“Yes, it was Hell!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Bentonville, Arkansas, United States
“Yes, it was Hell!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Just got back last night. Stayed from 6/22 - 6/28 and we could not wait to leave and get home.
We arrived around 4pm, room was ready when we finally got to the desk since the check in process is disorganized and chaotic. When we got to our room, 1318, it was hot and humid so we turned on the air. After a few hours, we realized the AC wasn't going to work good but decided to deal with it. Big mistake, we should have moved to a new room. At least we were close to the center of the resort. The room was moldy, ceiling was falling down in the bathroom, and everytime you took a shower, it flooded. The sheets didn't fit the bed and it the mattress was hard and the 2 inch topper they had on it always moved. I woke up each morning with a backache. I did make friends with the housekeeper and she would provide me with coffee and creamer each morning and helped with the towel issue. Tipping her made sure she helped.

We decided to get something eat but found out that everything was CLOSED until 6pm except for the sports bar. Didn't want to take my 5 yo into a sports bar so we looked around until 6 and went to the buffet. Food was horrible. 3 buffets with all the same food. We had no intention to try the A La Carte's since I wanted to stay in shorts and refused to wear long pants. Ridiculous rule, requiring long pants at a carribean resort, so we had to suffer through the buffet, stomach cramps and nausea each day. Bread and butter became a welcome staple.

The pool bars close at 5 each day, HUH?!?! Yep, if you want a drink after 5 you won't find it at the pool. You can go to the sports bar or the 2nd level above the pool. And the bartenders????, if your female, you may get them to get you a decent drink. No one makes them the same way, but we did finally stay with the Purple Rain which was good. I could tell they hated making it since they had to actually use the blender and I had a bubba cup. Excuse me for being prepared and not wanting to come back to you every 10 mins.

The beaches are disgusting. Trash, cat feces, poorly maintained and rocks galore. Don't even attempt to go to them, not even sunset cove. Not worth it.

We do not want housekeeping in our room, with or without a safe. I asked for towels from the front desk and got nothing. I went to guest services at the front desk and they went and got me towels right then. I told them I need my mini bar stocked as well and they said they would send someone. No one ever showed up. I keep a do not disturb sign on the door so I told them to leave the towels and drinks at the door. They said they would do it for the towels but not for the drinks. They called the next day to see if I got towels and I said yes, but no drinks. I had went and bought my own at the gift shop for $2 each. (Water and Diet Coke). I said I would stay in the room and wait for the drink guy if he came right then. 4 hours later, he shows with 1 bottle of diet coke and 2 waters. Give me a break!!

By day 3, we were begging to go home. We will NEVER go to this resort or will we EVER return to Jamaica. First and last trip was a living hell!! If someone gave me a free trip, I'd sell it as nothing will ever get me back. This place is run down, not kept up and couldn't even compete with a holiday inn express.

GO ELSEWHERE!!!!

