“Awesome Vacation!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Dartmouth, Canada
“Awesome Vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the Grand Palladium Jamaica in April 2013 - loved the place! Very beautiful and clean resort.

Before I left, I emailed the resort with my request and received a response including a PDF file to print and fill in with the information that they require on check in. Having this available made check in a breeze - very quick. Our room wasn't ready yet (as expected) but we had our wrist bands and resort map and went off to find lunch at the buffet. After lunch we changed into bathing suits, there are individual change rooms down a corridor from the lobby that have a sink and a shower. Very convenient. We found a spot at the pool to relax while we were waiting for our room to be ready.

Our room was in building 15 on the 3rd floor - an awesome room with a fantastic ocean view, king bed and a lovely jacuzzi that didn't take hours to fill. A big bonus is that we could see the sun set over the ocean from the balcony - just gorgeous! The maid kept the room very well cleaned and we had no issues with towels, facecloths or anything else. She would always smile and wave if she saw us in the hallway or path.

This resort is one of the prettiest resorts that we have been at. There are many points around various walkways that offer gorgeous sweeping views of the beach, pool and/or the sea. The views from the Infinity bar are great as well, we went there one morning (it was closed) just to walk around, enjoy the views and take a few photos. The resort is a good size but not the largest we have been to by any means. Getting around wasn't a problem. We found the resort layout to be very well organized and we were quickly able to find everything without constantly referring to a map or getting lost. We had no problems walking anywhere we wanted to go.

We went snorkeling almost every day at either Sunset Cove or Coral beach (or sometimes both). Never had a problem finding someplace to put our stuff while there. The water is so calm and clear - no red flags here! This is a very easy place to snorkel and there is quite a lot to see, especially if you take a bit of banana to feed the fish. We saw a number of varieties of fish including trumpetfish, goatfish, yellowtail snapper, sergeant major, tangs, angelfish and a few more I couldn't identify. We also saw a squid, octopus and skates (at least I think they were skates and not rays). I would recommend anyone snorkeling or swimming in areas with coral (anywhere, not just this resort) to use a foot protection such as neoprene swim socks. Some coral can be very sharp and if you accidentally kick it or a sea urchin with your bare feet, you could get hurt.

We also took out a two person kayak at Sunset Cove, very nice to explore along the coastline. The water was so calm, it felt more like kayaking on a lake. We really enjoyed it. They also had paddleboats which we didn't try since we preferred the kayak.

Most days we would head back to one of the pools in the late afternoon to enjoy a swim and a drink before returning to the room to watch the sunset and then change for dinner. I really like the deepness of the two smaller pools and their quieter surroundings, they are a nice change in atmosphere from the big pool. The Roselle pool was close to our room, and one day we just relaxed and spent the day there reading. The tall bushes surrounding this pool makes it feel more private and secluded. Definitely very relaxing. We liked the fact that there was music at the various pool areas and thought the selection played was fine.

We liked the food at this resort, the breakfast buffet made bacon just the way we like it and had a good selection of fresh fruit, pastries and hot dishes. For lunch we could do a buffet, order from a menu at the Sunset Cove restaurant or go to the Jerk Chicken hut. At dinner we ate at Bhogali, Xaimayca, Bubbas, EL Mariachi, and Lotus.

We tried the Jerk chicken at the hut as well as ordering jerk chicken from the Sunset Cove restaurant and Xaimayca. I like the jerk chicken best from the hut, but wasn't wild about paper plate/plastic fork. My husband wanted it hotter (spicier). Some of our other favourites were the Filet Mignon at Bubbas, the Chicken Taquitos at EL Mariachi, and the Ginger and Chocolate cake at Lotus.

Bubbas seemed to have the most lineups. The night we tried it, we arrived between 6 and 6:30 and had only a short wait with no need for a beeper. There were a lot of people waiting when we left. The Palladium Coffee at Miss Lou's was very good too.

All of the staff here seemed to be very cheerful and friendly, even during peak times when they were very busy. A lot of them sing while they're working, which is great.

We saw a number of wedding parties while we were here and some very pretty venues for the ceremony and photos. Most mornings were beautiful, some of the afternoons clouded over and sprinkled, and one had a long downpour. So for this week, anyone having their wedding in the morning had a better chance of sunshine.

I would return to this resort in a heartbeat, and would recommend it to people who enjoy snorkeling from the beach or want to teach their kids how to snorkel. If you're looking for miles of white sand with nothing but more white sand in the water, this is not the resort for you.

