“Great girls getaway!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
South Florida, Florida
“Great girls getaway!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

We booked this last minute getaway through Funjet vacations. We were upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite which was amazing!! Our room was beautiful. We have 2 balconies, ocean view windows everywhere. Our A/C worked good, and we had plenty of towels and everything in our room. We had brought our own towels after reading the review though. We were lucky to have a a very good experience. The food was good, not excellent but very good. We loved thr Italian, and Asian specialty dining. GThe pools were huge, and it never felt to crowded. The towel card is pretty silly, I didn't understand that at all. But maybe they have had a problem in the past. Bring your own cup for the drinks, and have a banana frozed drink!! The staff was either over-friendly (mainly the men) or quite unfriendly. The only problem we did have was the buffet dining for breakfast. My friend ans I could not get a glass of water the 5 days we were there to save our life. We would literally leave our table to walk up to them to ask and the women would rudely tell us to "Sit down". We never got water. Finally we swiped glasses from another table and refilled them ourselves. The waitresses would just laugh at us rudely. We finally complained to the manager the last day, and they spoke to all the women in front of us. They did take us seriously. We were very nice about it! It was annoying but not enough to ruin our great vacation!!

Note: We found out the tip we had left the maid daily was not going to the maid. The person who refilled the mini-fridges was taking it. Even when we left it with the maid card with her name. You have to personally give it to the maid, or she said hide it under your pillow which we did not do. We just handed it to her, after we found out she had not gotten it since she had not even been in or cleaned the room yet but the tip was gone.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (847)
  • Polish first
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

Just got back on Saturday. Stayed for 7 days. Had an amazing time. We are a young couple who have very busy lives so it felt good to finally get away where you can finally relax. We were originally going to Mexico but with the whole swine flu we felt that it was safer to go elsewhere. I found an amazing deal on this hotel, and also had a friend who went a month before me. I been to many all inclusive resorts and im not going to say this was the best of the best but it wasn't bad at all. I loved the fact that there were 3 diff beaches to choose from so it was never crowded. We stayed in building 29 and it was the perfect location..we had an adult pool right in front of our room, adult beach to the left and another beach to the right..everything was steps away and there was always something available. Unlike in other resorts you where you need to make sure you wake up early and run outside to put your towel down here there was always something available if it was the beach or pool. The restaurants were all pretty good and the buffet wasn't bad either. The 1st night when we got there we had air blowing from our AC but it was really cold, so i called the front desk and someone came in 5 min to fix the problem. Little details like tiles falling out of the pool didn't really bother me to a point where i wouldn't recommend this place. The property is huge and very nice. If you are looking to get away from it all and just want to relax this is the place to go.

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

We have just returned from the Grand Palladium from June 27 to July 4, 2009. Reading the many reviews on Trip Advisor gave us a fairly balanced idea of what to expect. This I think is key in deciding on the resort. We were apprehensive given some of the comments but we took the risk and it paid off. I'll give my review subheadings:

Attractiveness of the Hotel:
The hotel is absolutely stunning in my mind. The open air concept from the moment you walk in the front door to the many restaurants makes the hotel unique. The exterior is as beautiful as the pictures on the website (so don't worry about fancy camera tricks).

Food:
An incredibly important part of any vacation I think. We loved having the option of seven ala cartes, not just for variety but for atmosphere (because we went as a couple). The food in the restaurants were still good/average at it's worse. In order of best to worst: Steakhouse (Get the Steak...duh), Indian (Get the Ali Doo - Appetizer), Seafood (Get the Seafood Linguini), Italian, Mexican (Faijitas - seems plain but trust me its good), Creole. Maybe it's a bit backwards but we went from worst to best...so as the week went on it obviously was better and better (we're not big on doubling back on restaurants). Average wait time even at the busiest was 30-45 minutes for 2 people. Dinner time is around 1.5 Hrs without dessert. Buffet was very good, I'd call it above average quality for this style of food. Take advantage of the fresh juices (Papaya and Pineapple) at breakfast.

