“Enjoyed the Resort” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Deridder, Louisiana
“Enjoyed the Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We traveled in June 2012 to the resort. Check in went smooth and quick. They offered us a couple of room choices, one in the Lady Hamilton and one in the Jamaica. The one on the Jamaica side was closer to the main buildings, so we selected that room. We were able to secure a one bedroom suite for not much more than the smaller standard suite, and I must say, if I have an opportunity to afford one bedroom suites in our future travels, I'm certainly going that route (they are usually too expensive for our budget). I loved the spacious room and also having the separate "living" area. We even had two sliding glass doors and two sitting areas outside. The room was very, very nice, clean and well appointed and decorated. The nice thing about the separate living area is that I usually wake up earlier than my wife, and so it is nice to be able to have an area that I can watch tv and do other things without disturbing my sleeping wife.

We tried most of the restaurants and found the food good in all of the restaurants, and the selection and choices were more than enough for us to find something we liked. Most of the restaurants were not cooled very well, so for dinner, with long pants required, it made it somewhat uncomfortable, but not unbearable. I think this may be an area the resort may want to explore to make the overall experience better.

Since the resort complex is two resorts, it is very large and wide, so if you want to explore the entire resort, there is a bit of walking, which we don't mind at all. I think the resort offers "shuttle" service to get to different parts of the resort, but that would require checking in somewhere, waiting for a shuttle, etc., and we would just rather walk.

We liked the beach area on the Lady Hamilton side (I think the sunset cove), and we did some snorkeling, which was pretty good. I think the system they use for the use of the snorkeling equipment is problematic as you basically have to wait for the next available equipment, and can't get on a waiting list. Knowing this, we waited right at the booth for the next set of snorkeling equipment, which was about a 20 minute wait. A guy came up after we had walked away a bit and asked if there was equipment, and they said no, and he began yelling that he had been waiting for over an hour. We felt sort of bad, but because we knew that there was no reserving, we had waited right by the booth to ensure we were "next", and so, we had no clue whether the guy had truly been waiting for that long or not since he wasn't waiting by the booth. All in all, I think it would be better handled with some sort of reservation system in which they have time limits for the equipment being out, and an hourly schedule that you could sign up for. Of course, there would be issues with that too, but I think all in all, it would be a better method.

I really enjoyed the main outdoor bar on the second level that overlooked the main pool / ocean. There was plenty of seating at the bar and at the tables and the drinks were good. There is an inside bar attached to this main outdoor bar that served premium liquors and had nice snacks as well. The waitress there was outstanding.

The main pool is very, very large, the biggest pool we've experienced in our all inclusive travels. It seemed the pool swim up bar was always busy and never seemed to have an open spot, so I never even tried to swim up and get a drink. We ended up going to the pool near our building for the rest of the trip as the drinks were good, and easy to get.

The beaches are not very large, but being that we typically prefer hanging out at the pool, this was not a big deal to us. If you like large, white sandy beaches, this may not be the resort for you.

While our room had good air conditioning, some people we met had no air conditioning and for almost half of their trip, they had to move a couple of times with the cooling situation not being any better. I think on the third or fourth day of their trip, they finally got a room with air conditioning. I suspect their review was not a favorable one as I would have been upset as well if it had happened to us, but, we didn't have any problems with our room, so our experience wasn't impacted by this issue.

We had a great private tour guide, Lindsay McFarlane of SNL Tours, and had a wonderful full day outing with him, which included Dunns River, the Bob Marley mausoleum and Rose Hall Plantation. We liked being able to custom design our excursion so that we were able to get everything scheduled for one day. When at an all inclusive resort, I don't like to be away from the resort for more than one day as then you really aren't reaping the benefits of the resort facilities, food and drinks. Lindsay was amazing and the price was much cheaper with him than if we had tried to do all of those with group tours. He is highly recommended.

