“Rude front desk!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Middletown, New York
“Rude front desk!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed at this resort that is absolutely gorgeous!! I must tell you I go on vaca often and this hotel has the most unfriendly (woman) at the front desk!! They didn't welcome us! Our reservation was lost! We checked in 2 hours passed the reg time! They didn't offer us any info or a map of this resort! This resort is huge and you do a lot of walking which I didn't mind! The food was great at every restaurant!!! It's a shame that the first thing you are introduced to is the front desk! Anna and Renee were so rude as most of the woman at the desk! They never even told us to speak with our gogo tours woman! Ps if anything is wrong with ur room good luck having someone come and fix it! Also go ocean front! Even that wasn't a guarantee people were complaining left and right bc they paid extra for it and they didn't get it! I mean I had a great time! It's just a shame about the front desk!

Room Tip: Ocean front! Hopefully you will get it!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (987)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Oxford,MS
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Obviously I travel a lot - usually more for business but this trip was certainly for pleasure. I've been to Jamaica before; and I understand the overall culture - love it. Expect things to be slow and laid back here. The resort is pretty; probably 5-6 years old though used heavily. We lucked out and got into building 13; so it was not incredibly far from anything - with the exception of "lady hamilton" - by the way Lady Hamilton is the same resort. The rooms are nice; though obviously used well. I came with an open mind; understanding it will not be the Ritz; and it's nice Ritz priced. The grounds are nice; beaches are rocky and usually not so clean; prepare yourself for that. The drinks are low-grade; don't come expecting a Jack & Coke; prepare to give instructions to the bartenders on how to make a Martini. They specialize in Jamaican party beverages - not our usual. Items in the gift shop are incredibly expensive - cigar aficionado's should bring their own sticks. All the stogies I found on property were Cohiba and Montecristo rip-offs. All of the above is tolerable; we're in a 3rd world incredibly poor nation with strange social differences from America. Where this resort gets it's failing score from me is in the food department. A resort of this magnitude has the facilities to create great meals - not world class meals - but great meals. The food prepared here is poor from start to finish - I am not exaggerating - this aspect WILL frustrate you. If you are stuck coming here - steer clear of buffets for dinner, asian food and indian cuisine - they are the worst of the worst. If Palladium could clean it up and provide meals that are worth something - I would consider coming back; all resorts have their shortcomings; but it is inexcusable for a resort to provide food of their quality. There are a couple places you can escape the madness; the main pool blares club music all day with "POP" People of Palladium annoying the never ending crap out of you with their activities. Sunset cove is nasty and unclean; very crowded. There is a quiet beach and pool near building 12 & 13 --- hide there!

All in all; for $1700 out the door this was an OKAY adventure. I would be very hard pressed to stay here again unless Fiesta Hotel Group pulls it together. If you can cancel your trip here - just do it. Do more research. Overall I was very unimpressed and did not enjoy myself. Maybe I am biased and require above average food - this just did't cut it.

Thunder Bay
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Spent 2 weeks here from Feb.25th to March 11th 2013..the same issue of check in came up again and if I did not mention and re-mention to front desk we would have had to wait much longer..this was our 3rd Palladium Resort as we had stayed in Riviera Maya and at Punta Cana before and check in was never an issue there ..talked to room management after and never got any real definitive response or answer to this reoccurring problem at this resort..all the working staff in every area were very friendly and helpful ..the room was kept clean and the beds were fine to both of us..food was average and always a choice of things to eat..if you want a beach resort this is not the place for you as they are man made and not great for swimming in the Caribbean Sea..we had a great location for our Villa # 11 close to every thing..next trip to Jamaica will be to Negril where there is 7 mile natural beach

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

First off, I want to say in my 15 years working in the travel industry (I own a travel agent in the states), I had never been treated like this. The so call entertainers they have at this resort, I believe their names are N-Jeeve and N-Sean. I don't recall if that are in fact their names but they were the only entertainers working on Thursday 3/7/13 from 10am to 3pm. They both have dreadlocks. These 2 entertainers at this resort name call on Asians. I had been called names multiple times even after I ask them why do you call me such name? Even after I had communicated that I don't like to be called such name. They still refuse to stop. They even when on the loud speakers they used to "entertain guests" and continue with the name calling! I will make sure I tell all of my customers never to book at this resort because no one deserves to be treat this way especially if you are paying your hard earn money to be at this resort.

