“Grand Palladium Service Excells!” 5 of 5 stars

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   The Point, Lucea, Jamaica   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Grand Palladium Service Excells!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

We stayed at the Grand Palladium Jamaica soon after it first opened in September, 2008. We make several trips a year to the Caribbean and this is still our favorite resort.
It is impressive that the general manager, Mr. Dimitris Kosvogiannis, takes time to answer his guest's concerns however negative they may be. He sets a good example for the resort staff and anyone who visits this resort will know that everyone there goes out of their way to make your vacation enjoyable. We are returning this Sept. 17 and hope to see some familiar faces from our last visit!
Scottsville Travelers

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
CustomerRelations_11, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
Thank you for leaving your review. We are pleased that you have considered our Resort to be first choice for your vacations. We extend a warm welcome to all returning guests as we appreciate their loyalty and we are always happy to host them in true Palladium Style. We look forward to your visit next month. Please do not hesitate if there is anything that we can do from this end.

Kind Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,106)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
NORTH RICHLAND HILLS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

We just returned on Aug. 20th from a 7 day stay. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The resort was beautiful, but HUGE! The check in could have been a little more streamlined as we registered then were given another paper to fill out before we were taken to our room. In my opinion the second paper we filled out had duplicate information and was not needed. The rating may have been lower if we had not been located in a villa as close to the main bldg. and restaurants as we were, just across the walkway from the quiet pool. We are both retired, which will give you an idea of our age. The walk from some of the villas further out would have really made it difficult for getting around. Granted, they did have golf carts that were only a phone call away, but who wants to have to call for a ride everytime you wanted to go somewhere in the resort. which was great. Luckily we both are able to get around well.An elevator would have been nice in the villa since we were on the 3rd floor. We had an ocean front room, so the views were really great. I had second thoughts about the resort after reading quite a few negative reviews, but have learned to take some of them with a grain of salt, as we had previously read reviews about resorts we had stayed at that weren't anything like we found. We found out that the same was true for this place. Many complained about the non functioning A/C. We did not find that to be the case. The fan doesn't blow out the register like the one at home, but it kept the room very comfortable. Each room had a device just inside the door that required the room key to be inserted, for the A/C to run. I also found that the ceiling fan was running the wrong direction. Once I reversed that, you could feel the breeze. We did have a couple of power outages a couple of the nights, but the time period was very short, only about 1 to 2 minutes. We never had any problem with any of the staff. I never passed one that didn't have some type of greeting and none held out their hands for tips like I had read in some reviews. A lot of them even enjoyed entering into a conversation with you. We ate all of our meals in the buffet as we enjoy picking out what and how much we eat, so have no opinion on the A La Carte restaurants. We did make it over to the Jerk Chicken Hut and found the food to be worth the walk. We did notice though that there was only a certain amount made, so it was kind of like a first come first served. We got plenty to eat, but had heard from others that they ended up going to the restaurant next door to finish their meal as they didn't get enough at the hut. We found the service at the buffet to be very good with the staff being cheerful and willing to be of service to you. Only on one occasion did we find the service at the restaurant below what we were used to getting and that was at breakfast on the morning we left. It appeared that none of the regular staff we had seen during the week were there and the table service was extremely slow. We had to ask several times just to get our water glasses and coffee cups filled. I believe that the only thing that would keep us from returning is the enormous size of the resort, which I understand is about to get larger, and the possibility of getting a villa further away from the main bldg. and restaurants next time, which I wouldn't like.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time out to leave your review. It is a delight to hear that you have had such wonderful experiences at our beautiful Resort. We are grateful for your positive comments about the accommodations, property and our staff.

Check in is the point where our guests are first orientated with the property. Registration is your general information which is provided from the information given through reservations. The second sheet to which you refer is a Kardex. This form requires additional information that can only be provided upon arrival and is later logged in our system. You also had the option of completing the kardex at your convenience and handing it in before your check out.

I apologize for the power outages which you experienced and as you said they only last for a matter of seconds. This is by no means the fault of the property but is also experience all over the island.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the meals offered at the buffet and also the Jerk Hut. It would have been wonderful if you had tried the a la carte restaurants. You would have found the menus to be exquisite and equally delicious.

We would love for you to return to our Resort in the future and it was our pleasure hosting you. Please do not hesitate if there is anything that we can do from this end.

Kind Regards
Bellevue, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a little over a week at the end of May 2011. After reading many of the reviews we were a little worried. Overall, It was a BLAST! There is always something to do and the dinner restaurants were pretty good. The breakfast buffet wasn't very good so we often waited until lunch time to eat. The pools were beautiful and always a bar near by. The sunset cove beach was a fun little get away that was never too packed. It was a nice touch that you could take out the catamarans and paddle boats free of charge. The jerk chicken hut is delicious and you can get the spicy option or mild. Don’t worry about the bad reviews. You will have a blast either way. YES, there is a lot of working but who cares?? You shouldn’t be in a hurry as your on vacation. If you really don’t like walking type the cart drivers a few bucks and they will take you where ever you want to go. Overall, we had an AMAZING TIME!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
CustomerRelations_11, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 25, 2011
Greetings! Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We are happy to know that you had an amazing vacation at our Resort. As a team we work assiduously to assure our guests have memorable experiences during their vacation.