Room Tip: buildings 12-16 back on the ocean and are in a quiet location ground floor rooms that face pathways...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (987)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is my 4th time at the grand palladium hotel and the last time there i went there 2009, 2010, and 2011 i leave there two week ago and it was the worst i was rude to by the hostesses. didn't see the staff who made our vacation happy and worthwhile there were no more Nicketa, Shemika,Tishell and they were the best hostess they had.Some waitresses were very rude there were no smile on either hostesses or waitresses faces, my kids were so uncomfortable i hate the service i got there my house keeper was excellent she was the best and i must say there was this wonderful gentleman there at the front desk he was wonderful cant seem to remember his name advice to management you need to take the our feeling into consideration cause we are spending alot and we feel so sad when we get there bad judgement or experience from the staff at restaurant there are no more fun happy faces at the front of the door instead there were rude faces i will never come bad there neither will my family or friend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Petawawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We attended with 64 friends and family for a wedding. The resort wedding planner was less than helpful. The bride did so much running around on her own due to the lack of support from the wedding planner. The planner was overwhelmed by the small details required for the Infinity Bar location reception/dinner and when we arrived many items had not been completed and table seating arrangements were half correct, many missing.
On the day of the wedding, the bride was continually harassed by front staff to pay to have hair dresses, makeup artists and photographers (who work daily on this resort and are well known by staff) and had to pay entrance fees again which were to be taken care of by Omisha the wedding planner in advance and were prepaid by the bride and groom.

The resort staff lost their courteousness half way through our 8 day stay. Housekeeping stopped stocking fresh towels, and mini bars went unstocked.

There was a robbery by 4 men while we were there as well, resulting in our security guard being shot as they fled the resort by sea. Nothing was ever said any members staying on the resort and security lacked after this incident.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We traveled to Jamaica in October of 2011 with another couple. (it would not allow me select a day prior to May 2012)

When we arrived only one of the rooms was ready (the other couples) so they took all the luggage there and told us they would call their room when our room was ready. We waited over an hour in our friends room and still nothing, on our way to the lobby we happened to look into the room next door, which would have been ours, and they were working on fixing the shower, it was about 4pm at this point. After traveling all day we just wanted to shower, change clothes and head down to eat dinner and relax. I went to the front desk and asked when our room would be ready and the woman really didn’t know, she told me to “sit and relax” or go to my friends room and they would call us. At this point, I was completely frustrated because this is unacceptable. I demanded to be moved to another room and with much hesitation she finally did.

The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. The water from the shower leaks out from under the glass door, so if you aren’t carful you might slip and fall. We attempted to use the Jacuzzi one night but it wouldn’t hold water or bubble so we gave up.

The food at most of the restaurants was very good, except the steakhouse, where most of the meat was fatty and either undercooked or overcooked. No happy medium. The only thing that frustrated us was that the men had to wear long pants and closed shoes on the hot sticky Jamaica nights to eat at anywhere but the buffet but there was a woman who we seen regularly at dinner in PJ bottoms and a tank top, while her boyfriend was in long jeans and a t-shirt, that I’m still really confused about.

The entertainment was your typical all inclusive shows, something to do for an hour or so.

We attempted the beach one day where the “water sports” are, and after a 15 minute hike, we arrived at what looked more like a lagoon than the ocean. We turned right back around! There was a beach close to the pools but it was “ok” you had to pull your own chairs out and walk all the way to the pools for a drink, so we spend most of our time at the pool.

The swim up bar at the pool was huge and you were always able to get a drink. BRING YOUR OWN MUGS! The cups they give you are very small plastic cups, 3 or 4 sips worth if it has ice. The bartenders are awesome! Remember to tip them and they’ll take care of you all week!

The disco is actually a lot of fun! There are lounges to sit and listen to music or a huge dance floor with modern music to dance to!

We took a day trip to Negril where we were able to swim in the beautiful clear blue ocean water and do some shopping. We also stopped at Rick’s café where my friend actually jumped into the water from the cliff! He said it was a rush!!

Having been to the Beaches Negril resort about 10 years ago, I would not go back to Grand Palladium. We made the most out of our stay, but if you want to enjoy Jamaica stay at Negril

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Brooks, AB
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

THE BEACH IS AWFUL, DO NOT ENTER, SEA URCHINS AND STINGRAYS AT LARGE. There is a REASON they have a huge pool! STAY IN NEGRIL IF YOU WANT A NICE BEACH!
I think they must purchase some towels for the resort as it seemed I never got hand towels no matter how many times we asked. Room was dirty when we got there, feet were black as floor wasn't mopped.

Also, a suggestion for your employee's to be happier and enjoy their jobs more would be for management to have an incentive program for them. They aren't very happy and downright rude at times.

Your entertainment is terrible. As a family resort I'm appalled that my 2 young boys got to sit though a show where every girl on your entertainment staff shook their butt to the point where we thought we were at the strippers. Very distasteful. I would never recommend that a family stay there. I'll pay the extra money to go to Beaches or Sandals because the staff are happy and the entertainment is appropriate, and they have clean rooms that provide towels daily.

Room Tip: higher floor have less cockroaches, just sayin...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear babskurtz,

Thank you for your review. We apologize for your negative impression of our staff and property

Your feedback is very helpful to us in evaluating our service and we will certainly be looking into the observations which you have made with a view to taking corrective actions.

