“ok so the beds are a little hard but.............................” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa

You added Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Lucea 8800, Jamaica   |
Special Rate
€150 (EUR)
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
winnipeg
“ok so the beds are a little hard but.............................”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

Travelled march 11-18th , upgraded before we left to 1 bedroom suite. Great view and very spacious! Only problem is the beds are a litle hard but tolerable. On our last night our maid had wrapped our spare blanket around extra sheets to make it more comfortable for us after my husband had commented to another staff member. Was quite a bit better. ( although I am trying to figure out what to bring next visit to make the bed softer. ) If I could make a comment to the Grand Palladium lady Hamilton , it would be...invest in pillowtop mattress cover for all your beds , then this resort would be perfect!!! We thouroughly enjoyed our stay. The best food we have had ( ninth trip to Jamaica) Where else could you get jumbo prawns,mussels duck al"orange and beef wellington all at one sitting ( and at the buftet!) The steakhouse was great ( have rib eye steak) and the Italian (ate both of these twice! )also the Jamaican! never tried the seafood restaurant at the beach for dinner ,only for lunch. Jerk chicken cooked fresh daily at the purple shack at Sunset beach. If you can't find anything to eat here...then you should have stayed home!! also, enjoy your marvelous breakfast outside ,overlooking the pool! Staff were hard working, extremely friendly , and prompt!( I love the Jamaicans for that!) and found their service great!. ( always a smile even when they were very busy) Miss lou (wonderful lady) go to her bar for a game of cards and cocktail before dinner ( or while u are waiting, they will give you a buzzer... this is wayyyyyy better than having to line up to get a reservation!!!!!!!!)) Sports bar is fun for pool. Night shows are ok but could use some work ..Steel band was marveloius and the best night!! ( just been to Ocean hotel at punta cana.. now they have entertainment!! did a great rendition of Copacabana/ Grease/and Chicago) Beaches are nice. I was a little worried about this,, took water shoes , and wore them at La Brisas beach , nice waves here and deeper, my husband didn't bother, but stubbed his toe a couple of times, Sunset beach was great for snorkelling/ sailing and kayaking, and I loved the sound of the birds on a quiet Sunday morning! Took the Negril shopping / ricks cafe trip... worth the money ! Would I go again.. absolutely yes and I hope to take friends next year. Oh yes, the pool is large, only went in once, i go for the ocean, it was being cleaned constantly.Also enjoyed the Reggae band second floor night time after shows...Thanks to Cheryl who looked after our room , and the fellows who stocked our fridge daily, and to the gardeners who worked hard every day, and to all our waiters / bartenders for their great service and friendly smiles! and also to the young lad who carried our bags up that grand staircase without hesitation( because the elevator wasn't working,)when we left. Ok, I am grateful to you all for making our vacation a great one! See you next year !(even if I have to bring my own mattress pad!)

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (844)
  • Polish first
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

Like many of you are doing right now, we read almost every review on this hotel before booking. There have been several customer service studies that agree consumers of any type of product or service are 10 times more likely to tell someone of a bad experience than of that of a good experience. With that in mind and the great price we decided the good reviews outweighed the bad and booked a 4-night stay.

Location: A lot of people seem to complain about its location. Other than staying in the busy and louder (airport noise) Montego Bay area, it is one of the closest to the airport. It is only about 40 minutes away from the airport. Negril is 90 minutes or more and Ocho Rios is 2 hours or more. We have been to all these places and Negril is the only place worth going into town. Plus when we book an all-inclusive, we prefer to stay on the property anyway. The Grand Palladium is in a beautiful location with some of the best views we ever had in Jamaica. Almost every room had an ocean or bay view. You have to pay extra for that at most all other hotels.

Beaches and Pools: The beaches were small and man-made but we found them adequate. If long walks on the beach are a must, try Negril instead. The massive pool was great and we only found it cold just at first after getting in (same as the ocean). The tiles do need redone. Many are coming up. They will need to empty all of the water out to repair correctly. That is a hard thing to do, as it would need to be closed for days. I am sure they will do this during an off peak time of the year. It is totally functional so we did not have any problems. There are also two other smaller pools on the property.

Rooms: The rooms were large and the beds were hard but that is how we like them. There was some sand on the floors in the room but mostly clean. They sweep in the morning, we walk in with sand on our feet in the afternoon, and they sweep it again the next day. It is almost impossible to keep it totally sand free unless they come in two or three times a day to clean up after us. We did not expect that so we had no complaints. No problems with towels, hot water or anything else. The water pressure was not great because of the water conservation showerheads that all hotels are using to be “green”. The only problem we had was the beverage person who restocks the minibar or possibly someone else with a key took our maid's tip. If possible hand the tip money to your maids directly to be sure they get it.