Room:
Firstly Towels were never an issue. There were always enough. Secondly the room was always cleaned quickly and professionally. Now we get to everyone's favorite topic of air conditioning. The air con can't be cranked to North American standards (say like turning your room into the arctic). However it's still comfortable sleeping at night and in the morning we still woke up cold. In my books that's sufficient and not a point of worry. Now we heard some people complaining rightly that it didn't work (and they were moved to another room) and others who complained...due to their body size. Some of the guests were very large and I think the air conditioning wasn't sufficient for them so just take note. (On the day I left my Transat Rep was touring rooms and reviewing some serious actions about the air conditioning complaints)

Overall Condition of the Hotel:
I can see why the pool tiles are such a sticking point. They have the largest pool I've ever seen and it's beautiful but there are indeed alot of tiles missing. You seem some small lines in the paint in the upper ceiling areas of the entrance way but you have to look pretty hard to care. Another guest said they were annoyed by some of the lightbulbs in the chandliers not being replaced...but it's not like it's dark or anything...who cares honestly?

Excursions:
The hotel provides excellent excellent excursions. You want to use Caribic Vacations (One office downstairs the Grand Palladium Lobby across from the giftstore and another in the Lady Palladium Lobby) I've done a tone of research and trust me the prices are fair. We did the Mountain Valley Bamboo Rafting which is excellent value for money for anyone especially couples. I thought it woudl be boring on the raft but far from it. Included is a planation tour of how they harvest bananas and a Pina Colada lessson. Absolutely excellent. Now we diverged from the hotel at one excursion going to Negril's beautiful Beaches (a must) with Ricks Cafe.
Our Transat rep set us up with a private tour/taxi driver (Morris) who was charging only 5 dollars more USD. I could not write a review and not give out his information. He was absolutely outstanding as a driver and a person. I suggest you all contact him. At no time did we feel pressured to hurry up. He stopped whenever we wanted wherever we wanted. Ex. We saw a unique looking Palm Tree on the side of the road...so what does he do? He pulls over on a busy road so we can take pictures. That is the definition of service.

Contact Morris for prices and other excursions at [--] - Website: www.explorerjamaica.com

Safety:
This is a non-issue there are security guards patrolling at all times of the day. I was not solicted within the resort once. I saw some guys on the jet ski but honestly they are harmless. Jamaica is a safe place and it has a horribly unfair reputation.

Tips:
1) Bring Watershoes - They are absolutely necessary in the pool and in almost any waterbased excursions in Jamaica
2) Like any hotel I want to reiterate that you should use your in room safe...if you are lazy enough to leave your things out your opening yourself up to temptation.
3) For the love of god please take a deep breath and remind yourself you are on vacation. Things get hectic when they are bringing you drinks or taking your luggage to your room. It's not North American time so chill out. Remember some of these people are working double jobs so cut them some slack.
4) When vendors are soliciting you for drugs,jetskis, etc just be firm and say "No thank you I'm not interested". Be firm but polite and just walk away. You know what? They respect that and that's the end of it.
5) The beaches are nice but don't get me wrong they don't match against the real non-man made beaches in Negril or Port Antonio (Thus why these are must stay destinations). Trust me it gets the job done.

sevenoaks
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

Air-con didnt work.hundreds of tiles coming off in all pools.Bed sheets didnt get changed duiring the whole 14 nights.3 of the restaurants shut down as rain poured through ceilings.Main entrance being dug up as I write this ,as all the driveway is subsiding.Only 1 of six showers working in spa pool area.JCB currently on site all day to put in new drainage systems.Loved Jamaica but would stay anywhere other than here. The deterioration in 2 weeks was astonishing.Needs to be closed and all faults rectified.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

