“Awesome trip! Excellent first experience in Jamaica” 4 of 5 stars

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   The Point, Lucea, Jamaica   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
New Berlin, Wisconsin
“Awesome trip! Excellent first experience in Jamaica”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Myself, my fiance and another couple traveled to Jamaica and stayed at the Grand Palladium the week of 10/27/12 - 11/3/12. SO glad we missed all the Hurricaine Sandy stuff but it didn't seem to have much affect on that part of the country.

When we arrived, we were greeted warmly and given a welcome drink right off the bat....the rum punch is delish! Although we weren't able to get to our room immediately (it was around 1pm when we arrived and the rooms were still being cleaned), our room was assigned and we had rooms right next to the other couple we traveled with (which was a nice perk!). After a little lunch and checking out some of the excursions, we were taken to our rooms in villa 16. I'm not sure how we got so lucky but we had ocean-front rooms on the second floor. PERFECT!!! Plus it was on the 'Jamaica' side of the resort which in my opinion is better than the Lady Hamilton side - a bit closer to the restaurants, pool, etc.

The pool here is HUGE!!! It's literally the biggest pool I've seen. It was a little dirty but we still spent every day in it - very much enjoyed the swim up bar as well! Before coming here I was a little hesitant because my fiance and I are big beach/ocean swimmers and in reading the reviews, it was a little nervous that we would be disappointed. We did check out Sunset Cove, classified as the nicest beach on the resort, but it was still nothing like what we had in Mexico. Luckily for the pool though - kept us more than happy! This resort is also in a great location - pretty much right in the middle of Negril and Montego Bay, so traveling to either is only a 30 min ride. During our stay, the place seemed barely half-full - not overcrowded in any way and were able to enjoy all the pools, bars and restaurants without many other people there. Awesome!

Restaurants were pretty good. Buffets were typical, nothing awesome, nothing terrible. Tried the Italian, Asian, Jamaican, Steakhouse, Seafood and Mexican restaurants. Seafood (Poisidon) was the best - Salmon was great! And what we though would be our favorite (Bubba's steakhouse) turned out to be the worst. They ran out of filet mignon!! It was the one thing we were looking forward to at all the restaurants. C'est la vie. Also ate at the Sports Bar for lunch a few days and I loved the self-serve nacho station. Philly cheesesteak was awesome there too...along with self-serve ice cream. There is no way you'd go hungry at this resort.

We watched the nightly entertainment and you can tell the staff enjoys what they do and tries to put on a great show each night. The staff put on a special Halloween show that was done really well and was by far my favorite. Staff overall at this resort are VERY helpful and super friendly. We had an issue with an excursion and the staff went out of their way to help get it resolved.

We're very happy we chose this resort - everything was great for the most part. Before coming I read all the reviews and have now come to the conclusion that anyone who has negative things to say about this place are probably pretty hard to please because no place is perfect, but Grand Palladium had a lot of great things to offer!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Grizzles66,

Thank you very much for your good comments about our resort and for taking the time to explain your experience with us. It’s a pleasure to realize that you had a great time with your fiance and another couple, as our aim is to provide memorable vacations to our guests.

I am pleased to know you loved the accommodations, our big pool, the exquisite meals and the entertainment among the other great aspects of our Resort which you have mentioned.

Thank you again and we look forward for your next visit, and please, do not hesitate to contact us for any request or further comment.

Kindest regards,

Assistant Room Division Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,054)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Piscataway, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

From the outside looking in the resort was beautiful You can take great photos. But once you paid attention, the construction quality was poor. I thought the resort was about 20 years old and one of the workers said it was 5 year old. We were shocked. The bellmen, grounds keepers, maid service and maintenance people were very friendly. The front desk and restaurant staff were not, except for the trainees at the buffet. You clearly felt that Management , service and motivational training was needed.

We had a tv the was so blurry, I could not see the score of the football game. We called for service and it took serveral days before someone came. Maintenance they really only came because we had a problem with the air conditioning. But each day we would get and call to say "Is your tv working?" I would explain it works but it is very blurry.

