“my experience at Grand palladium Lucea, jamaica” 1 of 5 stars

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   The Point, Lucea, Jamaica   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Montego Bay, Jamaica
“my experience at Grand palladium Lucea, jamaica”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

An experience i won't ever forget! this was my third time being to this resort and even though i had not been really impressed by their service there. i had to stay there for a job seminar. So i skipped breakfast there and by the time i was suppose have lunch i would have already worked up an appetite. this is where everything went sour. after being around the table eating i tasted something sour. so i looked a bit closer in my plate and was shocked to see three worms. palladium is the worst possible place for anyone to stay.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,028)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Guildford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

Check in was slow but have found that seems to be the norm in most resorts - the first room we were given had a vey bad damp smell and the view was the back of a shed ( children's play area ) they changed our room quickly enough and the next one was very nice, no smells. The receptionist did say that the view was not important though.
The problem for us was really the fact that the hotel does not cater for disability. We were told that there would be a roll in shower, there wasn't and that there were none in any rooms in the hotel! But they did provide a shower stool, which was a small help.there was no direct light in the shower only a shared whole room light which was not sufficient.
There is NO access to the beach if you are wheelchair bound. In fact we only found one very small area opp the quite pool where you can see the beach at all. Sunset cove was a great attraction for me but the slope down to the beach would have been suicidal for my husband if i had pushed him down in his wheelchair. The only way to the quite pool is up a not so steep slope but still difficult.
The food was fine - toasters played up in the morning but no big deal. The Buffett was ok my husband struggled with the selection but that's normal. Because of the time of year not all the other restaurants were open and it was difficult find what we wanted. However the Italian was horrendous, the food was not good and they were far too busy with too few staff for there to be any quality of service. On the whole we found the staff to be more than helpful and never rude they did all they could to help but unless disabled facilities change we won't be returning.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Dear guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to describe your last vacation in Grand Palladium Jamaica. All reports help us to know about our guests expectations and help us to find the corrective actions necessary. Your suggestions for disabled are already considered for future renovations.

Regards

Jose Torres
Accommodations Manager
Sauk City, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

This was my 3rd trip to Jamaica and this all inclusive resort was everything I had hoped for! Check in was quick and easy, then a shuttle took us and our luggage right to our room. The room was much bigger than I expected - quite comfortable and clean.
The pool area is absolutely huge and amazing - never had a problem getting a chair. There are bars on each side of the pool and then the swim up one. Lots of fun music, entertainment and activities going on every day, which the staff definitely tried to get many people involved with - fun to watch! Didn't really go to the beach right off the pool area, as I'm more of a pool person anyway, but we did visit Sunset Cove a couple times, which is a must, because that's where the Jerk Chicken Hut is. That beach has a nice swimming area and kayaks, paddle boats, etc that you can take out.
Food was as expected - big buffets with lots of selection, some choices better than others. I recommend the pasta bar at the dinner buffet! We also ate at the Mexican, Asian and Steakhouse. Food and service were best at the Asian restaurant for us, the others had good food, nothing extraordinary. We did visit the Sports Bar a few times too - to watch the Packers the first night we were there (couldn't miss that!) and to have a snack once in a while, or a quick, simple meal, like chicken tenders or a burger.
Drinks were great, and I had plenty of them! We traveled with a group of 9 and I bought everyone insulated cups ahead of time, which I recommend taking because everything is served in small, plastic cups. I never had an issue with getting my personal cup filled up. Smiles and friendliness all around from the staff, which is one of the main reasons I love Jamaica!
This resort is big, but I felt like I knew exactly what I was getting into, because we stayed at a Grand Palladium in Riviera Maya previously. I don't mind the walking at all, plus, we could catch a shuttle whenever needed.
Also had a massage at the spa and used the gym a couple times, which was quite nice. Some of our group went golfing at White Witch one day, which they said was beautiful. We went on a catamaran to Rick's Cafe another day, which was terrific!
Overall, we had a great time, and I would definitely recommend this resort - I get a little confused when I read some of the other bad reviews, but I take them with a grain of salt, as clearly, everyone is different and has different expectations. I'm pretty laid back and was on VACATION, so just waking up every day and walking out to the pool to sit in the beautiful sunshine, listening to the ocean and relaxing made me feel so blessed to be there!! THANK YOU!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

When we first got into the hotel we saw a beautuiful lobby with amazing scenery and a lok over the infinity pool. While checking in with a very kind staff I had gone to the sports bar. I reccomend that bar because it has local games on back home and little finger foods whenever plus games of pool pingpong air hockey and foosball. The rooms were very realxing and I loved the spa inthe middle of the room. I reccomend buildings that are close to everything so there is not as much of a walk. The best restaurant is the Posideon with out a doubt. The entertainment shows were a little boring and the icebreakers unentertaining but I liked the activities and shout out goes to tweety and my man Happy Feet.

Room Tip: Tip the person at thecheck in desk
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Greetings!

Thank you for sharing your review based on your recent vacation spent here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are pleased to read about the wonderful stay which you have had and are grateful for your positive comments.

It is great that you loved eating at the Sports Bar and of course enjoy the various gaming activities that are present. We also love that you enjoyed dining by the Poseidon restaurant.

Thank you for your comments about our entertainment staff. We will be sure to pass your kind words to them both.

We welcome you to visit us again in the near future so you may once more have a great time. Until then, best wishes from our Palladium family!
Princess Anne, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We are seasoned caribbean travelers and have been to Jamaica more that 20 times in the last 17 years having stayed at many different types of resorts all over the island. For us, Grand Palladium rates at the top of our list along with Sandals and a few others. From check in to check out we had nothing but good service, good food and great accomodations.