We encourage guests with issues or complaints to make them known to our Public Relations department, in order for us to immediately address the situation, especially if it concerns the lack of towels. We are sorry for that experience with your room.

We look forward to having you again and that we have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Best regards,

Laura López
Assistant Room Division Director
Chicago,IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

When I fly away from USA to a Caribbean Island, my expectation are to hear some Caribbean rhythms, specially in Jamaica, I was looking forward to hear som B.Marley music... but what did I get? Rap/pop music all day 24/7 (including the shows - which I can accept one day of that ... bu every day? couldn't have something more different?) I would fire the entertainment director If could. On top of that, there was a night club, sound proof, but no they "smartly" played at the bar over the pool -night time blasting the mic with the exact same music from the show up to 2:00PM... I know we are on vacation, bla bla bla... but enough is enough... do you want party? take your party to that "unused night club" and let the other guesses sleep for God sake. the food was superb, the friendless of the entire staff outstanding, bartenders need a little continue education class on making martinis, but their rum mixed drinks was good.
Another disappointment - the Beach, very uncapped, the palm trees leaves top cabanas was falling a part, beach is just few feet of very coarse sand, not what I expect from the pictures, but... there was the pool @ the spa, once the grand-pool was way too cold.

Room Tip: My tip if you go, ask for the further building, is a long walk but you can sleep when is your bed ti...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Ciganinha,

We would like to thank you for taking the time in giving us your valued feedback in regards to your experience.

We are so sorry about your disapointing with the music. In fact, our nightly entertainment that starts at 9pm always carries a different theme. Every day we have a different show in our theater and during the day you could find also music for all the guests, anytime.

We are proud to inform we are one of the few Hotels who have earned the Blue Flag certification which speaks directly to natural, clean and healthy beaches. It is also difficult to understand how you felt dissatisfied with our beaches.

Thank you for your nice comments about the the food, the drinks and the friendless of our wonderful staff.

We will nonetheless include your concerns in our briefings in an effort to continuously improve our service and product. Thank you for having stayed with us.

Best regards,

Laura López
Assistant Room Division Director
Whistler, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I just returned from a beautiful trip to the Jamaica-Grand Palladium. A group of close friends were on vacation to celebrate my best friend’s wedding. We were staying at the resort from April 1st to April 7th. The resort was beautiful and portrayed exactly like the pictures on the website. Overall, the staff were friendly and the food was good. Everything about this holiday was as-expected until the day of the wedding.
My best friend was married on the second day of the trip. The bride’s maids and I prepared the bride for her big day in the bridal suite, and left some of our personal belongings secured in the suite during the ceremony. Upon our return to the bridal suite, we were very distraught to discover that sums of money, and my cell phone had been taken. I left $60.00 and my Iphone in my handbag, and when I returned, the handbag was empty, and the bride was missing $300.oo from a discrete area in the suite. This was supposed to be a joyful celebration, which unfortunately turned into a deceitful experience. We filed a report with security the next day, but our claim was met with allegations of “why didn’t we keep our belongings in the safe”. My response was that personal items were in a secured suite, and no one should have entered without our permission. We were only away for the suite for two hours, so this was a huge shock and disappointment to everyone and it has hung a very dark cloud over the wedding day, and the entire trip. My advice to anyone who stays at the Grand Palladium is to never leave anything of value in the suites, unless it is personally safeguarded. The real aftershock was that staff and security both showed a lack of empathy, and provided allegations of our own wrong-doing, rather than reaching a reasonable resolution. We were made aware that security conducted routine checks, but no one ever took the time to follow up with us in regards to our missing items. I had to go out of MY way on MY vacation to see how the investigation had progressed. Is this truly how a 5 diamond resort should address these situations, and treat their guests?? The only response we received from security was that just one hotel associate (a housekeeper) had entered the room during our absence, and that individual denied any wrong-doing. I am still very upset about these circumstances, and the follow-up received by the hotel, so I believe that it is appropriate for me to receive an explanation from the Hotel Manager. A formal explanation would be the least of what is expected, as well as compensation due for our items taken. Needless to say, I would never return to the Grand Palladium. We still managed to put our discomfort aside and enjoyed the remainder of our vacation, however I was always paranoid that something else would be stolen (not a good feeling at such a beautiful resort).
I’ve since had to purchase a new Iphone, and cancel my previous cell phone plan, which has incurred a total of ($300) at my own expense. It is necessary for the resort to take ownership for employee negligence and to provide adequate compensation! I have attempted to contact the hotel manager and front desk manager numerous times without any response. This is NOT what I expect from a 5 diamond resort, and I truly hope that the Hotel Manager takes the time to address this issue.
Thank you in advance.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor-but note, there are not elevators but the bellman can easily assist with your l...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!