“Overall great trip!!! Love Jamaica!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Lucea 8800, Jamaica   |
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Lucea
AmberDalziel
“Overall great trip!!! Love Jamaica!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

Just came back from Grand Palladium and I must say it is a very nice resort. I am not like others who usually bash hotels as they compare it to better hotels that are a higher class.
If you are a beach person do not go to this hotel or any others in Lucea or Montego bay as these cities are known for rockier beaches. There are 4 small beaches here but is very relaxing and calm. The furthest beach by the activity rentals there is a restaurant and a bar inside as well as a small jerk hut with drinks next to that.
If the beaches and pool aren't relaxing enough for you then you must go to the Spa! A lot of people don't know that you can just go walk in to the spa and use the hot tubs, pools, sauna's, showers and steam rooms so it is never busy and is relaxing after a long day of sitting by the pool or beach.
The main pool is very LARGE with a nice swim up bar, sometimes it's a longer wait when it gets busy but just be patient and enjoy the sun! There is another bar outside of the pool but right next to it. There is also an adult pool inbetween villas that is a lot smaller but less people. I never found the main pool ever having more then 5 kids in it which was really nice but even if there were more it's so big it doesn't even matter!
The restaurants are all nice and maintained, food is good and sometimes even great! Jamaica has good food, nothing like cuba so no worris about not liking something. I have read reviews where certain wrist bands get to make reservations, I'm guessing it's the red ones and I heard there is white ones but never saw them. I had just a normal junior suite and got a purple one and we had to just go to any restaurants with no reservations needed and all but 1 time we had to wait a good 15minutes but it didn't matter as there was a bar and loungers so it didn't matter. A la carte food is very good. Anytime you suggest a meat though make sure you get them to pull it off before you want it to, ie if you want well done say medium rare as they tend to over cook and becomes a bit dry. I recommened trying the filet mignon as it was just perfect!
Maids are great, we forgot to tip one day and still got a very nicely cleaned room. However if you want your bed sheets changed you must write a note as they don't change them just make the bed. If they ran out of face clothes they always put a big one to replace it.
Entertainment is really good! It kept we watching it as they always have amazing dancers! I have been to another Grand Palladium in Punta Cana and it was always a great show, I think Palladiums are good with picking their entertainment.
There is a Disco, casino and even an arcade area, also a sports bar with pools tables, tv's, fuzzball tables, pingpon table. Really great bar, seems like at home! There are menu's and you have to order from a server which I've never had but that's why it's more like at home. There's a salad bar,nacho's with cheese, pizza and ice cream that you can help yourself too though.
Make sure you bring money to tip, just like any other all inclusive as they really appreciate the tips, if you pay attention on your bus ride there or on tours you will see why.
If you go on any tours, just know that they are usually a long day as most are in ocho rios which is about 2 hours away. Just make sure you ask how long it is incase you don't want to waste a day. If you have never been to jamaica before I would suggest going to the Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios, however I did this when I went on my last trip and stayed in Ocho Rios so it was not a long day at all and a lot cheaper. I went on Cool Runnings my last trip which was pretty good as you go on a boat, with open bar, and you go snorkeling while on the way to the falls!
Jamaica is an awesome experience and everyone is so friendly! So if you chose/choose this hotel you will have a great time! Enjoy!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

2,960 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (787)
  • Polish first
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

Well I personally have never written a review for a hotel before but I figured because I read so many reviews on this resort before our trip, I would put in my word for future guests! We traveled to Jamaica for our honeymoon from October 4th-October 11th and stayed on the Lady Hamilton side of the Grand Palladium Resort. We LOVED IT!! We picked this resort because it was close to the airport but not to close and halfway in between Montego Bay and Negril. We wanted to travel to Negril as well. We were told from people that had been there the week prior that the weather was horrible but we lucked out. There was a few repairs going on, I am assuming from the weather the week prior but nothing major that we could see. The weather was beautiful the first 5 days and than the last two it was either cloudy, which wasn't that big of a deal and on the second to last day it POURED all day long. We spent that day at the Spa, which is a nice hidden feature that many don't seem to know about. We were amazed at how empty it was. Some of the jauzzis were a bit too cold for us, and one too hot, but we still had a good time there. Here is a bit about some of the things I find important:

Service- We had great service EVERYWHERE. We also are very generous tippers which I find to be a must for these people that work soo hard and get payed very little. I was amazed at the people that didn't tip at all. Because we tipped well, the bartenders would serve us right a way before anyone else and we found them even fighting over who got to serve us drinks. We loved the swim-up bartenders and one of the bartenders at the Infiniti bar was great, his name was Kirk I believe. The front desk was always willing to help us with exchanging money or when we would ask what restaurants were open that day. We found the service at all of the ala carte restaurants to be great and I was a little worried about that from past reviews I had read. But we had great service, the food didn't take too long, and the drinks came pretty quickly. The portions are indeed small, but we found that if we ordered soup or an appetizer we were good. My husband sometimes would order two entrees which helped to fill him up, and if he didn't like something. The only place I found the service to be weak was the Sports Bar. The bartenders never seemed to anxious to serve us, and we waited a while to even get menus. I think the servers/bartenders and customer service staff were great but we many times saw maintance workers/gardeners etc sitting and doing nothing or even just standing around talking for a very long time. Not sure how they get paid, must be hourly because they were the only ones that didn’t seem to be working very hard. Also they were the ones that a few times did ask us if we wanted a “Smoke Mon” but we just said we were good and they would leave us alone. We didn’t see anyone smoking any marijuana and I wouldn’t have been too bugged by it.

