“A 3 being sold as a 5!!” 3 of 5 stars

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   The Point, Lucea, Jamaica   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Fort McMurray, Canada
“A 3 being sold as a 5!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My wife and I went to Grand Palladium for a wedding, we stayed from April 26-May 3 and like all resorts this place had it's good and bad. Lets start with the good, the food is the best of anywhere we have stayed including Mexico, Turks and Caicos, St. Lucia and Cuba. My wife is very fussy and if she can find good to eat then it a good day and she even said she liked the food so eating here is easy. Next is the resort which is pretty nice and huge with no end of stuff to do. Unfortunately this is the end of the good.

Now the bad, first the staff who you deal with at this resort are extremely rude. Bartenders, customer service, front desk etc but the people who work the grounds and security are all very friendly and pleasant, odd really. I will give you an example on the first day we arrived we checked in and put our stuff in the room and not knowing the resort we decided to go to main swim up bar for a drink, easy to find i thought so I get bartender attention when he comes over he doesn't greet with a hello or anything just looks at me and says rudely " what do you want?" I said I will have a Mojito please and he says " he's out of mint and bar closes in an hour so no" and i said ok then a rum and coke which he says " Bar closes in an hour and I got no ice, i'm not going to go get any so you can have a beer or the special". Just like that a real nice welcome to this resort, I just told him no thanks and left the pool. This attitude seems to be all over with the people you deal with, sad really.

Next bad is trying to pass this resort off as a 5 star, we have stayed at a lot of resorts and never have we stayed at a 5 star where you have to carry your bags from lobby to your room. I am not above doing this but this is something you don't do at a 5 star but after checking in we were given our room number and given a ride by trolley to our building and had to get our bags from the trolley to our room which was not on bottom floor and there are no elevators. Also 5 star resorts have stocked mini bars in the room but here the bar has 2 beer, 2 water and 4 pop (soda) in which you can have less pop and more water but can never get more than 2 beers. A stocked bar has beer and an assortment of hard alcohol but not at this resort, so to me this is NOT a 5 star.

Next is the expected tips for everything you do on the island and the resort is no different. For the first 4 days at resort the housekeeper just threw the hand & bath towels on the counter in the bathroom, not put on racks or anything just thrown in a pile on the counter until i seen the maid and gave her a tip of $5 for keeping the room clean then for the next 3 days she put the towels away, guess i should have tipped from the start. We bought a bottle of Bailey's to put in coffee in morning to sit on deck and enjoy the start of the day since the room did have a coffee maker. We got coffee the first day and that was it even though we called front desk daily and stopped by to ask for more but they never brought coffee for the entire week we were there, luckily a friend did get coffee and we just grabbed his but not what we should have had to do.

there was other small things but all in all we are glad we went and can say we been to Jamaica now to add to the ever growing resume but unless someone is getting married we won't go back again. Not just cause of the resort but I just got real tired of the begging and expected tipping that Jamaica is. I tip when a tip is earned and don't need to be asked or shown or told how much to tip. They seem to forget that a tip is for exceptional service not just cause we on vacation.

I don't want to change anyone's mind who is looking at the resort for vacation just want to enlighten as to what to expect. If you decide to go then I hope you have the best time.

Room Tip: Book for the Lady Hamilton if you can, it the same resort just the better rooms and more centrally l...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to describe your last vacation in Grand Palladium Jamaica. All reports help us to know about our guests expectations and help us to find the corrective actions necessary.

Thank you for your good comments about our meals. Regarding the negatives we are sorry to know you felt bad attitude from some our staff as we are constantly training them. For your information our Human Resources department is focused on monthly customer service training programs in order to be able to exceed our guest expectations. Sorry if some of the employees you meet were not as friendly as the rest of the staff.

Regarding the minibar, it is only filled with water, sodas and beer as we advertise in all brochures. Liquors are served only in bars.

Tipping is optional and always at the Guest’s convenience, it is certainly not our intention for our guests to feel uncomfortable. We humbly apologize for any discomfort you experienced and assure you that this is not the typical experience of our guests.

We appreciate the time you took to share your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you better in the future.

Jose Torres
Accommodations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,054)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Somerset, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

First I really enjoyed my stay in Jamaica at this resort. We attended a wedding and it was fabulous. The Jamaican staff was excellent. My husband and I had seen this hotel being built the last time we were in Jamaica and always wanted the opportunity to return and stay here. From outward appearances the place seems beautiful but I was very disappointed when we took a closer look. The following are things that I believe they need to do to make this a better place.

1. Maintenance of the hotel...fix cracks in walls around the resort...paint....trim bushes....add more tropical plants....

2. More Jamaican food at the buffet restaurants. The one Jamaican Restaurant was very nice but only opened for dinner

3. The electricity and water kept going out while we were there...not for an extended period of time but still inconveniencing

4. Air conditioning in room was not adequate. If you tried to adhere to the environmental policy of removing the card key which shuts off all electrical items (except the refrigerator) you came back to a very stuffy room.

