“Great Resort poor customer service” 2 of 5 stars

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   The Point, Lucea, Jamaica   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Lucea
Champaign
“Great Resort poor customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Firstly we had a great holiday and the resort is beautiful. If you follow the following tips you will have a great vacation.
1. Take about $30/day in one dollar bills because everyone expects to be tipped no matter where you are
2. Expect to have a terrible check in experience. The front desk staff in general are the worst staff in the whole resort and are the face of the resort. Roberto if you fix the attitude of the front desk staff you will see a major jump in customer sat.
3. If you have an issue in your room like safe broken or minibar not restocked, make sure you call at least every hour because it rarely gets fixed
4. Dont look at the bottom of the beautiful pool because its rarely cleaned properly. The top of the pool is polished daily but I saw the same dirt, hair and muck around where we sat for the 4 days we were at the pool

We found the food very reasonable and tasty. really no issues here and as expected
We also found the bar staff very friendly and nice but be ready to tip

It really is a nice resort.. Clean up your staff attitude and it could be outstanding

Stayed April 2013
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear Martin M,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to describe your last vacation in Grand Palladium Jamaica.

In reference your comments about our front desk staff, I would like to apologize for the experience that you had with them. We will take actions to improve our service in that area. We take our guest’s comments very seriously.

I would appreciate hearing from you before you make your next plans to return to Jamaica if you decide to come back here. I am positive that we can make your next vacation an unforgettable experience.

Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end.
Thank you for your attention.

Laura López
Assistant Room Division Director

3,647 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (967)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

I just returned last night from a 6 night stay at the Grand Palladium. Everything was perfect from the check in to the rooms. The beds were firm and there were extra pillows in the closet. AC worked fabulous but as most said you have to keep your room key in it to work. Food was great! I loved eating breakfast at the blue lagoon overlooking the pool and the ocean every morning. We went to the jerk but at sunset cove once very good chicken and the beach is beautiful. We also ate 3 times at Bubbas steakhouse. My husband eats a lot so he ordered his steak with a rack of lambs and they accommodated his requests. No problem! We tried the Asian, creole and Poseidon for seafood & a great sunset our last night. Everything was great. I can't figure out why so many complain. No one asked for tips but leaving five dollars after great service at the dinners was highly appreciated. You would tip way more in the states at a diner so show a little respect. Most employees were super friendly and just a few were miserable like anywhere you go. Our mini fridge was stocked daily. We left a note and two dollars a day with a request for more diet coke, water etc. They had no problem leaving what we asked for. I guess the food can get boring if you only eat at the buffets. We left to go to the restaurants at 5:30 the earliest they open. The longest we ever had to wait was 45 minutes out first night. If you want a table fast get in early. The slackers were often the ones who complained about the reservation system and the waits. Drinks were plentiful but a dollar here and there never hurts. If you go expecting the world you will be disappointed. Only improvement I would suggest is better desserts and better food at the sports bar. Other than that everything was over the top. Carrie at the sports bar best bartender. He made my husband and I flaming Bob Marley shots! Go relax and leave your sense of entitlement home. :)

• Stayed March 2013
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Greetings!

Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us the wonderful experiences both you and your husband have had throughout your stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica.

We are very pleased to know that you have enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer. From the luxury of your room and the delicious meals which were had, to the relaxed atmosphere by the beach. it is also great that you were pleased with the level of service which you received as our team works hard to assure that our guests are satisfied.

We would be delighted to have you stay with us again in the near future as it was our pleasure hosting you on this visit.

Best Wishes.
Timisoara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We were here on our honeymoon and it was really great. I had read also the reviews on the site and I can say that people are different. in case you are used to top luxury, you may find some things to improve, otherwise it is ok, really ok - and I am used to being pampered...
We rented a bungalow, it was great (again this word, I know...:) it was by the water, we had a shower outside which was really something. We were greeted with fruit basket and flowers on the bed, cleaning lady was doing a good job.
Activities were organized all day long in the resort. You could join dance classes, fitness practice in the swimming pool, each evening a nice show with the same dancers which were teaching you during the day, there was a club at night (mostly teens, but nobody minded us). You could go on trips, you could pick where you want to eat out of the 14 restaurants, you could get something to eat or drink at any hour.
Overall a great experience, a good and fun way to relax. definetly worth it!

