“Great place for the price!!” 4 of 5 stars

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   The Point, Lucea, Jamaica   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Vadnais Heights, Minnesota
“Great place for the price!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This place is definitely a great way to spend a week. My husband and I stumbled upon this hotel a few years back when we were looking for a last minute vacation and I am glad we did. I agree do not read the bad reviews, I did years ago and was hesitate to try this place out. The location is great, it is not in Montego bay like it's listed it is actually in a town between Negril and Montego bay, called Lucea, which I think is the perfect location. The Staff and the food were great. Last year we brought 53 of our friends along with us on our destination wedding and I didn't hear a bad word from any of them. The wedding was beautiful, there were a few little flaws that I was not happy about, however hopefully they are learning from them. The wedding/reception was pretty pricey considering it was an all inclusive resort, if I remember right they wanted $25 a plate & $15 per person for drinks....we went with the appetizer list and then paid for the extra time to have the reserved area and bar. (we also hired the recommended DJ, He was fun) I am not sure what it is like during their busy season but in their off season was perfect. great service, easy to get into the restaurants, (not as a group though, that was very hard) plenty of lounge chairs at both the beaches and the pools.

Room Tip: The Lady Hamilton side is farther away from the main pool than the Palladium side. Lady Hamilton is...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (987)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

First let start by stating that my wife and I are experienced travelers and have stayed at several all-inclusives over the years so I feel somewhat qualified in making my comments. I will bulletize them for convenience:

Arrival - No problems, rum punch was nice and aesthetically the hotel looks nice.

Check-in: Average counter staff - was not greeted with any enthusiasm, felt like they didn't care whether we were there or not. This attitude seemed prevalent among the bulk of the staff there sans a few folks working in the restaurants and the entertainment crew. On a positive note we were given a different room with a nicer view...thank you.

Rooms - They did look worn for a hotel that is only a couple years old. No one showed us all the "features" of the room..don't mean to sound picky here but this is pretty standard service in most resorts. The air conditioner was not that cold in the evening. Bed was comfortable though except to change to a different pillow on the "pillow menu" was additional charge which we were not going to pay. The foyer light switch was all the way in the back of the room...what's up with that? Beverage fridge was kept stocked but their stock levels seemed low.

Grounds - Clean and well-groomed. Covered walkways in the main thoroughfares. Again we are used to the staff greeting you anytime you cross paths but this did not happen here.

Food - Average to below average. There are several restaurants to choose from but the problem is only a handful are open on any given night. Our last night there we went for Italian but were told that they were booked solid until close so we were forced to eat at the buffet (again). At one of our meals, our tablecloth wasn't changed out from the previous diners..yuk!

Beverages - Nice bartenders pretty much everywhere on the property but all the liquor are generic equivalents (or less) with the exception of the beer and a couples liquors that were offered that were produced locally.

Pools - Nice. Swim up bar was in a good location. We did witness a staff member walk by an empty (throw away) cup and rather than pick it up he chose to kick it into the bushes.

All in all I would have to rate them as a low average. This is pretty much a low-end all inclusive that charges mid to higher end prices. WIll not be staying here again.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are nice.
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Spent 10 wonderful days at the GP Jamaica from Nov 3 to 13th. The resort is beautiful, clean, with great food both in the buffet and in the restaurants. The staff is very friendly and courteous, always trying to help. Highly recommended hotel. We have travelled to many places in the Carribean and we will certainly return to Jamaica.

Note that not all a la carte restaurants are open every night, but this may be related to a slower season, so check the itinerary. I can recommend the Italian, the Mexican and Jamaican restaurants but did not make the Steakhouse or the Seafood due to our schedules. If you want to go to Bubba's Steakhouse, be there early...it's always full! No reservations are required for the restaurants which is great....first come first served.

If you want to go deep sea fishing, we recommend Stanley's charters in Negril.....extremely well run family business. Few fish on the day we went out but I did see 3 sperm whales which made my day!

If you're looking for a beach vacation however, go to Negril. The hotel has 3 small beach areas, that are a little rocky but still beautiful. Personal choice I suppose.....

Thanks to Dominic at the check in counter for helping us when we arrived. 5 star customer service from him and from Sharon, who cleaned our room every day.

Highly recommended resort!

