“Best Bar Staff in the Country!” 4 of 5 stars

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   The Point, Lucea, Jamaica   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Pgh
“Best Bar Staff in the Country!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Just returned from my 4th stay at the Palladium. Unfortunately this trip my mom and I decided to split up. 4 nights at the Riu Club and 3 nights at the Palladium. I wish we had been able to stay at the Palladium the entire time! There is no comparing the staff as far as I am concerned. Being return customers, the staff recognizes you and welcomes you with hugs and warmth. The bar staff ALWAYS seems like they are having a good time and enjoying their job (even if they may not be). Please show them you appreciate them. A few dollars goes a loooong way in Jamaica! I was so happy to see that Kamar (a former bartender) has been promoted to a supervisor! This was a well deserved promotion for him. Since our first trip in 2010 he has always been professional and that bright smile never leaves his face. Thanks Kamar for helping to ensure we had another great time in Jamaica! Please let ALL of your staff know that April and Tera love and appreciate their hard work!

Whatever management changes that have been made seem to be for the better. We noticed the front desk seems much more organized, breakfast staff seems friendlier and overall it just seems to be running smoother since our last visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Pgh Tera,

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful review about you recent stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are happy that we were again able to provide you with another memorable vacation nothing short of Grand.

We will be sure to pass your kind words to Kemar and also our wonderful team of ladies and gentlemen as it will mean a lot to them.Our team is indeed hard working and will do all that they can to assure that our guests are having a good stay, we are happy that you appreciated all their efforts.

We look forward to hosting you again in the future. Until then, best wishes from your Palladium family.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,167)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Endicott, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Our first impression of the hotel was not that good. When we arrived and checked in we were not given a Ocean view room as we had booked through EXPEDIA! I even called expedia to verify my room prior to booking. The hotel says expedia does not have the authority to give out Ocean view or ocean front rooms. The tried to say for $15 more/day I could have an ocean front room. After 20 minutes of arguing I got the ocean front room with no additional charge. Room and view were very nice. Staff was OK. I did not like being asked by many of the staff especially the lawn care and room towel staff if I needed "ANYTHING" I mean "ANYTHING" (drugs etc). The food was good but you can not make a reservation unless you are a party of 8 or more. Had to wait almost 1.5 hours for a table one night at the Italian restaurant for just 2 people. They were not skimpy on the booze that was a good thing! The ocean was beautiful, Pool was a little on the cold side. Our balcony light was out and the ice maker did not work in our villa. Maintenance people seem to walk around a lot but did not fix anything. Staff could have been a little more helpful/organized when you first arrive to show you around this enormous resort and explain were everything is Overall I would give the hotel a rating of a 2.5 - 3 out of 5 and would have to think twice before booking again here. Was expecting more for the price I paid for what was sold to me as a 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a ocean villa The ones in the back are blocked for good view.
Springfield, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My wife and I were looking to get away to Jamaica, so we booked this trip and decided on the Grand Palladium because we wanted a resort neither of us had stayed before (my 11th trip to Jamaica, and her 3rd). After purchasing the trip (for a great value), we decided to do a little research. After reading some of the reviews we honestly wondered if we had made a mistake, but there was no turning back. When we arrived at the Grand Palladium we were pleasantly surprised from minute one! We were promptly greeted with a rum punch and escorted over to the check-in desk. Our room was already ready and check-in took maybe five minutes total. We filled out a quick form, were given a quick overview of the resort via a map, and escorted to our rooms. So far, so good!

ROOM: Our room was honestly not the nicest room I've stayed in while in Jamaica (RIU Ocho Rios wins that award), but in no way was it a bad room. The room was very spacious with a separate seating area. The bathroom was also very spacious with a large shower and a separate jacuzzi tub. Our balcony was large with two chairs and a table. One of our favorite features was the installed drying rack for suits and towels. Yes, the pillows could use an upgrade, so that would probably be our one negative mark as far as the room is concerned.

