“Nice but somewhat disappointing!” 3 of 5 stars

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   The Point, Lucea, Jamaica   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Lucea
Jonesville, SC
“Nice but somewhat disappointing!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Our overall impression of the resort is that it is a nice resort, however, much too large for our taste.

The reception staff was pleasant except for one lady, named Janine, who had the habit of rolling her eyes at you as if she were irritated with your mere presence. I took a quick dislike to her when she kept making demands of me when I was trying to get our group checked in. Very impatient with people, so her customer service skills were very lacking.

We stayed on the Jamaica side and I get the impression that it was nicer than the Lady Hamilton side although that is the more expensive side. Our room was clean and everything was adequate, however, I found it strange that there were no drawers to put your clothes in, just a couple of shelves in the closet which was quite inadequate for two much less three of four people staying in one room.

The beds are not comfortable at all and the pillows leave alot to be desired, thus the pillow menu in which you pay $3/day for a pillow of your choice. I have neck issues so had to pay extra for a cervical pillow in order to get a decent night's sleep.

Be prepared to walk ALOT or call for the shuttles to pick you up!

The pool was very large, however, it needed cleaning with lots of sand in the bottom. The swim up pool bar was always crowded and it was hard to get a drink there so mostly used the poolside bar near our chairs. Not a great variety of drinks either.

We were not impressed with the beaches at all and found it inconvenient to get to the beach where the water sports were.

The food was pretty good and we always received good service in the buffets, which is where we ate the most because there was more variety of food there. Bubba's Steakhouse was very slow. It was extremely hot in there and it was supposed to be one of the air conditioned restaurants but that was definitely not the case while we were there.

They tell you they have WIFI in the lobby but that is minimal at best. It fades in and out and you can't keep a connection. There was a notice in our room that WIFI was available but I was never able to receive it, probably needed to pay a fee for that so if you are expecting to stay connected to the outside world via Facebook, e-mail, etc while there, forget it!

I was overall pleased with our stay, however, I don't think I would go back. I am a travel agent and will book clients there if they ask, but I will forewarn them of the disadvantages of a huge resort. My choice would be a much smaller, more intimate setting where service appears to be much better.

Cheryl H
South Carolina

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear ch0916,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to describe your last vacation in Grand Palladium Jamaica.

All reports help us to understand what our guests need or want from their vacation. I will take note about the issues that you mentioned in your report.

We invite you to visit in the near future to experience more that our Resort has to offer.
We look forward to hearing from you, if there is anything at all we can do from this end.

Thank you for your attention.

Laura López
Assistant Room Division Director

3,515 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (920)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Saint Paul, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

When you first arrive it looks like a Roman Palace. The marble floors, the pillars etc.... Talk about smoke and mirrors. I knew this would be a long trip once I asked where I could grab a bite to eat and I was told "the sports bar" really? Not that I have a problem with a sports bar but I was looking for something a little more in depth. The sports bar was the only option since the other buffets wasn't opening till 6pm. So where do I start? The temperature in the bar felt like a sauna. Every bite you take you will burn it back off with sweat. How do you have an indoor restaurant with no AC? Sticking with the food... The food at this resort is border line microwave meals at best! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and lets just say I would have giving up my lungs to get to a IHOP. The pancakes were hard like frisbees not to mention cold. Also the French Toast was ice cold as well. I've stayed at many all inclusive resorts and you always had the option to order from the menu. At dinner you had this option so why not breakfast? The best restaurant is the Italian rest. I mean it's not Steven Starr but its better then the other options. The Jerk Hut which is on the Lady Hamilton side is good but they are always crowded and they close at 4:30pm and open at 12pm. Again, why so many restrictions on when and what to eat?

The drinks were ok with the exception of the Pina and Strawberry Coladas which reminded of snow cones in Brooklyn. I'm guessing the Island Oasis mix is to expensive so they choose to use cheap syrup and ice instead. So don't expect typical island Coladas.

Entertainment, Lacking! When I stayed at other resorts there were always activities going on. Here they did it in spots. And if you are expecting an itinerary fuhgettaboutit! We only learned about things going on by networking with other guest.

The rooms, look fancy on the surface until you start seeing the warped floors and the mold in the ceiling. The air conditioning in Jamaica is always suspect so I won't give them that charge. The power outages as well is something that I've experiences at other resorts.

Now last but not least my biggest complaint, THE SERVICE! The staff especially the waitress at the restaurants had no since of urgency. I waited 35 minutes for my appetizer then another 20 minutes for my entree. We never received an explanation or an apology for the long wait. I always felt like I was bothering the staff when I had a question. The bartenders were always friendly and eager to assist. The young ladies at the restaurants not so much.

FYI; Towels are treated like gold in this place. We only received 2 towels and when I asked for 2 more it was as if I asked for a 50K loan.

Overall, I had a great time thanks to the group I traveled with. I had my most fun when I actually left the resort. This place is not that cheap so I would get the whole "you get what you pay for" mantra but that does not apply here. I was attending my brothers wedding, that's the only reason why I decided to book here. Normally when I read negative reviews they seem to be exaggerated but not this time. If you choose to ignore them like I did...may the force be with you!

Dear EHASCALL,

We always try to meet our customers expectations so I am so sorry if this was not the case.
We have wonderful staff and services so I do apologize if we didn't do our best to provide the best vacation.

We have Managers on duty 24h per day so it really would have helped to know about any inconvenience during your stay.

If you decide to change your mind it would be a pleasure to meet you if you visit us.
Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end.

