“Go Somewhere Else.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Lucea
Queenie426
“Go Somewhere Else.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

My husband and I honeymooned at the Palladium in Riviera Maya last year and it was wonderful in every respect. When we saw that a new Palladium resort in Jamaica was opening, we immediately planned to vacation there this year. Big mistake.

The concept is spectacular. It is the only resort in the area, and it is surrounded by mountains and ocean. The rooms are set up as villas with an average of 36 in each and they each look like a great house on a plantation and it is a beautiful layout. Unfortunately, the beauty is ruined by the corner-cutting, shoddy workmanship and extremely poor maintenance that is obvious everywhere in the resort, ie falling ceilings in the buffet restaurants, hanging electrical fixtures, peeling paint, and the disgraceful condition of the restrooms in the common areas.

1. The Pool. The main pool is centrally located and immense. It could be beautiful with its wonderful view of the ocean and jacuzzis stationed throughout . However, it is an accident waiting to happen. Strips of tiles coming loose was a normal occurrence, none of the jacuzzis were working, and the pool rails (where there were any) were loose and in some instances leaning into the water. Some of the drain covers were cracked and protruding. The cement surrounding the pool was cracked, crumbling and in many areas looked like it was just slapped on and unfinished. You need water shoes to walk around the pool.

2. The Service. The staff at this hotel is the most unaccommodating I have ever seen. They are rude and in some instances down-right arrogant. We can't understand why "No Problem, Mon" is their motto, because EVERYTHING was a problem.

When we checked in, we were not able to get into our room until 6:00, and no explanation was offered. One young woman in particular who worked at Sunset Cove where the water equipment rental is located had the audacity to lecture my husband about how inconsiderate he was for not returning snorkeling equipment (that it took us 3 days to finally obtain) within 45 minutes to an hour, and actually threatened to withhold our deposit. It is wise to make yourself a cup of coffee in your room before breakfast, because trust me, when you get to the buffet, you will wait. One day, we had to ask 3 different people 5 times before we were served, and don't expect service with a smile,

The bartenders drink on the job, and one became so inebriated one night, he actually fell on a guest. We witnessed supervisors arguing with subordinates about why they should do what they were asked to do. Men "working" on plumbing outside of one of the villas by the adult pool just stood around all day watching people and offering to sell "ganja." The men driving the jitney buses will run you over if you don't get out of their way. Upon our departure, we tried to return towels to a convenient towel station, and were told we had to go to the station that we originally received the towels (which was on the other side of the resort). Our inconvenience was not their problem, mon.

3. The Room. Our room was beautiful, with a breathtaking view of the ocean. But, the air conditioning was almost nonexistent. The safe wouldn't close. When the toilet was flushed, the drain cover popped off the shower stall drain due to improper venting of the plumbing system. The ceiling fan was very noisy, but at least it didn't crash down onto the bed while we were sleeping. Some people complained of roaches in their rooms, but we did not have an insect problem. The cleaning staff did a decent job of cleaning the room.

4. The Spa. You will need an appointment for any paid service at the spa, and you should make your appointment as soon as you arrive at the resort because you can expect to wait days for an appointment time. You may want to do this while you wait for your room. I had to wait 2 days for a basic manicure, and at no time was an Emory board used. The pools at the spa were just as unkempt as the rest of the pools in the resort, but it would still be a quiet place to relax if people didn't feel it appropriate to bring all of their children with them to the spa.

On the up-side, the food was very good, and reservations were not required at the ala cart restaurants. The scenery was beautiful and it is a very laid-back atmosphere, which is wonderful in theory, but the staff assumes the same laid-back attitude, and behave as though they are on vacation. Some of the staff were very nice, but they were the rare exception. A generous tip is required prior to receiving average service. Bring ID if you want to use a credit card in any of the gift shops.

Finally, if your idea of vacation is to drink til you drop every night, you will love this place. But, if you are someone who is looking for a luxurious place to relax and be pampered, you will not find it here.