Room Tip: Bungalow first floor is great, you have a very nice view of the sunsets and sunrises.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Jesse_TM_RO,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review.We are pleased that your vacation with us was a great one.

We are elated that you loved your room and it's amenities. It is good that you enjoyed the daily activities by the main pool and also the nightly entertainment.

We welcome you to visit again in the near future as it would be our pleasure hosting you once more. Until then best wishes from our Palladium family!
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Most employees were rude and acted like it was a bother to wait on you. Service was terrible. Buffets were marginal and tasteless; It was almost impossible to get in a specialty restaurant. After an hour wait, it took another three hours to complete the meal. While many people waited outside, half the tables inside were not being used. The air conditioner in all three rooms never worked correctly and even though they were turned all the way down, it never cooled off. Response to complaints did not correct the problem. One room could never get the mini-bar restocked while we were there and had difficulty getting replacement bath towels after they took the dirty ones. Pool towels were difficult to get and all they would say is "no clean towels", even at 8:00 a.m. Holding a tip in your hand would get you quicker service than without but even then there was no appreciation. The buffet staff was the only staff we saw the entire time that was woking hard, however the omlette cooks acted like the bar tenders. You would think you were asking for their first born when you asked for an omlette.

I am not one of those travelers that cannot be pleased. After 4 trips to 4 different all-inclusives in Mexico, I can truely say- don't go. All 4 trips to the Riviera Maya area were significantly better!

Room Tip: Choose another location. The resort, beach, and pool, were nice but service, food, and lack of AC r...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We regret to hear that you felt a bad attitude from the staff. Despite our staff is continuously congratulated on their work by many customers your feedback is very helpful to us in evaluating our service and we will certainly be looking into the observations which you have made with a view to taking corrective action.

Concerning our restaurants a la carte, we have the system “first come first served” with no reservations, to offer more possibilities to our guests, when the restaurant is full we give a pager and we call as soon as a table is liberated, so the costumer is free to be at the bar, lobby or other places until a table is ready, sorry if you had to wait so long. It is possible that were some tables available when people were waiting probably they were reserved for our Palladium Travel Club members.

We apologize for the inconveniences with the beach towels, for your information this has been already improved.

We hope that despite these negative issues which you have outlined, you will give us another opportunity to serve you and show you our usual flawless service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,

Jose Torres
Accommodations Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Had a wonderful vacation during the last week of March. I had NO complaints about the cleanliness of the resort, I found it to be spotless. Our room was always cleaned and replenished by the time we returned to get ready for an early dinner. There were 3 of us, and generally housekeeping gave us 2 towels, but we made do. No big deal and that was our biggest issue.
As for the restaurants, we did not love the steak restaurant, but thoroughly enjoyed the Italian, Mexican and Seafood restaurants. If you go early, no wait. Later in the evening, there can be a wait but we had a buzzer and enjoyed some drinks at the Infinity bar.
The drinks are good and strong. We followed other reviewers advice and brought water bottles, this was very
convenient.
At no point did I feel that anyone pressured me or even expected a tip, but we chose to tip for good service. The economy there is terrible and we were pleased to help those who are hard workers.
We did go on 2 excursions- Dunns River with Secret Falls and Mystic Mountain. Both fun, I personally loved the zip line at Mystic Mountain, but climbing the waterfalls was a worthwhile experience and I am glad that I did it. Keep in mind, the excursions are in Ochos Rios, a 2 hour drive. If you are looking for excursions, I would not necessarily stay at this resort. You can book excursions in the lobby.
The Spa was nice, we had a nice couples massage. It is expensive. You can use the saunas and hot tubs for free, and kids are allowed in the pool in front of the spa. We took turns in the hot tub while my daughter stayed with the other parent in that pool.
The resort has lots of options, but it is not too big to get around just by walking. There are carts to drive you where you need to go, but we found them unnecessary.
Overall, a nice vacation.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent vacation spent here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica.

It is pleasing to read about all the wonderful experiences you had throughout your stay and are grateful for your positive comments.