We were there for a destination wedding and the staff forgot to give the bride and groom the honeymoon cottage. We had a family of about 40 members there and when we voiced all of the issues each family member had, they said we could all have dinner at the Italian restaurant. When we got there at 5:30pm (no one in the restaurant but us), the restaurant staff indicated that the could only accomodate 15 at a time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Kearny, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Came here with a few of my friends in March 2009 for Spring Break. The resort had only been open for a few months prior to my arriving so everything was brand new. I loved the location because it wasn't near the hectness of Negril and it wasn't near the touristy area like Montego Bay. The resort sits right in between both locations. I did travel to Negril to Rick's Cafe and spend an afternoon there to party and cliff dive and we went there one night as well to party. The resort itself is huge and there is so much to do. The resort has its own little night club, game room and they do activities throughout the day. I recommend the steak house and the mexican themed restaurant. All very good! Make sure to order a WooWoo or a Bob Marley shot at one of the numerous bars.

Room Tip: Make sure to tip your servers and waiters - they will give you extra portions at the a'la carte...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Dan B,

Thank you very much for your good comments about our resort and for taking the time to explain your experience with us. It’s a pleasure to realize that you had a great time with your friends here, as our aim is to provide memorable vacations to our guests.

I hope you will be able to come back soon to enjoy the Palladium hospitality again.

Kindest regards,

san antonio, tx
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed the week of Oct. 27 until Nov. 3. We were lucky, "Sandy" did not affect the west end of the island. The grounds of the hotel had been cleaned by our arrival time, but were not up to the standards of other reviews.
There were 4 of us on a time share swap through RCI. We had a full suite and connecting jr. suite. This was not easy to get. But, through the help of Laura Lopez, it finally happened. We wanted an ocean view, 2nd floor, connecting, in Villas 32, 33 or 34. First they tried to put us in Villa 16, then 26, and finally got what we wanted in Villa 33. I suggest that you contact via email or phone the assistant accommodations manager, Laura Lopez with your room request.
There are several villas I don't recommend 26, 27 or 28 unless you want music at night from the open air night club.
I did not want to be close to all the action, was looking for peace and quite. Did not mind walking for 5 minutes to get to main pool or food service.
I don't suggest staying on the first floor due to night crickets or third floor with poorer a/c. Also there are no elevators and did not want to climb an extra flight of stairs on top of the walking. We never took the golf carts except at check in and out.
The food was just like a cruise ship, at lot of it, but just average. We did not have a meal that was great except the jerk chicken shack on Sunset Cove. This is the best beach on the property, no rocks and water sports.
My biggest complaint were the beds and pillows, both very very hard. Feather pillows are available for $3 per day per pillow!
The best thing was the staff, all very friendly and helpful.
I also recommend checking palladiumaddict.net for additional information about the property.

Dear lulucrunch,

First of all I want to thank you for sharing your feedback. I remember you!!

We are so sorry for not being able to fulfill your request since the begining; unfortunatelly requests are not guaranteed and are based on valailability on arrival date. We are happy to know that finally we could find you a solution.

About our food, we are so sorry if you did not enjoyed it, specially when we have a variety of 8 different restaurants a la carte within the Resort and 3 restaurants buffets.

We appreciate your positive comments about our Sunset Cove beach and our wonderful staff. They are indeed some of the friendliest people that you will come across.

Thank you again and in case if you need further assistance for future vacations please, do not hesitate to let me know.

Best Regards,

Rego Park, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I went to the Grand Palladium with our seven-month-old baby daughter. Travelling with an infant is a daunting task and we were nervous about every nuance going in. But we ended up having a fantastic time.

We requested a crib for the baby and the hotel was very accommodating, getting us a crib within just a few hours after arrival - although we did have to call it in from our room, even though we asked for it in the reservation and emailed them beforehand to ask them. The place was very baby-friendly. The staff just loved our little girl; the servers and managers at the restaurants frequently played with her and even watched her, next to our table, while we ate. We also had a jacuzzi in our room, which we loved to use, and the room itself was so spacious and cozy.