Note to management:

Please terminate these two individuals from your resort, at least have them clean rooms or work in the kitchen or something so they don't have to deal with the public. These clowns are really giving your other wise good resort a bad name!

Room Tip: Don't come here if you are asian
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear guest,

First, we would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your comments from your last stay at Grand Palladium Jamaica. As we are deeply committed to achieving our guest’s total satisfaction, your opinion is very important to us.

We assure you that our staff is continuously trained to follow high standard services. We regret to hear that in this case you felt a bad attitude from some of them. Just let me add that our team members are continuously congratulated on their work by many customers as you can read in other reviews.

We hope to be able to welcome you again to our hotel, and have the posibility to change your mind about us.

Best regards

Jose Torres
Accomodations Manager
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed at the Grand Palladium from March 5 to March 7th. Found this resort to be like one of those really fancy cakes you see in a bakery or restaurant that you just have to try only to find out it tastes like nothing.
Everything here that is extra costs way too much! They must be trying to fund the entire Spanish economy with the profits from here $13 US for a pack of cigarettes in the gift shop? TOTAL RIPOFF!
I needed to have a shirt cleaned for a wedding I was attending because something leaked on it in my suitcase (my fault) and it was $140 US to wash it. Needless to say I did without. I can buy six shirts just like it for that price.
Pillows are hard as a rock but you can always replace them from the pillow menu at $3 each per night, times three pillows. Are you kidding me? The room cost over $300 per night and you are going to nickel and dime me to maintain comfort?
The final blow was at check out on March 7th at 5am. We had a shuttle scheduled for 5:15am to go to the airport for an 8am flight. The travel was booked through JTM tours in the hotel lobby. We were up at 4am to get ready and called the front desk at 4:10am to have a golf cart pick us up at the room before 5am. It is quite a distance from where our room was to the lobby area. Needless to say the cart never showed and we had to drag four bags about 1/4 mile and then up a steep hill.
Had to wake up the girl at the reception desk and she completed the check out transaction. After about 20 minutes of being the only people around we started to become concerned our shuttle would not show. Again we woke up the girl at reception; the lobby was vacant except for her and ourselves. She told us that JTL was not associated with the hotel but that they may be running late. Another 15 minutes passes and nobody is around at all. Again we went to the front desk (where else were we to go?) and woke up Janine (I think). She asked us if we had a phone number for JTL which we did not. She asked us to find one at the tour desk and we tried but there was nothing there. We were getting pretty upset by now and she finally reaches under the counter (after we woke her up again) to produce a notebook full of phone numbers! AMAZING!!! This useless customer rep would have let us miss our flight knowing all along she could correct the situation! She questioned why we were late which was the last straw. I explained we may have been late because the golf cart she was to send never picked us up because she never dispatched it! All we got was a blank "I could care less" stare. Within five minutes there was a JTL driver there who turned a 45 minute trip to the airport into 30. It was a scary ride but we got there. (no thanks to Janine) My overall impression of this place is you can only get service through bribery. Nobody moves unless you flash cash! Do not waste your hard earned money at this resport!

Pros:
Beautiful grounds
Lots of food
Lots of booze
Bartenders will sell you all the marijuana you want (if that is what you are into)

Cons:
Landscapers start with the loud trucks at 6:30am
Food is mediocre at best
Service does not exist; except for a price
No elevators
You will walk miles going to dinner and other activities so take good shoes
Pillows are like concrete
You must wear a stupid, irritating arm band during your visit. For what?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to describe your last vacation in Grand Palladium Jamaica. All reports help us to know about our guests expectations and help us to find the corrective actions necessary. About the matter I would like to make the following comments:

Despite this is an “all inclusive” hotel there are some services with extra cost for all that guest who doesn’t care to pay extra for all that services not included in our package: lobster, some wines among some others… We understand totally normal to charge you extra especially if you ask for cigarettes in our gift shop. About the price you paid for the shirt let me inform you that the prices are in JMD$ and not US$ as you can read in the laundry form.