2,876 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
  • Polish first
York, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

We stayed 4 nights, May 22-26th, we were in bldg 36, our room was very clean and comfortable, nice view of the water. The best beach was Sunset Cove, we did the main pool, plenty of seats and shade, we hung out at the adult pool more, less crowded and easier to get a drink. We ate at the Italian and Bubba's Steak house, food was very good and service was fine. The buffet breakfast was good, so was the lunch, never ate dinner in the buffet. The drinks were good, service was fine, some people more friendly than others, but none that were rude. The check in person was very nice and friendly, we got there at 11am and or room was not ready, no problem, went to the sports bar had some drinks then the buffet lunch and then down to the pool, we went back at 5pm and were taken to our room in the little "cab" they have on the resort. The weather was good, some rain showers, but not all day and we still had plenty of sun. I would go back here, however we want to try Negril next time we do Jamaica, been to Montego bay twice.

Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Grand Palladium from May 25th - May 29th (through Cheap Caribbean). I had read a number of reviews prior to our departure and I was a little bit apprehensive...but I think the reviews really just helped me know what to expect. We flew through Air Jamaican and booked our transfer from the airport with Tropical Tours. The flight and airport in Jamaica went smoothly and we we able to find the Tropical Tours desk easily. We were put on a bus and taken to the hotel with around 10-15 other passengers. The ride took around 45 minutes and it was pretty fast and bumpy...but no big deal. We got a nice few of the ocean and Jamaican through the trip. Once we got to the hotel, the staff took our luggage and we were sent to the front desk to check in (where we received welcome drinks). We got there pretty early (around noon) so our room was not yet ready so they asked us to come back at 3:00. Meanwhile, our luggage was tagged and left in the lobby which made me a little bit nervous. However, they had a nice changing room and bathroom in the lobby so we changed into our swimsuits and went to check out the hotel, eat lunch, etc. We went back around 3:00 and our room was not yet ready which was a little bit disappointing but not a huge deal. So we went back again at 4:00 and it was finally ready. We got our luggage (still sitting in the lobby) and were driven to our room on a golf cart. The staff was very helpful and carried our luggage up to our room which was on the third floor (no elevators) and showed us around.

Our room was on the Lady Hamilton side in Building 38....we had a junior suite so we had a king size bed, jacuzzi, and a balcony with a nice view of the beach. The room was very nice with some Jamaican art, marble floors, and a little sitting area. The room was clean and we did not have any issues with the air conditioning or water pressure/temperature. The mini bar was stocked each day with beer and water (as we requested). We had 2 towels and 2 wash clothes in the room and we had brought our own towels (based on prior reviews) so we had no problems there as well. One issue in the building was the fountain...it looked nice on the ground floor but you could tell from that top that it needed a major cleaning. Also, it made the building smell when it rained but again, not a huge deal for us. The maid came to our room pretty early each day (around 9:00 AM) so I would suggest putting out the do not disturb sign if you don't want her to come that early. The power did go out on us a couple times but it lasted for a minute or two at most. I noticed it happened often when the maids were in our area so I don't know if it had something to do with that. So overall, we really liked the room. We did tip the maid and mini bar person each day which may have helped our experience as well.

Throughout the trip, we stuck to the main pool area (I think its the Infinity Pool) and we were very pleased with it. This pool was HUGE with a fun pool bar and various activities throughout the day. The pool bar was pretty crowded but it never took too long to get a drink there and it was a great place to meet new people. Many of the people there were very young and drunk so it was fun to talk to them. The bartenders there were very fun as well. I would recommend bringing your own larger cups to the pool since they serve the drinks in small plastic cups and you will need to refill a lot. There were plenty of lounge chairs around the pool in both the sun and shade. There was also a DJ and bar in a separate area of the pool where there were always various dance contests and other activities going on....we didn't really partake in any of those activities but they looked like fun. Yes, the pool was missing some tiles but overall it was clean and we had no issues there. The pool was open fairly late and we even watched the sunset in there one night...it was definitely one of my favorite parts of the resort.