POOLS, BEACHES, and SPA: Since we had been to Jamaica so many times, we did not book a ton of excursions. We did go Ziplining with the Jamaican Zipline Adventure tour and had a wonderful time. Most of our week was spent with new friends we had made at one of the many pools or beaches. We would usually start our day with a short stroll to the Coral pool and beach area. We liked this area because it is "Adults Only", so it's usually very quiet. The Coral Pool also has its own bar as well. Yes, the Coral Beach had a few rocks, but nothing that keeps you from enjoying the beach or Caribbean. I actually give two thumbs up to the Palladium staff for keeping some of Jamaica's natural beauty for us all to enjoy! If you want a totally rock/coral free experience, head over to Sunset Cove (also where the Jerk Hut is located). When we were ready to go into "party mode" we would head over to the main pool and swim-up bar. I would like to give a big thanks to Martin, Alex, and Caloney (bartenders) for always making sure we had a cold beverage in hand when we were at the swim up bar! We would like to give another thanks to Sean and Glen (bartenders) for being so friendly and polite! Sometimes we would stay close to our villa and head right across the walkway to the Roselle Pool. If you are looking for a quiet, peaceful day, this is it! Although you aren't blessed with a view of the sea, you do have Jamaica's beautiful vegetation to look at. This pool was never busy, so you could always find the perfect spot. And yes, the Roselle Pool also has its own bar as well. If you are truly looking for a relaxing experience, head over to the spa pool area (free of charge)! There you will find a regular pool, a slightly heated pool, and two hot tubs. There are also saunas and massage showers for you to relax in. This area is almost completely shaded and "Adults Only", so it was a great place to relax! We did use the spa for treatments, and it was a great experience. My wife and I found the prices to be very reasonable as well. I had an 80 minute relaxation massage with Judith, and it was amazing! Unfortunately my wife was kissed by the sun, so she had to skip her massage and go with the after sun treatment. She said it almost instantly took the sting out of her burn. The staff at the spa was very welcoming, and the spa area itself was clean and inviting. We highly recommend you pamper yourself a bit at the Grand Palladium Spa!

RESTAURANTS: We would change it up every morning between the main buffet and the Blue Lagoon buffet, mainly for scenery purposes. The Blue Lagoon buffet overlooks the main pool and Caribbean, so the view is hard to beat. The Blue Lagoon buffet is also open for lunch. We only ate at the dinner buffet once, but we wish we hadn’t missed the Jamaican themed night (I’m a big fan of Jamaican food). I highly recommend a trip to the jerk hut at Sunset Cove for some lunch! As far as the a la carte restaurants, we hit them all with the exception of the Italian and Mexican. Because we were so impressed, we visited the Asian restaurant twice! The food was great and we didn’t wait very long at all, except at Poseidon (Seafood restaurant at Sunset Cove). The food was presented in a nice way and the staff was always right on top of your every need. My only gripe, and this isn’t a Grand Palladium gripe as it’s standard with all resorts, is please put an end to the “Men wearing pants” to dinner rule! I know I can’t speak for everyone, but I personally do not want to wear long pants when I’m on a tropical island. Maybe it’s because I get hot easily, but I hate having to run back to the room to change after dinner because I’m miserable due to the temp and humidity. I personally think it’s ok to allow men to wear nice shorts and a collared shirt to dinner and still keep with the formality. After all, we are on vacation!

OVERALL: I’m not sure where all the complaining is coming from. We found the resort grounds beautiful, the staff friendly and helpful, and the food very appetizing. By the end of our week we were glad we had vacationed at the Grand Palladium, and as usual, didn’t want to leave. In our future travels to Jamaica we would like to visit an “Adults Only” resort as we are not parents, but the Grand Palladium was not overrun with children as we have experienced at other resorts. So, if you are looking for a resort without a lot of kid distraction that isn’t Couples or Sandals, the Grand Palladium is a great option. The “Adults Only” areas and the resorts size helps out with this tremendously! We have no reservations about spending another vacation at the Grand Palladium in the future. Thanks to all the staff who helped make our vacation wonderful!

Room Tip: Request Villa 11 with an ocean view! Villa 11 is the closest to the main pool, lobby, and restauran...
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I just returned from the GP & I had a blast,I couldn't ask for better customer service,the grounds were beautiful,I loved the pool & the beach, everyone was so friendly,but this resort could use some serious improvement,the rooms had a bit of a old moldy smell,the bathrooms are huge but the one we had,water flooded the floor because the shower door has no seal,there was no place to put your soap or shampoo because the holder was barely attached to the wall,(a screw was missing) another issue was the food...breakfast was ok but dinner was just average..that being said..I totally recommend staying at this resort, the people are so nice & it's very kid friendly..& contrary to what some of the reviewers say...no one is trying to sell you weed...(in my case a lil disappointed)
If they modernized this resort & fix the plumbing it will easily be a 5 star...
But for now it's a 3.5

• Stayed March 2013
Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Just returned from the Grand Palladium. We had a great time, met lots of very nice people. The resort is extremely large. However, it manages to create enough private areas that you don't feel that you are surrounded with people. The food was fairly good, considering the size of the resort. It would have been nice to have at least one heated pool though, the water was very cold and uncomfortable. Regarding the staff.... the front desk were extremenly unhelpful!! Not interested in dealing with even a basic request. However, Dominic was very helpful on one occasion but not Renee.

