“Jamaica April 2013” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Lucea
Ottawa, Canada
“Jamaica April 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were originally booked at Holiday Inn Sunspree - but they had a deal with Grand Palladium which we took full advantage of! The Grand Palladium is gorgeous, huge, and beautiful! Awesome pools, wonderful beaches and some of the best staff we've ever met!

Room Tip: Ask for the Lady Hamilton side if you have a family, but not building #26 as it's close to the e...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Greetings!

Thank you for sharing your review about your recent vacation spent here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are pleased that you have enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer. We welcome you to visit us again in the future as it would be our pleasure to once more extend our warm hospitality. Until then, best wishes from our Palladium family.

3,577 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (941)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My family, (3 adults, 4 children, ages 12, 12, 5 & 2) stayed at The Grand Palladium from March 30 - April 6, 2013. The grounds are beautiful, SOME of the staff are helpful, the rooms & food are mediocre.
We initially planned to stay for 4 days but, we decided to extend our stay since the time became available. BIG MISTAKE!!!

We extended our vacation thru the Sunwing rep at the resort, we paid the $1586.00 that they requested for the 2 rooms. We then booked our flight home with another airline. About 3 hrs later we were informed by the front desk that there was a mistake & that we owed approx $800 more. Apparently, Sunwing had only charged us for one of our two rooms. We were told by GP that they would try to get a "voucher" from Sunwing. To make a very LONG story short, Sunwing refused to take responsibility for their mistake & The Grand Palladium kept harassing us to fix it with Sunwing.

Now, I do understand that we can not expect to stay for free at a resort. But, we were treated like criminals. We were called at least 4 times a day from Wed-Friday. We had to meet with the front desk manager, then we had a meeting with Jose Torres, the accommodations manager. He was rude & disrespectful towards my husband & myself. He told us to either fix it with Sunwing or leave the hotel. Ana, at the front desk basically had to beg Mr. Torres to give us a discounted rate in order for us to stay. We were harassed, embarrassed & stressed out!!

I do understand that we need to honour the hotel & pay for the mistake, even if it wasn't our fault. But, why couldn't The Grand Palladium offer us a better rate before harassing us for 3 days? Our kids had to sit & wait in the lobby every morning for 2-3 hrs while we tried to sort out the mess.

Aside from this situation, my rating for this resort is a 1 out of 5 for other reasons.
1. The restaurant wait staff was extremely slow & sometimes rude.
2. Tips are expected but, not appreciated by most.
3. The fridge in the rooms were stocked on occasion.
4. The floors in the rooms were always dirty.
5. The selection at the buffets, aside from a few choices barley changed.
6. Wifi connection was terrible. One of our rooms got connection only when my kids sat on the floor by the door.
7. The water temp in the shower constantly changed. It changed while giving my 2yr old a bath & he screamed because the water had gotten so hot.

I must say that Spence the night manager & Ana at the front desk were both very helpful with outstanding customer service.
I am not expecting a response from Mr. Jose Torres as that would have to include him saying that he is sorry for our situation & that he looks forward to welcoming us back soon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to express our point of view about the situation and make some comments about yours.

After you spend some days in conversation with Sunwing trying to extend your reservation unfortunately you never arrived to a solution, as they wanted to charge you some more money than what they originally informed you (maybe by their mistake?)

As your agency never wanted to take responsibility of your extension, the hotel asked you to pay us directly. Me or any of the hotel staff disrespected you or treated you in a bad way just the opposite. We charged you only the money you can afford to pay the rest of your stay. This discount was in order to avoid causing you some more inconveniences to your family and close the situation in the best way for all.

We don’t understand the reason of your extension when the hotels and its facilities where not up to your standards.

We are sorry to know that you left the property with such disappointment especially when we did our best helping you with the troubles you had with your agency.

Best regards

Jose Torres
Accommodations Manager
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

All right, here I am paying back to our TripAdvisor community and give some extra info about this resort.

For those who are new to all inclusive thing: Jamaica part and Lady Hamilton part
of this resort share the pools, beaches, restaurants, bars, etc.

It is definitely a family oriented resort. Not even many couples without children.

Check-in. Do not trust those "private blah-blah check-in" things. 30 families from your bus will be staying in this lane. Lobby got internet, so just get you gadget out and prepare to wait.

Where to live: to me the Jamaica part and the Lady Hamilton part looked from the outside exactly the same. Allthough Lady Hamilton has exclusive villas that are more expensive obviously. I would say that some rooms were a bit far away from the main facilities, but it is more quiet there too. I was scared to see that some rooms (not very many, but still) overlook the highway.