I was there with my boyfriend and some friends from June 28- July 3. After reading most of the reviews prior to depature I can admit I was nervous about the resort. Upon arrival I was pleased with the appearance of the resort. It was clean and had a classy look to it. This was by far the largest resort on the island (after seeing the others while on a tour). We were immediately greeted with Rum punch and only waited a little while until our room was ready (Check in time is at 3pm). That gave us time to walk around a little and stretch our legs after a long flight. We rented a Honeymoon Villa that was to die for. The room was just amazing. The view of the beach topped it off. It was well worth the money! Waking up every morning to a view of the beautiful ocean was outstanding. There is a security box in your room that is programed by you with your own personal code where you can keep your valuables. I was even able to fit my laptop in there. There is also free Wi-Fi in the lobby of the hotel, but you will get a better reception upstairs. As far as food went, the buffet was our personal favortie. Every night they had a theme night which seemed like a sample of what the restaurants had to offer. The food was great. The bars were located all over the resort, so there was no issue when you needed a drink. Miss Lou's bar was the only one that served premium liquor, but honestly no one really cared about that. The staff throughout the enitre resort were friendly. We were not given the could shoulder or any attitude by anyone. If you were faced with a problem and approached one of the staff with a positive attitude, you got a quick and positive response.
I will suggest you take a tour to Ocho Rios for the Dunn's River Falls (2hrs from resort). That was well worth the $125 we spent. The resort offers plenty of excursions for you to take advantage of. A shopping trip to Negril will run you about $30 and that includes Rick's Cafe (45min from resort).

The only downfall of the resort would be the air conditioning! It was hot and humid outside and the rooms did not cool off that well. We moved our bed every night under the ceiling fan so that we could sleep in comfort. There was not much time spent in the room because who goes on vacation to sit in their room the entire time?? The resort had plenty entertainment to suit almost anyone. Their service was Not slow at all. If you wanted something as soon as you asked for it, then you had to get up and get it yourself. But I did not think it differed much than the service here in the states. There was construction on the resort while we were there, but coming from Houston where freeways are being rebuilt, who cares!!! This is a foreign country, Not America!! Some people need to understand that. People who complained about the pool tiles falling off, go to the beach, you can swim in a pool at home for free!!
Take a mug with you for your drinks. They give you plastic cups, but if you do not want to keep making trips back to the bar, take a mug. Bug spray and sunblock would also be a good idea as well.
All in all, if you go on a trip to find the smallest things wrong with the place, Stay home and gripe to someone who cares. You are on vactation-- Enjoy the fact that you are in Jamaica and stop trying to ruin everyone elses time!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

Stayed for one week--June 27-July 4. BEWARE--Resort has NO air-conditioning. Hotel Accomodations Manager Ivan and Courtney our on-site Apple Representative said there has been no a/c for weeks. Hotel claims that a/c parts are on a ship from Spain and will be at the resort in a few weeks! No a/c in rooms, no a/c in indoor restaurants Mexican and Steak (the other two are closed because of water damage). We had to change rooms twice because of mold and mildew growing on the walls! Maintance tried to fix, but asked wife for a bobby pin to trip the thermostate. Wife passed out inside restaurant from heat exhaustion. Heard for other guests of bed bugs, mice, and even saw a guest cut her foot open on the thousands of tiles broken or missing in the pools. Management of hotel admits that the place is falling apart due to poor construction. Says they need to close pool. Please if you are older or have children, don't go...you cannot escape the heat as it builds and you can become ill! Call the resort now and cancel....call Apple Vacations or your travel agent. This place is horrible and the communication is not occurring. Not a 5+ apple! Get a refund, dispute your trip....get your money back! Worst vacation...a nightmare! Look at the photos--they don't lie..air conditioning not spinning, broken tile, bare electical wires in the fountains.

millersville, MD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

We booked this trip for our 20th wedding anniversay. This hotel was suppose to be new, it was NOT! Our travel agent said it would be great for couples traveling without children, there were children everywhere on the property. The A/c did not work anywhere on the property. The pool tiles were loose, or non existent, so you could not swim without cutting your feet. It took us 9 hours to get our room moved to one that had A/c and that only worked slightly (our room was 80*). The staff could not be bothered with our request for simple things like Ice, Towels, a shower that actually worked! The restaurants/buffets were all outdoors and the flies were so bad you had to keep waving your arms to keep them off your food. Our room had bed bugs, which when we complained they did send a fumagator, which turned out to be one guy with a can of raid. He sprayed the hallways of our building but didn't enter our room. This was the worst vacation ever. Be warned, STAY AWAY!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!