“Dont know why others complain???” 5 of 5 stars

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   The Point, Lucea, Jamaica   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Tacoma, Washington
“Dont know why others complain???”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I am not sure why some have written bad reviews......never had to wait to get into a restraunt, food was excelant,the staff was FANTASTIC......its pretty simple, treat someone nice, and youget that in return. I am shocked and amazed at the number of people that dont tip......a dollor or two goes soooooo f, they work there butts off for very little money. It is in the middle ofnowhere, and we likd that, we hired a taxi for the day, and next time we will hire Joe Cool taxi for two or three days....what I liked, because it is the middle of no where, we didnt have to deal with a million peddlers on the beach.....there were none........the only thing to improve on is the Air conditioning in the restraunts needed to be a little better:) we are already planning our trip in the future!!

Room Tip: Ireally nted building 11, since my husband had a gout flare , but wasnt available...less walking...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share your review based off your recent stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that you have enjoyed your vacation and all that our Resort has to offer. We are grateful for your positive comments about the accommodations, the delicious meals and the competent service received from our staff.

We look forward to your visit in the near future as it was our pleasure hosting you on this visit. Until then, best wishes.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,054)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

My husband & I was there for Father's Day weekend for 5 days. We had an great time. The resort is nice I didn't see any rude & unfriendly resort staff. The sports bar was our hang out I think we couldn't bare the heat it's very very Humid there. First day we was offer an upgrade to the Lady Hamilton Villa. Love it the only problem we had is those beds are hard and very uncomfortable for the amount of days we were there. I had to sleep on top of pillows. We already have back problem some nights was very uncomfortable but overall love this place. Great place to eat was Bubba's steakhouse. Big juicy steak its stays pack but the wait is worth it. Mens are required to wear long pants. We mostly ate at the buffets, I didn't care for the Poseidon restaurant not good at all. Overall we had a nice trip my husband enjoy it & so did I.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your recent vacation here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one in which you were satisfied and enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer to our valued guests.

We welcome you to visit in the near future for another memorable vacation, nothing short of Grand.

Best Wishes.
Glasgow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I write honest reviews, I tell it as I find it, I don't expect perfection, rarely anything negative I write has spoiled my trip but I feel it's only fair to give the good and the bad

We flew from the UK with Thomsons (upgrade your seats if you can!).

We hadn't thought about travelling to Jamaica but the room rate was on special and even with premium seats on the plane it worked out cheaper than Mexico. We went along with the hotel as it was recommended by the travel agent, I wished I'd carried out my own research before booking though, not because the hotel wasn't nice but there were a couple of facilities I'd expected to be available that weren't.

We used the coach organised by Thomsons, journey was ok, around 45 minutes transfer, we were the only drop off. Rum punch available on arrival. Check in was ok, but as we learned over the next couple of weeks, nothing happens in a hurry here! We had emailed the resort with a request for a centrally located room due to disability and this was met. We were given VIP wrist bands as it was our anniversary, we were congratulated and informed of our room. We walked as it was practically outside the lobby. The bell hops said they'd drop our luggage off, we waited and waited but it never arrived, we went to the lobby and there it was. My husband started to take it himself when it was eventually taken from him and delivered.

We were in villa 11, the closest building to the lobby on the Jamaica side. First impressions of the villa were lovely! The rooms are set around a courtyard type area with water feature, trees and plants. One of our key cards didn't work but we used that for the electricity slot, no issue really. The room smelled damp and musty but to be honest having been to Mexico it was no surprise and part and parcel of living in this area of the world, your nose will adjust. We were on the ground floor. Our air con worked well, was always cold. Bed reasonably comfortable, pillows very hard, you can pay for better pillows if you wish. Bathroom was fine, jacuzzi bath tub (quite noisy and can be heard in other rooms). Shower fine, door does leak as other reviewers have stated, not a problem just be careful. A couple days we were missing a towel or a shower mat but we asked for more and got them. Room cleaned daily, sheets changed every 3rd day unless you requested it with a request card earlier. Towel art greeted us on an occasion. Mini bar sometimes wasn't stocked but we called reception and it was done reasonably promptly.

One piece of advice, building 11 is very noisy at night, our room faced the infinity bar and we were kept awake on the odd night. I didn't feel I could complain since I'd requested a villa near the lobby and had got one! We put up with it and realised you sometimes can't have it all. Had to call reception one night after midnight as a group of rather loud people congregated at the entrance to the villa and talked (read as shouted) laughed, clapped and acted like fools for over an hour. Tree frogs, well!! The first night we thought they were birds, they kept us awake till dawn! However, it soon merges into the background and although you hear them they shouldn't keep you awake.