We are elated knowing you enjoyed the facilities and that you were pleased with the level of service received. You also loved the delicious meals served at the a la carte restaurants, the Italian being your favourite. It is also great that you fully enjoyed your excursions.

We would love to be given the opportunity of hosting your family for another Grand vacation. It was our pleasure hosting you.

Best Wishes.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

What a fantastic place!

Firstly I apologize for taking so long to leave a review, I holidayed (honeymooned) at the Grand Palladium for 10 nights starting on 16th January. To be honest what made me write a review was my shock at the previous reviews mainly by Maxim S and Lisa T! It is quite clear that some people do no research before booking a holiday, this was not the case with me and my wife.

For Maxim S however it seems they wanted a standard hotel block where they did not have to move a muscle for the entire stay, it doesn't take much research to understand that the Grand Palladium is different, it feels almost like its own village which to us and many people was an amazing bonus. By looking at the pictures you can easily tell that it may be a slight (but pleasurable) walk to the Restaurants and different areas of the hotel. When we stayed there was hardly any wait at any restaurant and the food was always very good. This is never a budget 2.5 star hotel, I am amazed people can suggest that it is.

Perhaps my favorite part of Maxim S review - Check in was the worst one I had in my life. I gave the girl $50 tip thinking that she will take care of me – she just ripped me off and checked me in as everyone else.

So obviously thinking that by handing the girl $50 you are then more important than "everyone else" Perhaps if you were just polite and waited in line like everyone else then you would have been looked after properly.

If you are lazy and fancy nothing other than sitting by the pool while staff attend your every need then maybe this is not the hotel for you. If you appreciate the scenery and a set up where everyone has there own space then this hotel is perfect.

No Elevators? Obviously 2 small flights of very small stairs are too much for you?

The hotel staff were always friendly and polite - only praise for these people.

I think ill be back to write another review which isn't aimed at responding to other peoples reviews, however I wanted people to realize that the reviews are pathetic!

Paul & Cath

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are nice - however the first room we had was opposite the gym facing the road and w...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We are more than happy to know you have had such a fantastic vacation with us. We are always grateful to receive a positive feedback about our hotel and services as we work very hard to assure our guests have memorable vacation experiences.

It is a pleasure to have had the opportunity of hosting you. We look forward to seeing you in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any upcoming visit to Palladium...

Best regards

Jose Torres
Accommodations Manager
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

After reading the reviews I gave this place a try. I thought maybe some of the poor reviews were picky people. Boy was I wrong. We stayed in building 17. This room needed major repairs!! There were places in the sheet rock covered by the curtains, blankets( all of them) had stains on them, the ceiling in the bathroom leaked from above, the vents were rusted and falling out. We has wash cloths upon arrival, when they were dirty we were told they had no more. There were ants in the room, we all left with ant bites. The marble floor was very dirty. The food was disgusting. We chose to go to the buffet every meal because you could pick what you wanted by how it looked. The restaurants were all very disappointing and required a long wait. The best food is at the jerk hut is is only grilled chicken and rice that has seafood in it. The beaches and pool were nice but dirty. The people that work the gathering areas are what makes the place . They remember you and get you to participate in things . They were all a lot of fun. That is the only positive comment I can make. The property was gorgeous at one point, they have not kept up major repairs so things are run down. I even had to eat breakfast one morning with a hole in the ceiling with a stained sheet nailed up with black nails. Not appealing!!! Will not be going back here!!!!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Lisa T,

We would like to thank you for taking the time in giving us your valued feedback in regards to your experience. We appreciate that you have taken the time to advise us of your opinion.

The Management and Staff at Palladium Jamaica are committed to satisfy our guests and we sincerely regret if the circumstances mentioned may have affected your vacation experience and your perception of our hotel.

We regret to hear about your dissatisfaction with the food as we try to fulfil the expectations of several nationalities with 3 buffets offering international theme nights and 7 a la carte with different specialities.

Kindly accept our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences which you experienced in your room. We would like to assure you that we have taken the corrective measures to minimize the re occurrence.

We would like to welcome you back and have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Laura López
Assistant Room Division Director

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!