“Good but not great....” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Lucea
South Carolina
“Good but not great....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2008

First of all, the Grand Palladium is on of the most beautiful hotels I've stayed in. It has a lovely open environment with marble tile everywhere, and fantastic views of the ocean. The rooms are very spacious, and the food is very good for this type of resort. They have great drinks, the pool is one of the best I've seen, and some of the employees are extremely nice.

Now the bad parts....We had to call the front desk 4 times to have them stock our refrigerator. The refrigerator was not plugged up so the drinks were hot for the first 24 hours. Our A/C did not cool the room very well, and the bed was extremely uncomfortable. The Electricity to the resort went out on multiple occasions. They also give you beer that requires a bottle opener to open, however, they provide no bottle openers.

The service overall was not impressive. The bar staff was great, however, the restaraunt staff all appear to be bothered by your presence, and you have to ask multiple times for items such as: coffee, a coke, a beer, etc....Even though they don't provide excellent service, they expect an excellent tip...The only other issue was the security on site. One guard actually offered to sell me and my wife drugs....However, it feels very safe around there other than that.

I would probably go again, because it is a great value, but it would not be my first choice by any means. I prefer to go to Mexico or one of the other islands where the locals treat you as a guest not an intruder.

• Liked — Overall Appearance, Food, Drinks
  • Disliked — Poor Customer Service skills
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

3,515 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (920)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Staunton, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2008

Helpful hints!

1)Bring your own bottle opener, they don’t have one to open you beer in the room

2)DON’T use the credit card phone in the room. It cost $25 for the first 5 mins. Better off to use the hotel phone for $2.50 a minute. Better yet, check you cell phone plans before you leave.

3)Bring at least 10 one dollar bills for every day you stay. No way to get change here, and tips are worth it.

4)ATM machine doesn’t work on the resort

5)The credit card machines didn’t work for 5 of the 7 days we stayed in the resort either

6)If you want to do some serious seashell hunting bring some kind of foot protection. The beach in front of the main pool is very rocky and sharp, but lots of sea shells can be found.
Dont worry about the beach being rocky as they have 3 and the one on the west side of the resort is very nice.

7)Bring your own insulated cup if you’re a beer drinker. They understandably give you plastic ones on the beach and pool areas and if you want to drink more than 6 oz before getting another bring your favorite cup.

8) Buy the transportation to the resort before you come, I hear it is very expensive as this resort is 45 mins from the airport.

9) If you want to buy souveniers, go on a shopping tour. Pick a rainy day to do this, they souveniers were almost 50% than in the resort

This resort was awesome for the money, we had great food service and the food was ok

Don’t go to this resort if you expect 3 or 4 star service in the rooms. This is what we experienced. We had a SERIOUS water leak from the shower above. We spent 4-5 hours of our vacation trying to get them to fix it to no avail or even a move to another room even after complaints to the management. We reported it the first day, and they sent a repair person to LOOK at it. He did nothing to fix it. We complained to the desk and they said they would have someone call us the next day to see if it was fixed. NO FOLLOWUP at all. We went to main desk AGAIN. They said go to your room and we will have someone to check it out with you in 20 minutes. 2 hours later no one came.

Don’t expect any hand towels or wash cloths. The maids told us they were doing inventory. They should of at least left us our old ones, but they took them too. The next day was the same thing.

We always felt that we got the run around on any problem we had with the room and by the 3rd day we just lived with the leaking shower and the water running down our walls.

The resort itself is beautiful. The people are nice. There was no Poolside service, which I thought you got at resorts like this but there were bars that weren’t far away.

Remember the Jaimaican people will go out of their way and tips are appreciated. Thier average wage in a resort is $80 a week and their price are about the same as they are here.

• Liked — Beautiful Resort
  • Disliked — NO FOLLOWUP and NO management that would actually do something about your problem
NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2008

We had a FANTASTIC time at the Palladium. We met the some of the best people ever, you know who you are :) I can't say enough great things about this place. This is a fairly new resort, while, they have a few things to work on, there's nothing bad, only nit picky stuff. For a new place in Jamaica, I feel that they were far ahead of the game, with minimal problems. The people that work there are extraordinary, they'll do anything to make you happy. The place is huge and beautiful. We can't wait to try out the Palladium in Mexico. Thanks so much to everyone on this board, I was well informed before going which made it all the easier to relax and take it all in while we were there. The pool beats any I've been in... Don't miss the wall... it's the greatest experience!!!

All I can say is... Just go and you'll know!!!!

