“1/2 staff is nice the other 1/2 are very rude. True 3 star resort” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   The Point, Lucea, Jamaica   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
San Diego, California
“1/2 staff is nice the other 1/2 are very rude. True 3 star resort”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed there (all adults) last may. When we first arrived we were disappointed to find out this was a "wrist band" all-inclusive resort. I got engaged there so the stupid wrist band was in all of our pictures. Oh well. The rooms were nice but the bathrooms were awful. Tons of mold growing in the tiles, some tiles were missing in the shower. When I dropped my soap I was so grossed out I just got a new bar. The toilet was so high that I couldn't even touch the ground when I was sitting on it.
The pool was nice however my now husband got a staph infection while there and we think it was from the pool. The beach was nice and very close to the pool. They guard the towels like crazy people. You get a towel card and trade it in for a towel everyday. But be sure to count the towels because they gave us one less towel than card we gave them and they tried to charge us $40 for the towel and their mistake. We didn't end up paying but that was only after we got into pretty big argument with the staff (very unprofessional) they were actually screaming at us.
Service- half the staff was very nice and the other half was
horrible. They also have "party starters" that stay at the resort and organize games for the guests. One of the girls was a little too friendly and drunk one night and was hanging all over my brother in law, he was too nice to say something. She ended up grabbing his drink and drinking it. It was just too much. At the pool they blow whistles to get you to play and are pretty aggressive about it. If your looking for a party resort at a cheap price this is your resort. We didn't care if this and we will not be returning. This is no more than a 3 star resort. Mexico has much nicer people and resorts!

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (987)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Jacksonville, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I am a manager in the Hotel industry and I can assure you this is NOT a 5 star hotel or experience in any way...a 3 at best! The worst service I have ever experienced- except for the 2 exceptions I list below.....not a single employee made eye contact, smiled or greeted me during the entire stay. There are so many things that need improvement but guests will overlook a lot if the service is good but in this case the service was consistantly bad and definitely the worst part of the stay. An expectation of excellent service starts at the top and is the responsibility of the ownership & management group to set the standards - there is an obvious lack of training on what great customer service looks and feels like at this property. I went with a group of 40 for a wedding and everyone complained about the same things- poor property upkeep, rooms overrun with mosquitos & bugs, broken or missing phones, broken tiles on floors and stairs.....overrall general poor maintenance & cleanliness. Complete lack of sense of urgency - staff acts so put out.
Only 2 exceptions all week- 1 was my waiter on the morning of departure- Michael in the breakfast area that over looks the pool -offered prompt, friendly service- and Doreen in the Spa - I was happy to give them both great tips...their fellow staff members could make much more in tips if they followed suit.
The food at the buffets is average- better at the a lacarte restaurants- if you can get in....plan at least an hour wait for dinner at those restaurants- under staffed. Try to make it to the Jerk Chicken Hut at the Sunset Cove- delicious chicken and paella served daily at lunchtime. Yummy!
We stayed at Iberostar in Montego Bay 2 years ago for my daughter's wedding and it was MUCH better for about the same price.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on higher floor- even second floor is better than ground level. Lady Hamilton sec...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
delanco, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a very Picturesque hotel. It is large and has beautiful pools. Beaches were nice, they do have some rocky ones but it isn't that rocky. The buffet at breakfast was good. We went to the jerk chicken shack. that was ok but i could have done without seafood in my rice. Chicken was decent but didn't care for the sauces. this was just a personal opinion on that. There were people there that did like it. the italian restaurant was just average. The steak restaurant was good. However the first night we went it was very good and the second it was just ok. Service was lacking and service is slow but that didn't bother me because i was in no hurry to get through dinner. The one night we did go to the Italian and had to wait so we went to the bar around the corner to wait. As i sat down i saw a cockroach crawl across the bar. It was not a palmetto bug, it was a roach. But we are in the tropics and i suppose you have to expect these things. of course a roach crawling at me was not what i wanted to see before dinner.
The rooms were nice i have to say. beds were comfy for a hotel. I didn't notice any smells of mold or mildew. There was an issue with a maid and the wash cloths. i want someone to come in and do the room all at once. They would come in while we were at breakfast and take the washcloths we showered with. then they would leave. They wouldn't come back until later. Then they came back and didn't give us washcloths.. so there was a little bit of a problem with the washcloths. But otherwise when we asked for towels we got them. It wasn't a big problem. What i didn't care for was people constantly coming in the room. There was someone in to clean the rooms, then someone to fill the bar.. one day two guys came to spray for bugs on the balcony (we didn't request this) so i felt like there was constantly someone coming into the room for something.
The first night we arrived we walked down to the adult pool to watch a guest and a couple of the employees off in the corner by the lifegaurd stand dancing and fooling around with the woman. The husband was so drunk he didn't know what was going on. They proceeded to fool around then the rest of the employees left and one "engineer team employee" was left with the woman.. well they started making out and rubbing all over the place and the next thing you know they went down to the adult beach (it was dark) and didn't come back up at least while we were there... i thought this is interesting behavior. This was the same guy that came over to me and specifically said i can go topless at the pool and topless and bottomless at the beach.. i was like no thanks.. you don't know who management is no one really has any badges on showing who they are only names. He also offered us smoke.. we were offered this several times. But they weren't pests about it. if you said no they moved on. There were maids singing by the adult pool one day with a box for donations. i stayed at the pool and watched.. some people gave, most were too drunk to even know what they were collecting for. i thought if it was something worthy i would give a few dollars but most i asked were like we dont' know we just gave them dollar.. lol..
all in all it was a nice place. The tipping got a little much everyone did have thier hand out. We spent about 100 us dollars on tipping. I don't mind tipping on some things but other things were rediculous.
We went on one excursion to ricks cafe. we stopped at the shopping huts first. Stay on the bus. everyone is begging you to come in thier shop and buy from them. my husband bought three necklaces.. all three broke before we got home. then when we went to ricks the kids outside were begging you to buy candy bars for three dollars. i am sure they were just hot and melted. we gave a couple of them just a dollar and had them keep the candy bars. i felt bad for all of them and thier way of life. But i can't give dollars to them all. Inside there are guys jumping off the cliffs were neat but they are also begging for dollars.
It wasn't a bad trip though. i just don't think the food is quite up to par with a four to five star place. it was edible and there were a few good things but all in all i wouldn't say it was fantastic. but i didn't come there to eat really. Drinks were ok but really sweet so you have to find something to drink that isn't real sweet. Beer wasn't bad red stripe, i just wished they had light beer. i enjoyed the light red stripe when i went to ricks.
there is a lot of walking with this resort. there are carts however that can pick you up but i didn't mind the walking.
I had a nice time with my husband. we enjoyed our time together and that is what really mattered to me.

