“Won't make the same mistake twice!” 3 of 5 stars

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   The Point, Lucea, Jamaica   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Lucea
Austin, Texas, United States
“Won't make the same mistake twice!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We traveled to Jamaica for our one year wedding anniversary. We were so excited as this was our first major trip together and with friends. We did alot of research on the resort and were very nervous about the negative reviews we read. We went into it with positive thoughts and knew we had to experience it for ourselves.
First off, the grounds are beautiful! They are well maintained all over. the resort. The pool is Amazing! The food was okay, be prepared for runny brown eggs when you order am omelette. The cons we experienced were: Upon arrival in our room, we had ants everywhere, from the bathroom, on the bed, the couch, and a trail of them leading from the table to the back door. We had no AC in our room, the shower had standing water in it and didn't drain, and our minifridge contained only one drink which was a diet Coke. We quickly changed rooms. Be prepared to tip for everything!!! All inclusive does not include tipping and they aren't afraid to ask fur tips. The cashier even asked for a tip to break a twenty. The beach on the Grand Palladium side was extremely rocky and contained sharp coral. My husband cut his foot on it upon entering the beach. If you want smooth sand and clear water then you have to go to the Lady Hamilton side (bring tip money). That beach is gorgeous and we wouldn't of known about it had we not had friends staying on that side of the resort.
All in all, I would not stay here ever again. Even though we thought we were saving money by booking outside of Montego Bay or Negril, we ended up paying more since we spent alot of money on tipping. I don't mind tipping and am a generous tipper, however, I don't like being harassed by employees for tips.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

3,658 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (972)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I have nothing bad to say about this resort. It is absolutely gorgeous, it looked just like the photos and the staff were fantastic from the moment we arrived. We stayed here from November 11-18th 2012 and had our wedding ceremony on the beach on the 15th. Our wedding planner Nekeisha was fantastic!! She happily took care of all our little requests and made sure the day was exactly what we dreamed of. She even personally delivered our flowers and made sure some food was brought to my room since I didn't have time to go to the restaurant after having our hair and makeup done.
Now for the rest if the resort...our room was beautiful and always clean. Yes there is a little paint chipping in places but if you stop staring at walls who cares? I have better things to focus on in a place as beautiful as Jamaica! The pools were well maintained and we could always find loungers to use. There are no shortage of bars around the resort and the bartenders were very friendly and loved to tell jokes and make people laugh. If you're nice to them they'll be nice to you, they're not your servants. I recommend a strawberry daiquiri with rum cream, or really anything with rum cream that stuff is delicious! As for the food, it was good not amazing but we always found dishes we enjoyed. The Italian and Indian restaurants were very good, the Asian was my least favourite but overall ok. The buffets are huge and carry such a variety, if you go hungry it's definitely your own fault. The pasta station was probably my favourite as well as the omelette station in the mornings. You can make whatever you want so what's not to like. The jerk hut is not to be missed, but go early while the rice is still fresh and there's still seafood to be found. We were here for lunch almost every day. The sports bar is good for a quick snack and if you're a 2am eater like me it's nice to have real food options.
We went out on the boat ride one afternoon and our driver/guide was fantastic, he kept us laughing the entire time. The whole water sports team was a riot keeping us entertained while we waited for our turn on the catamaran.
Beware if you're looking for soft sandy beaches, that is not what you'll find here. There's a lot of rocks and gravelly sand so I would suggest water shoes. My husband and I are both pool people so this didn't concern us, the beaches are still nice to walk along.
The nightly shows were good, you can tell they put a lot of work in to them. It's always more entertaining when the audience is involved and the few nights this happened they had everyone laughing. If they worked that in a bit more i think it would just be that much better.
Overall it was an amazing trip and we are very happy with our resort choice. We want to visit other countries but we are thinking about a return trip here, maybe for a 5th or 10th anniversary. I do recommend this resort. If you go with a laid back have fun attitude you'll love it! And remember "Jamaica time" is a very real thing. There's no jump up and run to do something but, if you ask it will get done you just have to remember to....Relax it's Jamaica mon!
Thank you Grand Palladium for giving us such wonderfully unforgettable wedding memories.

