We are a couple in our late 40's and I had done my homework and read numerous reviews. Travelled first 2 weeks of December 2012:
1. Very, very clean.
2. Staff whilst laid back and with the exception of 1 receptionist very helpful and kind.
3. Lovely pool areas
4. Multiple restaurants
5. Beautiful rooms, we were upgraded to a bungalow/villa but our initial first room was lovely.
1. The proximity of Jamaica to US means that there are a lot of Americans and also Canadians who always seem to be in large and rather to loud groups. They throw the American football around in the large pool constantly without consideration of others. The British aren't without fault there just isn't so many of them.
2. I found the dinning buffet or restaurants rather institutionalised as they were serving so many people. Service was always satisfactory but lacked any personal touch and none of the restaurants had any intimacy. The food was always good but not special.
3. We were lucky and had bands that allowed us to pre-book, if you only had the standard red bands then it is on a first come, first served basis. Not to everyone's liking and certainly not to ours.
4. We used about US$400 easily in 2 weeks for tipping, I am not sure if expected is the correct term more that you felt obliged... The staff do work hard you just need to factor it into your spending money. That said we tipped the maid and the guy who filled up our fridge between 2-4 US$ daily and had excellent service.
5. Beaches - sorry but having been to other islands I did find these beaches terribly disappointing. The sand is quite coarse and the sea is nothing special. My partner who has loves to snorkel only had 1-2 days as it was quite blowy and said it was nothing special.
4. My partner hurt his knee on a trip (the hotel was not in anyway to blame) but the medical facilities are totally inadequate. The nurse was border line rude and any treatment horribly expensive.
5. Lunch time dinning - There wasn't anywhere that you could go and sit outside to have a light lunch you had to eat inside at the buffet which we really didn't like at all.
6. No pool service or room service, when you are there for 2 weeks and have returned from a trip then we just fancied a light meal in our room :-(
7. The cocktails served around the resort where very, very limited and very, very odd they where frozen and not mixed at all but served from a sort of ice machine!
8. Last point and one of the most important the NOISE!!! we are not old and fuddy duddy in anyway but the constant, constant noise from the enormous speakers at the pool EVERY day and ALL day really is to much and the same, same, same music ever day which I suspect is the staff's type of music not the guests. The entertainment and associated noise in the evenings again is very, very, very loud and not terribly good but can be heard all over the resort.. There never seemed to be any peace from the music, day or night :-(
In summary I do like Jamaica, the people are lovely, the hotel was really fine and it was probably my fault for giving the reviews the benefit of the doubt. It just seemed to lack any sophistication anywhere.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Palladium Jamaica Hotel Lucea
- Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort And Spa
- Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa Lucea