Food/Drinks- In general we really liked all the food that we ordered. We liked all of the ala carte restaurants except the Italian. There was no flavor and the choices were very limited. We also didn't care for the Hindu food, but that is just personal preference. The Jerk Hut was great! We ate lunch there twice. Just follow the smell of the food.... nummy! We also really liked the Seafood, Steak House and Mexican. We stayed clear of the buffets unless we had to eat them, which was during breakfast. We found them to be of little variety and usually the food was cold or slightly warm. It was the only option for breakfast so that is the only time we were there. The food at the Sports Bar was good, not like the ala cartes but fine. It was a little difficult to find drinks I liked because they didn’t have the kind I was used to. The options were pretty much just rum, vodka, champagne, and Red Stripe Beer. We did a lot of mixed Rum/Slush drinks with rum. They were tasty. Also the Red Stripe was good, but a little warm. We bought some Red Stripe Light form the store and it was awful.. I don’t know if it was old or just tasted that way but we couldn’t even drink it.

Rooms/Views- Our room was 3054 which was a honeymoon villa suite. We were greeted with fruit, rum and a note saying Happy Honeymoon.. it was a very nice feature! Some people called them cottages. We loved it!! It was so perfect for us and it actually wasn’t that much more. To explain about these villas because I was a little confused. Each building had 4 of them. Two on the second floor, two on the bottom floor. We were on the top floor. You had your own private entrance and when you walked in you would see a sitting area near the balcony and than a king size bed. There was a wall with walkways on each side. On the other side was his and her sinks and a HUGE Jauzzi tub. There was a toilet with a door on one side and also a sliding glass door to a outdoor shower which was one of my favorite things. It was so much fun to look up at the sky/stars at night. Very cool feature. We had a huge balcony and a great view of the Las Brisas beach/sea and the resort to the right. We watched a few weddings which was kind of fun. I would recommend these rooms to everyone. They were great. Our maid was named Donella and she did a great job. It was fun to have different flowers/and towel figures on the bed each day. We did have a few things stolen from us.. very minor things a few shavers and other personal items which I found to be very odd. I don’t think it was the maid but one day we had two guys knock on our door and asked to look at our radio/I Pod station. They left right a way. I am assuming they were seeing if we were there and than they came back when we were gone. My husbands closet was rummaged through but mine wasn’t. Very strange. We were careful to lock up our papers in our safe and bring all other valuables with us at all times because of this and from hearing other stories of things getting stolen. I am guessing this kind of thing is just luck of who comes into your room. We talked to another couple who had money sitting out and it never got touched. Our air worked just fine. We had it at the lowest it could go and it was perfect. Our fridge didn’t work so well though, but I guess that is pretty common there. We also had a little problem with the rain coming into our room when it did rain. It was ALL over the floor but we just soaked it up with towels. I thought the sand bag by our door would help but it did not. We also one night could not get into our room. Seems that rain got into our door lock or something and they had to fix it. It was a little annoying because we had to walk to the front desk and back which is a long way.

Beaches/Pool- We loved the main pool and we spent some time at the Adult Pool.. it seemed to be a bit more rowdy which was very surprising but we used that bar a lot because it was quick and easy from our room. This was very loud at times I am guessing just because of the crowd this particular week. There were a group of middle aged women that were very drunk every day but it didn’t bug us too much. Other than that it didn’t have a Spring Break feel to it at all but it was also slow season. The main pool was great and we loved the swim up bar, the chairs in the pool and the wall in the middle of the pool. We spent most of our time there! The music was a little annoying because it was so repetitive. Change it up a little! If you are strictly a beach person this resort probably is not for you. They are very very rocky and they weren’t very clean when we were there. This could have been because of the storms the week before. We spent a little time on the beach but most at the pools. The best beach by far was the one by the Jerk Hut and the activities which was called Sunset Cove. Coral beach wasn't much of one at all.. The one right outside of our room was called Las Brisas and it was beautiful to look at, but not really to swim in. I would recommend traveler cups/mugs like a lot of people before me have said. We didn’t bring any but bought some at the Gift Shop for about 10 bucks a piece. They were great to use and a lot of people asked about them! The activity staff did a great job of entertaining at the pool. They worked literally from morning to night at the nightly entertainment. I hope they get paid well! We went to one night show but that was it. So I can’t say much about them.

Overall great resort and would recommend it. I would recommend to the hotel that they explain how the restaurant system works on the off-season and that they maybe put which ones are open either on the TV station or give you an itinerary when you are checking in. Also apparently we could have had the turn down service but were never told of that. But We had a great honeymoon. The staff was amazing for the most part! I thought it was a beautiful resort especially compared to our ride from the airport. It truly is a third world country. Go to this resort.. it is well worth the money and more!