Room Tip: It's a large resort so you will be doing a lot of walking. We were in villa 14 which had amazing...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
East Durham, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I surprised my wife with this January get-away to 85 degree weather from 15 degrees in Upstate New York. Our first time in Jamaica. Our suite was great with two balconies with ocean views. The ceiling fan in the bedroom was squeeking a bit, but before I even said a word, they replaced it with a new unit the next day when we were out on the beach. Perhaps the maid noticed it and reported it. Each day,I tipped the maid and put an extra $2 in the mini-bar, they doubled the beer! Suggestion: tip the people, they work hard for what little money they earn. In our 5 day stay, I spent less on total tips than the insurance cost for the trip. Also I brought my international adapter for my camera and video camera chargers as they have the old style wide 110 v. A.C. outlets. They sell $20.00 phone cards for 22 minutes near the reservations desk. You can call international for less than 90 cents a minute. If you use the room phone, you will be charged $25.88 a minute! The staff here at the Grand Palladium were great, everyone says hello, from the groundskeepers to the maids to the restaurant and bar staff. The main pool was great and there were beaches just down from the pool that were secluded to get away and watch the ocean waves. I am 56 and had no trouble walking from my unit #15 to the bars, restaurants and shows. The food was great, we ate at Bubba's twice, the filet mignon and T-bones were excellent. Why people base their reviews on one bad meal or one bad experience, I have no idea, but some people complain about "Having nothing to complain about!" Bring along a pair of long pants as some restaurants require them to be worn along with a short sleeved shirt. This is their "high time" for travelers and we never waited at any of the restaurants to be served. We enjoyed Miss Lou's Bar as they had ice-cold Red Stripe light and ALL top shelf liquors, indulgent desserts, latte and expresso coffees, comfortable couches and chairs and perfect ambience. J.J. and the staff were great. The Sports bar is open all night and a great place for a quick burger, hot dog, onion rings, fries, etc. Again, the people here are so accommodating, it is so clean, the pools and beaches are fantastic, the food and drinks superfluous, this is Paradise. We will definitely be back again !!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

This resort did not live up to expectations and we were extremely disappointed and felt rather let down as the trip cost us quite a lot of money. We are extensive travellers and are used to staying in good hotels but the Lady Hamilton resort is definately NOT 5*. This was our second trip to Jamaica, had it been our first we would not have returned. Riu Tropical in Negril is 100% amazing and is far superior to this resort. I never felt as if we were in Jamaica at the Lady Hamilton, the beaches are a let down and not typically Caribbean like Negril.The main reasons for our complaints are;

Posiedon Restaurant.
This is OK for a quick lunch when you are in your beach clothes, steer clear in the evenings though! A cat went under our table and urinated all up my legs on arrival. The meals took one hour to arrive and they were cold and the quality was disgusting, restaurant was only a quarter full so no excuses. My Husband ate nothing whatsoever that night.Chairs hard, no cushions no evening ambience at all.

Bubbas Steak House was excellent on our first visit but awful a couple of nights later, the steaks were not edible, tough and full of gristle. The Italian restaurant served us the best meal of the week, everything was perfect, food atmosphere and service. Chinese restaurant was no good, main courses were disgusting.

New Year was a complete non-event, just a countdown on the baseball court, very disappointing, we felt really let down, where was the party?? Our rooms were lovely,clean and spacious, the only grumble being rock hard pillows. I found out about the pillow menu but why should you have to pay extra for a comfortable pillow in a 5* hotel????

The restaurants are very busy, most nights we were told there were 22 tables in front of us waiting for dinner. The catering in this resort is badly organised and I blame the management. The hostess staff in the Italian restaurant were very bad tempered and often rude due to stress and the amount of guests waiting for a table. I never once in 7 days saw any sign of a manager walking around or trying to help. A few members of staff were very good but the majority were not happy and rather snappy, another reflection on bad management. Evening entertainment in the main bar was soooo boring........

Room Tip: Huge Resort, you need to be near the lobby if you don't like walking
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear Barbara M,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to describe your last vacation in Grand Palladium Jamaica. All reports help us to understand what our guests need or want from their vacation. I will take note about the issues that you mentioned in your report.

I would like to apologize for any inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. We always try to do our best to satisfy our guests and make their vacation enjoyable and the feed back we are receiving from most of our clients proves this. However we assure you that we will take very seriously each of the comments mentioned in order to improve our performance day after day.

It would be nice if we could welcome you back in the future in order you can change you mind about us. Please do not hesitate to contact us, if there is anything at all we can do from this end.

Thank you for your attention.

Best Regards,

Truro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I just wanted to share our vacation experience. We recently went to Montego Bay Jamacia to the Grand Pallidum Resort. It is located about 30 minutes from montego bay in the parish of hanover. We arrived and stayed on the Jamacia side for the first 6 days. The food was awesome and what a variety there are 13 restaurants which leaves room for anyone to get what they want. The buffets were different everyday (mexican/american etc) so you never tired of the food. I have to say i probably gained a good 10lbs there as everything was good. The people were friendly and everything we asked for we were accomodated. We were approached by staff at the travel club to see if we were interested in joining. At first we were skeptical as we thought oh no time share. Boy were we wrong for the basic membership you got 5 free all inclusive weeks at any pallidum or affliate , private checkin pickup to and from the airport also a la carte ever nite no waiting in lines, access to the private member club which pamper and spoil you to no end, free wifi and international calls. It was great we can also let friends and family use the benefits of the membership. There are 6 pools adult to children and they are huge so it was not overcrowded. We were asked many times if we were enjoying our stay and did we need anything or have any concerns. They really made us feel special and i would not think twice about going back again or to any pallidum hotel.