Room Tip: rooms closest to the main building are the best
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bridgeport, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Its a very beautiful & modern resort, the food is excellent, drinks galor -- lots of restaurant choices, loved the swim bar, people are friendly, good customer service. Only downside is that Lucea is secluded.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your stay here at the Grand PalladiumJamaica. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one and that you enjoyed all that our property has to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end. Until your next stay, best wishes from our Palladium Family.
Amherst, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Palladium, Jamaica from April 27-May 4, 2013 for a very large destination wedding of approximately 100 guests. First off, let me say, if you are a bride considering booking your wedding here (particularly if you are expecting a large guest turn out) you might want to think twice. Based on the comments from the bride and groom and family of the couple, this resort was rather unaccommodating in any way. It was like pulling teeth to get information out of resort staff or have them accommodate a simple request such as finding a paper plate for leftover wedding cake.

Also, when the bride and groom arrived they were given special red bracelets as the rest of the group were wearing purple. They were told these red bracelets gave them special privilages such as being able to book restaurant reservations etc. Two days later they were told that these "privilages' have since been done away with and they in fact, received nothing special during their stay at the Grand Palladium.

Aside from the wedding, the hotel experience was rather disappointing. The food was average at best. I don't consider myself a picky eater but not a lot appealed to me at the buffet. Also, for being in a tropical country, the selection of fruit was pretty disappointing. I had assumed that fruit would be plentiful in many varieties but it was the same 4 fruits available each day at the buffet....watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew melon and pineapple. I guess banana's were kept at the bar to make specialty drinks and were not available to patrons to eat? Furthermore, when one tried to order such specialty drink, many were told they were "out of bananas". How does this happen?

We were only able to try two of the a la carte restaurants during out stay because the wait to get into an a la carte is just ridiculous. As the resort does not take reservations, we were told you'd basically have to go to the more popular restaurants (i.e. the steakhouse) at 5:30 when they open, get your buzzer so they can "buzz you" when your table is ready and wait for approximately 1.5 hours for a table. Not ideal when most don't even want to leave the beach before 5 pm, then have to shower and prep for dinner. I have no idea why the resort just doesn't take a la carte reservations. We did manage to eat at the Mexican and Italian restaurant. Both were mediocre as the food was only luke warm when it arrived. You could tell it had been sitting under a heat lamp for some time and was dried out by the time it arrived at the table. In my opinion, everything at the buffet pretty much tasted the same.

As far as hotel staff goes, it was rare to find a pleasant staff member. I was under the impression that Jamaicans were very welcoming and happy. Not so, at this resort. Many times, we would approach someone at the front desk, or a bar, or restaurant with a smile on our faces and a simple question. We were met with blank stares and eye rolls. Many times when we'd ask a question they would simply look at us and turn away, not even acknowledging us. Moments later they would return with an answer. Many in our group were taken back by the blatant expectance of tips from room staff etc. The staff at this resort seemed to want to "see the money" before they gave you good service, instead of working hard and in return, receiving a good tip. I know that many in our group refused to tip after a few bad experiences with staff. We tip well when on vacation, but felt no need this time after our first few days at the resort.