The food - I felt the buffet was your average all inclusive, nothing special, sometimes lots you wanted to eat and sometimes not very much at all. The odd night the food was only lukewarm. First time in an all inclusive I had to wait to be shown to my seat. Sometimes it was so slow, lots of tables lying empty but no one to show you where they wanted you to sit. Service was generally ok, the odd grumpy person though. At breakfast one morning I asked 4 different people over a 20 minute period for a spoon for my cereal (none on the cereal table) before I was handed a teaspoon as "the spoons are locked in a cupboard and we can't find the key".

We loved the a la cartes and felt the food, the service and the staff were a real credit to the resort. We ate in the creole, steak house, oriental and Italian, all were lovely.

Beaches - we got what we expected, not the best beaches in the Caribbean but decent nonetheless. We only used the sunset cove beach once, we were hoping to snorkel but we didn't see very much at all. Came across a real smart cookie who had removed a sea urchin from the coral and proceeded to photograph it and pass it around, thankfully they were informed of their misdemeanours by another guest.

Pools - the infinity pool looked lovely and appeared to be plenty of loungers but it was too busy and noisy so we used the "quiet" pool. It's quite small and rarely got busy, it often wasn't quiet when large groups of friends gathered shouting and throwing balls around. I didn't see any signs with expected behaviour so accepted it but had expected it to be quieter. I can't remember the girls name behind the roselle bar but she would make any cocktail you wanted. Shame people had stolen all the drinks menus so they stopped putting them out. The pool was cleaned every morning, leaves swept, life guards, pool attendants and gardeners/groundsmen spoke every morning. Special shout out to George one of the groundsmen, very friendly and chatty! One word of warning, the quiet pool is DEEP, unless you are tall you won't be able to stand, every other day the lifeguard had to jump in and help someone caught unaware!!

Shops - several shops on the resort only really used the main gift one. I hated going in, the staff were so unfriendly, never a hello, thanks, please, smile, nothing. Worst staff in the whole resort. I guess they get tired and hot and fed up, but no excuse for rudeness, frontline staff are the face of the hotel.

Wifi - free in the lobby but lots of difficulties getting a connection and holding one. It is free so I accepted it for what it was. I paid $20 (US) for one days premium service and although it was better I had very little service in my room, excellent by the pool though.

Spa - had plans for massages, refused to pay their prices, not sure about other areas of the world but the prices were 3 times higher than I'd pay in UK. At the moment the use of the outdoor spa areas are free, I was happy to use them for free but I'm informed a charge will be starting and unless they made some improvements I wouldn't pay, most of the jets didn't work, the lazy river is very lazy in that it doesn't move, it's not really a lazy river, just a waterway from the main spa pool to the jacuzzis. There's water and orange juice on tap, showers and bathrooms. One huge issue. While there a gentleman had something stuck in his foot (perhaps glass). Management were called and a pair of tweezers, some cotton wool and alcohol spray were given and with two managers looking on the man sat in the pool while a female attempted to remove the foreign object from his foot in the water!!! It took my husband and another female guest to complain before they thought better of it. I wonder if they would have drained the whole system had the object fallen in the water or the man had bled??

Gym - can be busy at times, some equipment not working

We missed room service and a beach/bar waitress service, but it didn't spoil the holiday I just assumed they'd be available

The hotel is lovely, but I've stayed in nicer and if it were for free I'd stay again, otherwise I wouldn't go back as I'd chose something that better suited what we wanted.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the infinity bar in villa 11 are very noisy
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

First and foremost, this was our second trip to the Grand Palladium. We went 3 years ago with another couple. When we came this year it was to get married and we had 27 other guests come with us. This review is based off of what we experienced and all of our guests.

FOOD: The food is all inclusive, so obviously there are lots of buffets to eat at. If you want to eat at one of the restaurants you canNOT make reservations. Also, for the men be sure to bring pants. You cannot go into most of the restaurants with shorts. Be prepared to wait for a table. There wasn't one occasion when we wanted to eat and a table was ready, so don't show up starving. Be prepared to wait at least 30 minutes for those restaurants. Also, sometimes the buffets close between lunch and dinner so find out what time that is and be sure you aren't hungry at that time.

DRINKS: Do yourself a favor and buy a larger cup at the gift store to use over and over. You'll waste time going back and forth to the bar for the little cups they give you. Other than that the drinks are good and they're included in your price, so you can't complain. Try the Miami Vice. Stay away from the Bob Marley.

ROOM: The rooms here are HUGE. Every room has a balcony, but not every room has a view of the ocean. The bedrooms now offer you a better pillow to sleep on at an extra price. Pay the money and get the pillow or bring your own. My neck was KILLING me by the end of our stay. Also, the A/C works but some work only with a room key so you need to leave a key in your room to have the A/C on while you're out. If you have it on the lowest temperature it still may not be as cold as you want. Some of our guests didn't have this problem, but some did.