All main facilities are wheelchair accessible.

Water has been excellent at the end of March. Warm. Some beaches are rocky, but we have not investigated the main beach. Have seen nice yellow and blue fish while snorkeling.

There are couple of adults-only tiny pools with loud, and not so engaging music. We did not venture to spend much time there.

The main pool is huge and does have swim-up bar. No entertaining near the pool like zumba or belly dance classes is happening.

Evening shows. Well, the hotel has not been full while we were there, so the entertaining team
has obviously thought they they can save up the effort. So all the week we saw nothing but "ideal couple" thing when they ask guests of the hotel to the stage and make them doing different things. All people are different and may like different things, but I did not see many people watching those shows.

Miss Lou Bar. Hmmm.. The idea was to make it like a "gentlemen-British-club", but it has never worked out. I cannot point a specific flaw though, just did not want to be there, although analogous places at other resorts are my favorite spots.

Sport Bar. Food till late. Table soccer, three pool tables.

Food. I cannot agree with other reviewers that the Jerk chicken at the jerk Hut that is on the
sunset cove beach is the one to dye for. Just ok, soft chicken.
We got much better chicken in our local grocery store :)))) Food is ok, not particularly good, not
particularly bad.

A la carte: no reservations, you got to get a buzzer and wait. May be an hour or so.
Note: if you are a part of Palladium travel club, you get reservations.

Bhogali Restaurant: nice. It is beautifully situated. But wedding's dinners are very often happening at the nearby spot, and God... the music is so loud there. It is super loud!!
"Let me ... blah..let me blah.... let me ...." :) Actually I Iike that song. Cannot find it in the internet now. But why did it have to be SOOO loud. The waiter had a hard time to hear what we are ordering. The fun part is that in the Bhogali Restaurant they have been trying to switch on some classical music in parallel with wedding's madness :)

Lotus Restaurant: nice. They got some sushi and some modification of Beijing duck.
Again do not hope for anything fancy. But it is a nice change from the buffet dinners that serve pretty much the same food for breakfast, lunch and dinners.

Bubba and all others (have been in all of them) - ok. But I liked the Indian and the Asian the best.

My fav feature of this resort is the SPA. It is free to have your sauna and lazy river, and all those water pleasures.

Internet: free slow internet in the lobby. You can purchase expensive slow in-room internet too.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review which is based off your recent vacation spent here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We welcome the comments of our guests as it is your feedback which better assists us to improve the present product that we have.

We are pleased that you enjoyed snorkelling and lounging by the pools. It is unfortunate however that some aspects of our Resort was not to your liking.This includes some meals and your dining experience at some of our a la carte restaurants and also the entertainment package that we have. Although these aspects were not favoured by you, majority of our guests enjoy these same aspects. As it is our aim to please all our valued guests we will take corrective measure to ensure that these which were mentioned in your review will not recur.

We invite you too visit us again in the near future so you may experience the changes that will be made. It was our pleasure hosting you on this visit and we look forward to your future stay.

Best Wishes.
marlborough, ct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great place to travel with kids or couples! Had a ocen front room with goreous views!!! Nice beach and great pools!!! Definitely take the excursion to Rick's Cafe for cliff diving, a treat!!
Staff was very friendly and food was delicious! Loed the Japanses steak house!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for sharing with us your review based off your last vacation spent here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are grateful for your positive comments about our Resort. It is great that you loved the accommodations, the delicious meals which were had and our friendly team of ladies and gentlemen. We welcome you to visit us again in the near future so you may once more have a vacation nothing short of Grand!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I ditched the kids and spent a week near the end of march

Check in was a breeze not the friendliest reception but no issues either we were on the jamaica side in building 12 room 19 wow what a view second floor about 50 feet from the water 3rd floor might have been better but im not complaining at all and this is a central building which actually matters as this is a huge resort

The positive

Beautiful resort excellent servers and bartenders as well as the maintenance staff not sure why all the people are complaining about service we had no issues what so ever and the resort was pretty full

Grounds are clean and well maintained sunset beach is so nice and free watersport equipment (don't forget to bring $$ for a refundable deposit with on the equipment) the pool is huge good music a ton of chairs never had a problem getting a spot there are bars all over this resort and I can't say enough about the bar staff all of them were great we do tip these guys we are American and we tip waiters and bartenders regularly