5. More security in Disco......some people get out of control while drinking and do not follow rules of the resort

6. Be more accommodating of request. We asked for more water (don't really drink much so we did not need to have Red Stripe Beer in our refrigerator) it took several calls over a two day period to finally have them to put water in the refrigerator instead of beer.

All in all we had a fabulous time and for the price it was a bargain.....but this is no five star hotel

Room Tip: I stayed in a Junior suite on the third floor. There are no elevators in the villas.......but you ge...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Vulcan, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

we were at the resort for a very short vacation. the staff were very helpful, polite and made us so welcome. villas are set in beautifully manicured grounds, rooms are spacious, well kept and include all the little necessities we always seem to need. shaded walkways interconnect the villas and central areas. Restaurants , pools, excellent with wonderful service. can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: try to get an ocean view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Greetings joan o,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review based off your recent stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that you have enjoyed your vacation and all that our Resort has to offer. We are grateful for your positive comments about the accommodations, the delicious meals and the competent service received from our staff.

We look forward to your visit in the near future as it was our pleasure hosting you on this visit. Until then, best wishes.
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I often do not share bad experiences but I thought I would as my expectations were somewhat shuttered this time around. I had visited Grand Palladium in 2009. The resort was still under construction and some parts were open. I must say my girlfriend and I had a wonderful time considering the circumstances especially the construction that was taking place at the time. Pushing the clock forward. This year My partner of 20 years and I got married so we thought we would go on our honeymoon. Since we have gone to Jamaica every year we chose the Grand palladium since we had been there before. We decided to take our two daughters with us gaes 20 and 17.We booked our travel package with Sun Wing vacations on line. On the website, they ask you the purpose of your vacation so we filled out honeymooners. I must say we did not expect anything spectacular or extra ordinary but hey, it was there so we thought it must mean something.
When we got to the Palladium on the 22nd of April we arrived early just before noon so we could not check into our rooms. As always we changed, we had our bracelets on and the partying began. Now, keep in mind that we had been there before so we pretty well knew the place and location of its facilities.. We also expected to see some familiar faces. Reception staff, bar staff etc. Whenever we have gone to Jamaica or the Dominican we always bring stuff with us to give away. Be it clothes, school supplies or just small gifts. First thing we noticed was that none of the bar staff we could recognise were around. So we thought well, we have only been here for a few hours may be tomorrow they will show up. So we took a stroll to the beach volleyball where guests were playing. Again the entertainment staff were all new hmmmm.... we said. So I got curious and asked where everybody was. I was told there had been an investigation regarding drug dealing so over 40 people were let go. so that was ok with me. After all I do not smoke ganja.. After all nobody want staff to be doing that kind of stuff not that one needs staff to get high any ways.
At about 2:30 I returned to reservation desk to see if our rooms were ready. They were not. Around 3:15 our rooms were ready. So I asked the young man behind the desk (name with held) if there were any specials for honeymooners. He said no there wasn’t. he added that all rooms were all the same. I knew right there and then that was a lie because if one did their home work they would have seen that the website has lots of information regarding the amenities at the palladium. So I corrected him and said he was wrong. At this point I had a good buzz on. so I asked to see his supervisor. When the supervisor came she was extremely pleasant( Jusline) she apologized which I told her not to because I was not there to complain I just wanted someone who knew the facilities better to serve me. I told her that we had been there before and that the information the young man was giving us was incorrect. She agreed with us and also pointed out that as second time guests we were supposed to have a different color bracelet. So she changed our bracelets from Purple to Red. she also upgraded us to much better room. However we could not move that night as all rooms were full. so we got to see a standard room for the first time. The next day we were moved to a much better room and closer to the restaurants and the pool which was a bonus. In fact it was the same building we stayed in 2009.
Our stay was very enjoyable. Our two girls whom we took with us to Jamaica for the first time really enjoyed themselves. Palladium has not changed much. there is room for improvement I might add.
First: A lacarte Restaurants :
They need to start taking reservations. Yes is great to advertise 7 restaurants and yet you cannot seat all your guests. We had to wait for closer to 2 hours one night. My usual loud mouth got the attention of the restaurant manager. "One of a few Jamaican managers" at the Palladium. There is a little history to my emphasis, The manager made sure that my family were taken care of at every restaurant we went to. In fact he encouraged us to make reservations even though there was only 4 of us. As some of you might know you can only make reservations if there is a group of 8 or more. So that was very nice of him to do that. However, I do not think it has to take complaining in order to get served at a descent time at one of the restaurants. So given the number of guests at the hotel, more staff need to be put on duty especially if the hotel is full. One night the Asian restaurant was closed due to a wedding function. I thought this was very unnecessary. why close the entire restaurant for one wedding? Holding a wedding reception in a board room would have served the purpose I would say. In any case there was no Asian restaurant open for the entire evening which pushed the rest of the Asian bound guests to the other surrounding restaurants.