Food and Bars: Food was good and typical of most other all-inclusives we have visited. They have lots of choices in the buffet and several specialty restaurants. We never really experienced long lines for the specialty restaurants. Most nights we only had to wait a few minutes. Bubba's seemed to be the busiest. You give your name, they give you a pager, you go have a drink and come when your pager flashes. No problem. We enjoyed the Creole and Mexican the best. They serve Real Rock Beer everywhere but one bar. A lot of people seemed upset about that. But I don't thing Red Stripe is a premium beer either. To me they tasted about the same. The Infinity Bar had Reggae music nightly. Casino is now open if interested. The sports bar actually had a true sports theme and played live college basketball, ESPN, etc. Many hotels get this wrong but this one got it right. The sports bar also has table games and great hot snacks! The Sunset Cove Beach Grill (near the water sports area) has Jerk Chicken for lunch. It was very good. You can sit down in the Sunset Grill and order it or just go over to the stand, grab a plate and take it with you.

Small cups: You get normal glasses when indoors but around the pool and when you take out, they do have smaller than normal plastic cups. We read to bring our own cups. We brought a few plastic 16 oz cups that we could throw away. There were a lot of people with HUGE "Bubba Keg" cups. That was overkill. I like to party but come on. We found after the first day that the small cups were not even a big deal because in most cases, getting another drink was not a problem and again indoors they served everything in a normal size glasses.

Tipping: Tipping is not required but much appreciated. People who did not tip seemed to receive the same service. And no resort employee ever asked for a tip. Those guys work hard and do not earn that much. We tipped the bellmen, maid, beverage man, waiters and bartenders. Take a bunch of $1's and tip when you think you got good service like you do here at home.

Lastly this is a large resort. If you can I recommend booking over at the Lady Hamilton side. It is the closest to the gym, spa, water sports area, theater and sports bar. We like to walk around so we liked its size. But if you are someone who does not like to walk, they have many shuttles that are happy to assist you getting around. Probably not recommended for the handicapped, or people who have a hard time walking around or going up stairs.

Forget about trying to compare it to 4 and 5 star hotels. We have found that the rating systems vary country to country. Last year we stayed ay a top name 51/2 star in Jamaica. It was much more expensive resort with cold showers, a broken toilet and a door that would not lock. This is a very nice and a great value for the money. We would gladly return.

ny, ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

My husband and I live in NY and wanted a getaway that was fairly close and cheap. We secured a four night trip (including flight) for $1300 total. At that price, there's not much to complain about.

Food: OK. Buffets are typical - best for breakfast since we tend not to eat much in the morning. Italian restaurant should be avoided - the steak was not identifiable and the gnocchi was rubbery and overcooked. The Indian restaurant was great. Steak place - ok. Mexican also ok. The best meal is the grilled fish at the Seafood restaurant - may just be a lunchtime dish, but you must try it. The second best meal to be had is the pulled pork at the beach next to the seafood restaurant.

Alcohol - NOT top shelf, so stick with local rum (mojitos with fresh mint)

Coffee - they make espressos that are not bad

Rooms - the beds are covered in plastic underneath the fitted sheet and are NOT comfortable. rooms are also very humid. The rooms are clean and spacious.

Service - expect little service and you will be ok. People move slowly in Jamaica.

Activities - we played tennis every day - it is very windy, and the courts are astroturf. Still, it was fine. We also kayaked, which was great, and also free. it is VERY windy at this resort, which was disappointing b/c we were not allowed to take the sailfishes out during our stay.