• Liked — The People and to Pool
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Miami,FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2008

I stayed at the GPJ with my husband and 2 year old son on Nov. 11- 18th. We had a great time despite a few problems. I recommend a late morning/early afternoon arrival if you do not want to get stuck in traffic which can add an additional 30 to 45 min to the drive. We checked-in after 7pm which was a breeze. Requested an oceanview room and got it. E-mail them in advance. We were in Villa 16, room 1609 on the first floor which is on the far east of the property. We actually enjoyed the walk to the main buliding even with a 2 yo. A down-side is there is no room service. If you are travelling with children, bring along some of their favorite snacks. If you are located a distance from the sports bar, getting food for them after hours will be a mission. May want to request a villa near the main buildings.
The room was nice but if you have a keen eye, you will notice the construction is not the best and some of the work looked unfinished. You will notice this around the entire facility. The driveway to Lady Ham was being redone-already. The bathroom is nice and big. We used the jacuzzi twice but had to clean it first. The shower head holder needs to be adjusted down or water will leak from under the door and soak the floor. The junior suites do not have drawer space only shelves in closet. If you are like me and like to completely unpack rather than living out of a suitcase, get a 1-br which I assume has a dresser drawer. Based on other reviews, I would say maidservice is hit or miss. Our maid was mediocore to poor despite leaving tips and notes. Not a major problem though. Ran out of washcloths for 2 days,called guest relations, got an apology and a nice fruit plate. Thanks.
The food is good. some days I liked what they had others I did not. We ate mostly in the buffets because of our 2 yo. I liked that they had a mix of jmaican food for all meal service. The service was also good for the most part, thanks to Conrad, Kemar, Shanieka, Trisell(??), Kevon and others. Some servers were a bit miserable. We tipped at all seatings. I did notice that some food was carried over from the night or day before or reinvented into another dish but nothing to terrible.
The pool was nice and big as you all may have seen. I was looking for loose tiles but did not notice a major problem. My husband did say he felt a loose one underneath his feet. Lots of lounge chairs eveywhere. Because of other reviews, did not visit any of the beaches except Sunset Cove. spent the day there swimming, paddle boating, and relaxing. Had lunch and snacks at the cafe. Perfect day. My son had a great time- ooh-ing and aw-ing at the sites.
The nightly entertainment was okay. Our son loved the dancing and flashing lights. We had a great time during the week. If you are going there looking for faults, there are many. If you are looking for a great time, you will find that too. If you plan to visit GPJ, do so before the it gets too busy and loses it's newness. The facility is not even complete and repair are being made all over and there are places in need of.
If you plan to call the US, hope you have an int'l plan on your cell or be preprared to pay a pretty penny. If you are not interested in seeing day to day life in JA, there is not much in Lucea except a great view of GP.
Although we had a great time, I would not return b/c I like to try new places and GPJ was not spectacular enough for a second trip. Yet, I would recommend it to others.

• Liked — Variety of things to do, lay-out of facility
  • Disliked — Cost to make phone call
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2008

My friend and I stayed at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton section Nov 8-15, 2008. We chose the property because of two reasons: the price of $CAN1030 for a week at the Lady Hamilton section with some upgrades and because we previously liked Grand Palladium in Mayan Riviera in Mexico.
Here’s my overview of our stay.
First thing’s first – if swimming in the Caribbean sea is your priority, this place is not for you. I don’t think I saw any reviews on this site commenting on the beach ‘situation’ on the property (according to the locals, there are no ‘problems’ in Jamaica, only ‘situations’). I personally thought both beaches in the resort were the worst I have seen so far on three different continents. The much mentioned Sunset Cove beach (located in a lagoon and hence prone to debris accumulation), was phenomenally dirty most of the time with both the debris from the recent tropical rains as well as human generated trash. I stopped trying to swim there after I saw something extra unpleasant in the water and realized the whole thing felt like floating in a dirty puddle.

The other beach which runs along the Hamilton side of the resort had no garbage ‘situation’, but the bottom was uneven and rocky so we were constantly worried about hurting our knees and toes against the corals (it’s very shallow too, unless you get really far into the sea which we did not feel safe to do considering the life guards were non-existent)

Buffet Food: is not as big of a deal for me, the morning and lunch buffets were ok, but I did notice that the coffee was consistently bad and cold (unlike all inclusives in Mexico and Riu in Jamaica) and the seafood selection was not comparing favorably to the other Mexican and Jamaican all inclusives we've been to.

