“Beautiful Resort and Lovely People” 5 of 5 stars

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   The Point, Lucea, Jamaica   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Lucea
Montreal
“Beautiful Resort and Lovely People”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

The Grand Palladium was as beautiful as we remembered it to be (this was our second visit). The food is great, the resort is kept so well-maintained and clean (it's impressive to see that there is constant work being done and improvements being made) and, as always, the Jamaican people are lovely. Once you've been to a high-end resort, most of them seem very similar to one another, with a few minor differences. The thing that makes this resort so attractive is the food is delicious (even in the daily buffet), the a la carte restaurants do not require reservations (it's first come, first served) and the people are absolutely wonderful, and never intrusive or pushy to join in on the activities, like some of the other resorts we've been to in Dominican, Cuba and Mexico.

The only less then stellar comment I would have is that the beach is a little rocky when you are entering the water but once you are past that area, it's fine. The water is nice and calm for swimming as you are in a little cove so the choppier water doesn't seem to penetrate that area. We spent most of our days by the amazing infinity pool anyway!

All this to say that we had an incredible time. Although May is considered the rainy season in Jamaica (?), we did not see one drop of rain. It was beautiful blue skies and sun for the entire trip! I would highly recommend this resort to anyone wishing to travel to Jamaica. If all the Grand Palladiums are as impressive as this one, we will definitely have to try out another Grand Palladium in the future!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

3,512 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (919)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Katy, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

First off, don't let the negative reviews put you off. Things weren't quite as bad as the reviews I had read, but there was some truth to them. Here's my take on what was overall a great vacation but much too short.

Pros:
Beautiful scenery everywhere! The rooms were spacious and had two balconies: living room had ocean view & bedroom had mountain view...best of both!! Property is huge so there is always somehing new to see & do. Staff was gracious & accommodating. Their were always beach towels available and finding a spot in the sun was no problem, whether you wanted to sit in the sun or hide under shade..no problem, mon...The breakfast buffets were great with fresh squeezed juice every morning. My fave was the papaya juice. And both tours we booked were extraordinary! We went on 65-ft Catamaran Sunset Cruise & River Rafting down the Martha Brae River. The last day spent at Sunset Cove was by far the best; this is the best/non rocky beach on property!!

Cons:
Size of the property was a problem for my boyfriend and friends we traveled with...too much walking for them. Although I had asked our maid to keep the curtains closed in the bedroom to keep it cool enough to sleep at night she continuously DID NOT do this but promptly asked for a tip on departure...that was a bit tasteless. The tours were great (Sunset Cruise & River Rafting) but pricey & when you went on them, the locals reminded you how poor they were and badgered you to death for tips unrelentingly. When my boyfriend lost his sunglasses cliff diving the young boy who found them wanted a $10 reward! He promptly told him what he could do with them!! It was by far the worst part of the off-property tours. Same thing rafting, they gave us a great tour but unabashedly asked for a $50 tip!!! That was almost the cost of the tour!! The restaurants operate on different hours/days and it's quite confusing. Our friends tried the "dress code" restaurants but found them lacking in both quality & taste. We found the "dress code" silly and chose to frequent the buffets at night but the food and selections were average at best. My tip to Mgmt: hire betterchefs, qualified to cook what is offered on the menu.

I'm a beach bum at heart so I was determined to not let the negative phase my mood or jade my experience. I would return in a heartbeat but avoid the tourist trap of tours involving locals/over tipping pressures.

Room Tip: Stay at Lady Hamilton, they have the best beach.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

The stay was pleasant. There are many good things to say....it is a resort away from the city so it was peaceful and relaxing. The facility and grounds are lovely--much like the pictures portray. Like any establishment, there are great employees and others to be avoided. Dominoc at the front desk was downright rude--a terrible first impression. In fact, many of the front desk people could be so described with the exception of Paltroy who was a gem. The servers, bellmen, groundspeople, bar servers, etc. were most gracious. Restaurants were satisfactory--not over the top--but it is all-inclusive. The italian restaurant had the best food but the wait was long. Asian had some good dishes and the steakhouse was fair. No reservations are needed so that was a bonus.
Best thing we did....hire a private taxi driver for the trip to Negril. It might seem expensive but it was the best thing we could have done.....first class service, a bit of history on the drive, tips for shopping....did what we wanted and we were not tied to a set agenda.