Staten Island, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

Absolutely beautiful resort... a great value for the price. The pool is magnificent and there are plenty of chairs and umbrella huts, you never feel crowded. The food was good considering it is all inclusive and the staff was very friendly. The big downside was the air conditioning. There was no relief anywhere...not even in the restaurants. We vacationed with a group, and their rooms were lacking in the air conditioning department as well. All in all, we had a wonderful experience in Jamaica and would definitely return to the island.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

When reading some of the reviews on this site, I was a little intimidated about going to the Lady Hamilton, but it was fantastic! The place is HUGE so there is always something to do.
We enjoyed the beach by sunset cove to go swimming compared to the one by the pool. The one by the pool is rocky, but who cares! We managed to swim out past the waves a few times and the water was very comfortable. It was not very crowded maybe because of the time of year we went, but there was always lounge chairs at the beach and the pools. The main pool is HUGE! We spent most of our time there and at the swim up bar. Alot of people on here have said to bring your own cups, but we were FINE with the cups they gave. You didn't need to get drunk to have a fun time.
We enjoyed the sports bar for lunch and usually stopped by almost every night to get ice cream and play pool. The steel drum band was AMAZING, but we mostly skipped the other shows, they were mostly just dancing shows. Yes, there are some maintance issues at this hotel.
The main lobby and some of the resturants have flooding when it rains, but you just have to be careful when you are walking around. It didn't ruin my trip at all.
The room was cleaned everyday and the mini bar was filled everyday. Sometimes we only got one clean towel or only one washcloth, but again, it didn't ruin my trip. You just have to realize that there's a lot of people using all those towels and they can't always get you 5-6 towels for your room.
The staff was always fun and outgoing and our waiters were very polite and always asked us how our trip was going.
We LOVED our stay here!

barrie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

we were at the grand palladium from oct 16 to the 23rd,
we were there to attend a wedding we has the most amazing time here I read a lot of reviews and started to worry about what to expect.
at the check in there were staff there with rum punch while you wait in line to get your room we arrived at 8 pm there was only our bus checking in took 20 mir the whle group.

our room was in the 28 buildidng on the 3rd floor not a problem for me i am younger and dont mind stairs ( work off the great food) the room had allready been turned down for us and there was a plate of fruit and a well stocked bar fridge . the room was clean and i had no bugs just one gecck stoped in to say hi .

the resturaunts were all awosme we did not have to wait at the buffet and the staff allwaays said goodmorning to you and all ways smiled.
we ate at the buffet , bubbas steak house , the mexican , the posiden and the jerk hut .

the beaches were not good the were man made and the sand hurt your feet.
the pool is where we spent most of our time at the big one ( main ) and man it is big. and the adult one a few days to relax and take it easy.

the wedding was well looked after they had back up plas for rain and champaing to toast the new couple rose peddles on the walk way . it was not my wedding f.y.i.
they shut down one of the resturaunts for our group 40 of us so we could eat dinner together not many places would .

the entertainment staff was amazing they did a great job in getting people involved during the days and at night and man can they dance every night at the infinity bar thay had a different preformer and the animation staff would go up and dance and dance with guests and after that they went to the disco and danced there again.

as for the place being run down the only thing I say was how the guests broke things , left garbage anywhere they wanted and expected the staff to pick it up , in our room our toilet seat was broken when we first got there it was not the maid that did it or the matainance crew it was a guest and when I called it was fixed and they said sorry fo it being broken i told them I was sorry that some one broke it on them.

i know i kinda ranted there and I am sorry but I read reviews about the staff getting a brink wrong or there was a broken chair or the toilet was broken its not like that maid said i am going top break this toilet do the next guest can whine and complain becuase i love working a 14 hour shift and then get yelled at by someone.
i go away for the sun fun and to just get away not for the food or the service all though they did a great job at everything i tried or asked about.
I will be returning to this resort as soon as I can

York, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

My husband and I just returned from the Grand Palladium and had a wonderful time. It certainly seemed that we were there during an off season, as it never seemed very crowded. The food was average, and my only complaint about dinner was our last night we tried to get a table at an a la carte restaurant around 8:30 and there were 22 tables ahead of us at 1 restaurant and 12 at another, so we didn't end up eating for over an hour. The oriental restaurant was the best, as was Damian, our waiter at that restaurant.

The pools and beaches were beautiful and often not crowded at all. We paid the $15 extra a night for an ocean view room, and it was worth it, we had a beautiful view from our room.

I think my biggest complaint would be that the watersports were much less inclusive than they seem online. We were looking forward to snorkeling, and found out when we got there that the snorkeling was that we could use a mask and snorkel on the beach where people were swimming. So, instead we paid extra for the excursion and they took us to an area that the waves were so big you could hardly snorkel, I was too worried about being thrown against the reef. So, instead we sat on the boat and tried not to vomit because the waves were throwing the boat around. Really my only complaint about the whole trip though!

Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

we went there in 2009 endd of november and had no issues except being billed a little to much for the wine and they did correct it . would go back

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!