“January stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Ohio City, Ohio
“January stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

As they say, you get what you pay for....Not the nicest resort I have been too but certainly not the worst. The bed was like sleeping on a piece of plywood but rooms were always clean and well stocked. View was pretty but not much beach and lots of kids there which was fine.
Pool water was very cold and no waiter around the pool. Food was ok, not great!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (991)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We arrived home from this resort just this morning. Before going I read recent reviews and honestly worried I'd chosen the wrong resort. I was stressed all the way there. So I wanted to add my 2 cents worth so you don't read the same reviews and worry like I did.
I do agree the front desk staff were not very accomodating or friendly. I did not see them smile at anyone all week. We booked our trip 6 months ago requesting oceanview room (we went with my sister and her hubby) and 2 rooms next to one another. We got neither but after several requests finally got my sister the room next to us. When we arrived to our room, the mini bar was empty and it took about an hour after our request for anyone to show up but soon learned "everything is on Jamaica time" here which means slow and relaxed. When he did arrive he could not have been nicer or more accomodating. That is just their nature. Aside from the front desk, all staff from servers, to bar tenders, the spa staff (which is a little pricey but beautiful) and the room service was exceptionally friendly. They always brought a smile.
No one ever entered our room without knocking and waiting for a response. Once in your room, there is a chain and a deadbolt on the door, as well as the red do not disturb sign. We never ever felt unsafe. The only place we were ever asked about drugs was at Margaritaville and Ricks cafe on an excursion, never on the resort. All staff was extremely friendly and warm.
The food was great at the a la cartes. The buffet's had everything you could want for breakfast from made to order omelets, pancakes, eggs, bacon, french toast, hot cakes and fruit and lunch and dinner also had a wide variety of options from cheeseburgers and hotdogs to chicken cooked various ways, several rice options, many desserts and the fav at every meal seemed to be the soft serve ice cream which you could add several toppings to. As a matter of fact, my sister has celiac's disorder and the chefs came out to assure her her food would be prepared correctly and if they didn't have something they'd make it for her. Several A la cartes made her her own dessert. Consequently dining was always a positive experience.
The pool is pristine and amazing. Jacuzzi's in the pool do not work and they would be a nice addition if they did. Chairs are in abundance so you never have to worry about finding a seat.
We spent a lot of evening time at the Infinity bar either enjoying the entertainment, like the White Party, and the Pastry Party, while enjoying a few drinks. Rum cream on the rocks became a favorite. Again, every server chatted with you always with a smile and sense of humor.
The only reason I'd give this resort 4 out of 5 is this is a HUGE resort encompassing the Grand Palladium Jamaica and the Lady Hamilton Grand Palladium. The nicest beaches are on the Lady Hamilton side, the spa is on that side, the theater (great family shows, fun entertainment for all), is over there as are the two beach huts for snacking.....the Jerk Chicken Hut and another that has hamburgers, hot dogs etc. If we wanted any of that it was a very long walk. It would be nice if the Jamaica side put something like that on it's side, or even near the pool so people can grab a bite without going too far away from their swimming spot.
It is very easy to see why this resort earns its five star rating. It is absolutely beautiful. It is huge with lots of walking, and lots of stairs but you can call for a ride to get almost anywhere within the resort. The rooms are huge, large sitting area, king beds, large bathroom with jacuzzi tub and a large shower stall. We did find leaving a dollar in our minifridge ensured it would be refilled.
This resort seems to always be trying to make things better. As we were leaving, they were putting solar panels on the roof of our building.