The actual resort itself is lovely to look at but the rooms are just fair. Mold and a musty smell everywhere. You can tell the villa's were built with poor workmanship and is starting to fall apart already (I had no idea the resort was only built in 2008...I thought it was at least 20 years old). I wore my flip flops in the shower each day as I was pretty sure the shower was not being cleaned. The sink in the bathroom wasn't cleaned once while we were there as my makeup that I washed off each night started to built up in the sink basin. Each day it was anyone's guess if we'd be provided with clean towels or facecloths even though we tipped the maid everyday. We had a couch in our room that we refused to sit on, it looked like something someone would have in a dank, dark basement and was filthy.

All in all, I've been to 4 and 5 star resorts before and this one didn't come close. I would rate it as a 3 star, which is unfortunate, given the price we paid to go there. We will return to Jamaica as it is beautiful and everyone we met off of the resort were lovely, we just won't be returning to this one.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the GP April 22-28 and had a great vacation. I was a bit apprehensive based on the negative reviews I read but was pleasantly surprised. I always stay at an all inclusive resort when I go to the Caribbean, this resort by far gives you a lot of bang for your buck.
Loads of dining options. Yes you may have a wait at some of the a la carte restaurants, however there are always at least 4 or 5 open each night along with 3 buffets. Not every restaurant had a line every night. I had to wait 30 minutes one night at the Xaymaca restaurant. I went back the following night and was seated right away. I have been to other resorts that had only 2 a la carte restaurants that required reservations which you had to make the day before, not to mention if you didn't go before 8am, would get fully booked up. Whew! I am on vacation, not at work. Dining here was easy and flexible.
I celebrated my birthday while at the GP and the staff at the Indian restaurant (Baghali) made it really special. My brother was able to order a cake thru guest relations as a surprise, my chair had balloons, flowers on the table etc. If you go to GP, visit the Indian restaurant, they had the best salad bar. Told our waiter (Andre) we have never tried Indian food before and he told us he would take care of us. Did he ever! It was a feast of culinary delights. This was my favorite meal of the week, kudos to the staff at the Baghali on April 27, you made my birthday really special. Big shout out to Andre!
Since I am giving shout outs: Judine (front desk), Solomon and Owen and Poseidon restaurant, Christina at Xaymaca restaurant, Pansy (security at sunset cove) all went out of their way to make my vacation a better experience. To all the dining rooms staff, you guys are the hardest working people I have ever seen. I wished I could have tipped each and everyone of you!
Nightly entertainment was also a pleasant surprise. The dancers from the nightly shows are so talented. Definitely go to the infinity bar afterwards for a continued demonstrations of their dancing skills.
This is a big property so there is a bit of walking involved to get around. Bring comfortable shoes as recommended. Per the pictures on the website, this resort is on a rocky peninsula so long barefoot walks along the beach is not recommended. You do need water shoes. I was comfortable walking into the water barefooted at the sunset cove beach, but it was rocky.
Overall I had a great week at the Grand Palladium. The property is beautiful, from the soaring lobbies to the indoor gardens and ponds. I am definitely returning and would recommend it to family and friends.
I recommend reading the reviews, then go with a open mind and realistic expectations, relax and enjoy!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your recent vacation here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that your birthday vacation with us was a wonderful one in which you were satisfied and enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer to our valued guests.

We welcome you to visit in the near future for another memorable vacation, nothing short of Grand.

Best Wishes.
amherst, n.s.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

First I must say that this was my first time to an all-inclusive resort. The resort it self was beautiful to the eye. There were always lots of chairs by the pool. It is not a resort to go to if you are looking for a beautiful beach, which I prefer. There is a small beach on the far side of the lady Hamilton side but it gets very crowed very early in the day. As for the service I must say it is not very good. The first nicht we arrived the only thing opened was the sports bar and the food has much to be disired and was cold when we got it. after waiting about 45 mins for it. The food at the buffet was good but if you wanted anything freshly made you waited a while in line for it. and then sometimes they threw things in you didn't ask for and didnt like. My daughter went to get some veggies from the pasta bar but didnt want the pasta and they told her it was for the pasta only and were very rude to her. Sometimes you would order a drink or ask for something and wouldn't get it until your meal was nearly finished. I learned to go get it myself after a few days. The resturants were good but slow for the most part. We had the best food and service in the Italian resturant but it is out on a balcony outside, so it was very hot. Others we were with didn't have as good a service. The people at reception were all rude and not very helpful with anything. As for the people on the rest of the resort, some were very friendly and some treated you like you were bothering them to ask for anything. We went for a friends weding and they charged way too much for everything, if you could even get what you wanted. Not very accomodating at all. I do not recommend this place for a wedding. I will not return to this resort ever as I am sure there are many resorts that will give much better service then this resort.
I don't believe this to be a 5 or even a 4.5 star resort.

Room Tip: building 11 is closest to the main building. rooms in the teens I believe are closes to the water a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!