Room Tip: Go to another resort.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,004)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Let me start by stating that this is my first hotel review in 16 years,
after spending one wonderful week at Grand Jamaica with my wife and two daughters ( one teenager and one in the early twenties ) we all agree that all the bad reviews are unjustified. Here is our experience there:
We arrived via private transportation around 4 pm and between the welcome cocktail and check in spend about 20 minutes at the main lobby. Arriving here in a shared bus in may cause the check in to be slow, but it takes longer to board or get off and airplane. We visited the lobby few times to check e-mails and the (free) wifi is slow but may be caused by the dozens of people using their devices in the lobby area. While our kids complaining a bit about the slow connection, it was not an inconvenient to my wife or to me, both of us can live checking our inbox every two or three days; for four dollars one can get 1/2 hour of use in one of the computers in the lobby with a much faster spews.
We have never been to the other side of the big pond, but in North America and Latin America all the free wifi offered by hotels of any star range is slow.
Guest can check in at any time, but rooms are available only after 3 pm, early birds are able to use a shower and jump in the pool asap or get a meal or drinks.
We were transported in a large golf cart to our room in building 14, and without requesting any specific accommodation got a room with ocean view.
The room was clean and mini bar stocked, clean towels and bathrobes, toiletry and coffee bags aplenty and restocked every day.
The safe was not working and had to call the main desk, withing 15 minutes a person came to check it and told us it was unable to fix right away, so we went on a exploratory walk in the giant hotel complex to get familiar with it and then to it. When we came back to the room the safe had been repaired.
The bathrooms can use a bit of maintenance, just a frecuent paint touch up will do. The disastrous leaking situation of the showers that cause so many complaints it was easily alleviated by sliding the shower head down the holding pole and using the medium setting
in the valve, The water pressure here is huge and 1/2 open is enough to take a better shower than at home where we are mandated to use water saving shower heads and faucets. don't forget to put a towel on the floor outside the shower door, we always do that at home.
The food and the service at the buffets and thematic restaurants is wonderful, best one for us was Xamaica, we visited twice and the four of us found the food delectable. Waitstaff is very attentive and prompt, and folks, we wait longer to be seated at any restaurant in DC on a weekend night.
The " dressing code" was not a burden at all, it is not a big deal to pack one slack one shirt and shoes, the food in the buffets was always monitored whit and infrared termometer by a staff member, the variety of food is collossal, we came for a Jamaican experience and tasted every dish, fish run, salty fish, ox tail, curry everything, we have had enough burgers and pizza at home, no way to miss this chance to taste some dishes unavailable where we live.
The swimming pools are woderful, and yes there is the eventual straw or plastic cup in the inffinity pool, it is espected with the pool bar always busy, however the pool is being constantly cleaned. Don't blame the hotel, the very same distinguished visitors drinking in or around the pool are the ones littering! take your glasses back to the bar or the specific return boxes around the hotel.
Beaches are what we espected, lots of sea fauna and rocky, my daughters only use the beach (any beach we ever went ) to sunbath, i had a great time snorkeling ( own equipment)
and wife enjoyed the nice shades of trees.
For the travelers with complaints:
Before going anywhere, do your research, don't come to Jamaica and whine about the heat or the food, visit a place where you can find what you can eat.
The staff all over the complex is very nice, a simple smile and hello goes a long way, don't tip in you forgot small change at home, but be nice to the people that is serving you, that is a universal gesture. Sometimes we tipped in this hotel, sometimes we did not, always had the same great attention and respect, i will not include names because it will be a very long list, please walk in the designed walkways ( roofed and ilumminated! ) the wider path is for service carts, it is not a big walkway, give the drivers a break, they are very busy.
And last, it is Jamaica, for once try to practice the local mantra : NO PROBLEM MON!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share your review based off your recent stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that you have enjoyed your vacation and all that our Resort has to offer. We are grateful for your positive comments about the accommodations, the delicious meals and the competent service received from our staff.

We look forward to your visit in the near future as it was our pleasure hosting you on this visit. Until then, best wishes.
Celina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I want to put anyone who is considering this resort mind at ease. Ignore all of the bad reviews!! My husband and I were at Grand Palladium June 15-20. I read the reviews before we went and I was a little apprehensive as to what we would find when we got there. As soon as we arrived my mind was at ease. The resort is BEUTIFUL!! When we got there, there were bell boys to get our luggage and rum punch was available. We went to reception to check in and they said our room was not ready yet(we arrived before 12pm) but they told us we could leave our luggage and go get lunch at one of the buffets and have a few drinks(which we did). When we returned, our room was ready and one of the bell boys loaded our luggage and took us to our room. We had requested an ocen view room which was not avaiable on the day we arrived but they did upgrade us shortly after to a beautiful ocean front room free of charge( room 1527 the BEST!!). Both rooms we were in were comfortable, well maintained and very clean. Yes, the beds and pillows are a little firm, but thats a preference thing as far as I'm concerned. We went to 5 of the 7 ala carte restaurants and the food and service was great at all of them. We really liked the Mexican, Italian and Bubba's steakhouse. The grounds were beautiful and the pools amazing. Especially the main pool. It's huge, with a swim up bar!! The resort if fairly large but the walk didn't bother us at all. It gave us time to enjoy all of the amazing scenery. All the people that worked there were very friendly and eager to take up conversation. from the waiters/watiresses, to the grounds keepers. They all wanted to make sure we were having a wonderful time. The beaches are a little rocky but still very beautiful to look at. We don't mind because we would rather swim in the pools. We relaxed on the beaches and swam at the pools. There is entainment every night and several bars to pick from. The only place we didn't enjoy was the sports bar. It is nice because it is opened all night however the food there was just O.K. and there was no air conditioning and very little air moving so it was very hot. There are lots of excursions offered and things to do on the island. We did take one day excursion to Rick's Cafe and Margaritaville which we enjoyed and was only $25/person but could have easily stayed on the resort the whole time and been very happy. As far as others saying the service is bad, bottom line, treat others as you want to be treated!!!!! Yes they are they to serve but that doesn't mean they should be treated as servants!!! We did tip but typically only a dollar or two. We took $50 in one dollar bills and that was sufficient for our whole trip. We also took big mugs to have filled at the bars especially by the pool and that works great!! We loved this resort and would definetly return!!

