“Great Hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Saint Louis Park, Minnesota
“Great Hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We just got back from the Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. On our way there we were a bit skeptic but arriving there we realized the resort was indeed very big. Even though its big check in was very easy. the rooms are nice and spacious. The food isnt the best but for such a big resort the varieties are nice. The beach and pool scenery is nice and whilst there we met this one really good bartender who was very very friendly. I have to say I indeed enjoyed this vacation, this company, "Island Transfer & Tours" made it possible I highly recommend them they did our transfer to the hotel and drove us around Negril. They showed us how great the island was, we will be back!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your recent vacation here at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one in which you were satisfied and enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer to our valued guests.

We welcome you to visit in the near future for another memorable vacation, nothing short of Grand.

Best Wishes.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,165)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We arrived on a Sunday (BIG mistake.) The customs/immigration lines were out the door (2 hours in customs...seriously.) There is no water to drink, the room is not cooled by any means (nor is the airport apparently), and the whole place stinks of sweat and anxiety.

After the grueling process of getting through customs, we took a beautiful trip on the bus to our hotel. It was about a 45 min haul, but worth it since the scenery is magnificent.

Arrival at the hotel created more travel anxiety, as it was about a 2 hour wait to get checked in. The drinks were nice, but I seriously just wanted to sit down at this point. We tried to get a room with a view...but sadly the girl behind the counter wanted a large tip for that to happen. (She told us that it wasn't a problem, looked at the $20 USD I grabbed out and changed her mind....) Sorry, I'm not tipping you crazy amounts to do your job.

We found our way to our room (ALLLLLL the way to the back of the resort.) Rooms were extremely nice. (Not great, but nice.) Our one complaint is that the mini bar have more than 2 drinks in it. We had to ask the maids for more, so we could keep it stocked. The bathroom was great. (Spa like tub, VERY nice to soak in.) We did see a roach, but that's expected. (Seriously, if you think that it doesn't happen in a place where the sea level is out your door, and with plumbing like that...you're crazy.) One quick swipe with a tissue and a flush and it was gone.

The food was great. (We REALLY wanted to eat at Poseidon, but it was closed every night for weddings.) Seriously? I go to an island paradise and I can't even eat seafood?! Not a big deal, but sad none the less. We ate at the Indian restaurant, and the Asian. Both were a HUGE hit, and compliments to the servers for their attentiveness and service.

The pools were fantastic. (We went to the small pool, it's a hidden gem.) We spent most of our time at that pool. The ocean was wonderful, and the beach was great. (The sand is very corally, so it's not as fine a grain as some other beaches, BUT that also meant that there were a lot of really cute crabs and such running around.)

Mostly it was a 3.5+ resort. The check in/check out was brutal (but according to most reviewers, that is the case.) The food was great, and there were a lot of options in that venue. (Resort food is NOT 5 star food, but it's filling, tastes good, and offers great service.) And the water was amazing. (Come on, that's REALLY why you go to an island anyway...)

Room Tip: Do NOT arrive on a Sunday. The check in was about 2 hours. Also, stay in the rooms furthest away.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Greetings Jessica M!

Thank you for taking the time to share your review based off your recent stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that you have enjoyed your vacation and all that our Resort has to offer. We are grateful for your positive comments about the accommodations, the delicious meals and the competent service received from our staff.

We look forward to your visit in the near future as it was our pleasure hosting you on this visit. Until then, best wishes.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Ok so here goes I am a totally fussy customer and I belive on writing the truth I will not stay in less than a five star hotel (some may say snobby) the only negative thing I have to say about the resort is that the rooms are a little far from the reception and the hotel gift shop is a lil pricey wait untill the craft markets comeinto the hotel on a friday that is all!!!!
What the hell is everyone complaining about the staff are friendly so they work 14 hours a day and appericate a little tip don't b so bloody tight about it they do everything they can to make your stay amazing and enjoyable what are you seriously gonna complain about a crack on the sunbeds or the wall who cares enjoy it your on holiday!!!!!! Entertainment team something for everyone good for couple groups and family's kids club day dance activities drinking games 3 beaches 5 pools what more do you want trips by your advisers mine was anthony amazing guy thesecan be organised i recommend cool runnings if traceys your tour guide your defo if for a treat (mi come from kingston) and Dunns river and ricks cafe amazing holiday!!! Ok so food 3 buffets 7 specialty resturants all fantastic steakhouse n fish are the busiest yes as they are the nicest but get there early or sit and have a drink if you gotta wait what's your rush you ain't gotta pay for drinks where you gotta go your on holiday!! you are told on arrival its first come first serve basis so why moan about not being able to book if your that bothered get there early. ok it may b a little hot and guys should be able to wear long shorts in the indoor restaurants but. it's fine in the open air restaurants night entertainment a different show every night at 9.30 in the theatre which is always great there's a sports bar a club and they hold a lil party in the infinity bar every night where the team interacts with guest and get you to shake what your muma gave yah!!! Parties are held there on sat night There's a bar with premium drinks miss lou bar baileys contrieu Smirnoff couvsoier Malibu martini chivas jackdaniels jim bean and more a casino beach parties every other week pool party once a month which is amazing rooms are kept well and clean and you can request for an open bathroom n enjoy a hot in you room fridge stocked daily the spa great but over pricey reception helpful and friendly if your boring and dont like party's or dancehall reggae or any Jamaican music don't go Jamaica simple beaches out of this world subset cove is where the jerk hut is and its the best ive ever tasted ever. or there's two beaches by the pool they are breathtaking too overall my experience in Jamaica grand palladium was great and I will be back yah mon!!! me and my boyfriend had the best holiday yet we are going to come back with a group next time get me back to jamrock monnnn!!!!