HOTEL: The hotel is the largest in Jamaica. There are two sides: Lady Hamilton and Grand Palladium. If you are going with guests make sure you're both on the same side of the hotel. Also, be prepared to walk a lot because the resort is big. There are NO elevators. My grandma came to our wedding and uses a walker, so we had her on the first floor in the building closest to the adult pool in a central location. If you want a cart to pick you up be ready to wait. This service is VERY understaffed so it takes awhile. Even on my wedding day I worried that I would have to walk to my wedding in my wedding dress. Also the sports bar does not use A/C at all and it's AWFUL! We offered to pay $100 a person (around $1,000) for them to turn it on (it was the NBA playoffs) and they still said no.

BEACH/POOL: Don't forget to use the beach. There is an adult beach, by the adult pool if you want privacy from the kids. And there is another beach by the Blue Lagoon restaurant were the water activities are.

WEDDING: If you want to get married here I recommend it. Our wedding was beautiful (here is the video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJg7sxg9Pyg ) and our guests had a good time. Sharlene was our wedding coordinator and did an amazing job. We did the Waves of Love package and were happy with it. My only advice is to tell your guests to bring fans to use because it is hot out. And be ready to wait for your meal even at your rehearsal dinner. Ours took a total of 2 hours and we ordered our food in advance. Big disappointment. But the wedding went flawlessly and we have no other complaints. Ladies if you do your hair and make up at the spa print out your confirmation in advance and pay the extra $50 for the room to get ready in. It's worth it.

OVERALL: This hotel is cheap, but if you need a vacation on a budget I recommend it. Our family and friends were all able to come out, have a good time and be a part of our wedding and that's what we wanted. The hotel is REALLY understaffed, so don't expect prompt service all the time. Yes there are some negatives to it, but you get what you pay for. If you need a vacation make the trip. And if you don't like the negatives pay more for another resort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. Firstly I would like to congratulate you on your marriage! We are elated that your wedding and vacation with us was a wonderful one and that you all enjoyed all that our property has to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end. Until your next stay, best wishes from our Palladium Family.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

After seeing these reviews I was very surprised. I had a great time at the resort. A group of us traveled to Jamaica in June. My room was very clean, the staff was very attentive and nice. I didn't have any issues with my room, but my sisters tv wouldn't work in her room. They quickly upgraded her to a suite. We had a lot of fun at sunset cove, the jerk hut's food was very good. The clubs were nice. The bartenders were very friendly and the drinks were always good (and strong). The most fun we had was at the swim up bar, the music was great and the people were fun. I loved The resort. The only complaint I do have is the food was not good, they have different buffets and restaurants but they all seem to serve the same nasty food. I lived off of the made to order omelet s (which was the best food they offered) while I was there. Other than that, had a great time, and can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Get a room closer to the main building or you will do a lot of walking, unless you want to wait on t...
Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your recent vacation here at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one in which you were satisfied and enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer to our valued guests.

It is unfortunate that all the food that was offered by our a la carte restaurants and buffets were not to your liking. We do offer a wide variety of menu items and majority of guests that visit would disagree with your comments. It is understandable however, as each person has there own liking when it comes on to different cuisines.

Best Wishes.
East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

The Good : The resort is a lovely sight The entertainment is good
The Bad : The front desk is horrible The buffet food is reserved again the next day. The rooms are dirty.

The Ugly : No elevators. The Beach is full of rocks and crabs. We saw a staff worker collecting cups toss half full drink glasses into the pool water. Insects are in the rooms. The showers are built with no floor guards as soon as you shower you flood the entire bath room.

Dont go to this resort if you want a pleasant vacation it has fallen under bad management and pretty soon the premisses will become fully dilapidated. Stay away

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the main building or else you will need a bellboy to pick you up in a golf...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We regret to hear that you felt a bad attitude from the staff. Despite our staff is continuously congratulated on their work by many customers your feedback is very helpful to us in evaluating our service and we will certainly be looking into the observations which you have made with a view to taking corrective action.

About the quality of the food, we are sorry if you did not enjoy it especially when we have a variety of 7 different restaurants a la carte and 3 buffets within the Resort.