Room Tip: We were in room 2417 which has a great view of the resort but there is a road close by. We were also...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bec245,

Thank you for sharing your review about your recent vacation here with us. We appreciate your positive comments and we are pleased to read about the wonderful time and experiences that you have had.

As a 5 Star Resort we pride ourselves in the level of service which we provide to our guests. It is important that our guests have a grand vacation and it is great knowing that you enjoyed all that we have to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future for another vacation nothing short of Grand!
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I am not sure why some have written bad reviews......never had to wait to get into a restraunt, food was excelant,the staff was FANTASTIC......its pretty simple, treat someone nice, and youget that in return. I am shocked and amazed at the number of people that dont tip......a dollor or two goes soooooo f, they work there butts off for very little money. It is in the middle ofnowhere, and we likd that, we hired a taxi for the day, and next time we will hire Joe Cool taxi for two or three days....what I liked, because it is the middle of no where, we didnt have to deal with a million peddlers on the beach.....there were none........the only thing to improve on is the Air conditioning in the restraunts needed to be a little better:) we are already planning our trip in the future!!

Room Tip: Ireally nted building 11, since my husband had a gout flare , but wasnt available...less walking...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

My husband & I was there for Father's Day weekend for 5 days. We had an great time. The resort is nice I didn't see any rude & unfriendly resort staff. The sports bar was our hang out I think we couldn't bare the heat it's very very Humid there. First day we was offer an upgrade to the Lady Hamilton Villa. Love it the only problem we had is those beds are hard and very uncomfortable for the amount of days we were there. I had to sleep on top of pillows. We already have back problem some nights was very uncomfortable but overall love this place. Great place to eat was Bubba's steakhouse. Big juicy steak its stays pack but the wait is worth it. Mens are required to wear long pants. We mostly ate at the buffets, I didn't care for the Poseidon restaurant not good at all. Overall we had a nice trip my husband enjoy it & so did I.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your recent vacation here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one in which you were satisfied and enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer to our valued guests.

We welcome you to visit in the near future for another memorable vacation, nothing short of Grand.

Best Wishes.
Glasgow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I write honest reviews, I tell it as I find it, I don't expect perfection, rarely anything negative I write has spoiled my trip but I feel it's only fair to give the good and the bad

We flew from the UK with Thomsons (upgrade your seats if you can!).

We hadn't thought about travelling to Jamaica but the room rate was on special and even with premium seats on the plane it worked out cheaper than Mexico. We went along with the hotel as it was recommended by the travel agent, I wished I'd carried out my own research before booking though, not because the hotel wasn't nice but there were a couple of facilities I'd expected to be available that weren't.

We used the coach organised by Thomsons, journey was ok, around 45 minutes transfer, we were the only drop off. Rum punch available on arrival. Check in was ok, but as we learned over the next couple of weeks, nothing happens in a hurry here! We had emailed the resort with a request for a centrally located room due to disability and this was met. We were given VIP wrist bands as it was our anniversary, we were congratulated and informed of our room. We walked as it was practically outside the lobby. The bell hops said they'd drop our luggage off, we waited and waited but it never arrived, we went to the lobby and there it was. My husband started to take it himself when it was eventually taken from him and delivered.

