“It really depends what you want from your holiday” 3 of 5 stars

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   The Point, Lucea, Jamaica   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
British
“It really depends what you want from your holiday”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We are a couple in our late 40's and I had done my homework and read numerous reviews. Travelled first 2 weeks of December 2012:

Good points:

1. Very, very clean.
2. Staff whilst laid back and with the exception of 1 receptionist very helpful and kind.
3. Lovely pool areas
4. Multiple restaurants
5. Beautiful rooms, we were upgraded to a bungalow/villa but our initial first room was lovely.

Negative points:

1. The proximity of Jamaica to US means that there are a lot of Americans and also Canadians who always seem to be in large and rather to loud groups. They throw the American football around in the large pool constantly without consideration of others. The British aren't without fault there just isn't so many of them.
2. I found the dinning buffet or restaurants rather institutionalised as they were serving so many people. Service was always satisfactory but lacked any personal touch and none of the restaurants had any intimacy. The food was always good but not special.
3. We were lucky and had bands that allowed us to pre-book, if you only had the standard red bands then it is on a first come, first served basis. Not to everyone's liking and certainly not to ours.
4. We used about US$400 easily in 2 weeks for tipping, I am not sure if expected is the correct term more that you felt obliged... The staff do work hard you just need to factor it into your spending money. That said we tipped the maid and the guy who filled up our fridge between 2-4 US$ daily and had excellent service.
5. Beaches - sorry but having been to other islands I did find these beaches terribly disappointing. The sand is quite coarse and the sea is nothing special. My partner who has loves to snorkel only had 1-2 days as it was quite blowy and said it was nothing special.
4. My partner hurt his knee on a trip (the hotel was not in anyway to blame) but the medical facilities are totally inadequate. The nurse was border line rude and any treatment horribly expensive.
5. Lunch time dinning - There wasn't anywhere that you could go and sit outside to have a light lunch you had to eat inside at the buffet which we really didn't like at all.
6. No pool service or room service, when you are there for 2 weeks and have returned from a trip then we just fancied a light meal in our room :-(
7. The cocktails served around the resort where very, very limited and very, very odd they where frozen and not mixed at all but served from a sort of ice machine!
8. Last point and one of the most important the NOISE!!! we are not old and fuddy duddy in anyway but the constant, constant noise from the enormous speakers at the pool EVERY day and ALL day really is to much and the same, same, same music ever day which I suspect is the staff's type of music not the guests. The entertainment and associated noise in the evenings again is very, very, very loud and not terribly good but can be heard all over the resort.. There never seemed to be any peace from the music, day or night :-(

In summary I do like Jamaica, the people are lovely, the hotel was really fine and it was probably my fault for giving the reviews the benefit of the doubt. It just seemed to lack any sophistication anywhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,052)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
North East, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

We traveled for a long weekend getaway with family. Overall, we had a great time. You will read good and bad reviews, but the ones about the room must be from those that don't get out because we only were in the room to sleep and change clothes. Most of the day and evening we were out of the room. Food was ok, not great and the Seafood restaurant should not be called that. Steak house is the best restaurant but one night we had to wait and hour and the other night we were turned away because they were over booked.
The nightlife was fair, with live music and a white party. But the overall best place was the pool, was in there for hours.
I would return if I wanted to be in that location.

• Stayed June 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Palladium June 2013. We were a family of 7 and had two connecting rooms. The staff was friendly and outgoing, and the resort was beautiful. The buffet restaurants were hit and miss some days, but for the most part were good with a good variety of dishes. The specialty restaurants which were open for dinner were fabulous. Definitely don't do a buffet for dinner, go to the restaurants. The drinks were plentiful and so were the beach and pool chairs! The only negative comment I have is that the resort could have done a better job of communication, especially as it related to activities. My kids were sent on wild goose chases all around when they tried to attend an activity that was supposedly "planned". No one knew where these activities were taking place and after a few tries, they just gave up. But otherwise, the resort was great. And the spa was fantastic!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one and that you enjoyed all that our property has to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end. Until your next stay, best wishes from our Palladium Family.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Grand Palladium Jamaica from May 12-19 for our wedding. We had an amazing time and the resort was beautiful! There was a group of 36 of us and all of us enjoyed our vacation. We had minor problems here and there but they were resolved eventually and none of us cared because we were all having such a great time. The food was overall pretty good and I really enjoyed the drinks, it was nice to have a selection of different drinks to try. The Miss Lou bar always had a bit of a lineup but the drinks were worth it. We spent most nights at the Infinity Bar and had a great time! I did notice some of the other complaints that others had but I would never base my whole trip on whether my shower door leaked or there was a hair on the tub or people around me were being loud and having fun, who cares!? You're in Jamaica, relax and don't sweat the small stuff. We had an 8 month old baby crawling around on the not always so clean floors, whatever, he had fun too :). Our wedding day was perfect and beautiful and I loved every moment of it and will cherish the memories forever. We are so glad we picked the Grand Palladium Jamaica for our wedding and we recommend it!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your recent vacation here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one in which you were satisfied and enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer to our valued guests.

