“Grand Time Just Sayin'” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Kitchener, Canada
“Grand Time Just Sayin'”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

My wife and I and another couple visited Jamaica from Nov2-9. The bus ride from the airport was fairly quick and arrival at the Grand Palladium felt like we had arrived at a 5 star resort, it was clean and seemed everyone took a second to say Hello.
Check in went well... but we noticed that the eastern european people infront of us were not so lucky and we felt it was because they were demanding and ignorant to the check in staff. As we were next in line we thought here we go with the check in staff in a bad mood because of the others he had just dealt with....not the case he was very nice and profesional as we were to him!!! we got the rooms we wanted and oh ya a few Rum Punches while we were checking in nice touch, wisked off to our rooms by golf cart, room was very nice #1301 and 1302 nice and cold and a great ocean view.
Explored the resort grounds which were nice, all the resteraunts were good, the steak house was the best. Buffet was good- they could have been speedier with the coffee but I'm sure they don't know how much Canadians love their coffee!. The sunset cove beach was great- use of equipment was plentyful from the Hobie cats to the paddle boats.
The hidden gem we found was the Spa, we stumbled on it by accident the second day- glad we did. The Spa area we found has a variety of water features and hydrotheraputic pools and areas such as....Steam room...Sauna...5 different cold showers one with multi jets another with a bucket dump etc...there was a large very warm spa pool with jets and fountains and falls... a medium sized hot tub... and a very very hot still tub... a cold plunge tub... a smooth stone watered walking path....Just a GREAT area -we were there every evening to wind down.
Our Sunwing Rep Carter was amaizing guiding us to the best excursions even if they weren't one's he was selling- a very genuine person.
All in all a Great! trip..... Remember treat people as you want to be treated the results were GRAND!!

Room Tip: Units close to the main buildings save Alot of walking on Jamaican side #11-12-13 were perfect.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,149)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We had a hard time at check-in. Despite my several phone calls to the hotel prior to arrival we did not get ocean view suits. I paid for 2 suits in hope that they are ocean front. Front desk could not find any close room to the pool so we were offered rooms on lady Hamilton site. We downgraded one of our suite to junior suite but they were on the lady Hamilton site - the right site to stay. You have to insist on lady Hamilton and never stay on Jamaica site of the resort. Lady Hamilton is much nicer closer to spa beach and restaurants. Air conditioner didn't work and we called for housekeeper. He came right away (I shouldn't wait for the entire night to call) and sort of fixed it. Aircondition was still below my expectations but way better. Suite was huge with 2 balconies and separate living room. Bathroom has a shower and a jacuzzi. Cleaning and room keeping was outstanding. It was no mini bar. Only soft drinks and beers in the fridge. Very good less drinking. We requested adjusting rooms so the were, but once they opened door for us we weren't able to close them due to the lack of door handles - not good.
We visited in the beginning of November -low season. Not all of the restaurants were open. We liked Italian the best. I'm sure all are good as food was diverse interesting and creative. Than you chef.
Beach by Poseidon rest is the best. If you like the beach you must get a villa close to Poseidon.
It wasn't much of an entreatment during our stay I guess ole season and the are half empty. Again I do not understand why it was so difficult to get us room.
Overall warm and pleasant experience. Spa is awesome and a must. We used daily.

Have a pleasant stay!

Room Tip: Lady Hamilton site has a privileged location Poseidon beach and restraint as well as spa are located...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

There are four things that are key to us when staying in an all-inclusive. 1. free alcoholic beverages 2. rooms 3. food.

Rooms were awesome as was the hotel design. Great views, Sophie or Sophia cleaned our room every day, and always gave us fresh linens and towels. Thank you!!!

Food - we were not a fan. At all. We found shortcuts taken at every meal. Example: Ate at Bubbas and ordered filet mignon. Received beef but it was a round steak of some sort and not good. If you cant afford to put mignon on menu, then just dont. Scrambled Eggs in breakfast buffet was in a half inch of liquid. Cheddar cheese was actually american cheese. All hot food being served was cold. Really cold. I could go on and on.

Drinks: pretty liquor bottles on bar for decoration - but never, ever opened. All alcohol added to drinks are in plastic, no label bottles. I am not a heavy drinker and am unfortunately allergic to beer, so its liquor for me. My max is typically four drinks and my buzz directs me to bed. I had 15 drinks one afternoon. Nothing. Zero buzz. No hint of a buzz. Took a booze cruise off of resort - three drinks and I was happy happy happy. A local resident finally told me you have to ask for overproof rum on this resort. They dilute it to save costs. I did, and the drink was better. Unfortunately this tip didnt come until our final day. Again, if you cant afford to provide quality drinks, dont put them into the price.

The only "all inclusive" beer you will get on the resort is red stripe. My husband likes dark beer such as guiness and was really disappointed.

Entertainment/beaches/pools: pools were great. Beach areas are tiny. Entertainment ends early and was mediocre at best.