We stayed in building 25 which was a 5 minute walk to the pool, most restaurants, main lobby and shops. It does not have an oceanview but we did spend many late nights on our balcony admiring the view, and maybe sipping a rum cream. Building 11 and 12 would be closest with the ocean view rooms.
Only issues we ever had is upon arrival our phone in the room did not work and it took 3 calls to the desk, asking our Air Transat rep for help and finally on day 4 the service manager had to come into our room to inspect it before putting up the solar panels and we told him. Had a working phone within an hour. Also we brought our computer along to keep in touch with our kids, and wifi is only free in the lobby. We asked about in our room and were told $20/day...ouch no thanks. While flipping through the customer service book at their desk, there was a page about wifi. Not only was it $20/day but you also could rent by the half hour or hour, but also it could be purchased inroom for $20/day, $50 for 4 days or $70 for 7 days. Unfortunately by then we only had 3 days left but we purchased the 4 day package. It was very very hard to get a connection in our room. Ususally we had to get a connection from the balcony then go into the room.....sometimes it was hours before we could get a connection. We were told by other vacationers that wifi does not work in the top floor rooms. So be forwarned, it can be a bad purchase. They also tell you you can purchase it online from you room but they don't tell you the 4 day rate isn't on there. They definitely try and get you to pay $20\day as they never give you any other option until they realize you know.
Lastly, if you are a beach lover, there is very little of it here. A small lagoon type man made beach, otherwise lots of beauty in the waves crashing up on rocks. There also is a warning to shuffle your feet when entering the water as stingrays like to bury themselves in the sand and they don't like to be stepped on. But what the beach lacks, the "largest pool in Jamaica" makes up for. Never overcrowded as it is so large. Beautiful pool!!!
Remember when going to Jamaica it is a very laid back culture. Leave your stress on the plane and you will have a wonderful trip!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Halifax
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My wife and I booked our trip to Jamaica back in October and were excited to get away for a nice relaxing vacation, we have been to other all inclusive resorts but never in Jamaica. I have read a lot of reviews about Grand Palladium, some good and some bad, and had also talked to several friends who had been there. Our 7 days there were exactly what we were looking for: suns, relaxing, drinks and great food. Our room was very nice and spacious with an amazing view of the ocean and the large pool and bar area. We were kind of central walking distance to everything. I have read that people complain about the long walks from place to place which seems ridiculous because nothing seemed more then 5 minutes away. Also if you don't want to walk that far then why are you booking your vacation at a large resort??? Anyways, as I said our room was great, always clean, and the fridge was always stocked. We ate our breakfasts in the buffet and either ate at the snack bar by sunset cove or at the Jerk Chicken hut, which has some of the best chicken I have ever tasted. This was handy because we spent all but one day down at Sunset Cove. It was easily the nicest of the beaches, warm water and not as loud, busy or windy as it was around the main pool. At the beach you also have access to snorkeling equipment, kayaking, paddle boats, wind surfing and catamarans. We did some kayaking and snorkeling but that was a adventurous as we got. The one morning we went out kayaking early on the calm water and not far out three dolphins surfaced right beside our boat. What an incredible sight!!! We ate all of our meals at the a la cart restaurants. With our trip we were lucky to have reservations included so we could book those during the week so we didn't have to wait in line at the restaurants. This was a huge advantage!! If you are unable to get this I would suggest either going early or later for dinner because they are very busy between the hours of 6-8. We ate at the Asian, Steak, Jamaican, Italian and Seafood restaurants. They were all very good except for the Asian. We actually went back to the steak house twice because it was so good.