Prince Edward Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

Hotel is beautiful. I can honestly say my husband and I are well travelled, but still have a long list of places we can't wait to see. I will go back to Jamaica , loved the island and the people. I liked the fact that the hotel is isolated and centrally located between Montego Bay and Negril. Island is not that big, can do day trips to Ocho Rios and half days to Negril and MoBay. Architecture at this resort was amazing, however I think someone was on some major time constraints while building it, have never seen this type of shaddy workmanship at any other resort. Obvious they built in a hurry. You can't help but notice it, not something you have to go looking for. But nothing that will ruin or affect your vacation. Food, Drinks and Staff. One Word Amazing. Their were a few reception staff that could have been a nice happier, but no biggie. Bartenders ( Jovian at Swim Up bar was a favorite) and Waiters ( By far Kamahl at the Indian Restaurant-be sure to ask for him, you won't be disappointed ) maids were also great couldn't do enough to make your stay unforgettable. We were offered drugs by a couple of staff members, we were offered it before we got our luggage on the bus, but its everywhere in Jamaica. Like nothing I've ever seen. Just be prepared to be asked. The old we are tested regularly at work, works best, no questions asked. We did see rats, sorry to report, so I'm thinking the rat story isn't so far fetched now. Husband and I seen about 5 or 6 of them one evening while walking along the walk way near the Main Pool and Beach Bar . They came scrambling up the stairs from the beach. I screamed when I seen them run in our direction and one of the security guards came running to ask what frightened me, ( so Kudos to a great security team) she didn't seem too surprised when I told her though . Was thanking my lucky stars at that point I had a 3rd floor room. Wouldn't let this deter you from going. I'm sure every resort has them, with that kind of food in such abundance for them to feed , there probably on every resort. Just not all of us are unfortunate enough to see them. Snorkeling was amazing, like looking into a under water aquarium, so be sure to pack a mask and snorkel the resort has 20 sets and well over 1000 rooms with at least 2 guests per room at full capacity so you do the math, you are required to leave your room key and return them in an hour. The beds are hard, however after a day in the sun , a great meal and some drinks , I slept like a baby every night. Not hard enough to lose a nights sleep over. The only issue I have with this is that the hotel advertises on the television for more comfy pillows ( $3/night and a mattress pad $8/night) have to wonder if its not a way for them to earn a little extra cash. Pools were very cold, I'm not being dramtic, but very few people used the pool for this reason alone. Pools were beautiful, kind of a shame really. Not really a major issue with the pool tiles seen them working on both pools the week we were there. Even closed the Adult pool for 3 days to re-tile it. So its being worked on. Spa was top notch, have been to several in many parts of the world. This one not only looks beautiful but the services measure up.Used private transfers with Reggae Tours would highly recommend. Don't leave without spending at least one sunset at Rick's Cafe. Bus leaves Jamaican Lobby 2pm for some shopping and back to the hotel by 7pm for $15/person. Also offer a day on the beach and then to Rick's for $39/person. Money well spent. In my opinion this is a beatiful hotel , its experiencing some growing pains , a work in progress, but you can tell they are really trying to make this place what it was meant to be, and has the potential to be, by next year it should be there, but when that happens you'll be paying alot more than what you can get it for now. Prices will definately without question increase. Hope this helps.

Langley City, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

It was a beautiful hotel and a very nice room but just don't look to close. Hopefully they learn how to maintain the hotel or it will be a shambles in a few years. In being open for only 10 months it looks older. They still have a lot of bugs to work out and the staff needs to be trained a lot better. We try to be courteous and friendly to all the staff but some seemed like they really didn't want to be there. We had staff ask us to go to the bar and get them alcoholic drinks or you see bartenders giving staff alcoholic drinks which just doesn't seem right. Miss Lou Bar is the only bar with premium alcohol and by 8:30 at night they would run out of grand marnier or Skyy vodka or Jim Beam etc. It was like they got rationed on how many bottles a day they could serve. Also at the Coral bar and Roselle bar they ran out of rum and orange juice and vodka and even water by 11:00 in the morning some days and you had to wait till later in the day for them to bring more.
Also don't buy your rum at the hotel the one we wanted was $50.00 for a 750ml bottle at the hotel and only $21.00 at the airport for the same rum. The duty free store at the airport was open at 6:15 a.m. when we cleared security and it's nice because they box it up for you and you can carry it on the plane and not have to worry about it getting broken in your luggage.
If you go Air Transat you are Imperial Club and don't have to wait in line for dinner. Also you are supposed to get a bottle of rum in your room (200ml) and a plate of fruit and a welcome gift. We tried to get the welcome gift and was told several times housekeeping was bringing it but when I actually phoned housekeeping I was told they were out of welcome gifts.
The Jamaica side of the resort is by the road it is a busy road and the two days we were at the pool on that side (Coral pool closed so they could replace tiles, even though they still managed to miss some) all we could hear was the road traffic. I couldn't imagine having a room on that side. We stayed on the Lady Hamilton side in building 29 and it was nice we were right by the Coral (adult) pool with an ocean view. On the Lady Hamilton side building 37 to 40 were the closest to the road.
And yes the bed was really hard, my husband got a sore back.
Didn't see any mosquitos but there were a lot of bees around the bars and at the pool were people had spilled drinks. Didn't see any cockroaches but we were on the second floor. Lots of crickets around at night.
The food was okay, favourite ala cartes were Creole, Italian and Indian.
We won't go back, There is so many places to see still.

