“wonderful resort” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Lucea
Vulcan, Canada
“wonderful resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

we were at the resort for a very short vacation. the staff were very helpful, polite and made us so welcome. villas are set in beautifully manicured grounds, rooms are spacious, well kept and include all the little necessities we always seem to need. shaded walkways interconnect the villas and central areas. Restaurants , pools, excellent with wonderful service. can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: try to get an ocean view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Greetings joan o,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review based off your recent stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that you have enjoyed your vacation and all that our Resort has to offer. We are grateful for your positive comments about the accommodations, the delicious meals and the competent service received from our staff.

We look forward to your visit in the near future as it was our pleasure hosting you on this visit. Until then, best wishes.

3,562 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (935)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I often do not share bad experiences but I thought I would as my expectations were somewhat shuttered this time around. I had visited Grand Palladium in 2009. The resort was still under construction and some parts were open. I must say my girlfriend and I had a wonderful time considering the circumstances especially the construction that was taking place at the time. Pushing the clock forward. This year My partner of 20 years and I got married so we thought we would go on our honeymoon. Since we have gone to Jamaica every year we chose the Grand palladium since we had been there before. We decided to take our two daughters with us gaes 20 and 17.We booked our travel package with Sun Wing vacations on line. On the website, they ask you the purpose of your vacation so we filled out honeymooners. I must say we did not expect anything spectacular or extra ordinary but hey, it was there so we thought it must mean something.
When we got to the Palladium on the 22nd of April we arrived early just before noon so we could not check into our rooms. As always we changed, we had our bracelets on and the partying began. Now, keep in mind that we had been there before so we pretty well knew the place and location of its facilities.. We also expected to see some familiar faces. Reception staff, bar staff etc. Whenever we have gone to Jamaica or the Dominican we always bring stuff with us to give away. Be it clothes, school supplies or just small gifts. First thing we noticed was that none of the bar staff we could recognise were around. So we thought well, we have only been here for a few hours may be tomorrow they will show up. So we took a stroll to the beach volleyball where guests were playing. Again the entertainment staff were all new hmmmm.... we said. So I got curious and asked where everybody was. I was told there had been an investigation regarding drug dealing so over 40 people were let go. so that was ok with me. After all I do not smoke ganja.. After all nobody want staff to be doing that kind of stuff not that one needs staff to get high any ways.
At about 2:30 I returned to reservation desk to see if our rooms were ready. They were not. Around 3:15 our rooms were ready. So I asked the young man behind the desk (name with held) if there were any specials for honeymooners. He said no there wasn’t. he added that all rooms were all the same. I knew right there and then that was a lie because if one did their home work they would have seen that the website has lots of information regarding the amenities at the palladium. So I corrected him and said he was wrong. At this point I had a good buzz on. so I asked to see his supervisor. When the supervisor came she was extremely pleasant( Jusline) she apologized which I told her not to because I was not there to complain I just wanted someone who knew the facilities better to serve me. I told her that we had been there before and that the information the young man was giving us was incorrect. She agreed with us and also pointed out that as second time guests we were supposed to have a different color bracelet. So she changed our bracelets from Purple to Red. she also upgraded us to much better room. However we could not move that night as all rooms were full. so we got to see a standard room for the first time. The next day we were moved to a much better room and closer to the restaurants and the pool which was a bonus. In fact it was the same building we stayed in 2009.
Our stay was very enjoyable. Our two girls whom we took with us to Jamaica for the first time really enjoyed themselves. Palladium has not changed much. there is room for improvement I might add.
First: A lacarte Restaurants :
They need to start taking reservations. Yes is great to advertise 7 restaurants and yet you cannot seat all your guests. We had to wait for closer to 2 hours one night. My usual loud mouth got the attention of the restaurant manager. "One of a few Jamaican managers" at the Palladium. There is a little history to my emphasis, The manager made sure that my family were taken care of at every restaurant we went to. In fact he encouraged us to make reservations even though there was only 4 of us. As some of you might know you can only make reservations if there is a group of 8 or more. So that was very nice of him to do that. However, I do not think it has to take complaining in order to get served at a descent time at one of the restaurants. So given the number of guests at the hotel, more staff need to be put on duty especially if the hotel is full. One night the Asian restaurant was closed due to a wedding function. I thought this was very unnecessary. why close the entire restaurant for one wedding? Holding a wedding reception in a board room would have served the purpose I would say. In any case there was no Asian restaurant open for the entire evening which pushed the rest of the Asian bound guests to the other surrounding restaurants.