The only complaint that I would have about this resort would the service. At times it can be very slow and you might need to remind people about the drink that you ordered. But I was told before we went from friends to expect this because it is just the culture, as they say they run on "Jamacia Time", yeah mon!!!

All in all it was a great trip and I would recommend this resort to anyone!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Greetings Geoff Y,

Thank you for sharing with us your review. We are elated that we were able to meet your expectations of having a relaxing vacation, enjoying the warm sunshine while having delicious meals and drinks.

We are pleased that you enjoyed lounging by the Sunset Cove beach and the activities which were offered here. You too, like majority of our guests have fell in love with the delicious jerk chicken served at the Jerk Hut. We are sorry to hear that the Asian restaurant was not to your liking, we are however pleased that you enjoyed the meals at the Bubbas, Xaymaica, Reggaetoni and Poseidon restaurants.

It was our pleasure hosting you on this visit and we would love to have you stay with us again in the future.

Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

This trip was a post poned honeymoon for my husband and I. It was also a babymoon because I was 5 months pregnant. After reading a few of the harsh reviews, we were a little skeptical. Especially because it was our first time to the Caribbean and we weren't sure what to expect. I booked through Expedia and one piece of advice I would have is make sure you bring your printed itinerary. We didn't because I had it saved to my email on my phone, and assumed I would be able to access it. I was very wrong. There's not a lot of free wifi at the airport. Needless to say, it didn't become a huge issue, but your better off just printing it out and bringing it along.

The hotel itself is just like the name - Grand! It was absolutely beautiful. The villa our room was in was very clean, quiet, and well maintained. Our room was also very clean. The maid service cleaned everyday along with restocking our fridge with water, soda and beer (for my husband if course). My husband loved the rum beverages he got to drink, and I even got to partake in some virgin Miami vices that were delish! Buy yourself a souvenir mug from the gift shop and they will fill it with whatever you want, all day and night! The food was great. We went to the buffets for breakfast and lunch, and did an al carte for dinner. The food all tasted good, and the staff were very friendly. The pool and the beaches were gorgeous and sooo relaxing. My husband has a stressful job so we really needed some r-n-r. It was hard to pry me away from the beaches and pool. I was laying out at the pool up until we had to leave for the airport! We didn't get to do any of the water sport activities, or other activities by the pool because we just wanted to relax but we enjoyed watching everyone else. The staff running the activities were all very friendly and animated. They looked like they were doing an excellent job while having fun themselves. We had heard we shouldn't do any of the bus tours - to take a taxi wherever we wanted to go. But being that it was our first time on the island we decided to do a shopping and Rick's Cafe tour to Negril through the hotel. It was perfect! We got to see the flea market, got souvenirs from the mall, and enjoyed the sunset at Rick's Cafe. We were back to the resort in time for dinner.

Our trip to Grand Palladium was one my husband and I will never forget. We really fell in love with Jamaica because our stay was so wonderful. We also fell in love with each other all over again and I think our stay at Grand Palladium had something to do with that :)

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Angela G,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based on your recent vacation here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. Reading your review has put a smile on my face as I am happy that you and your husband have had such a memorable stay with us. Being a 5 Star Resort, we pride ourselves in the level of service and the product which we provide to you our valued guests.

It is wonderful that you enjoyed the delicious meals which you had and also the drink mixes served at the bars.We are happy that you both got to relax and what better place to do so than at our grand pool and beautiful private beaches, we are happy that you enjoyed this.

Being that it was your first time to Jamaica, I am glad that you took the opportunity to go on your tour and see more off this beautiful Island.

It is always good to gain your own experiences and having said this we are happy that you chose to stay with us for such a special moment in both your lives. It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the future for another amazing vacation.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

First time to Jamaica.
We traveled with a few other couples and to sum this resort up...it's nice for the money.
I have traveled extensively, my last several vacations to some very high end resorts so this one although nice & clean, was not exactly my cup of tea. Don't get me wrong, it was not the worst place I have ever stayed, just not the best.
We arrived to a packed house at the airport, but customs still went smoothly...YEA ! Ride to the resort from the airport was approx 35 - 40 minutes. It went by fast as we marveled at "driving on the left side" of the road. I would have trouble with that...LOL
We were greeted with the usual "welcome cocktail" this one being Rum Punch....it was tasty & hit the spot after a long day of travel. Check in was super easy and we were pleased to find out our rooms were basically all together and we were in the building I had requested ahead of time...bonus. Rooms are nice, very spacious & clean. Our cleaning person, Patricia did an EXCELLENT job as well as being a sweetheart. We made sure to leave her money each day as she totally deserved it. They clean rooms once a day...no turn down service, but that was fine. Bed is not as bad as people say but....I was so tired each night, it didn't matter, I have slept on some "dreamy" beds though & this one was just so-so. Pillows are as people said..flat & small. Yes, they did have a pillow menu for an additional charge which after waking up several days with a sore neck, I decided to try. We called the front desk and arranged for two pillows from the menu, while she was writing up the receipt my husband mentioned my sore neck and she immediately crossed off the $12 and said no charge. Ok, we did only have two nights left, but that was still very nice. :-)