We welcome you to visit in the near future for another memorable vacation, nothing short of Grand.

Best Wishes.
oswego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Had a wonderful time at this resort. The staff members were very courteous, helpful, polite and treated us with such kindness & respect. I have special dietary needs due to food allergies and they treated me unbelievably well. They really seemed to care. The head Chef had me make reservations every night so that he could come & visit & check on me every night at whatever restaurant we dined to make sure that I was well taken care of & always had plenty of dinner choices available to me. It was absolutely wonderful. We had such a great time we will definitely be returning again soon. Cant wait to go back

Room Tip: Choose & pay the extra for the ocean view Jr. Suite. We stayed in Villa 14 which was about as fa...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear tweetynut,

Thank you for sharing your review about your recent vacation here with us. We appreciate your positive comments and we are pleased to read about the wonderful time and experiences that you have had.

As a 5 Star Resort we pride ourselves in the level of service which we provide to our guests. It is important that our guests have a grand vacation and it is great knowing that you enjoyed all that we have to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future for another vacation nothing short of Grand!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

This was our third time in Jamaica and we dropped of at this hotel on our airport trasfer. The first impressions are good with the grand reception area. I was really looking forward to staying there!
When we arrived the man at the front desk when checking in was not the friendliest, we were asked to take a seat and had to wait 45 min for them to find a room ( we arrived at 6pm) we didn't get wrist bands and were not given towel cards so had to go back and wait for these later on after a 10hour flight and already waited for our room. The rooms are ok nothing special, not 5* that's for sure! The shower was really smelly and we never got enough towels.
As the days went on the pool area got dirtier and dirtier we were there for two weeks and we never once sore anyone sweep or wash the floor around the sunbeds there were wrappers and things left under the same umberller for days and one morning my husband and another man at the hotel fished out 5 glasses out of the pool! (I was traveling with my 3 year old) there was natts flying round the pool area from where drinks were spilt and not cleaned up.
The attetude of the staff was terable never a smiling face and could be very rude! If you wanted coffee with your breakfast you would have to wait around 15min that's if you got offered at all! (They are not nice!) The staff in the kids club were not friendly I wouldn't leave my child with them.
We made the most of our holiday and did have good time but was really gutted about the hotel!
It has put me off ever going back to Jamaica for the way we had been treated at this hotel. It's not 5* so don't ecxpet a great hotel and good friendly service because you will not get it!!!
Go somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Rapture7barrack,

Thank you for write your review.
I'm sorry to hear about your dissappointing stay with us.

In reference your comments about our front desk staff, I would like to apologize for the experience that you had with them. We will take actions to improve our service in that area. We take our guest’s comments very seriously.

We always try to meet our customers expectations so I am so sorry if this was not the case.
We have wonderful staff and services so I do apologize if we didn't do our best to provide the best vacation.

We have Managers on duty 24h per day so it really would have helped to know about any inconvenience during your stay.

If you decide to change your mind it would be a pleasure to meet you if you visit us.

Thank you for your attention.

Laura López
Assistant Room Division Director
East Berkshire, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Staff were friendly, especially the entertainers. Nightclub was always buzzing, but there was a quieter bar with dancing and live bands overlooking the ocean, and a pool bar with snooker and football tables- something for everyone! A good range of restaurants, and we had some great trips organised for us, including a great time at Ricks café! Loved it!!!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!