for tipping for a one week of stay.

Once again, go there and enjoy the opening low prices.

• Liked — The main Pool
  • Disliked — The Beach
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Newyork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

My husband and I arrived on January 10 the day of my birthday around 5:30 pm and was immediately taken care of. We had a one bedroom suite however it was upgraded to a ocean view since it was my birthday. The room was nice and the view outside was outstanding. The bed was extremely hard and it took several days for me to sleep comfortable. The staff was wonderful and catered to our needs. Food was in abundance and you had a variety of choices of what you wanted. Overall, my husband and I had a great time and would return again.

• Liked — The envirnoment
  • Disliked — The bed
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!