Our room was kept immaculate by Nancy our maid and she always had a smile and a friendly hello every time we saw her. The issue with the air conditioning seemed to be taken care of as there was an extra key that was kept in the ac unit in the room when we checked in. In fact we turned the ac off many times as it was colder than we liked. There were ceiling fans in each room and we used those instead. We did not have any issues with the bedding or pillows that others seemed to experience.

The service at all of the bars was quick and always pleasant. At times one bar might not have the liquor you were requesting but a few steps away another bar might still have it in stock. They do use smaller cups but never had a problem filling the larger ones that you might bring with you.

We did not ever encounter the problems others had with bad attitudes or disgruntled employees in any of our encounters with main desk staff, housekeeping, security, waiters or bar staff. Everyone seemed to try their best to always have a smile and a friendly hello.

The food at the buffets was always fresh, appealing and varied. In fact we had some of the best food at this resort that we have had anywhere in Jamaica. We ate at several of the ala carte restaurants and found them also to be excellent. The wait staff is amazing, always trying very hard to make sure every guest is taken care of promptly.

The resort is perfect if you are an early morning walker with the property being large enough that you can walk or jog safely and get an excellent workout and the security staff is always around making sure that you are safe during early morning hours. The gym is the best we have seen at any of the resorts we have stayed at in Jamaica. We did not try the spa preferring to be at the main pool, but it looked very appealing.

For those travelers who are thinking about staying here or have already booked and have read the less than favorable reviews please come with an open mind and give Grand Palladium a chance. The resort is very spacious and for those with mobility issues it might be a challenge, but during our stay we saw shuttles available everywhere and they seemed to be transporting guests wherever they needed to go at almost any time of the day. Remember that the employees are taking care of hundreds of guests and work very hard and long hours, so patience and a smile on your part go a long way to making your vacation a good one.

We would go back to Grand Palladium in a heart beat and plan on exploring the other Palladium resorts as well. Thank you Grand Palladium for an excellent vacation!!

Room Tip: The rooms in building 11 or 12 on the Jamaican side are the closest to everything. If you choose bui...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Greetings!

Thank you very much for sharing with us your review about your well spent vacation here at the Grand Palladium Resort and Spa. We are elated reading about the wonderful experiences which you have had during your stay. As a 5 Star Resort, we aim to meet and exceed the expectations of our guests.

We are happy to know that you loved the luxurious accommodations, the delicious meals which you had at our restaurants, the kind and friendly staff that offered you excellent service and the overall beauty of the property and the facilities.

We would love to host you once more here in Jamaica as it was our pleasure to have been given the opportunity to do so on this visit. Feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end to assist. Until your next visit, best wishes from our Palladium family!
Rockville Centre, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Resort was clean, updated, open and airy. The rooms were sizeable and modern. I found the jacuzzi awkward to get in and out - so only used once. The Service Staff was horrible. I am not sure if it ws the time of year, but there were only 2 that were helpful. Most time, the staff appeared to be extremely bothered when you requestested assistance. The Bell Service was non-existent. I ended up pulling my luggage myself from my room to the lobby because they were too busy talking. If you come alone as a woman - be careful. I came for a funeral. I was constantly hit on and a Waiter acutally pestered me. It was a bit scary. Most of the staff men and women sat around laughing and joking amongst themselves. The Food was ok. I was not impressed even at the various restaurants. The drinks were watered down and I am not a heavy drinker. There was no waiter service at the pool or beach. I had to get up and walk to the bar for assistance. The pool chairs were smacked together so tightly that yoy couldnt get in or out without some difficulty. Overall, the resort was average. If you go with low expectations, you will be fine. The Pool is enormous and that took some of the fun out of it. The resort is NOT in Montego Bay. Also, although they say stay at one play at 2, it is really the same hotel - just 2 lobbies and maybe Lady Hamiloton slighter nicer and caters to adults more. It is located in Lucea which is about 30 minutes from the Montego Airport and hotels strips. Bottom line, I would go back again for a cheap vacation, but not by myself and with no high expectations.

Room Tip: Take a room close to the lobby - a lot of walking and the golf car service is not reliable.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Dear Zatraveler,

All reports help us to understand what our guests need or want from their vacation. I will take note about the issues that you mentioned in your report.

In reference the situation that you had with the Bell Service I would like to apologize for the experience that you had with them. We will take action to improve our service in that area.

We are sorry you did not enjoy our drinks. We will nonetheless include your concerns in our briefings in an effort to continuously improve our service and product.

Thank you for your nice comments about the pool as it is the largest on the Island and definitely one of the best attractions of the hotel.

We invite you to visit in the near future to experience more that our Resort has to offer.
We look forward to hearing from you, if there is anything at all we can do from this end.
Thank you for having stayed with us.

Best Regards,

Laura López
Assistant Room Division Director
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

The resort appears beautiful upon entry but that excitement ended once you entered the room. The first room they put us in was damped and smell moldly. The second room was leaking. Most of the staff were not friendly. They nickel and dime everything. It took four request to get extra bottles of water in the mimi fridge that did not keep them cool. They stock the useless fridge daily with 2 bottles of water and 4 bottles of sodas. When we ask for extra water, we were told they would have to exchange soda for water. We were fine with that since we were are not soda drinkers. The food is ok; nothing to write home about. After day three I was sick of it. The beach sucks. Better yet, as a Jamaican, I would not refer to that mess as a beach. It is a rocky, man-made mess. The pool appears to be the best option for swimming. The resort was poorly build. It also appears to have roach issues; we saw three in our room. I did meet two wonderfull dinning staff: a supervisor and a chef who make me a real Jamaican dish for breakfast.They do not have room service and they nightly entertainment was awful. I would never go back there and I would not recommend it.

Claudette

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!