We also frequented the Sunset Cove beach during our trip. As other reviewers noted, this beach is a little bit more rocky but it was still a lot of fun. There were plenty of lounge chairs available as well as different water sports such as paddle boats, snorkeling, catamarans, which were free of charge. We did the paddle boats which were a lot of fun and we wanted to do the catamaran but we were told we had to take a lesson for $28 if we wanted to do that one so we skipped it. We also skipped snorkeling because we questioned how sanitary the snorkeling gear would be (and we had to leave a deposit for that too). We were approached by "Smokey Joe" while we were out on the paddle boats who wanted us to purchase a jet ski ride, drugs, and jewelry. We turned him down (obviously) and we thought it was pretty funny but just be prepared. The jerk chicken stand at the beach was delicious! It was probably the best food I had at the resort. We often would bring our plates up to the beach restaurant while we ate so we could also have some drinks with our lunch. The beach was also one of my favorite parts of the vacation.

The food at the resort was decent but not excellent. We ate at the buffet for breakfast every day and for lunch for a couple days (before we discovered the jerk chicken at the beach!). I would say the buffet was just okay for breakfast and lunch. They had many options but I wouldn't say any of the food at the buffets were very good. The other problem with the buffets was the service. The staff was very nice but they seem to have a problem with having enough cups. We ate breakfast there for four days and one day they have a lot of trouble finding us a coffee cup (though we finally got one) and another day they could not find a water glass (we finally got one when we were leaving). The staff also seemed overwhelmed at times and sometimes took a very long time getting your drink or forgot to get you one.

We ate at the specialty restaurants for dinner. We went to the Creole restaurant, Mexican restaurant, Bubba's (steakhouse), and the Italian restaurant. We did not really like the Creole restaurant, the Mexican restaurant was decent, and the Italian restaurant and Bubba's were both good. We liked the atmosphere at the Italian restaurant since it outside. Service seemed to be a bit of a problem with the specialty restaurants as well. You usually have to wait in line (except for the Italian place) to put your name on the list to eat at the restaurant and then wait an additional 10-30 minutes until your name is called. You also have to go to dinner fairly early - we usually went around 6:30 or 7:00 which is much earlier than we would typically go at home. I also saw instances where the restaurant would stop taking names (at both Bubba's and the Asian restaurant) for reservations. All this was particularly funny because once we would get into the restaurants, they were never full. However, the staff in the restaurants was very nice and friendly and we enjoyed going to those dinners. We didn't let these small issues bother us and had a great time.

The drinks at the resort were pretty good. I usually stuck with the rum punch or champagne and my boyfriend had rum and coke or beer. I thought the drinks were pretty good and strong. The wine that we had at the restaurant was not good so I avoided that but I was fine with the champagne or rum punch. We enjoyed sitting on the hotel porch at nighttime and having a few drinks, it was a great time. We also went to the sports bar a couple time which was fun...it was pretty crowded and had a large TV for sporting events. They also had pool tables, paddle ball, and some other games. There was a show every night as well but we never went to them, just passed by on our way to our room or the sports bar. The "disco" was always empty and the casino wasn't so great either but we were happy with the hotel porch and the sports bar.

Overall, we had a GREAT vacation, especially considering the low price we paid for the vacation. We loved the pool and the beach, hanging out on the hotel porch, eating dinner in the specialty restaurants, and just relaxing. The resort is very large (expect to do some walking) with tons of things to do and we had a great time! Yes, there are a few problems with service that they need to get worked out but we didn't let it ruin our vacation. It was a great time and I would definitely recommend it!

Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

We stayed at the resort from May 14-21 (group of six)...It was lovely. After reading all the reviews prior to the trip, we were kind of hesitant to go, but we figured what the hell. Honestly eveyone that complained about this report is frankly just not pleasable. If you went there with the "no problem" attitude, then it was no problem.