In case you find the pillows hard our housekeeping department would be very happy to change them as the pillow menu is only an option for those who are looking for other sensations.

I understand your frustration during your check out process especially after the delay of the JTL transfer; it is hard to believe that our front office staff did not assist you, this is not the way we use to serve our guests.

About the fact that our staff is engaged in illegal practices, it is regrettable you did not communicate it to management on property.

We hope that despite these negative issues which you have outlined, you will give us another opportunity to serve you and show you our usual service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,

Jose Torres
Accomodations Manager
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

The experience we had with Grand Palladium in general has been a positive one. We stayed with them last year in Mexico and were very pleased as well. The room we stayed was great! Think of it: Jacuzzi, King size bed, nice balcony, beautiful view, big wonderful room, etc, the only down-point was that at night the room got too cold. There was no extra blanket available, however we stayed only 1 night so did not bother to ask for one next day. I am sure we would have been given an extra blanket if we asked for it, but I wish there was one in the closet, just in case. Also, the mini-bar (mini fridge) was not restocked, when I asked the person to give us some water he was a bit resistant to my request stating "aren't you leaving in the morning". While that was true, I still wanted a bottle of water which he ended up giving me one because I insisted and told him that there was no water in the fridge. Otherwise the food was DIVINE and the bathtub was fantastic! We had a very easy check in and check out, the place is wonderful in general! If you want a pompous and grandiose place to stay - this is the place for you!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

If your looking for a resort that's not too expensive and somewhat decent this is the place for you. First the view from the resort is beautiful. Pool is very large and nice. Service is great and workers are very accommodating. Rooms are pretty clean and no problem getting extr towels and stuff we needed. Only problem was halls leading into rooms smelled pretty bad. Not sure of the smell but nasty. Main pool could have been kept cleaner and they need workers to pay attention to trash on beach. The last thing you want is to get to the beautiful beach and see trash on it. Let's talk about food. Well the food is no five star. If your used to great food you may have a problem. I would say below the quality that I would like. Disappointing. Also if you get hungry for some chips or chocolate late at night, your out of luck. No vending machines so buy early in day at gift shop. The beaches from main pool area look pretty but wear your water shoes. Lots of rocks. Not the smooth sand I was hoping for. You must stay at the lady hamilton side for nicer softer sand beaches. Also if your the type to bring kids and hoping to put them in a kid play place for the day, I wouldn't. Pool is as small as a hot tub and not much for them. Overall I gave 3stars because the actually buildings are very pretty and the staff is great. If you don't mind finding the better beaches and ok food you will love it here for the money. Thanks hope to visit Jamaica again.

Room Tip: If you want to stay by their great sized pool stay at main entrance side. If you want better beach...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear SunshineDido77,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your comments from your last stay at the GP Jamaica. As we are deeply committed to achieving our guest’s total satisfaction, your opinion is very important to us.

Thank you for your nice comments about the rooms, the pool, the service and our great staff.

We are proud to inform we are one of the few Hotels who have earned the Blue Flag certification which speaks directly to natural, clean and healthy beaches. It is also difficult to understand how you felt dissatisfied with our beaches.

We are so sorry about your disappointment with the food. We have every desire to address your needs and provide the best solution available to resolve every inconvenience.
In regardless the food variety and quality on our restaurants, we sorry you did not like what the hotel is offering, we try to provide different menus in order to please as much as possible to our entire guest and give the best service to them. However, we will consider your comments in order to keep improving day after day.

We hope you to give us the opportunity to provide the care and quality you deserve in a future visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything at all we can do from this end.

Laura López
Assistant Room Division Director

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!