Room Tip: Talk to the right person. Find a smile!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Warren, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

My husband and I took a belated honeymoon in Jamaica from May 5th to May 11th. After much debating, we decided to stay in Jamaica instead of the Dominican Republic. It was a good choice, since it was both of our first time in the Carribean. The Jamaica and Lady Hamilton lobbies are absolutley stunning, completly open atriums to the air and sea. The resort grounds are HUGE! We got lost a couple of times on our stay, but especially the first day. The infinity pool in spectacular and the swim up bar was one of our favorite hangouts. We also enjoyed the hammocks on the beach by the pool, but that beach was alittle too rocky to swim in. If you want to swim at the beach, Sunset Cove is by far the better one. We enjoyed the italian resteraunt the most, also the sports bar and the 2 buffets. I wasn't impressed with Posideon's and we never ate at the Creol or Asian resteraunts because the food choices just didn't interest us. We were at the Sports bar at least once a day. On our last day, we discovered the Infinity bar which has live music and a little cafe next to that which serves desserts and coffee. There was always something to do by the pool like volleyball or a beach bbq. The rooms were very nice and we had an awesome jacuzzi that we got lots of use out of. The only complaints I have about the resort are the breakfast buffet got really old by the third day. They always had the same selection of food availabl;e and nothing else was open. The resteraunt schedules are very weird. It took us a full day to figure out which places were going to be open when. The air conditioner in our room got me really sick by day 4 with a headcold. It must be full of mold or dust, but it was too hot to sleep without it most nights. My husband and I are still suffering from residual symptoms from this. Other than that, we don't really have any complaints about the resort. I would definetly stay at a Grand Palladium again. I don't know if we would go back to Jamaica again, however. It is a very, very poor country. To the point where I dreaded leaving the resort to go on excursions to Negril. The Jamaican women, for the most part, have very bad attitudes, on the resort and off. I think it is just part of their culture, but they were super aggressive with it the moment you began to disagree with them about something. As soon as you step out the the airport in Montego Bay (which is a dumpy airport when you arrive, but the area where you depart is very nice) there will be a crowd of taxi drivers there to greet you. When I say greet, I mean hassel you to drive you to your hotel, or sell you pot. I definetly want to go back to the Carribean, but maybe Aruba or Barbados next time!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

I have never stayed in an all inclusive until my trip to the Grand Palladium JAmaica. I will never go to one again. The food was not edible..The food was left out too long and flies were everywhere. The Jerk Shack chopped the chicken with a clever and small bones and charred chicken is what you got.
The staff was mostly unfriendly with a few exceptions. After being advised that the only way to get decent service was to tip, I did so, only to be followed the next day wanting another tip.It was very unnerving.
The weather was beautiful , hardly the resorts doing. The rooms were decent. The pull out sofa was as hard as the floor. When put into the sofa position it was too uncomfortable to sit on. The fountains in most of the buildings were empty. It was all in all a very disapointing place and I would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
DimitrisGM, General Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 20, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Allow me, however, to clarify. You mention the food was not edible. I am sorry you did not find anything to your pallet’s satisfaction in our Oriental, Indian, Steak, Italian, Jamaican, Mediterranean, Mexican a la carte restaurants or any of our daily themed nights in the buffets.

I am also sorry you did not, as I do when I enjoy the exceptional jerk chicken, tell our ready to please staff not to cut your chicken but serve it whole, or, for that matter, in any shape or form you desire. In our culture, which we try to share with all our guests, we do break the chicken in pieces, so our staff was simply showcasing local flavor.

Tips are not required nor recommended in our Resort. I am sure however, the staff must have been grateful for your generosity and as such, please accept our gratitude on their behalf.

Our beds are of such exceptional comfort that occasionally, you wil find the sofa bed in our suite's living room different. I assure you, however, that they provide for a wonderful good night sleep.

Thank you for your attention.
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

Where do I begin? This place only looks nice....it its a terrible place to stay.