The restaurants were sooo good. Delicious food from all over the world, and so many of them to choose from. We were filled to the brim every day.

The pool is enormous - the largest in Jamaica from what I understand. We all had a great time in the pool, in various locations throughout the hotel area. There was often a shortage in towels, though, which I think was unfortunate.

The one complaint we would have is that the beaches were not very inviting. There are two main beaches - one next to the pool at the Grand Palladium, and the other at the adjoining Lady Hamilton. The one next to the pool was extremely rocky. You couldn't go in barely a few feet without getting stabbed and jabbed by hard rocks. Not many people were at this beach, but we tried it a few times, finding some shallow spots to let the baby take a dip. The other beach - at Lady Hamilton, is more of a cove. So it feels like a lake, but it's still pristine and beautiful. It's biggest downturn is that there were so many ants and bugs.

I would recommend the spa here as well. We got great massages for an affordable price.

Overall, it's a nice place to go for a family, but don't go for the beaches!

Room Tip: Try to find rooms closer to the main lobby. Otherwise you're in for a very long walk, with spora...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear PaulM123,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments. I am happy to know that you have had such a fantastic time at our 5 star Resort. We appreciate your positive comments about the facilities, the exquisite meals and our wonderful staff. And I am happy you enjoyed our massive pool, the largest on the island.

We are proud to inform we are one of the few Hotels who have earned the Blue Flag certification which speaks directly to natural, clean and healthy beaches. It is also difficult to understand how you felt dissatisfied with our beaches..

We would love to host you again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end.

Best regards,

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at the Grand Palladium from September 1-5 and loved it! Since we were on our honeymoon, we were given a honeymoon suite with a living room and a bedroom as well as 2 balconies. We were also given a fruit platter as we arrived at the resort. The room was nice and cool and the resort was beautiful. The people working at the resort were also very friendly. The only thing we didn't enjoy too much was the food, especially the Mexican restaurant as it took forever for us to be seated and served and the food was not the best. Also, we didnt enjoy the restaurant at Sunset Cove although the beach was nice.

We would go back again though.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mehreen B,

First of all I want to thank you for sharing your feedback and these very nice comments about the Resort and the staff that you make special effort about their good service.
In Grand Palladium we have a very strong commitment with our Guest to apply all the experience that we have to make of every family that comes to the Hotel to have a great experience.

We are sorry you did not enjoy our meals. With 3 buffets offering different theme nights daily, 7 a la carte restaurants we want to believe that there is adequate variety for everyone. We will nonetheless include your concerns in our briefings in an effort to continuously improve our service and product.

We invite you to visit in the near future to experience more that our Resort has to offer.
Thank you again and in case if you need further assistance for future vacations do not hesitate to let me know.

Best Regards,

Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

well for starters the check in was a mess!!! our rooms were not doubled they were singled..after 30min they fixed it,,the front desk staff was not helpful.we went on a ladies vacation with 24 adult women...the restaurants were not accomidating to our large group they had us sitting at 3 different tables.the gift shop was wayyyyyy over priced and told one of our guest to SHUT UP AND HUSH!!!! now to our villa!!!! the room STINK HORRIBLE!!!! not enough towels...bathroom was dirty..now to really top it off myself and another one of my friends hotel room was found open when we awaken at 6 am...security was called and they accused us of not locking our room door.... that was was BULL!!!!!!!! i dont ever wanna go back there ever again not even if it was for free...

Room Tip: go to another resort...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear nicole w,

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your review.

We are sorry for not being able to fulfil your request to be accommodated in rooms with double beds and put you in rooms king size bed. Unfortunately requests are not guaranteed and are based on availability on arrival date. We are happy to know that finally our reception staff could find you a solution.

We apologize for the challenges with the gift shop. Although they are an independent company, we would be happy to intervene on your behalf in order to redress any grievances.

We will nonetheless include all your concerns in our briefings in an effort to continuously improve our service and product.

It would be nice if we could welcome you back in the future in order you can change you mind about us. Thank you for your attention.

Assistant Room Division Director

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!