• Stayed June 2013
Greetings Alixbabye!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your stay here at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one and that you enjoyed all that our property has to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end. Until your next stay, best wishes from our Palladium Family.
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I just returned from attending a wedding at the Grand Palladium in Jamaica.
I would not recommend that anyone arrange to have a wedding at this resort because they are not professional in their planning. The attitude of the staff was terrible and non professional. The food at the resort was like mass produced cafeteria style and most of it was not very tasty. In summary, I would never go back there and I would not recommend it to anyone. The beach was also very rocky and bad. The pool seems to be the main attraction for swimming. DON'T GO TO THE PALLADIUM!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Greetings Zola!

Let me start by extending best wishes to your friends/relatives on their wedding. My sincerest apologies if you did not consider that our staff handled the wedding arrangements professionally. I assure you that at management level, we try to be aware of those situations and find a solution.

With regards to the attitude of our staff, I can assure you that our staff is continuously trained to follow and portray high standard services. We regret to hear that in this case you felt a bad attitude from them. Just let me add that our staffs in general are continuously commended on their work by many customers as shown in our feedback forms.

We appreciated your comments regarding the quality of the food I ensure you that they have been addressed to the corresponding department. We are also extremely sorry to learn of your disappointing experience with our beach. However, we do have three of the best local beaches at our resort. Our Sunset Cove Beach, is first choice by most of our visitors. Similarly, our Coral Beach is a natural sanctuary with live coral areas for incredible scuba or snorkeling. Our Las Brisas beach is also wonderful and facilitates daily activities to keep our guests entertained. We are proud to inform you that we are one of the few Hotels who have earned the Blue Flag certification which speaks directly of our natural, clean and healthy beaches.

In closing we appreciate your kind comments about our majestic main pool. We look forward to having you again and trust that we will be afforded with the opportunity to not only meet but exceed your expectations.

Best regards
Tatamy, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Generally acceptable stay, but I agree with a lot of the other reviewers on the points to know before you go:

Arrival/Departure:
Despite getting rum punch when you walk up, this was not the smoothest process. Extremely disorganized with long wait times. Spent at least 30 minutes waiting to talk to someone anytime we went to the front desk. Also, we generally found the desk staff to be rude or disinterested. This is a major failing of the hotel, but more on service below.

Accommodations:
The room was acceptable. It was a little musty and moldy and we had a few cracks and broken pieces of the wall in the bathroom, but it was clean enough to sleep comfortably.
The bed was extremely hard and the pillows were pretty much awful so we ended up spending some extra money to get better pillows from the hotel. We tried for two nights to get through to the front desk to get them and the phone was busy for at least 10 attempts. Finally got through and it took 4 hours until the pillows arrived, but we were out anyway so not a big deal.

Beach and Pool:
Both were good. Best time that we had was at sunset cove. Less crowded, has sand beach and kayaks, etc. were almost always free so it was pretty good. Pool is big and nice, but can be less than relaxing depending on the crowd. Also curious as to the large # of people who sit at the swim up bar all day and never seem to have to leave to use the toilet... ;)

Bars and Restaurants:
This is my biggest complaint. We were informed initially that we could get reservations for the sit down restaurants, but when we arrived we were told that was not the case. We spent >1h most nights trying to get seated at any restaurant, and forget about the seafood or steak place unless you want to eat at 5:30. This process definitely needs better organization. Waited in line just to put our name in to wait for a table. Most nights waiting to put your name in was longer than waiting to seat because the host tables are shared with multiple restaurants and the host seems to have to take names, seat tables, and clear and reset new tables so they disappear for 10-20 minutes at a time. What was most infuriating about the whole process though is that some guests are able to make reservations. I was told this was for VIPs and those in bungalows, but that is ridiculous to me. We watched people wait for 2 hours one night while other 'VIPs' came up and were seated immediately. Also, saw several cases where someone 'tipped' the host $20 or more USD and were seated almost immediately - so good to know I guess.