The pool is HUGE and I mean huge. No problems getting a chair. The pool & Infinity Bar in my opinion, are the highlight of this resort. I also like that there is a wall between the shallow pool area and the deeper end, it keeps the kiddies to a minimum at the swim-up bar :-)
Water was a bit cool, but felt good after sitting in the sun, we did not have the best weather our week, but it was much better than the snow & cold we left behind so it was all good.

Restaurants were all decent, nothing spectacular, nothing horrible. Our least favorite being the Mexican....we LOVE Mexico so are spoiled. This was not really Mexican. Our fav place to eat being the steak house, second the Caribbean(try the pork chop & the coconut shrimp..YUM) We also liked the Jerk Chicken hut by the beach, worth the walk over.

Did not do any of the shows, but did see the band at the Infinity bar each night. That bar is just stunning, we watched the sunset one night from up there...so nice. They also had great bartenders, they made a great effort to make our fav cocktail....dirty martini's :-)
Also right by the Infinity bar is Miss Lou's...Joy makes the most delicious cappuccino. That was our afternoon treat. We'd leave the pool and go see Joy before heading to get ready for dinner.

We did a catamaran cruise with Dreamer Catamarans...that was allot of fun...watch out for that rum punch...ouch !! Also did Mayfield Falls...so much more intimate than Dunn's River and allot closer. Also did Rick's Cafe....a very fun, pretty place. My hubby did the famous "jump" and said it was exciting. Not for me it wasn't...LOL

We had a really nice time but....I think I would have liked to be a bit closer to town. A ride into either Negril or Montego Bay was $100 ....YIKES ! We had planned on doing dinner in Negril one night, but that $100 kept us at the resort, next time we stay closer to town. People were generally very friendly..only once were we asked if we "smoked" & I said no, never have, never will.... and that was it.
I will return to Jamaica some day but .... Mexico is our first love.
Any questions please feel free to ask

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Kenosha, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Our check in went smooth, our room was wonderful, loved the 2 person spa tub in it, but the best part of the resort was the great staff they had working there. Special kudo's to our pool bartender, Martin, he really went out of his way to see that my wife and I had a great time there. My only downgrade on the place would be for the food, it was only average. The best meal we had there was at the jerk shack by the water sports center. The resort is very large, but the golf cart transports were readly available and the longest wait we had ofr one was about 10 minutes. overall a great place to vacation.

Room Tip: no elevators so third floor is a lot of stairs
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based on your vacation experience here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We welcome your feedback and will use it to assist us in improving the present product which we have. We are pleased that you loved the luxurious accommodations which you received. We appreciate your comments about our staff as they are indeed friendly. I will be sure to share your kind words with Martin who made your vacation memorable.

We would love to have you stay with us again in the future as it was our pleasure hosting you on this visit.

Middletown, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed at this resort that is absolutely gorgeous!! I must tell you I go on vaca often and this hotel has the most unfriendly (woman) at the front desk!! They didn't welcome us! Our reservation was lost! We checked in 2 hours passed the reg time! They didn't offer us any info or a map of this resort! This resort is huge and you do a lot of walking which I didn't mind! The food was great at every restaurant!!! It's a shame that the first thing you are introduced to is the front desk! Anna and Renee were so rude as most of the woman at the desk! They never even told us to speak with our gogo tours woman! Ps if anything is wrong with ur room good luck having someone come and fix it! Also go ocean front! Even that wasn't a guarantee people were complaining left and right bc they paid extra for it and they didn't get it! I mean I had a great time! It's just a shame about the front desk!

Room Tip: Ocean front! Hopefully you will get it!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!