We were in villa 11, the closest building to the lobby on the Jamaica side. First impressions of the villa were lovely! The rooms are set around a courtyard type area with water feature, trees and plants. One of our key cards didn't work but we used that for the electricity slot, no issue really. The room smelled damp and musty but to be honest having been to Mexico it was no surprise and part and parcel of living in this area of the world, your nose will adjust. We were on the ground floor. Our air con worked well, was always cold. Bed reasonably comfortable, pillows very hard, you can pay for better pillows if you wish. Bathroom was fine, jacuzzi bath tub (quite noisy and can be heard in other rooms). Shower fine, door does leak as other reviewers have stated, not a problem just be careful. A couple days we were missing a towel or a shower mat but we asked for more and got them. Room cleaned daily, sheets changed every 3rd day unless you requested it with a request card earlier. Towel art greeted us on an occasion. Mini bar sometimes wasn't stocked but we called reception and it was done reasonably promptly.

One piece of advice, building 11 is very noisy at night, our room faced the infinity bar and we were kept awake on the odd night. I didn't feel I could complain since I'd requested a villa near the lobby and had got one! We put up with it and realised you sometimes can't have it all. Had to call reception one night after midnight as a group of rather loud people congregated at the entrance to the villa and talked (read as shouted) laughed, clapped and acted like fools for over an hour. Tree frogs, well!! The first night we thought they were birds, they kept us awake till dawn! However, it soon merges into the background and although you hear them they shouldn't keep you awake.

The food - I felt the buffet was your average all inclusive, nothing special, sometimes lots you wanted to eat and sometimes not very much at all. The odd night the food was only lukewarm. First time in an all inclusive I had to wait to be shown to my seat. Sometimes it was so slow, lots of tables lying empty but no one to show you where they wanted you to sit. Service was generally ok, the odd grumpy person though. At breakfast one morning I asked 4 different people over a 20 minute period for a spoon for my cereal (none on the cereal table) before I was handed a teaspoon as "the spoons are locked in a cupboard and we can't find the key".

We loved the a la cartes and felt the food, the service and the staff were a real credit to the resort. We ate in the creole, steak house, oriental and Italian, all were lovely.

Beaches - we got what we expected, not the best beaches in the Caribbean but decent nonetheless. We only used the sunset cove beach once, we were hoping to snorkel but we didn't see very much at all. Came across a real smart cookie who had removed a sea urchin from the coral and proceeded to photograph it and pass it around, thankfully they were informed of their misdemeanours by another guest.

Pools - the infinity pool looked lovely and appeared to be plenty of loungers but it was too busy and noisy so we used the "quiet" pool. It's quite small and rarely got busy, it often wasn't quiet when large groups of friends gathered shouting and throwing balls around. I didn't see any signs with expected behaviour so accepted it but had expected it to be quieter. I can't remember the girls name behind the roselle bar but she would make any cocktail you wanted. Shame people had stolen all the drinks menus so they stopped putting them out. The pool was cleaned every morning, leaves swept, life guards, pool attendants and gardeners/groundsmen spoke every morning. Special shout out to George one of the groundsmen, very friendly and chatty! One word of warning, the quiet pool is DEEP, unless you are tall you won't be able to stand, every other day the lifeguard had to jump in and help someone caught unaware!!

Shops - several shops on the resort only really used the main gift one. I hated going in, the staff were so unfriendly, never a hello, thanks, please, smile, nothing. Worst staff in the whole resort. I guess they get tired and hot and fed up, but no excuse for rudeness, frontline staff are the face of the hotel.

Wifi - free in the lobby but lots of difficulties getting a connection and holding one. It is free so I accepted it for what it was. I paid $20 (US) for one days premium service and although it was better I had very little service in my room, excellent by the pool though.

Spa - had plans for massages, refused to pay their prices, not sure about other areas of the world but the prices were 3 times higher than I'd pay in UK. At the moment the use of the outdoor spa areas are free, I was happy to use them for free but I'm informed a charge will be starting and unless they made some improvements I wouldn't pay, most of the jets didn't work, the lazy river is very lazy in that it doesn't move, it's not really a lazy river, just a waterway from the main spa pool to the jacuzzis. There's water and orange juice on tap, showers and bathrooms. One huge issue. While there a gentleman had something stuck in his foot (perhaps glass). Management were called and a pair of tweezers, some cotton wool and alcohol spray were given and with two managers looking on the man sat in the pool while a female attempted to remove the foreign object from his foot in the water!!! It took my husband and another female guest to complain before they thought better of it. I wonder if they would have drained the whole system had the object fallen in the water or the man had bled??