Room Tip: The jamacia side is really nice but if your wanting a really fancy room up can upgrade to the lady h...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I went to the resort last June for 2 weeks with my husband, We loved it, had a problem with a leek into our room, we was moved to another room, no issues.. The staff ALL THE STAFF were lovely and friendly the only issue ( meant In a non racial way)I had was that it was full of Americans many so rude to the staff, I was actually embarrased by the way they spoke to the staff especially if they had to wait 2 minutes to be seated and was told they are not allowed entry to dining hall in a vest top although signs outside every restaurant entrance to show dress code.. thats not really a fault at the hotel though!

The dining staff were so lovely.. I was surprised to learn that they would rather throw food away than feed their staff I was dissappointed to learn this maybe thats something that can be reviewed by the management.. I am planning going back again this year to same hotel as I always do all inclusive holidays and this hotel was one of the best I have been too..

As this is a big resort you would really expect a fair bit of walking but if you have mobility issues call reception and they will send the little buggy car around for you no problems..

The beach was lovely both sides not the best ever but was still lovely only fault no beach waiter service so a bit of a walk if your up other end of beach to get drinks but hey your on holiday not in hospital walk off some of the lovely food.

I am vegetarian and was always something for me to eat.. My husband loved the food too..

The Spa was beautiful too..

What more can I say we loved it yeah Monnnnn..

Room Tip: If on Jamaica side ask for blocks 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 as they are very near the lobby and restaurant...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Nicky B,

I would like to thank you for your report about your last stay in Grand Palladium Jamaica. I was very pleased to read all the positive comments you had for us and for us it is a pleasure to know you and your husband enjoyed your vacation.

We appreciate your positive comments about the facilities, the beaches, the exquisite meals and our wonderful staff.

Thanks again for your comments, as they help us to know the opinions of our guests and work to improve our service day after day.

Looking forward for your next visit, we remain at your service.

Best regards,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed From January 2nd to January 8th 2013. Overall a good stay and I would recommend going for the right price but don’t expect it to be as advertised. This is a 3 ½ star resort at best even by Caribbean standards but could be better with a little work. Most of the staff at this resort were great, however the resort itself needs work.
Lots of little problems add up to ruin what could be a great destination.
Our room was missing the I-phone radio and plug for the Jacuzzi tub.
One day you would not get face cloths, another day the bath robe would be missing.
The mini fridge does not get cold
The entrance door and bathroom doors in both our rooms squeaked loudly would wake you at night.
The Bed was ok but the pillows were a little hard, you could upgrade your pillow for $2 a night.
The food at the buffet is average, all the meat at the grill tastes the same.
They only had 1 buffet open with only one working toaster for the first 4 days
On our 1st night the buffet did not open till 6:15 even though we were told 5:30 at check in, you will find that most things at this resort run on “Jamaican Time Mon”
There is an information board by the check-in which shows you what a la carte’s are open and what the show is but you need to find it yourself, they don’t tell you about it at check-in.
The a la carte’s are very good but the steaks are too small and are always well done no matter how you order them.
They always had two a la carte’s closed, even when there was an hour wait at the ones that were open
The sports bar menu offers chicken tenders, should say poor quality chicken nuggets.
2 of the 3 pool tables in the sports bar are unusable, and 1 of the foosball tables is missing a player
The archery is “not available” and we were told it has not been for a long time
You can throw out the activity brochure you get when you arrive as most of the events do not have staff to run them so they don’t happen, there is lots going on by the pool if you hang out there though.
Other than the boat being sunk, the water sports were great. Lots of Kayaks, we saw lots of fish while out.
The cove is a very good beach. Nice sand and roped off swimming area. Avoid the restaurant by the beach, very slow and not very good.
Drinks are good but the cups are small, take a large insulated mug or buy one there.
The convenience store at the resort is well stocked and reasonably priced.
I asked to talk to a manager to talk about the many problems but the one who showed up was full of excuses and no help. I waited ½ hour for a general manager but nobody came. Waited again on our last day but still nobody came so I left our room number, but nobody contacted us so I have to assume they don't care if you are happy..

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Traveller20137,

We would like to thank you for taking the time in giving us your valued feedback in regards to your experience. We appreciate that you have taken the time to advise us of your opinion.

The Management and Staff at Palladium Jamaica are committed to satisfy our guests and we sincerely regret if the circumstances mentioned may have affected your vacation experience and your perception of our hotel.

Kindly accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience which you experienced looking for a manager. We have managers 24 hours every day, so we would like to assure you that we have taken the corrective measures to minimize the reoccurrence.

We look forward to receiving you again soon and that we have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Assistant Room Division Director

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!