Second: Entertainment
I was comparing to what it was like when we first visited. I was wrong. The day time entertainment has deteriorated tremendously. They now have these boys who are more interested in getting in women's pants than entertaining them. The music sacked!! I was told one day when I asked them to change the music that it was POP day "Thursday to be exact. They could not play Reggae or anything else except pop. Well I asked for the entertainment manager. She told me they did not have such a policy. POP stood for People of Palladium!! not pop music. The staff did not even know what POP stood for! any ways I always bring my own music so I cannot complain much but I am sure there is room for improvement here. I go to Jamaica because of its rich culture. The beach volleyball court is sucidal. What ever you do if you are a volleball player do not ever attempt to dive to save a play. My knees havent healed yet! I am sure they could add more sand to prevent some serious knee scrapes.
Over all I can say the place has not changed that much. It’s not any better than it was when we first visited in 2009. As for cleaning house, firing people because they were selling ganja to make extra cash is none of my business. All I can say is that it is still happening and I had weed to prove it!! purchased right there by the pool. so there!! Would I go back? Of course!! I know what to expect and as long as I have my rum, and lots of sun the rest is immaterial.
Third:
The Rooms: One of our requests was that we all stay in the same building. This is why it was difficult the first night to get us a rooms that were in the same building. In any case, in the end were next door to the girls room. so that was fine. What was unusual was when my wife woke up one night to use the wash room. I heard her pounding on the floor. when I got up I noticed there were cockroaches on the bathroom floor. To my surprise she was not screaming! I know for sure that had any of my girls came across this they would have screamed murder for sure. Any how from then on we decided to leave the bathroom light on and the roaches never came back.
Water pressure was very low in our unit. I guess it was very common so we did not dare to take a shower at the same time.
Over all I would give Palladium a 3.5 out of 5. There is certainly room for improvement in many areas. I would certainly go back except this time I will do my home work with regard to the perks awarded to returnees.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one and that you enjoyed all that our property has to offer.

We must apologize for the inconveniences experienced and can assure you that this is not normally the case on a daily basis. It is unfortunate that during this stay you did not like some of the changes that were made from your last visit .

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I finally managed a getaway for the two of us and this resort was absolutely perfect. The room (Suite) was more than we had expected with a huge shower, hydromassage tub, living room and king bed, the food was outstanding with a great variety available, service was typically of the highest standard met with a large smile and wonderful greeting, the pool and main building were exquisite and the spa ultra relaxing. Yes its true the beaches aren't perfect but they more than sufficed and if you bring some snorkelling gear with you there are amazing things to see just around each corner. Sure if you look for negatives you might find them but for the two of us the negatives were all pretty trivial.

Room Tip: Pay a couple extra bucks and go for the full suite.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 9, 2013

Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have traveled to many all-inclusives and this one is one of the best.The best food and dining of all resorts so far.The grounds were clean and rooms very nice.The people that worked at resort were very friendly and always willing to help with anything that came up.We stayed in building 12 on second floor which was great because we were close to all main buildings and we had a pool and bar right across from room.Even with a group of 18 we all had great time,will return for sure.Only thing I did not like was pillows,had a option to upgrade but for some reason they wanted to charge more,kind of a strange thing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Mountville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We spent a long weekend here over Easter. This resort is approximately 1hour from Montego Bay airport. Upon arrival we were warmly greeted and the welcoming staff were very friendly and helpful. We were taken to our jr.suite which was ocean front. We were on the third floor but our bags were carried up the stairs for us. Our room was beautiful and the view was to die for. Our first restaurant we ate at was the Mexican one and we were not impressed. That night we went to the bar that overlooks the pool. Beautiful views again! The bartenders were a lot of fun and very friendly but some of the girls working the floor were not at all.
At the big pool the chairs fill up fast so get there early. We had a smaller and quieter pool closer to our room which is where we frequented. There were bars by both pools and one in the big pool. No waiter service at the pool but we aren't lazy.
The beach on the far end (by the jerk hut) is the better of the two beaches except there is no bar close. You have to walk a little to get there. The jerk hut is worth the wait ( i waited 35 minutes) and I recommend waiting there rather than waiting in the sports bar to even be acknowledged by a server(40 minutes and we left. We asked to be waited on 3 different times and still no service.
The Asian, Cajun and steakhouse restaurants were great! No reservations for the restaurants so either go early or late, because there will be a wait.
We only stayed awake for one night of entertainment and it was awesome. The dancers came upstairs to the bar and put on a great show! It was fun and upbeat!
A huge plus for this resort is that the beaches are private and no one bothers you. A big negative is every morning on our way to breakfast there was a working smoking marijuana outside our building window, there was a guest doing the same by our pool daily also.
Would I return? If I went back to Jamaica maybe.

Altogether our weekend was nice.

• Stayed April 2013
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your stay here at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one and that you enjoyed all that our property has to offer.

We appreciate your comments and will take into consideration your points of concern which were outlined.It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end. Until your next stay, best wishes from our Palladium Family.
Sparta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at the GP in early March. Overall we had a enjoyable stay. We are a family of 4 and shared one jr suite. The room was nice and in a good location(Bldg 24) and we were fine in one room as we were only in it to sleep. This property is not for people with mobility issues. There are stairs every where, for every thing, and only 2 elevators on either end of the main building, and they are not easily noticeable, we stumbled on to one by accident and when we found the other one is was not working, and did not for the rest of our stay We had decent food at the buffet and enjoyed some of the a la carte, the Mexican was not good, and none of us got what we had ordered. The beach on the end of the Lady Hamilton side is small but a wonderful place to spend the day, but again requires stairs to get onto the beach(also the bar/restaurant and the bathrooms are up the stairs). The staff were very friendly, except for the POP. They are the entertainment staff and were overly pushy with my teen daughters. They quit going to the area where POP were after the 1st day as it was so annoying. Also the POP always had a strong odor of pot, VERY STRONG, at all times of the day.

Overall it was a nice stay, but we always try to make the best of any vacation. I'm undecided if we would return, but this was our 2nd trip to a GP (other time to Riviera Maya) and we like the brand.

Room Tip: bldg. 24 is great - right next to a small pool and close to the main complex
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Greetings!

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future. We appreciate your comments and feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end. Until your next stay, best wishes from our Palladium Family.
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed there (all adults) last may. When we first arrived we were disappointed to find out this was a "wrist band" all-inclusive resort. I got engaged there so the stupid wrist band was in all of our pictures. Oh well. The rooms were nice but the bathrooms were awful. Tons of mold growing in the tiles, some tiles were missing in the shower. When I dropped my soap I was so grossed out I just got a new bar. The toilet was so high that I couldn't even touch the ground when I was sitting on it.
The pool was nice however my now husband got a staph infection while there and we think it was from the pool. The beach was nice and very close to the pool. They guard the towels like crazy people. You get a towel card and trade it in for a towel everyday. But be sure to count the towels because they gave us one less towel than card we gave them and they tried to charge us $40 for the towel and their mistake. We didn't end up paying but that was only after we got into pretty big argument with the staff (very unprofessional) they were actually screaming at us.
Service- half the staff was very nice and the other half was
horrible. They also have "party starters" that stay at the resort and organize games for the guests. One of the girls was a little too friendly and drunk one night and was hanging all over my brother in law, he was too nice to say something. She ended up grabbing his drink and drinking it. It was just too much. At the pool they blow whistles to get you to play and are pretty aggressive about it. If your looking for a party resort at a cheap price this is your resort. We didn't care if this and we will not be returning. This is no more than a 3 star resort. Mexico has much nicer people and resorts!

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!