Gym - can be busy at times, some equipment not working

We missed room service and a beach/bar waitress service, but it didn't spoil the holiday I just assumed they'd be available

The hotel is lovely, but I've stayed in nicer and if it were for free I'd stay again, otherwise I wouldn't go back as I'd chose something that better suited what we wanted.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the infinity bar in villa 11 are very noisy
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

First and foremost, this was our second trip to the Grand Palladium. We went 3 years ago with another couple. When we came this year it was to get married and we had 27 other guests come with us. This review is based off of what we experienced and all of our guests.

FOOD: The food is all inclusive, so obviously there are lots of buffets to eat at. If you want to eat at one of the restaurants you canNOT make reservations. Also, for the men be sure to bring pants. You cannot go into most of the restaurants with shorts. Be prepared to wait for a table. There wasn't one occasion when we wanted to eat and a table was ready, so don't show up starving. Be prepared to wait at least 30 minutes for those restaurants. Also, sometimes the buffets close between lunch and dinner so find out what time that is and be sure you aren't hungry at that time.

DRINKS: Do yourself a favor and buy a larger cup at the gift store to use over and over. You'll waste time going back and forth to the bar for the little cups they give you. Other than that the drinks are good and they're included in your price, so you can't complain. Try the Miami Vice. Stay away from the Bob Marley.

ROOM: The rooms here are HUGE. Every room has a balcony, but not every room has a view of the ocean. The bedrooms now offer you a better pillow to sleep on at an extra price. Pay the money and get the pillow or bring your own. My neck was KILLING me by the end of our stay. Also, the A/C works but some work only with a room key so you need to leave a key in your room to have the A/C on while you're out. If you have it on the lowest temperature it still may not be as cold as you want. Some of our guests didn't have this problem, but some did.

HOTEL: The hotel is the largest in Jamaica. There are two sides: Lady Hamilton and Grand Palladium. If you are going with guests make sure you're both on the same side of the hotel. Also, be prepared to walk a lot because the resort is big. There are NO elevators. My grandma came to our wedding and uses a walker, so we had her on the first floor in the building closest to the adult pool in a central location. If you want a cart to pick you up be ready to wait. This service is VERY understaffed so it takes awhile. Even on my wedding day I worried that I would have to walk to my wedding in my wedding dress. Also the sports bar does not use A/C at all and it's AWFUL! We offered to pay $100 a person (around $1,000) for them to turn it on (it was the NBA playoffs) and they still said no.

BEACH/POOL: Don't forget to use the beach. There is an adult beach, by the adult pool if you want privacy from the kids. And there is another beach by the Blue Lagoon restaurant were the water activities are.

WEDDING: If you want to get married here I recommend it. Our wedding was beautiful (here is the video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJg7sxg9Pyg ) and our guests had a good time. Sharlene was our wedding coordinator and did an amazing job. We did the Waves of Love package and were happy with it. My only advice is to tell your guests to bring fans to use because it is hot out. And be ready to wait for your meal even at your rehearsal dinner. Ours took a total of 2 hours and we ordered our food in advance. Big disappointment. But the wedding went flawlessly and we have no other complaints. Ladies if you do your hair and make up at the spa print out your confirmation in advance and pay the extra $50 for the room to get ready in. It's worth it.

OVERALL: This hotel is cheap, but if you need a vacation on a budget I recommend it. Our family and friends were all able to come out, have a good time and be a part of our wedding and that's what we wanted. The hotel is REALLY understaffed, so don't expect prompt service all the time. Yes there are some negatives to it, but you get what you pay for. If you need a vacation make the trip. And if you don't like the negatives pay more for another resort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. Firstly I would like to congratulate you on your marriage! We are elated that your wedding and vacation with us was a wonderful one and that you all enjoyed all that our property has to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end. Until your next stay, best wishes from our Palladium Family.

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!