Room Tip: Ask for Villa 11 on the Jamaica side if you need to be close to amenities.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear sailreddog,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review.

I am glad to read about all the wonderful experiences you had during your stay, your positive comments about the facilities, the exquisite meals, our wonderful staff and the other great aspects of our Resort which you have mentioned are greatly appreciated.

We would love to host you again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end.

Kind regards,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

While this resort is about 45 minutes away from the airport it was worth the drive. The food and service was simply outstanding. We purchased our own wine and took it to the restaurants as the quality of the house wine was not the best. It was otherwise a fabulous trip.

Room Tip: If you are wine drinker purchase your own wine from one of the stores outside of the resort. The sta...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear 311leader,

Thank you for sharing your comments. We are happy you have had such a grand time at our Resort. We would love to host you again in the near future.

Best regards,

Brampton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed at this resort Oct 3rd - Oct 10th.Except for a few minor incidents not worth mentioning we had a pleasant stay.This resort is huge, we felt we needed more time there to really enjoy all it had to offer .The staff was pleasant and attentive ,the rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable.We didn't really enjoy the after dinner evening shows, for the most part they were not to our taste,as native Jamaicans we felt as if our culture was misrepresented my husband and I travell extensively to other islands to learn the diffrent cultures and had we not being Jamaican we wouldn't have known diffrenly there is a lot more to us as a nation than what was potrayed.I do not understand why the entertainment manager was none Jamaican(Spanish) and so the real jamaican culture was deflected and was a figment of his beleif.The Nightly live Band by the Infinity Bar was always good,that i loved.With that said there's a jerk pit and restaurant by the Sunset Cove Beach but the chicken is rotisserie with sauce poured on top, so is the pork.where is the authentic jerk food? it's about time it is undertood that people are more open minded and when they come to Jamaica they come for the Authencity, there's no need to modify the taste of the food. Aside from that this rsort is definately a repeat.

Room Tip: rooms facing the ocean have a breathtaking view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear Nancy154982,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your comments from your last stay at the GP Jamaica. As we are deeply committed to achieving our guest’s total satisfaction, your opinion is very important to us.

We are more than happy to know you have had such a pleasant stay with us. We are always grateful to receive feedback about our resort as we work very hard to assure our guests have memorable vacation experiences.

We would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you have experienced during your stay. At the same time, you can feel assured that your comments helped us identify or focus on any possible deficiencies that may exist in our hotel and take whatever corrective actions may be necessary.

It is a pleasure to have had the opportunity of hosting you. We look forward to seeing you in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any upcoming visit to Palladium...

Best regards

Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We recently returned from a stay for a wedding and I have got to say that it was indeed the worst vacation I have had to date. These setiments were felt by everyone in our group of 30+ along with anyone I happen to speak with as random guests of the resort. The check in was disastorous and wrought with attitude. Upon arrival at our room it took us 20 minutes to figure out how to turn the power on in the room (thanks for the instructions). It seemed to be that there were only a handful and I do mean less than 5 individuals working at your resort that deserve their jobs. Every other person encountered at the resort was either distainful, straight up rude, or ignored your presence as clearly chatting with co-workers or talking on their cell phones was much more relevant. Although I do have to admit watching the staff drink cocktails first hand or 2 of the resort cab/bus drivers follow to intoxicated ladies into their hotel room the real highlight of what is meant by quality service. There were at least several other prize moments showed by your staff the fact that men wearing proper dress shorts (fabric not swim wear) are denied access to a restaurant while individuals with holes in their sweat pants are given access, that hostess will not seat a party of 8 individuals at a table of until all members are there as one person had to use the washroom. That only one of the waiters had the curtesy to explain what the symbols meant on the margins of the menu on our final night. That the life guards feel its appropriate to come up and demand a smoke from a guest and when the guest responds with "pardon" your lifguard continues on with "give me a [--] smokeman". I did love the fact that I walked up to staff at to use some of the equipment included in the package to have 6 members of staff just stare at the computer or their phones until and individual had to run up from his task at hand to give me a waiver, or to top it off explain to your catamaran staff that we had 2 captains both of whom had years of sailing experience and be told he would give us a "quick refresher for a SMALL FEE". I especially liked the fact that my husband had been ill for 24hrs from food served at the resort and had tried to make a presence at the wedding to become steadily worse and need a ride back to our room to have the bartender in the adults only pool skoff at me and explain to the dispatcher that I am claiming he is sick and needs a ride to wait 10 minutes and walk to the Lady hamilton lobby to request a ride directly. The fact that they ran out of alcohol on a daily basis and the fact that neither the air conditioner or bar fridge managed to keep anything cold