All in all, we typically stay at fairly nice resorts, and this resort was comparable in quality with our other experiences, and was the largest we have stayed at. I especially enjoyed having a one bedroom room, which was a first for us as these types of rooms are typically out of our budget. This was our first trip to Jamaica and we thoroughly enjoyed the vibe of the island. We typically go to Mexico as it is much cheaper for us, but we loved Jamaica so much, we would love to return and would love to stay at this resort again. The only issue for us is it is more expensive to travel to Jamaica for us than Mexico, and since we are budget conscious, I'm not sure when we can return to Jamaica. :(

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,262)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vadnais Heights, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This place is definitely a great way to spend a week. My husband and I stumbled upon this hotel a few years back when we were looking for a last minute vacation and I am glad we did. I agree do not read the bad reviews, I did years ago and was hesitate to try this place out. The location is great, it is not in Montego bay like it's listed it is actually in a town between Negril and Montego bay, called Lucea, which I think is the perfect location. The Staff and the food were great. Last year we brought 53 of our friends along with us on our destination wedding and I didn't hear a bad word from any of them. The wedding was beautiful, there were a few little flaws that I was not happy about, however hopefully they are learning from them. The wedding/reception was pretty pricey considering it was an all inclusive resort, if I remember right they wanted $25 a plate & $15 per person for drinks....we went with the appetizer list and then paid for the extra time to have the reserved area and bar. (we also hired the recommended DJ, He was fun) I am not sure what it is like during their busy season but in their off season was perfect. great service, easy to get into the restaurants, (not as a group though, that was very hard) plenty of lounge chairs at both the beaches and the pools.

Room Tip: The Lady Hamilton side is farther away from the main pool than the Palladium side. Lady Hamilton is...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

First let start by stating that my wife and I are experienced travelers and have stayed at several all-inclusives over the years so I feel somewhat qualified in making my comments. I will bulletize them for convenience:

Arrival - No problems, rum punch was nice and aesthetically the hotel looks nice.

Check-in: Average counter staff - was not greeted with any enthusiasm, felt like they didn't care whether we were there or not. This attitude seemed prevalent among the bulk of the staff there sans a few folks working in the restaurants and the entertainment crew. On a positive note we were given a different room with a nicer view...thank you.

Rooms - They did look worn for a hotel that is only a couple years old. No one showed us all the "features" of the room..don't mean to sound picky here but this is pretty standard service in most resorts. The air conditioner was not that cold in the evening. Bed was comfortable though except to change to a different pillow on the "pillow menu" was additional charge which we were not going to pay. The foyer light switch was all the way in the back of the room...what's up with that? Beverage fridge was kept stocked but their stock levels seemed low.

Grounds - Clean and well-groomed. Covered walkways in the main thoroughfares. Again we are used to the staff greeting you anytime you cross paths but this did not happen here.

Food - Average to below average. There are several restaurants to choose from but the problem is only a handful are open on any given night. Our last night there we went for Italian but were told that they were booked solid until close so we were forced to eat at the buffet (again). At one of our meals, our tablecloth wasn't changed out from the previous diners..yuk!

Beverages - Nice bartenders pretty much everywhere on the property but all the liquor are generic equivalents (or less) with the exception of the beer and a couples liquors that were offered that were produced locally.

Pools - Nice. Swim up bar was in a good location. We did witness a staff member walk by an empty (throw away) cup and rather than pick it up he chose to kick it into the bushes.

All in all I would have to rate them as a low average. This is pretty much a low-end all inclusive that charges mid to higher end prices. WIll not be staying here again.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are nice.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Spent 10 wonderful days at the GP Jamaica from Nov 3 to 13th. The resort is beautiful, clean, with great food both in the buffet and in the restaurants. The staff is very friendly and courteous, always trying to help. Highly recommended hotel. We have travelled to many places in the Carribean and we will certainly return to Jamaica.

Note that not all a la carte restaurants are open every night, but this may be related to a slower season, so check the itinerary. I can recommend the Italian, the Mexican and Jamaican restaurants but did not make the Steakhouse or the Seafood due to our schedules. If you want to go to Bubba's Steakhouse, be there early...it's always full! No reservations are required for the restaurants which is great....first come first served.

If you want to go deep sea fishing, we recommend Stanley's charters in Negril.....extremely well run family business. Few fish on the day we went out but I did see 3 sperm whales which made my day!

If you're looking for a beach vacation however, go to Negril. The hotel has 3 small beach areas, that are a little rocky but still beautiful. Personal choice I suppose.....

Thanks to Dominic at the check in counter for helping us when we arrived. 5 star customer service from him and from Sharon, who cleaned our room every day.

Highly recommended resort!

Room Tip: Ask for Villa 11 on the Jamaica side if you need to be close to amenities.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear sailreddog,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review.

I am glad to read about all the wonderful experiences you had during your stay, your positive comments about the facilities, the exquisite meals, our wonderful staff and the other great aspects of our Resort which you have mentioned are greatly appreciated.

We would love to host you again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end.