Second: Entertainment
I was comparing to what it was like when we first visited. I was wrong. The day time entertainment has deteriorated tremendously. They now have these boys who are more interested in getting in women's pants than entertaining them. The music sacked!! I was told one day when I asked them to change the music that it was POP day "Thursday to be exact. They could not play Reggae or anything else except pop. Well I asked for the entertainment manager. She told me they did not have such a policy. POP stood for People of Palladium!! not pop music. The staff did not even know what POP stood for! any ways I always bring my own music so I cannot complain much but I am sure there is room for improvement here. I go to Jamaica because of its rich culture. The beach volleyball court is sucidal. What ever you do if you are a volleball player do not ever attempt to dive to save a play. My knees havent healed yet! I am sure they could add more sand to prevent some serious knee scrapes.
Over all I can say the place has not changed that much. It’s not any better than it was when we first visited in 2009. As for cleaning house, firing people because they were selling ganja to make extra cash is none of my business. All I can say is that it is still happening and I had weed to prove it!! purchased right there by the pool. so there!! Would I go back? Of course!! I know what to expect and as long as I have my rum, and lots of sun the rest is immaterial.
Third:
The Rooms: One of our requests was that we all stay in the same building. This is why it was difficult the first night to get us a rooms that were in the same building. In any case, in the end were next door to the girls room. so that was fine. What was unusual was when my wife woke up one night to use the wash room. I heard her pounding on the floor. when I got up I noticed there were cockroaches on the bathroom floor. To my surprise she was not screaming! I know for sure that had any of my girls came across this they would have screamed murder for sure. Any how from then on we decided to leave the bathroom light on and the roaches never came back.
Water pressure was very low in our unit. I guess it was very common so we did not dare to take a shower at the same time.
Over all I would give Palladium a 3.5 out of 5. There is certainly room for improvement in many areas. I would certainly go back except this time I will do my home work with regard to the perks awarded to returnees.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one and that you enjoyed all that our property has to offer.

We must apologize for the inconveniences experienced and can assure you that this is not normally the case on a daily basis. It is unfortunate that during this stay you did not like some of the changes that were made from your last visit .

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I finally managed a getaway for the two of us and this resort was absolutely perfect. The room (Suite) was more than we had expected with a huge shower, hydromassage tub, living room and king bed, the food was outstanding with a great variety available, service was typically of the highest standard met with a large smile and wonderful greeting, the pool and main building were exquisite and the spa ultra relaxing. Yes its true the beaches aren't perfect but they more than sufficed and if you bring some snorkelling gear with you there are amazing things to see just around each corner. Sure if you look for negatives you might find them but for the two of us the negatives were all pretty trivial.

Room Tip: Pay a couple extra bucks and go for the full suite.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 9, 2013

Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have traveled to many all-inclusives and this one is one of the best.The best food and dining of all resorts so far.The grounds were clean and rooms very nice.The people that worked at resort were very friendly and always willing to help with anything that came up.We stayed in building 12 on second floor which was great because we were close to all main buildings and we had a pool and bar right across from room.Even with a group of 18 we all had great time,will return for sure.Only thing I did not like was pillows,had a option to upgrade but for some reason they wanted to charge more,kind of a strange thing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Mountville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We spent a long weekend here over Easter. This resort is approximately 1hour from Montego Bay airport. Upon arrival we were warmly greeted and the welcoming staff were very friendly and helpful. We were taken to our jr.suite which was ocean front. We were on the third floor but our bags were carried up the stairs for us. Our room was beautiful and the view was to die for. Our first restaurant we ate at was the Mexican one and we were not impressed. That night we went to the bar that overlooks the pool. Beautiful views again! The bartenders were a lot of fun and very friendly but some of the girls working the floor were not at all.
At the big pool the chairs fill up fast so get there early. We had a smaller and quieter pool closer to our room which is where we frequented. There were bars by both pools and one in the big pool. No waiter service at the pool but we aren't lazy.
The beach on the far end (by the jerk hut) is the better of the two beaches except there is no bar close. You have to walk a little to get there. The jerk hut is worth the wait ( i waited 35 minutes) and I recommend waiting there rather than waiting in the sports bar to even be acknowledged by a server(40 minutes and we left. We asked to be waited on 3 different times and still no service.
The Asian, Cajun and steakhouse restaurants were great! No reservations for the restaurants so either go early or late, because there will be a wait.
We only stayed awake for one night of entertainment and it was awesome. The dancers came upstairs to the bar and put on a great show! It was fun and upbeat!
A huge plus for this resort is that the beaches are private and no one bothers you. A big negative is every morning on our way to breakfast there was a working smoking marijuana outside our building window, there was a guest doing the same by our pool daily also.
Would I return? If I went back to Jamaica maybe.

Altogether our weekend was nice.

• Stayed April 2013
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your stay here at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one and that you enjoyed all that our property has to offer.

We appreciate your comments and will take into consideration your points of concern which were outlined.It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end. Until your next stay, best wishes from our Palladium Family.

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!