I can thank you directly for convincing myself and everyone I know to never ever go to Jamaica and to clearly avoid any resort associated with the palladium name

Saint Cloud, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed at this resort with friends Nov 3-10, 2012. We all had a really great time. Check in and check out was very easy even though we had diffuculties getting there due to "airline problems". We were supposed to arrive there at 11 am and it ended up being 10 pm thanks to American Airlines and the confusion at the Montego Bay airport as to who was going to transport us. Our room was great however my husband and friends had a couple of cold showers.The mini bar consisted of 2 Red Stripes, 2 bottles of water, 1 coke, 1 diet coke, 1 sprite and 1 orange soda which was stocked accordingly every day. If you wanted more there was a fee. The bed was comfortable but the couch was not. Air conditioner worked great as long as we kept a key in the slot to keep the electric on. If you took the key out all electric was off which caused you to reset your clock everytime. The view from our balcony was absoulutely beautiful. View of the ocean with great sunset photos taken. There was no room service but this resort is rather large and I can understand that. I would not reccommend shopping at the shops at the resort (except the duty free) as their sales tax is 16 %. Also, as our Apple representative told us, do not exchange your American money for Jamaican money. All places there take your American dollar. Make sure you do not take large bills as change is limited at the resort. They only "change" up to $40.00 per person and run out quick. Take small bills cause if you go shopping off resort most of tha place "will not have change". The adult pool was quite close to our room which lead to another beautiful beach. The main pool (which is where we all went the most) was great!! The bartenders at that pool made for great entertainment. Drinks were given in small cups so I would reccommend taking your own mug as they would fill them! While we were at the pool bar all of our belongings were left at the lounge chairs and nobody ever bothered them. We never once had any problems with staff or security. Once in the room we could not hear anything from the outside. The food was "ok". Our favorite restaurant would be the Asian dining. It was the best meal we had there. I also would reccommend the Jerk Hut. As far as the steak restaurant we would only reccommend the Filet. That is what I ordered and it was really good. My husband got the ribeye and he said it wasnt that good as it was all fat and grissle. I heard other people commenting as well that the filet is the best thing to get there. As far as the excursions....well let me just say the best one we had was with a taxi driver rather than booking through Apple...Booking through Apple you are on a time limit. With the taxi you can do what you want for how long you want as the driver stays with you the entire time and will take you anywhere you want to go. We asked our driver to take us to a restaurant that had authentic Jamiacan food. He took us to a place called Sweet Spice. The food was great and was very inexpensive. The only disappointing thing about that restaruant was that my friend wanted to try the ox tail and they were out. He also made stops along the way to give us a bit of history about the island which we all found informative. The one excursion that we booked through Apple was not as good. We went to the Black River, YS falls and Appleton Rum. The black river was good however the lunch was late which put us behind. We only had an hour at the falls and then off to the Rum. We was supposed to return to the resort around 630 pm but did not get back until 8pm. Mind you we were picked up at 715 am, had to go to 2 other resorts in Negril before heading out and was the last ones to be dropped off. The breakfast buffets opens at 7 am which only gave us 15 minutes to be seated, eat and get to the lobby for pick up. Lunch was around 1130 at the black river (which was ok but not great for an extra fee) and there was no where to eat from that time until we got back to the resort. When we voiced our concern to the tour guide, her response to us was "Next time stay in Negril". How rude and unprofessional. Over all we all had a great time and would problaby return.

Dear Tracie K,

We would like to thank you for taking the time in giving us your valued feedback in regards to your experience. Thank you also for your good comments about our resort and facilities. We really appreciated it.

As a five star resort, the comfort and satisfaction of our guests takes very high priority. While our team has put their best effort in addressing the matter in a timely manner; you might have experienced some challenges, for which we would like to apologize.

It is a pleasure to have had the opportunity of hosting you. We look forward to seeing you in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact us; if there is anything at all we can do from this end.

Best Regards,

Assistant Room Division Director

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!