We are grateful for all your positive comments. It is a delight to know that you enjoyed the meals at the a la carte restaurants and also lunch by the buffet. Although breakfast wasn’t your favourite, majority of our guests find breakfast to be wonderful as we offer a continental breakfast menu and the options are great.

It is good to know you enjoyed the pools to be beautiful and our beaches the same. The Sunset Cove is first choice for majority of our guests and with the water sports offered here you will be sure to have a fun filled day.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we look forward to your visit in the future

Best Regards
Prince Frederick, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

I’m sorry I am a little late in submitting this review of the Grand Palladium but I wanted to make sure what I was writing were not just “off the cuff” remarks. I wanted to give some thought to what I wanted to say about the stay my family experienced. I traveled with my wife, 17 year old son, and his 17 year-old girlfriend for the week of July 4 through July 11.

First off – WONDERFUL! From the time I first contacted you about our “special requests” to our checking out, the staff at the Grand Palladium was nothing but professional. Oh sure some things weren’t “exactly” perfect. But hey … you still far exceeded our expectations. The facility itself is just magnificent.

Check-in was painless as Shanna-Lee was extremely accommodating and patient with us. Since we were a little early she directed us to the buffet for lunch while the final touches on our room were made. After lunch we went back to see when our rooms would be ready. Before we even got to the desk, Shanna-Lee held up our room keys for us to come and get.

Our luggage was loaded on a shuttle bus and we were driven to our rooms (the gentleman even carried ALL of our luggage up to our rooms). Upon entering our rooms we literally had our breaths taken away by the accommodations. We had two one-bedroom suites (boy’s #19 and girl’s #18) that were right next to each other in the corner on the second floor of unit #12. We had the best of both worlds - oceanfront and pool front suites. Our maid, Pat was the most enjoyable lady one could hope to meet. She always had a smile on her face. Any request we made she handled it promptly. She was so nice to us we hated to bother her for anything.

We ate many of our meals at the buffet but we did manage to eat at all of the ala carte restaurants that were open – with the exception of the Asian. Our favorite – the Mexican (look out for the salsa – HOT, but oh so good). We also ate at the Italian twice. Our least favorite was the Cajon. But this is just OUR opinion. Be forewarned that all of the ala carte restaurants on the SECOND FLOOR require the men to wear slacks and a collared shirt. A little uncomfortable but not something that would ruin a vacation.

The beaches were rocky but we knew that from previous reviews. We brought our own snorkeling equipment and the snorkeling was great. But we spent most of our time at the Infinity Pool. That thing is HUGE!! Also, there are so many activities going on during the day over in the western side (by the bar and bathrooms). For winning the horseshoe competition my son and I got a bottle of rum. I also got another bottle of rum when I was picked out of the audience to portray the singer Shakira during the evening entertainment at the Lady Hamilton Theater.

All in all I would highly recommend the Grand Palladium to anyone who is willing to have a good time without expectations. What they do for you, and how they treat you, will blow you away! The staff would always great us with a smile or a “How’s it goin’ Mon”. My only negative about the whole trip were the guests. I would estimate that 90% of them would pass you on the path and not even make eye contact or smile. Most of them looked like they didn’t know how to enjoy themselves. No vacation is going to be perfect. You let the little things slide and appreciate what you have. This is Jamaica, and for Jamaica this was pretty close to a 5-star all-inclusive establishment. No problem, Mon!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

We went to the Grand Palladium Jamaica for a wedding with 30 people from June 19th - June 26th. I am an experienced traveler, and from the reviews I had been reading, was a bit nervous about coming to this resort, but have learned that reviews should be taken with a grain of salt, as someone could travel to the Buckingham Palace and think it was a dump.

When we arrived at the Grand Palladium, the views of the lobby, even though it was under construction, and water were absolutely breath taking. It was very clean, and well taken care of.

At check in, some rooms were ready and others were not. Front desk staff was not friendly at all. I was very shocked by this, but we did just come in with 30 other people, and thought maybe they were a bit over whelmed.

Our room was one that was not available, which was fine, and our luggage was in our room when we were able to go into it. The rooms are beautiful. We had 2 balconies, one that looked at the ocean, and another that over looked the resort. We were on the 3rd floor and the air conditioning did not work well. There were many days/nights when we came back to the room and it was actually warm in our room... We did not complain about this, as it wasn't something that was going to ruin our vacation. The maids did an amazing job every day! Our maid would even leave us nice little notes every couple days. The refrigerator stocking people were great too! Beds were very comfortable, and there were flat screen tvs in living area and bedroom. The shower was awesome, had amazing water pressure. All in all our room experience was good!