We hope that despite these negative issues which you have outlined, you will give us another opportunity to serve you and show you our usual flawless service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,

Jose Torres
Accommodations Manager
Solihull, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Extremely dissapointed,
Basically the vacation was supposed to be a major r&r for my wife regretfully it turned out to be both very stressful and totally disappointing.
We spent the first two days of our vacation, to having to complain about our accommodation and having to relocated rooms, which still wasn’t satisfactory and still had faults unrectified even after we had ‘checked out’.
They caim the hotel was ranked by you as a 4 or even 5 level, this was totally over rated it was 2-3 at very best, and some of the features claimed on the website, do not exist or work
Another main factor was that despite having paid in excess of £1k more than most disappointed guest for the quality of our room, all we have extra for our cost was a few more m2 of space, which quite frankly is outrageous. When we booked we fully expected a sea view room.
When we got there the room given to us had the furthest walk on the whole campus, was on the ground floor, with a view only of a perimeter wall, which was adjacent to a very noisy road.
A number of cockroaches in the room
This room had many additional faults including but not restricted to;
Several areas of the room had wide gaps in the ceiling and were in poor condition.
No plug in the sink or bath.
There was no iPod station, not flannels, bath mat, bath robes, slippers, no radio, no iron no ironing board, very noisy from the road and the lobby was dirty and the water feature in the lobby didn’t work it looked like an outpost that had been forgotten.
We complained straight away and all through the next day until eventually someone got us a change of room, it was very stressful and not a way to start a holiday.
The new room was a balcony view with a view of ‘trees’, well done. However, at this time we were stressed out and really had enough.
This room also we found out after moving had several faults, 90% of which were still not resolved after we had checked out these again were as follows, but not fully inclusive;
A shower that had no hot water (took no less than two days to resolve, and many stressful hors and numerous requests.
The shower door did not close too, resulting in a totally soaked floor, every time the shower was used.
Very cheap plastic toilet seats in the room.
The tap to the bath/Jacuzzi never worked and never got fixed so we couldn’t use.
The main light in the bedroom stayed on all the time, two days to fix, then you couldn’t use the main light switch in the bedroom.
The iPod docking station/radio never worked.
The TV in the living room never worked.
The ceiling fan in the bedroom was always loud, so couldn’t use at a nightime.
The air conditioning was too loud.
No covers n the external seats
Eventually we were offered another room, however this was up 6 flight of steps, and we were greeted with excrement on the bottom two steps, we just felt it was not conducive to moving rooms yet again and causing further stress and disruption to our holiday, as we did not have the confidence in the hotel that further problems would be found in another room.
Then there were complaints about the resort generally;
The food was of very poor quality, and often served at best ‘luke warm’ only after we complained did we see someone use thermometers to test the food, and that was on only one occasion.
The two main n restaurants are no more better quality than a butlins in the 70’s/80’s, very basic areas with cheap Spanish style way of serving customers.
If you wanted to eat anywhere else it was at least an hour’s wait in a stuffy lobby with no AC, it was disgusting.
The hotel was really showing its age, it really is in need of some TLC, decorating is faded and very poor.
Brick paviours on walkways are uneven, lifting, and moving and broken in many places
The tiling in the hotel areas is very dangerous and after rain treacherous and very slippy to walk on.
Toilets are very dingy and dark
No wi fi in any rooms
The service for drinks is very slow and poor, many drinks appear well watered down, and a lot of staff seem reluctant to serve people. Why are none of the drinks areas open by the pool before 10am and shut promptly at 5pm.
Why are staff taking part in drinking competitions and announcing over the tanoy that they have never been beaten at drinking competitions?
The music played everywhere is very loud, and consists mainly of rap and rave type music; seem to cater mostly for guest in their 20’s.
Why are people allowed to use boom boxes around the hotel, especially around the pool very early in the morning?
Lots of litter around and some even in the pool, there are lots of glasses in the pool, why is no one checking on this, or signs around the pool.
Why are attendants still using the ‘hoover’ to clean out the pools at 11 am in the morning?
The stench of drugs being smoked everywhere is very evident and very open, even small children remarked on it.
On 3 separate occasions we were approached if we wanted to buy any drugs.
The stench one night of drugs near our room was over powering, someone was obviously smoking joints in their room, and this was getting into the AC system and everyone’s clothes etc.
The ‘entertainment was dire, very poorly choreographed, after each 2 minute dance there was at least a 3 minute gap whilst the dancers changed.
Around the hotel general there was no other entertainment before 9.30pm, and when there was it was mostly rap/rave type music aimed at the 20’s age range, extremely disappointing. The premier bar, was stuffy, games had lots of pieces missing, and service was sluggish at best.
Furthermore on your website you advise;
Swimming pool
• 5 swimming pools with 4 built-in whirlpool baths and swim-up bar
• Adults' pool with whirlpool bath, open until midnight
• Quiet pool with built-in whirlpool bath and bar service
• Spa pool with a lazy river
• Beach and pool sunbeds, parasols and towels
They also claim there were 24 hour snacks, no there wasn’t.
NONE of the whirlpools worked and were in a very poor state of repair, and one pool even have some tiles missing on the floor which was a hazard when walking in the pool.
The adults pool was NOT open until midnight, there was not a quiet pool with built in whirlppol bath abd bar service, so your site is very misleading.

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!