“Pretty To Look At But That is About It” 1 of 5 stars

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   The Point, Lucea, Jamaica   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Lucea
Los Angeles
“Pretty To Look At But That is About It”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed at the Grand Palladium from March 5 to March 7th. Found this resort to be like one of those really fancy cakes you see in a bakery or restaurant that you just have to try only to find out it tastes like nothing.
Everything here that is extra costs way too much! They must be trying to fund the entire Spanish economy with the profits from here $13 US for a pack of cigarettes in the gift shop? TOTAL RIPOFF!
I needed to have a shirt cleaned for a wedding I was attending because something leaked on it in my suitcase (my fault) and it was $140 US to wash it. Needless to say I did without. I can buy six shirts just like it for that price.
Pillows are hard as a rock but you can always replace them from the pillow menu at $3 each per night, times three pillows. Are you kidding me? The room cost over $300 per night and you are going to nickel and dime me to maintain comfort?
The final blow was at check out on March 7th at 5am. We had a shuttle scheduled for 5:15am to go to the airport for an 8am flight. The travel was booked through JTM tours in the hotel lobby. We were up at 4am to get ready and called the front desk at 4:10am to have a golf cart pick us up at the room before 5am. It is quite a distance from where our room was to the lobby area. Needless to say the cart never showed and we had to drag four bags about 1/4 mile and then up a steep hill.
Had to wake up the girl at the reception desk and she completed the check out transaction. After about 20 minutes of being the only people around we started to become concerned our shuttle would not show. Again we woke up the girl at reception; the lobby was vacant except for her and ourselves. She told us that JTL was not associated with the hotel but that they may be running late. Another 15 minutes passes and nobody is around at all. Again we went to the front desk (where else were we to go?) and woke up Janine (I think). She asked us if we had a phone number for JTL which we did not. She asked us to find one at the tour desk and we tried but there was nothing there. We were getting pretty upset by now and she finally reaches under the counter (after we woke her up again) to produce a notebook full of phone numbers! AMAZING!!! This useless customer rep would have let us miss our flight knowing all along she could correct the situation! She questioned why we were late which was the last straw. I explained we may have been late because the golf cart she was to send never picked us up because she never dispatched it! All we got was a blank "I could care less" stare. Within five minutes there was a JTL driver there who turned a 45 minute trip to the airport into 30. It was a scary ride but we got there. (no thanks to Janine) My overall impression of this place is you can only get service through bribery. Nobody moves unless you flash cash! Do not waste your hard earned money at this resport!

Pros:
Beautiful grounds
Lots of food
Lots of booze
Bartenders will sell you all the marijuana you want (if that is what you are into)

Cons:
Landscapers start with the loud trucks at 6:30am
Food is mediocre at best
Service does not exist; except for a price
No elevators
You will walk miles going to dinner and other activities so take good shoes
Pillows are like concrete
You must wear a stupid, irritating arm band during your visit. For what?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to describe your last vacation in Grand Palladium Jamaica. All reports help us to know about our guests expectations and help us to find the corrective actions necessary. About the matter I would like to make the following comments:

Despite this is an “all inclusive” hotel there are some services with extra cost for all that guest who doesn’t care to pay extra for all that services not included in our package: lobster, some wines among some others… We understand totally normal to charge you extra especially if you ask for cigarettes in our gift shop. About the price you paid for the shirt let me inform you that the prices are in JMD$ and not US$ as you can read in the laundry form.

In case you find the pillows hard our housekeeping department would be very happy to change them as the pillow menu is only an option for those who are looking for other sensations.

I understand your frustration during your check out process especially after the delay of the JTL transfer; it is hard to believe that our front office staff did not assist you, this is not the way we use to serve our guests.

About the fact that our staff is engaged in illegal practices, it is regrettable you did not communicate it to management on property.