The food was just bland most of the time. Certainly not terrible, but just average. Don't expect to be eating 5* meals at any of the restaurants.

Service:
If I had a #1 complaint this would probably be it (although almost tied by the restaurant issues above). There was a huge variability in the staff. Some we found extremely friendly and made our time enjoyable. They were talkative, helpful and overall what you should expect from a resort. However, probably half of the staff we dealt with were completely the opposite. Rude, non-responsive, disinterested, and seemed genuinely unhappy to be there. Worst we encountered were at the front desk, the concierge, and the hosts. Wait staff seemed okay most of the time. Bartenders were okay, but not overly happy or responsive at the pool bars.

The reason this is my #1 issue though is TIPPING. I have no problem tipping at an inclusive if I get a mixed drink or go to a sit down restaurant, but it should be my prerogative. Instead it is an expectation of the staff here and they make it apparent. There were times when I popped out of the pool for a minute and just wanted a water and if I asked for a refill they would fill up my glass and then hold their hand out waiting for cash. To me that is completely unacceptable. Same was apparent throughout. At each bar, restaurant, etc. tipping was an expectation and even when I tipped big it did not help get any better service. I ordered two mixed drinks in the sports bar and gave the guy a $5 tip. I went back about 10 minutes later and just asked for a refill of diet coke in my reusable cup to take out to the pool and the bartender held out his hand and when I didn't get my wallet out he actually asked me for a tip and scoffed at me?!

General Cleanliness:
As said above the room was ok, but not great. However, the restaurants and bars are pretty dirty. This is a relatively new resort, but the furniture looks like it's been through hell and back and there are signs everywhere of neglect. Bars are mostly filthy and if you take a closer look around you see a lot of leaks, holes in walls/ceilings, etc. Lobby and pool area seemed pretty clean though have my doubts about the water ;)

So in the end I spent >$100 in tips, waited for hours on end to get food (which was just kind of blah), $35 in pillows, $20+ in internet, etc. I guess we should say this is a budget resort comparatively so perhaps I was expecting a little too much.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The bad reviews of this place hold true. This resort did not meet my expectation and neither did Jamaica. I would not go back even if my trip was free. To the management of grand palladium you need to regroup and get your resort back on course, read the reviews and try to improve the areas that are being reviewed as negative. For a six year old resort it's beat and neglected. Your front desk needs training on manners. This is the first place that sets the tone and checking in and leaving they were just rude. The lobby should be the focal point of any hotel and I was amazed at the filth on the couches chairs. The tables never clean full of drink rings from cups crooked lampshades and the list goes on. Restaurant windows disgustingly dirty. Wild cats everywhere I mean really! There are people that are allergic. The food that should be kept cold is warm and the food that should be hot is cold. The buffets just couldn't get it right. Lounge chairs moldy and dirty. These are things that are so unsanitary. Hire more employees to tend to the day to day cleaning that makes a resort pristine and pay them more so they don't have to beg for tips! The list can go on and on.
I could not wait to be back home and would not recommend your resort. Atlantis in the Bahamas knows how to do it right!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I have just returned from palladium resort, lucea, Jamaica. It did not meet the standards i had expected. Before i left i read al these reviews and i was a little skeptecal, most of what i read was right.
FIRST: the people are very nice, BUT the service is absoluetly TERRRRRIIIBLEEE please believe me on this, it took at least half an hour just to get one drink. It took 5 hours to get a new room after are room started leaking from the ceiling
SECOND: The food is not good, your best bet is the buffets but even then they aren't that good, DO NOT, go to the a la carte resturants ecept if you want to Italian then your in luck cause that ones amazing.

i have so much more too say but im to tired to write more, PLEEASSEEE CHOOSE A DIFFRENT HOTEL RIGHT AWAY!!! TRUST ME!!! AN HONEST 15 YEAR OLD!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear Jalen,

Thank you for your review. Allow me to respond in the order you outline your issues.

In reference to the service you were afforded; let me profoundly apologize. Your feedback is very helpful to us in evaluating our service and we will certainly be looking into the observations which you have made with a view to taking corrective action. We appreciated your comments regarding the quality of the food and the delay in providing you with your drinks. I assure you that the same have been related to the respective department.

We encourage guests with issues or complaints to make them known to our Guests Relations department, in order for us to immediately address the situation.

As it relates to your room, we make every effort to have them ready as soon as possible. Kindly accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience which you experienced. We would like to assure you that we have taken the corrective measures to minimize the re occurrence.

On the matter of or food, we will include your concerns about this in our briefings in an effort to continuously improve our service and product.

We look forward to hosting you again soon and that we will have the opportunity to not only meet but exceed your expectations!

Kind regards

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!