The restaurants arrangement was pretty weird and I would say inconvenient. They don’t have reservations, which in theory is supposed to be pretty liberating, however, in reality it was an inconvenience as it meant long waiting lists and lost time. Also, the Air Transat reps didn’t mention in the briefing that we should be checking every morning which restaurants are open that day, so we had a ‘situation’ when we planned to have a second dinner at the Italian, and despite the staff telling us the day before that they will be open the next day, we came to find them having a ‘private function’ that evening and not available to the resort guests. We actually found out about the restaurant schedule on the last day just because we went to complain to the Guest Relations desk. So the idea is to check every morning the schedule at the Guest Relations desk. Another issue with the restaurants is if we came after 7pm, we’d end up having to choose between long wait or going to the buffet. Try to call in advance (the Italian does not have a phone) and say you were coming in ½ hour and give them the room # to be placed on the waiting list. For the steak house and the Italian (the two most popular ones), i recommend going early - not later then 6:45 - 7pm. Since November is a low season, and the resort had only 900 guests despite having 1200 rooms (very underoccupied), I can only imagine what mess they are going to have during the holidays. We tried the steak house, the Italian, the Asian and Mexican and as usual these all-inclusive restaurants don’t nearly compare to the ones back home, but we found the Italian to be the best of them. The Asian had nice appetizers and a reasonable sushi selection. I personally felt the Mexican and the steak house were so so. Most restaurants have salad bars in them.

Property: very well appointed, nice rooms, Jacuzzi in each room (which they call suites although they are just rooms with the sitting area). I heard that if you email in advance, you can be upgraded to the real suite, but not sure about that.
Our only negative experiences were the bed linens smelling strongly of mold and being of substandard quality.

Alcohol: the staff is not skimpy on alcohol which was nice to see although this was not our priority. We liked rum cream on the rocks or blended with ice and some milk (not as sweet).

Internet: if your laptop can fit in a safe or if you are willing to risk leaving it in the room, you can consider bringing it along since the Jamaica Side Lobby has free cable and sometimes wireless internet access. I was told it was pretty slow though. Although all rooms are supposed to be wired, they are not, so the only working free internet can be found in that lobby. Otherwise, its’ $7 for 15 min in the Internet café. We did not bring our laptops, so for a quick email check, I asked the Guest Relations to let me use one of their computers in the offices, and they did.

Entertainment: they had an ok show every day to keep you busy and a few good Raggie bands alternating in the Infinity bar after 10pm almost each night.

Dunn’s Falls: you lose the whole day 8:30 – 6:30 (2.5 hours driving each way and 3 shopping stops 30-45 min each not that anyone on the bus asked for so much shopping) and get 45 minutes to enjoy the Falls. Despite the Falls being quite an experience, I felt it wasn’t efficient use of our vacation time. Dunn’s Falls are much closer to the Negril and Ocho Rios area rather then Montego Bay and unless you are absolutely bored on the property, it may be a good idea to take this trip another time if you vacation in those two areas. Also, if you do venture out, make sure you buy waterproof camera (the yellow one-time use camera that could be found in Wal- Mart and drug stores). If you actually take the The Falls trail (not the dry route), it’s a high – difficulty trail since yo uare jumping from rock to rock in the strong current and it’s pretty slippery most of the time. Sometimes it was hard to maintain balance so how the current was, so people are encouraged to hold hands which is somewhat helpful. The guides are splashing cold water (for fun), so we just kept telling them to stop as it startled people. I don’t think this trail is suitable for unfit people as there is lots of climbing and balancing involved (but there is always that dry route)

• Stayed November 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

the hotel is great ! food was good..price was excellent ! the people are so sweet...the room was a problem...the ac did not work ! the fan was turned on winter mode and i didnt figure that out till the last day...the fridge was warm...had to move 3 times...shower leeked...toilet ran all night....contracter nightmare...the pool and bars and music was fabulous !! got alot of kinks to work out in the rooms....
had a great time other than the room probs...great deal for this resort on bookit.com

cheers

• Liked — the people
  • Disliked — rooms have major problems
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
Miami, Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

I stayed in the Grand Palladium from Nov. 2 - Nov. 6 with my boyfriend. We absolutely LOVED it. The hotel is beautiful. The room was spacious and very clean. It had a huge tub and a shower as well. When we got to our room the AC was broken but was fixed in a matter of 10 minutes. The service was the best. The only complain I have is that there was not enought Jamaican Music. I expected to get there and hear Jamaican music my whole stay being that music is such a big part of the Jamaican culture. When I asked an employee he said it's because the hotel is a spanish hotel but I feel if they are in Jamaica I wanted to hear reggae while tanning at the pool instead of salsa. The food was AMAZING!! Lots of variety. We really didn't enjoy the lunch because there was so much for breakfast we were full til dinner. All the restaurants were GREAT. My favorite though was the Indian. If you like rum there is all kinds of it but if you're like my boyfriend and I that like Whiskey there was only 1 and that was Jack Daniels and was only available in one bar upstairs which is the "Premium" bar but the only difference between that bar and all the others is they had the Jack Daniels, Red Stripe and Heineken. Over all the good overdid the bad by far. We would def. go back. We did not leave the hotel being there was always something to do. The staff was great. Take small bills though because there is no change anywhere and tipping is appreciated being that they go out of their way to make your stay pleasurable. I recommend this hotel 100%!!!!

• Liked — The food
  • Disliked — No Jamaican Music
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!