Truths:
1. Yes the pools were missing a few tiles, but the resort was so beautiful, I hardly noticed it. The only reason I did, is because they were mentioned on the reviews.
2. Yes the hotel lost power a few times, but it was only for like 10 minutes at a time, but hell all of Jamaica had power issues, the airport flickered on and off a few times while getting ready to go home.
3. Drinks were plentiful and served "right". Upon checkin our room wasn't ready, we were immediately greated with a rum punch...Just what the doctor orderd. After that the receptionist gave us all armbands and sent us to lunch. When we returned 2 of the 3 rooms were ready and the last was ready an hour later. No Problem......
4. If you like firm beds, than this is the place to be...If you like a spongey bed, go somewhere else. It was comfortable if you ask me.
5. Towels ARE very hard to come by, we didn't have any washcloths the WHOLE time we were the, so we just used the hand towel...No big deal...
6. Entertainment at night was nice, I exspecially liked the couples show....Do not bring your children to this show.....
7. Beaches were nice, no they weren't the immaculate white sand pictures that you see in the magazines, but no complaints.. Kayaks, PaddleBoats, and Canoes were free to rent... "sweet"
8. We were never pressured for tips, but when we did, it was greatly appreciated. I mean come on people how do you expect someone to carry your heavy luggage and you don't even give them a dollar...Use common courtesy....
9. People that are complaining about drugs being offered, I mean come on people you are in Jamica.....what is it known for.....alrighty then.....go somewhere else.....
10. Yes the hotel was poorly built and those who want to go now is the time, cause it might not be there in about 2 more years. Whoever the architect was needed to be shot...But his vision for the place was lovely....To bad he had cheap labor... They are working around the clock to fix the flaws, but all I see is one hurricane and it's gone.
11. Bottom line you are on vacation, so live a little and stop being such sticks in the mud....Go there with the no problem attitute and it will be alright.

Items Suggested to Bring:
- Mug if you plan on getting toasted. (they only give small cups and it keeps you from going back and forth.
-Sunscreen
-Beach Bag (especially for Tours)
-a watch (there are NO clocks anywhere in the hotel..I found myself asking around about 50 times a day what time it was).
-Water Shoes
-Ones for tipping... (The hotel does not give out change)
-NO PROBLEM ATTITUDE...

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Erie, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

Four of us traveled together, we had two rooms, right next door to each other. We stayed for seven days.
The rooms were beautiful, with beautiful Caribbean Sea views. The Infinity pool was huge with a swim up bar. It was missing a few tiles, but not enough to ruin my vacation.
The beach right in front of our villa was beautiful, had no problem finding lounge chairs. The sand was a bit course, but again, didn't ruin my vacation.
The electric did go out several times a day, only for a couple of minutes, we spent most of our time outside, though, so it didn't really bother us.
The food was good, the drinks were good. We had to tell the bartenders to ease up on the rum a little, though. The Boogie Woogie Discoteque was the night club we went to every night, it was fun.
Everybody there was very polite, friendly, funny always singing and dancing.
The entertainment crew was AWESOME!!!! They work long days, starting in the morning with every thing from reggae dance lessons to water aerobics until late at night doing the nightly shows and then showing up at the dance club. These guys really made our trip memorable.
*Do take a mug for drinks, they give you small plastic cups...also, take a watch, you can't find a clock anywhere.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Bird in Hand, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2009

Like other travelers, we read through the reviews before it was finally time for us to take our much needed trip to the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton in Jamaica. We were hesitant up until we boarded the plane. Arrangements for the trip were made through Apple Vacations. Here is our review...

We arrived via Air Jamaica and had no problems with our flight. The plane was packed full of people, but hey, I guess others wanted to get away from it all as bad as we did. Immigration was a breeze, we only waited approx 10 minutes. Our bus was waiting for us and after we all boarded (12 people total), we were wisked away to the hotel. The drive to the hotel takes about 30 minutes from the airport, and I could see how traffic may be a problem at times. But not for our group. We arrived at the hotel, and were promptly met by hotel staff, who took our bags and showed us to the admissions desk. We were all assigned rooms and were asked to return to the desk in 45 minutes as we had arrived a little early. So we headed off to a buffet for lunch.

Food was good to excellent, depending on what your tastes are like. There is a large variety of food types to choose from, whether at the buffet or at one of the many restaurants. Keep in mind that these are Jamaican people cooking their version of what we are used to. The creole place was great, as was the Italian retaurant. We also ate at the seafood restaurant (Poseidon). We visited the buffets for breakfast and lunch on multiple occasions...and never walked away hungry. Im not sure what others spent so much time complaining about. The food was good.

Rooms...After lunch we returned to the desk and received our room keys. We were assigned to an ocean view room in buyilding number 38. The room was clean, actually spotless, and smelled nice. No bugs, no musty smell, no sand. We also had a full compliment of towels throughout our stay. Our refrigerator was also fully stocked and refilled each day. We had extra pillows, and when we asked we were provided with extra towels. The AC worked just fine, and felt refreshing after a day at the beach. No problems whatsoever with the quality of the room or housekeeping during our stay.