We hope that despite these negative issues which you have outlined, you will give us another opportunity to serve you and show you our usual service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,

Jose Torres
Accomodations Manager

3,647 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (967)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

The experience we had with Grand Palladium in general has been a positive one. We stayed with them last year in Mexico and were very pleased as well. The room we stayed was great! Think of it: Jacuzzi, King size bed, nice balcony, beautiful view, big wonderful room, etc, the only down-point was that at night the room got too cold. There was no extra blanket available, however we stayed only 1 night so did not bother to ask for one next day. I am sure we would have been given an extra blanket if we asked for it, but I wish there was one in the closet, just in case. Also, the mini-bar (mini fridge) was not restocked, when I asked the person to give us some water he was a bit resistant to my request stating "aren't you leaving in the morning". While that was true, I still wanted a bottle of water which he ended up giving me one because I insisted and told him that there was no water in the fridge. Otherwise the food was DIVINE and the bathtub was fantastic! We had a very easy check in and check out, the place is wonderful in general! If you want a pompous and grandiose place to stay - this is the place for you!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

If your looking for a resort that's not too expensive and somewhat decent this is the place for you. First the view from the resort is beautiful. Pool is very large and nice. Service is great and workers are very accommodating. Rooms are pretty clean and no problem getting extr towels and stuff we needed. Only problem was halls leading into rooms smelled pretty bad. Not sure of the smell but nasty. Main pool could have been kept cleaner and they need workers to pay attention to trash on beach. The last thing you want is to get to the beautiful beach and see trash on it. Let's talk about food. Well the food is no five star. If your used to great food you may have a problem. I would say below the quality that I would like. Disappointing. Also if you get hungry for some chips or chocolate late at night, your out of luck. No vending machines so buy early in day at gift shop. The beaches from main pool area look pretty but wear your water shoes. Lots of rocks. Not the smooth sand I was hoping for. You must stay at the lady hamilton side for nicer softer sand beaches. Also if your the type to bring kids and hoping to put them in a kid play place for the day, I wouldn't. Pool is as small as a hot tub and not much for them. Overall I gave 3stars because the actually buildings are very pretty and the staff is great. If you don't mind finding the better beaches and ok food you will love it here for the money. Thanks hope to visit Jamaica again.

Room Tip: If you want to stay by their great sized pool stay at main entrance side. If you want better beach...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear SunshineDido77,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your comments from your last stay at the GP Jamaica. As we are deeply committed to achieving our guest’s total satisfaction, your opinion is very important to us.

Thank you for your nice comments about the rooms, the pool, the service and our great staff.

We are proud to inform we are one of the few Hotels who have earned the Blue Flag certification which speaks directly to natural, clean and healthy beaches. It is also difficult to understand how you felt dissatisfied with our beaches.

We are so sorry about your disappointment with the food. We have every desire to address your needs and provide the best solution available to resolve every inconvenience.
In regardless the food variety and quality on our restaurants, we sorry you did not like what the hotel is offering, we try to provide different menus in order to please as much as possible to our entire guest and give the best service to them. However, we will consider your comments in order to keep improving day after day.

We hope you to give us the opportunity to provide the care and quality you deserve in a future visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything at all we can do from this end.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

This was our second time there in a year. We were there for a wedding.
Pros an cons,
We spent 3 star money and got 3 star quality, Dont expect 5 stars.
The two nicest beaches are at the far end of the lady Hallmiton Side.
The beach on the Jamcia side is useless because of the rocks and the cliffs.
The rooms again were clean and nicely maintained.
The pool was excellent again.
The people were extremly nice again. Good tipping works wonders
The food in the buffet is "old country beffet" at its best.
Dont expect to find a fat italian chef in the italian restaurant. Your in Jamacia its "pasta with canned sauce" Remember you only paid 3 star money so dont complain.
They need someone non stop to pick up trash on the beach, yes idiots all day let their empty cups fly away so you need a jamican constantly walking up and down the beach to keep the sea creatures from choking on a straw.

If your flying out early Sunday morning, dont expect any sleep if your in building 11, there is a live band playing all night long in the infinity bar and the volume is triple whats needed for the 40 people at the party.It rocked on till about 2:30 am, I like a party but not the night before I'm leaving, they need to keep this under control. If I wasnt leaving Sunday I wouldn't have complained I would have been part of the problem for someone else. Just something to think about.

The wedding we were at was awesome, the set up was great, the cocktail hour was great and the reception was great.

Next time try to meet our request. We had a great time last year with two specific bar tenders, we requested them for the wedding, One was working in the buffet, they switched them for us the night before at our cocktail party but not for the wedding. If you have 30 people spending $2500-3500 each for the trip and they want a specicific bar tender for their party , give him to us. He was stuck in the buffet all night when he could have been making our night a tad bit funner. Good people make or break your place. Im not saying the guy at the wedding was bad , but the guy stuck in the buffet is a little better and a familar face to us. Simple request that doesn't cost anybody anything just pisses guest off. We werent asking for anything for free and requested plenty early.