Suggestions: If you are only with spouse and not a big group: Take money for excursion trips on island. Bus to margaritaville, Ricks Cafe one day. Did party boat to Dunns Falls another day. We were bored on resort after 24 hours.
Take a backpack - you will definitely need it. The walk back to rooms from lobby is ten to fifteen minutes. Take a big cup if in pool. Resort bar Cups for drinks are small.

Jamaica is beautiful. We have great pictures. Next time we will take a cruise and pay for our drinks. Then we can demand quality and will have more selection.

• Stayed November 2012
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear Loriintexas,

We would like to thank you for taking the time in giving us your valued feedback in regards to your experience.

We regret to hear about your dissatisfaction with the food as we try to fulfil the expectations of several nationalities with 3 buffets offering international theme nights and 7 a la carte with different specialities.

We are so sorry you did not enjoy our drinks, but, let me tell you that beverages are never diluted. We do have a premium bar open from 10am to 12 pm every day. Miss Lou, is conveniently located in the center of our Resort overlooking our main pool. And there you can find a very good variety of liquors and label bottles. Also, you can find more beer than Red stripe. We want to believe that there is adequate variety for everyone.

We look forward to receiving you again soon and that we have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Laura López
Assistant Room Division Director
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed at the Grand Palladium Jamaica for 5 days. The check in was smooth and painless. We requested some more bottles of bottled water to be delivered. That took nearly 4 hours and atleast 3 calls. The TV never worked during the whole trip. Everyday we will call, it will be fixed for a couple of hours and then it will not work again. To Staff's credit, on the last day they called us pre-emptively to see if the TV was not working again. Overall the room was great and the view was stunning.

The food department leaves a lot to be desired. The Jamaican entrees are OK, but anything else is average to bad at best. The food at the Mexican place was terrible. The food at the Indian place was too salty and some of the interpretations were not authentic. For dinner, the service was painfully slow. The serve staff was always great and very courteous. After a while the food choices just become stale and boring.

The water activities are great. The beaches and the pool are great, but the pool closes at 6 pm which is disappointing.

Room Tip: Try to get rooms as close to the main building as possible, otherwise the walks can be extremely lon...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Travelled to Jamaica November 3rd to the 10th. This was our second time in Jamaica and we were not disappointed. The resort is fabulous. Being in quiet season the resort was only at 50% capacity. You could think this would mean less service but it was not the case. The check in process was quick and we were on our way to our room quickly. We had asked for a high floor and ocean view and we got it. Perfect room overlooking one of the three beaches. The room was huge and very clean. There is an adult only section (pool and beach) if you are looking for a little more quiet but as I said the place was not very packed so this was not an issue. The resort is SO BIG that you can easily find a quiet place anyway. We had one day of grey skies and a little rain which gave us the opportunity to check out the spa. There are free baths (adults only) and a big gym.

The food, which is always important in an all inclusive, was fabulous. The buffet had a good variety and was well maintained. The a la carte restaurants (which were not always open due it being off season) were all very good. Reservations were preferred but not always required. The steak house was the most popular (and our least favorite) and required reservations. The Indian (yes INDIAN!) restaurant was exquisite with authentic flavors. The Jamaican (creole) restaurant was also one of our top picks.

I would definitely go back!

Room Tip: Specify high floor and ocean view to your travel agent.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We are currently at the resort. The Management is woefully inept!! One of the big reasons we came here was for the tennis. On arrival, discovered that the tennis facilities were under renovation. What bothers us even more is that there is zero concern for guests' interests and displeasure. They just say what they have to but there is ZERO follow-up. They advertised a table tennis tournament yesterday and nobody showed up to organize ! I went to guest relations to complain and was told that somebody would contact me. Still waiting!!

Interestingly, they have been relentless on selling us a time-share here. So far, I've received 5 follow-up calls, notes. Goes to show where the focus is!!

Just went to the front desk to speak to the Manager and they seemed unsure who he/she is. Waiting to hear from him! Will keep everyone posted.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear guest,

We are sorry to know about your dissapointment about the sports facilities. The tennis courts in the hotel were seriously affected by the hurricane Sandy and we are still working on it. As you can understand some construction works take some time to be fixed.

We hope to see you in the future in order you can see all the improvements done in this area.

Best regards

Jose Torres
Accommodations Manager
boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The resort itself is really lovely. The pool is great and ground are gorgeous. It was my parents 50th anniversary and I made almost weekly calls before our arrival to arrange a place close to the main building because my father has trouble walking. I also requested ocean view. When I got there, we got two rooms furthest from the main building and looking out over the road. After some negotiating we got rooms a little closer but they were no longer in the same building. Very frustrating. Some staff were great, some really rude.
My main issue is that both my mother and I got Salmonella poisoning and it was absolutely horrible. It took us two weeks to recover and included trips to the hospital for hydration. We called the resort to report the poisoning and they never called us back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review and for choosing the Grand Palladium Resort and Spa. First, I would like to openly apologize for the major inconvenience which you have outlined. I would also like for you to further contact us in regards to this matter. Here is my email address so you may address me personally; assistdtor1.jamaica@fiestahotelgroup.com.

Kind Regards,
Jose Torres
Accommodations Director

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!