Drinks...! Let's see, the bartenders will make whatever you ask for. But...you do have to be specific when you ask for drinks. We had fantastic mojitos made by Christine at Miss Lou's bar on the second floor. Great place to hang out and enjoy cocktails. We also enjoyed the Leroy specials. Marcus, the bartender by the adult pool makes fantastic fruit drinks either with alcohol or virgin. We had to wait occassionally for bar service, but it wasnt nearly as long as some people had claimed. We did experience the "serve me immediately" a few times...but those people were definately in the minority.

Beaches...somewhat different than what we have experienced in the past. By different we dont mean bad. The sand is formed from crushed limestone, so it is obviously more coarse than the fine powdery sand that we have been spolied with. But, then again they dont have tropical blue waters at the New Jersey shore! The beaches were quite beautiful, nicely landscaped, and clean. There were plenty of lounge chairs to be had also. Aain, not sure what the other negative reviewers were complaining about. We did not need shoes to go on the beach or in the water. There are several large beach areas on the property as well as a few hidden beaches/coves. Go explore and find your own little private piece of beach paradise, we did.

Activities....snorkeling, right off of the beach. Large coral formations approx 30 yards from the shore at sunset beach...so go check it out and enjoy the fish. It was great! Water clarity changes when it rains...so the water may go from crystal clear to cloudy. Again, not something that would ruin our trip. We also used the paddle boats and catamaran...all free of charge. The staff also provides entertainment in the form of pool aerobics, pool games, nightly shows, etc. All were fun.

Staff...all were very courteous, and a few went out of their way to make pleasant conversation and ask questions about where we were from. Some were nicer than others, but we had no problem with any staff member during our stay.

The ultra negative reviews on this site are most likely made by people who are simply unpleaseable. I have the feeling that no matter how hard the hotel tried to achieve perfection, those guests would still find something to complain about. I would definately recommend this hotel to our family and friends. There are some minor kinks to be worked out, but they are so small they are not worth mentioning. We had a great trip which allowed us much needed time to relax and reconnect.

If I did have one complaint...i guess it would be that I woke up with a headache and slightly disoriented on day three. And it was definately the hotel's fault...they shouldn't make their mojitos so well and I wouldn't have had to drink so much!!!

Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2009

Let me begin by saying we have vacationed at The Grand Palladiums in Mexico and Punta Cana, as well as The Riu Palace in Mexico and the Iberostar and Bahia resorts in both Mexico and Punta Cana. We love the Grand Palladium resorts and even after reading all the negative trip reports on Trip Advisor, decided to vacation at The Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton and form our own opinion--and are I'm happy that we did.

What we liked:
The location was about 1/2 hr. from Montego Bay and 1/2 hr. to Negril. Convenient for sightseeing and a short drive to and from the airport.
Our room was ready upon our arrival at 9:30 a.m.!
Our suite and accompanying view were fantastic. It was one of the few resorts we have visited that you can actually be oceanfront and have the waves lull you to sleep! There was even a picture window in the bathroom with a great ocean view!
The main pool was huge, with many in pool loungers, as well as lots of palapas on either side of it. We never had a problem getting loungers, although the resort was said to be at full occupancy.
We also enjoyed the Adult Pool. Quieter, great reggae music playing all day. Good bartenders and much less waiting time for a drink.
The food was very good at the ala carte restaurants and the buffets.
We ate at the Jerk Shack twice for lunch—it was very good. There is a lunch buffet above the jerk shack, which also serves grilled to order tilapia and quesadillas.
Appleton rum was also very good, as was the drink selection at Miss Lou's.
The beach bbq Friday night was great!
The largest pool we have ever encountered.
Absolutely incredible views from the Infinity Bar.
Excellent reggae and steel drum bands nightly at the Infinity Bar

The beach, though scenic, is not a walking beach. We did spend most of our time at the pools on this trip. Yes, there are tiles missing at the main pool and there are other maintenance issues at this resort, but nothing that impeded our vacation. We spoke with management during our stay and they admit they have experienced some growing pains and those issues are being addressed. Would we return? Ya, Mon!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!