Kind regards,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

While this resort is about 45 minutes away from the airport it was worth the drive. The food and service was simply outstanding. We purchased our own wine and took it to the restaurants as the quality of the house wine was not the best. It was otherwise a fabulous trip.

Room Tip: If you are wine drinker purchase your own wine from one of the stores outside of the resort. The sta...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear 311leader,

Thank you for sharing your comments. We are happy you have had such a grand time at our Resort. We would love to host you again in the near future.

Best regards,

Brampton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed at this resort Oct 3rd - Oct 10th.Except for a few minor incidents not worth mentioning we had a pleasant stay.This resort is huge, we felt we needed more time there to really enjoy all it had to offer .The staff was pleasant and attentive ,the rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable.We didn't really enjoy the after dinner evening shows, for the most part they were not to our taste,as native Jamaicans we felt as if our culture was misrepresented my husband and I travell extensively to other islands to learn the diffrent cultures and had we not being Jamaican we wouldn't have known diffrenly there is a lot more to us as a nation than what was potrayed.I do not understand why the entertainment manager was none Jamaican(Spanish) and so the real jamaican culture was deflected and was a figment of his beleif.The Nightly live Band by the Infinity Bar was always good,that i loved.With that said there's a jerk pit and restaurant by the Sunset Cove Beach but the chicken is rotisserie with sauce poured on top, so is the pork.where is the authentic jerk food? it's about time it is undertood that people are more open minded and when they come to Jamaica they come for the Authencity, there's no need to modify the taste of the food. Aside from that this rsort is definately a repeat.

Room Tip: rooms facing the ocean have a breathtaking view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear Nancy154982,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your comments from your last stay at the GP Jamaica. As we are deeply committed to achieving our guest’s total satisfaction, your opinion is very important to us.

We are more than happy to know you have had such a pleasant stay with us. We are always grateful to receive feedback about our resort as we work very hard to assure our guests have memorable vacation experiences.

We would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you have experienced during your stay. At the same time, you can feel assured that your comments helped us identify or focus on any possible deficiencies that may exist in our hotel and take whatever corrective actions may be necessary.

It is a pleasure to have had the opportunity of hosting you. We look forward to seeing you in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any upcoming visit to Palladium...

Best regards

Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We recently returned from a stay for a wedding and I have got to say that it was indeed the worst vacation I have had to date. These setiments were felt by everyone in our group of 30+ along with anyone I happen to speak with as random guests of the resort. The check in was disastorous and wrought with attitude. Upon arrival at our room it took us 20 minutes to figure out how to turn the power on in the room (thanks for the instructions). It seemed to be that there were only a handful and I do mean less than 5 individuals working at your resort that deserve their jobs. Every other person encountered at the resort was either distainful, straight up rude, or ignored your presence as clearly chatting with co-workers or talking on their cell phones was much more relevant. Although I do have to admit watching the staff drink cocktails first hand or 2 of the resort cab/bus drivers follow to intoxicated ladies into their hotel room the real highlight of what is meant by quality service. There were at least several other prize moments showed by your staff the fact that men wearing proper dress shorts (fabric not swim wear) are denied access to a restaurant while individuals with holes in their sweat pants are given access, that hostess will not seat a party of 8 individuals at a table of until all members are there as one person had to use the washroom. That only one of the waiters had the curtesy to explain what the symbols meant on the margins of the menu on our final night. That the life guards feel its appropriate to come up and demand a smoke from a guest and when the guest responds with "pardon" your lifguard continues on with "give me a [--] smokeman". I did love the fact that I walked up to staff at to use some of the equipment included in the package to have 6 members of staff just stare at the computer or their phones until and individual had to run up from his task at hand to give me a waiver, or to top it off explain to your catamaran staff that we had 2 captains both of whom had years of sailing experience and be told he would give us a "quick refresher for a SMALL FEE". I especially liked the fact that my husband had been ill for 24hrs from food served at the resort and had tried to make a presence at the wedding to become steadily worse and need a ride back to our room to have the bartender in the adults only pool skoff at me and explain to the dispatcher that I am claiming he is sick and needs a ride to wait 10 minutes and walk to the Lady hamilton lobby to request a ride directly. The fact that they ran out of alcohol on a daily basis and the fact that neither the air conditioner or bar fridge managed to keep anything cold

I can thank you directly for convincing myself and everyone I know to never ever go to Jamaica and to clearly avoid any resort associated with the palladium name

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
3.5 of 5 stars 4,463 reviews

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!