The main pool was awesome. Not only was the water a good temperature, but it was clean all the time. We never saw any bugs, straws, etc floating around. Kudos to the pool staff. The views of the main pool are great, and so are the views from the main pool! Pool bar staff, well,they are another story... Daily, they looked like they did not want to be at work, and were unwilling to help us. We were not obnoxious or rude at all, so I was very shocked at the lack of customer service at the pool bar. One couple that was with us, who have never been all inclusive but have talked to others about how great it is, actually said "Maybe the resort tells the staff to not be friendly toward us.". Isn't that unbelievable?!? That's when I knew the customer service of this resort was in need of some serious training!

Food...Well, I think the buffets were very well stocked and food was good. I enjoyed the Asian restaurant the most. The food was great, even though it took us 2 hours to eat dinner, I would have went again. Sports bar was good "American " food. Definitely go there if you want some nachos or a burger. The Jerk Chicken Hut is AWESOME, but it's quite a walk from the main pool. Definitely take the walk at least once and try it, you will not regret it. We did have dinner at the seafood restaurant, but it wasn't awesome. The Mexican restaurant was really cool looking, but the waiter forgot to put our order in, so we only had the salad bar. We left after waiting for 2 hours for our food that never showed up. The biggest bummer was by the time we left the Mexican, the buffets were already closed... Had to go to the gift shop and buy some chips. The only thing I think, in the food department of this resort, that was missing was room service... I know you may not think it's necessary, but we had one of our party that got very very sick. They would not let us take any bread or anything from the buffets for him. We were told to go to the gift shop and purchase things. His wife spent $98 in vitamin water and $55 in crackers for him. I think that was terribly rude of the staff. An all-inclusive resort should offer something for everyone.

Now onto the wedding... It was beautiful. We had a bad day of weather that day, but it did not ruin our day. I would NOT recommend anyone having a wedding at this resort, due to the wedding planner and her unprofessional relationship she has with the brides. Also, it is VERY VERY expensive compared to other resorts. But, I cannot say the ceremony wasn't beautiful.

All in all, we did have a great time, but I think it was due to the people we were with and what we all made of the situations that went on around us. This resort is definitely beautiful, but we will probably never return to this resort or stay at any other Grand Palladium on any other vacations. I would like to thank the maids and grounds keepers for all their hard work. They definitely make this place beautiful!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Kingston, Jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

I did my research as I usually do on Tripadvisor and was impressed with Grand Palladium, they had mostly good reviews and I was also very impressed that GP takes the time to answer comments whether or not they are good or bad.

As soon as I paid, GP started to get a string of bad reviews, I began to get a little worried but it was paid for so I went.

Check in was a breeze, friendly and helpful, actually all the staff were pleasant. The room was great, very nice, the food was also very good, we went to two of the a-la-carte restaurants and they were excellent, desserts was also very good. I have yet to go to a property and be disappointed with the grounds, these were well kept. The hotel is HUGE. The entertainment was also very good. As for the Spa, it is a must the prices are reasonable and the service is great.

We had that key not working issue and had to walk back to the front desk to have them reprogrammed but no big deal my wife needed the exercise.

Other reviews speak about construction which is going on near the lobby. From what I saw it is properly sealed off and is of no inconvenience to guest.

There were two disappointments with the hotel, the liquor is not premium and taste watered down some times and the beach is rocky but the water is nice since the hotel is close to Negril which has the best beaches in Jamaica.

I plan to go back soon.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
CustomerRelations_11, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
Greetings! Thank you for taking the time out to leave your review. We are elated that you have had such a memorable vacation at our resort. We are thankful for all your positive comments about our property, accommodations and staff.

We welcome all feedback from our guests, whether negative or positive, as they assist us in improving our product. It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed the meals served at our restaurants. I must say that all our bars serve brand liquor and premium liquor can be had at the Miss Lou bar.

We have three beaches on property which are all great for swimming and are also used for snorkeling and other water sport activities. Our Sunset Cove beach is always a favourite for majority of our guests that visit our Resort.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we look forward to your visit in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end.

Best Regards
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

We came here for my brothers weddng, their ceremony was beautiful and well organized due to weather they had it in the spa as opposed to the beach.
Con's --> Our bathroom shower leaked into our bathroom, every day when we showered the bathroom was soaked and ther was a leak directly above the toilet as well, we told the made she wiped it up, we were so busy we never bothered to call front desk
--> Construction was huge on half of the resort men balancing on tiny boards no harnesses or anything it looked very dangerous
---> the only time we were offered marijuana was when my boyfriend was holding our 1 years old daughter walking with my mom, his mother in law... weird..
---> They offer to teach you how to snorkel and how to windsurf but don't tell you until last minute that it costs money
---> Mexican a la carte was disgusting
---> The only place to eat Jamaican food was a tiny hut on one of the beaches which always had a line
---> Quite a far drive from the airport
Pro's --> The beach was beautiful, stunning.
--> the people were all professional and very kind and accommodating
--> The a la cartes were greatespecially the asian, and the sake!
---> Jerk chicken hut was AMAZING!
---> the bellhops always offered rides to you because the resort is so big
This resort was very expensive to book, for us anyway, if we could ever get a good deal or win the lottery, we would LOVE to come back!
Hope this is helpful! I would recommend this resort!m

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!