1: On our first night our airconditioner was broken and it took maintainence over 3 hours to come and look at it after we called. When they finally arrived they told us there was nothing wrong....even when the thermometer read 2 degrees hotter than outside with the air conditioner running. We asked for a new room and they refused. My husband went to the front desk and requested to be moved and it took almost 3 hours for them to agree and give us a new key. We weren't into a new room until around 2-3am.

2: Our ceiling in the second room leaked into our bathtub everytime the people above us ran their water. Our tub was filled with dirty water. We called maintainence and they never showed up! It happened all through our stay, we called every time and they consistently never came by to look at it....so much for relaxing in the tub together on our honeymoon.

3: Both rooms were full of cockroaches...more than there should be even for a tropical climate. We have been to the carribean before and know to expect bugs, this was just disgusting.

4: Our towels/sheets were only changed out twice during our 8 day stay. Once they changed our bed and made it with dirty sheets. Our toiletries were also covered in dirt. Again when we requested new sheets & towels, they never showed up.

5: To top it off the staff was very rude and not accomodating whatsoever with the leaky ceiling, broken air conditioning or room change amoung other things. We absolutely do not reccomend this hotel to anyone. When we seeked reimbursement (via our travel agent to Air Canada who passed the problem to the grand palladium) we were told we would get a room upgrade if we came back....I hope they don't hold their breath.

Air Canada rates this place as a 4.5 star.....we feel this is really not accurate. We are very disappointed in Air Canada because we have always travelled with them and trusted their star rating system; of course we would want to book with them for our honeymoon. We are definitley taking our bussiness elsewhere when we travel next.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
DimitrisGM, General Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 21, 2011
Thank you for your review. At the outset, allow me to suggest that as human beings we have tendency to embellish and exaggerate in order to make our plight and/or case more convincing.

I will address your concerns in the order they appear.

1. As mentioned before, it is almost impossible for one room to have singled out A/C issues. Our A/C is centralized and it either works or it does not. Many guests accustomed to extreme A/C conditions in their home may find a mean ambient temperature of 70-72F degrees too hot. We are unable to accommodate temperatures below those generally accepted standards.

In the rare occasion there is a mechanical issue with a particular room, we will make our best efforts to relocate our guests. As always, there were other issues in your particular case, such as, specific room type, location, etc. which made a further selection more challenging.

As you will remember, it took as 45 minutes and not the long hours you suggest, to move you. You will also remember the effort the Hotel made to compensate you for this slight, temporary inconvenience.

2. I am not aware of the circumstances you describe in your room. If in fact so, I must kindly ask you to contact me, in order to discuss this further.

3. It is difficult to respond to comments based on exaggeration and frankly misrepresentations. We have a thorough, vigorous and environmentally friendly extermination program and I am cannot accept your comment as fact. I would also urge you to consider that what you may believe to be an intruder could be a benevolent visitor not part of the extermination program, i.e. small cricket, good luck lady bug, etc.

4. Unless you had indicated you did not want to be disturbed, logical and expected if you are on your honeymoon, the towels left on the floor (if you hang them, you indicate you do not want them change - that is part of our environmental policies), are changed daily. That simple. Your toiletries, covered in dirty would only indicate they arrived soiled. Our staff is instructed not to move or interfere with guests personal items.

5. As you know, we are very aware of your case and realize you were seeking a full refund which we declined. The latter should provide ample basis for all readers to form an opinion regarding the basis of your review.

I presume you enjoyed our 7 a la carte restaurants 8 bars and many activities on property since you have not included those in your review. We are very proud of our Canadian guests and value your business. As a Hotel that welcomes thousands of Canadian and American guests, we make every effort to assure your absolute satisfaction and the team works feverishly to accomplish same.

Thank you for your attention.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

We came to have fun and relax and instead we got grumpy employees and lots of silly dress codes. When your at beach resort, you don't want to have to change to visit restaurant and then change again after eating.. When u introduced tips in to the resort, that ruins your service. It's all-inclusive people! We don't want to have to carry money in bathing suit. We stayed at at beaches last yr in ochorios and never had a bit of trouble with staff or a bunch of rules! Silly us thought all Jamaican resorts were the same. That resort wouldn't even except a tip when we tried, they were so upbeat and fun. Will never recommend your palladium resort to anyone!! Also must say except for breakfast, your food lacks... Taste!

Room Tip: Close to main lobby. To spread out!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!