Ok so the only one negative we don't eat a lot in vacation but the food really was sub par even we ate at most of the sit down places and they were all ok none were what I would call good but I live in nyc and we have some of the best food in the world so I'm spoiled the buffets were ok not bad but after a few days your hoping to get good food you will have to leave the resort

If you have any questions feel free to ask we had such a great time jamaica is wonderful and I've been all over the world the people are hustlers and will try to hustle you but if you smile and say no thank you I'm good that's that if your easily intimidated and don't look people in the face you might have issues

• Stayed March 2013
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experiences while here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We appreciate your positive comments and are very pleased that you enjoyed the beauty of the grounds, the pools and beautiful beaches that are on property and the water sport activities.

Being a five star Resort, we pride ourselves in the level of service that we offer to our guests. Thank you for your kind words about our team of ladies and gentlemen, they are indeed the friendliest set of people that you will meet.

We welcome you to visit again in the near future as it would be our pleasure to host you once more for a vacation nothing short of Grand.

Best Wishes.
North Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I want to first start by saying ignore the previous negative reviews posted.
My husband and I and our 3 children (6, 8 and 11 years old) returned on April 5th from a fabulous week vacation at the Grand Palladium. The staff was truly amazing!! We received "service with a smile" from the moment we arrived. We were immediately welcomed and check in was a breeze. We were assigned to building 14, 2nd floor with an ocean view. Our room was very comfortable and clean. We especially enjoyed sleeping with the slider door opened, listening to the ocean sounds. Our housekeeper Heather was wonderful. She left us robes, slippers and flower pedals on our pillows.
The grounds were immaculate and beautifully landscaped. The main pool was large and we were always able to find a spot to lounge. The palm trees and huts on the beach give the true Carribean feeling. (Although beaches in Negril are larger and more beautiful , we were there in 2005)) My kids were given coconuts from the trees that the staff carved a hole in. Our kids used them for their sodas. They loved that!
The buffets were delicious! There was something for everyone. Carving stations, pasta stations, omlette stations, fresh fruit smoothies, salad bar you name it! For lunch we enjoed the jerk hut. Delicious jerk chicken and paella. We ate at the Mexican restaurant one night and our last night we celebrated my neices birthday at the steak house. The staff went above and beyond to make the birthday girl feel special. The service was superb. Nighly shows were also entertaining. The dancers were beautiful and very talented!
I can honestly say we had a wonderful experience at the Grand Palladium. We would definitely recommend to friends and family. We are sure to return one day. Oh, and while you are there, go and swim with the dolphins. This excursion is a short bus ride and a fun morning for all. My kids got dolphin belly rides and kisses from them too! It was great fun.
We thank the staff for your service. We are very pleased and will remember this trip for years to come. :) The Alexander Family

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear suburbianmommy,

Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your review. We are always grateful to receive feedback about our staff as we work assiduously to assure our guests have memorable vacation experiences.

It is a pleasure to have had the opportunity of hosting you.
We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Assuring you our best care and attention at all time, we remain.

Best Regards,

Laura López
Assistant Room Division Director
Champaign
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Firstly we had a great holiday and the resort is beautiful. If you follow the following tips you will have a great vacation.
1. Take about $30/day in one dollar bills because everyone expects to be tipped no matter where you are
2. Expect to have a terrible check in experience. The front desk staff in general are the worst staff in the whole resort and are the face of the resort. Roberto if you fix the attitude of the front desk staff you will see a major jump in customer sat.
3. If you have an issue in your room like safe broken or minibar not restocked, make sure you call at least every hour because it rarely gets fixed
4. Dont look at the bottom of the beautiful pool because its rarely cleaned properly. The top of the pool is polished daily but I saw the same dirt, hair and muck around where we sat for the 4 days we were at the pool

We found the food very reasonable and tasty. really no issues here and as expected
We also found the bar staff very friendly and nice but be ready to tip

It really is a nice resort.. Clean up your staff attitude and it could be outstanding

Stayed April 2013
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear Martin M,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to describe your last vacation in Grand Palladium Jamaica.

In reference your comments about our front desk staff, I would like to apologize for the experience that you had with them. We will take actions to improve our service in that area. We take our guest’s comments very seriously.

I would appreciate hearing from you before you make your next plans to return to Jamaica if you decide to come back here. I am positive that we can make your next vacation an unforgettable experience.

Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end.
Thank you for your attention.

Laura López
Assistant Room Division Director

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!