Thank you for your attention.

Laura López
Assistant Room Division Director
Lovington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton for one week in June of 2013, in building number 32 room number 04. IT WAS AMAZING!. We enjoyed every minute of our visit, The staff was amazingly nice and helpful. I've seen many people write bad reviews about this resort. I have no idea how anyone could ever say anything bad about it. From the moment our plane landed in Montego Bay Jamaica, we were greeted with friendly faces and conversation. The only bad thing that I seen was a few guests at the resort were rude to the staff and made a big deal out of nothing. This resort is extremely clean and well kept, I could not have asked for a better experience. We will be returning to this resort very soon.

Two very happy customers :)

Room Tip: Junior suite is the lowest level room i would get. super saver suites are quite small. the honeymoon...
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I just came back from this resort after being there a week in June 2013. Well 1st off we had to switch rooms because ours was on the 3rd floor & there are NO elevators. Then our building TV reception was very fuzzy, (not that we spent alot of time watching) anyway my girlfriend had the runs the whole trip & I got it at end of trip. Food was so/so, had to go to a buffet for breakfast every morning because none of the restaurants were open for it exept 1 but it was only a continental one. Main lobby was open air so NO A/C, we swet alot. Would never go to jamacia again and stay there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time in giving us your valued feedback in regards to your experience. We appreciate that you have taken the time to advise us of your opinion.

We look forward to having you again in any of the Palladium Resorts and that we have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Best regards

Jose Torres
Accommodations Manager
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We visited the Grand Palladium in April 2013. We found that the grounds and guest bedrooms were lovely and well kept, the pool and surrounding area was perfect. However the food was average at best. In most cases it was day old food, cooked from the day or days before and warmed up to be served. The speciality restaurants were a complete waste of time (not good). The staff in most cases were short and rude. And there were constant remarks about how little wages the staff made weekly (fishing for tips).

The resort hires photographers to take photos of the guests on site for additional cost....These guys can be pushy.

I would not return, nor would I recommend Grand Palladium to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments. We would like to offer our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences that you have experienced throughout your stay. At the same time, you can feel assured that your comments helped us identify or focus on any possible deficiencies that may exist in our hotel and take whatever corrective actions may be necessary.

We look forward to having you again and that we have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Best regards

Jose Torres
Accommodations Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

overall this place was great.The room was more than I expected(except be careful when you shower the water leaks by the door if you are not careful). All the restaurants we tried were very good. The pool area was also good. now for the downside the swim up bar can get very busy and the bartenders only seem to pay attention to the younger guys that camp out there all day long. also the drinks all over are VERY weak. Would I go again yes.

Room Tip: depending on where your room is plan on doing a lot of walking
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your recent vacation here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one in which you were satisfied and enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer to our valued guests.

We welcome you to visit in the near future for another memorable vacation, nothing short of Grand.

Best Wishes.
British
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We are a couple in our late 40's and I had done my homework and read numerous reviews. Travelled first 2 weeks of December 2012:

Good points:

1. Very, very clean.
2. Staff whilst laid back and with the exception of 1 receptionist very helpful and kind.
3. Lovely pool areas
4. Multiple restaurants
5. Beautiful rooms, we were upgraded to a bungalow/villa but our initial first room was lovely.

Negative points:

1. The proximity of Jamaica to US means that there are a lot of Americans and also Canadians who always seem to be in large and rather to loud groups. They throw the American football around in the large pool constantly without consideration of others. The British aren't without fault there just isn't so many of them.
2. I found the dinning buffet or restaurants rather institutionalised as they were serving so many people. Service was always satisfactory but lacked any personal touch and none of the restaurants had any intimacy. The food was always good but not special.
3. We were lucky and had bands that allowed us to pre-book, if you only had the standard red bands then it is on a first come, first served basis. Not to everyone's liking and certainly not to ours.
4. We used about US$400 easily in 2 weeks for tipping, I am not sure if expected is the correct term more that you felt obliged... The staff do work hard you just need to factor it into your spending money. That said we tipped the maid and the guy who filled up our fridge between 2-4 US$ daily and had excellent service.
5. Beaches - sorry but having been to other islands I did find these beaches terribly disappointing. The sand is quite coarse and the sea is nothing special. My partner who has loves to snorkel only had 1-2 days as it was quite blowy and said it was nothing special.
4. My partner hurt his knee on a trip (the hotel was not in anyway to blame) but the medical facilities are totally inadequate. The nurse was border line rude and any treatment horribly expensive.
5. Lunch time dinning - There wasn't anywhere that you could go and sit outside to have a light lunch you had to eat inside at the buffet which we really didn't like at all.
6. No pool service or room service, when you are there for 2 weeks and have returned from a trip then we just fancied a light meal in our room :-(
7. The cocktails served around the resort where very, very limited and very, very odd they where frozen and not mixed at all but served from a sort of ice machine!
8. Last point and one of the most important the NOISE!!! we are not old and fuddy duddy in anyway but the constant, constant noise from the enormous speakers at the pool EVERY day and ALL day really is to much and the same, same, same music ever day which I suspect is the staff's type of music not the guests. The entertainment and associated noise in the evenings again is very, very, very loud and not terribly good but can be heard all over the resort.. There never seemed to be any peace from the music, day or night :-(

In summary I do like Jamaica, the people are lovely, the hotel was really fine and it was probably my fault for giving the reviews the benefit of the doubt. It just seemed to lack any sophistication anywhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!