Room Tip: Stay on the lady Hamilton side, the better beaches, the lazy river and spa pool, the jerk hut and Po...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review about your recent stay at the Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa.

I am sorry to read that your expectations were not met or exceeded. Your feedback is invaluable and much appreciated, as it enables us to constantly monitor and improve the care and service we provide to our guests.

Thanks again for your comments and hope to have the opportunity to exceed your expectations in your next visit.

Best regards

Jose Torres
Accomodations Manager
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Location was beautiful, restaurants were excellent, very clean, nice room, we actually liked that it was so big as it allowed us to walk around and explore. Kids club didn't really do it for our kids since they are 7 and 9 but lots of other things to do.

Room Tip: we were in building 24 and it was close to the main building and one of the pools
Dear Erika B,

Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your review. We are elated that you and your family have had such a fantastic vacation with us. We are always grateful to receive feedback about our staff and facilities as we work assiduously to assure our guests have memorable vacation experiences.

It is a pleasure to have had the opportunity of hosting you.
We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Kind regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I was hesitant to return to Jamaica after previous experiences- but this resort far exceeded our expectations. I enjoyed quiet time at the spa pool while the college kids hung out at the large pool where there was so much to do. Still if, you want another place to go- there are two other adult pools that offer a tranquil place to relax and plenty of beaches for swim and sun. The food was fresh and abundant. In reading other reviews, it seems there are those who expect fine dining at an all inclusive resort...while it was not gourmet- they will fix you whatever you want- all you have to do is ask!!!! Customer service is fabulous- always a smile and a "no problem,mon." I liked our room location- building 25 on the Mo Bo side. The Jerk Chicken hut is great- I would also suggest eating breakfast at the restaurant below the infinity bar (I have forgotten the name)- but you are on the terrace by the pool looking over the ocean. The sports bar is open all night- so if you need a late night snack- it is a great place to go. The college kids said the disco was fun- and we all enjoyed the band in the Infinity Bar in the evenings. We did not leave the resort- we had no need- and hope to go back again soon! We were there March 2-9, 2013

Dear lakenorman33,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review.

I am glad to read about all the wonderful experiences you had during your stay, your positive comments are greatly appreciated.

I am pleased to know you loved the exquisite meals, our customer service among the other great aspects of our Resort which you have mentioned.

We would love to host you again in the future.

Best regards,

Warwickshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed here for 10 days just after new year and what a wonderful time we had,

From the moment we walked in we felt we made the right decision, Checking in the staff were brilliant with us and we advised of food intolerance's and other things and nothing was an issue as different managers from the onsite restaurant's were on hand to listen and be able to accommodate.

The Baggage was then left at reception whilst we were then offered food which was lovely, and after finishing this we were swiftly escorted to our room via a mini cart.

Our allocated room was lovely, it was overlooking the sea and was nice and spacious and very much welcome. There were items such as robes, slippers, Chocolates, and Champagne then of course the wonderful view. Our mini-bar was stocked every day and also we received calls to ask if everything was okay from reception on a daily basis. There was also a Spa in the room which was really nice and romantic.

Service was great, Staff were friendly and always willing to help and go the extra mile.

Restaurants and food selections were fantastic as you could imagine with 10 restaurants in the resort, with anything from Indian food to Mexican to Italian and a Steak house. So we were never short of options and in terms of the quality it was fresh, generous and excellent.

The pool was just brilliant and you always had plenty of space and were not fighting for a sunbed as it was so big, The swim up bar was lovely and a nice relax.

There is plenty to do at the resort including Snorkeling, Kayaking, Basketball & Football, Tennis the list could go on and also tours can be arranged at the front desk.

The whole place was spotlessly clean and well looked after, although there was a lot of people it never felt crowded.

A huge thanks to all the staff & special mentions to Eugenia the food and beverage director who was brilliant with us and made us feel so welcome and felt like a long term friend. Also to Damien the Head chef who was really accommodating and approachable. Roberto the general manager was just lovely and friendly. Kenisha from reception went far and beyond just doing her job and was very professional. Joanna from the Italian restaurant was very pleasant and was nice meeting her.

We are really excited for going back and have already booked again to go in November, If you are looking for a relaxing lovely holiday with great staff and attention to detail and a terrific atmosphere then i would advise you to try here.

Thanks Grand Palladium team you gave us a great holiday and we will see you soon. Barbara and Bas

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!