They staged a beach party which had the potential to be great but the entertainment staff were too busy being self indulgent and not enough of their time was allocated in entertaining the guests!! I found this to be the case several times. When bingo etc was on offer, the staff were just going through the motions and to be honest not really interested!!
Overall, we had a good time though. The people we were fortunate to meet really made the holiday, so hi to the bride and groom (if they're reading this!!) Jeff and Angie, and Groomsman Blake - you helped make it a great vacation.

Perhaps we will return sometime and hopefully get the same room, which I have to say was lovely. Had an ocean view!!
One more thing - we had a very noisy neighbour who played really loud music at 1.30am. It was dealt with quickly and we had no more problems, so thank you for that.

Room Tip: Opt for building 11 or 12 - Ocean views
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Mary N,

Thank you for sharing with us your review. We are elated that you have had an overall good stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are grateful for your positive comments about the property and the meals which you had.

We must apologize for any inconvenience which may have been experienced due to you not being assisted promptly at the Front Desk. It is however pleasing to know that Dominic's assistance helped with your requests.

We welcome you to visit in the near future so you may have a better experience in all areas of the Resort. It was our pleasure hosting you on this visit.

Best Wishes.
rochester,ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is a large resort with many restaurants, bars and a small casino. It is approx 30 minutes from montego bay airport. Good place to stay if you want to stay in the resort and enjoy pool and beach. Not within walking distance to anything but went with a group of girls and wanted to have a large resort where we didnt have to leave if we didnt want to. We did hire a driver to take us out for the afternoon one day and went to ricks cafe (very fun) and margaritaville wich are in negril. Food was very good, small beaches, large pool. Roms were very nice each with balcony. A lot of walking but they do have golf cart shuttles for rides also.

Room Tip: Some rooms are further away but are quieter. I would ask to be near large pool close to everything.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dear dross-7,

Thank you for sharing with us your review based off your recent stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are happy to know that your stay with us was an enjoyable one. It is great that you loved the accommodations, the pools and the beautiful private beaches. We would love to host you again in the future as it was our pleasure having you on this visit.

Best Wishes.
Swartz Creek, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The resort shares common areas with Grand Palladiium Lady Hamilton. The food at the buffet was always cold. Beverage service at the buffet was slow. The al carte restaurants were good, food was always presented well, temp was hot, beverage service mediocre. The lay out of the resort was pretty good, except the jerk chicken shack and the seafood restaurant were way at the edge of the property (long walk if staying on jamaica resort of property). The pools are plentiful and always had enough chaise loungers and shaded areas. You have to go up to the bar yourself while in the pool area. The alcohol was plentiful, they never skimped in the drinks. Several times had to get more mix, due to drinks being too strong. They do have some higher quality liquor available (Johnny Walker, Skky, Smirnoff Red Label, Tangeray, and a few others). The only beer available is Red Stripe (bottles in the minibar, tap at the bars/restaurants). The resort could be cleaner. The lobby area of the hotel always had sticky tables. They would remove used glasses, but didn't seem to ever wipe the tables. The room was large and comfortable. Minibar in room, suppose to be restocked everyday. Had to track down our maid once to get bar refilled. Entire staff was friendly, everyone always acknowledges you and says hello. Entertainment staff provided good shows, did a good job of getting people involved. Free Wifi worked sporadically in the lobby only. You could purchase wifi if you wanted, where they would provide you a password and put you on a different network. The resort is located between Montego Bay and Negril, day trips are available if you want to go either place. The property has a few beaches that are in protected coves. The main beach they have constructed a break wall. The main beach is sandy, the other ones were rocky. If you want good beaches Negril has the best in Jamaica.

Room Tip: No elevators in villas, so if you have trouble with stairs ask for a ground level. Bldg 12 was clos...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!