Manitoba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

We stayed at the Grand Palladium from March 8-15th. After reading the mixed reviews before we left, we were prepared for a "less than perfect" experience. We are pleased to say that we found ourselves LOOKING for things to criticize.....and really found nothing.

This was our 4th trip to Jamaica and the most beautiful,well serviced resort we have been to. The food is your typical all-inclusive buffet food, the ala carte restaurant were fabulous. We read one review that stated the steak house was "horrible". We found that the rib-eye we ordered was a different cut than we are used to as Canadians, but it was prepared perfectly and tasted great.

The "Pastafarian" was an excellent italian ala carte.

Sure, there are some obvious structural "anomalies" and Mike Holmes would fill a season pointing them all out....If it was my home or my resort, it would be an issue...but I only spent a week there and really don't care that I found the odd loose tile.

There is a smaller, quiet beach that is great for snorkeling and the larger beach ( with plenty of room) is full of great waves and a nice breeze....we didn't try the pools.

We found some of the best waiters and waitresses at this resort. Jamie is a young fellow that works upstairs in the Negril Buffet where we ate lunch everyday....after only a few trips there he remembered us and our drink preference....quite impressive given the size of the resort and the hundreds of people that roam around it.

As far as some of the negative comments regarding the people and service.....As I mentioned...this was out fourth time in Jamaica. We've found that the Jamaican people are warm and friendly. They are always eager to please the tourist and are very receptive to friendly appreciation. We are always polite, appreciative, friendly and we remember to tip.....a little sugar goes a long way. Having said that, we sincerely LIKE the Jamaican people and perhaps that also shows. We in turn are treated very well.

In closing, if you are going...don't worry...the good far out weighs the bad...( and there are only a few negative things to consider).

Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

Our flight with SkyService was fantastic (only half full- food service was good), and the transition at the aiport was also smooth as silk- we were sitting on the bus with a Red Stripe in our hand within 10 minutes of landing. Bus ride to resort was quick, entertaining (great driver) and check in was reasonable (Ours was done with special guest services as we had booked with Transat). Our room was not ready but this was expected as we arrived early in the day and they kept our luggage while we had fun (pack your bathing suit in your carry-on) and room was ready at 3 as they told us. We walked our luggage to our room as we didn't want to wait for the group to gather to have the resort transport take it over. We were on 3rd floor so wondered at how smart that was once we got to the building but there are staff everywhere always willing to help and a nice young man carried our bags up for us. The room was exceptionally beautiful, all marble, brand new and nicely decorated. The balcony was overlooking sunset cove and the view was indescribable- sunsets and a view of Lucea at night across the bay were really amazing. Huge walk-in shower, large jacuzzi bath tub, and flat screen TV (mounted perfectly to watch from bed...) were part of the package in our room. I had emailed the hotel to see if we could have something overlooking the Sunset Beach and they came through. The posted price for such an upgrade is $15USD per room per night- we thought it would be worth it and it was. Although the view and the lack of crawling visitors on the 3rd floor was great, if you have trouble with stairs the 3rd floor would be difficult for you- the large resort also requires a lot of walking (under covered walkways for the most part which is nice). The walking might help burn off all of the calories you consume at all of the great restaurants they have there (we both gained 10 pounds). We tried the Jamaican, Italian and Asian a l'a cartes and found them all to be quite good. The buffet restaurants had a massive selection, some Jamaican dishes - I doubt someone would be left hungry regardless how picky they are (and I am picky). Bars were everywhere- only issue is the only bar to serve Red Stripe is Miss Lou's all others had other beer but not Red Stripe. Both red and white wine were great and poured without restraint!
Watersports/Beaches- snorkeling was fantastic right off the beach on both Sunset Beach and Coral Cove (the adult beach), equipment hard to get so bring your own if you can. Saling (catamaran) was really good- but if you went out too far and are not a good sailor you could end up in trouble and they would have to rescue you. Watch out for reef on Lucea side of cove as you can get hung up there. Kayaks and pedal boats plentiful and fun. We thought about booking a paid snorkeling trip ($38USD per person) but when we changed our mind they made it very difficult to back out- it is a different company that handles the water stuff for the hotel. We found the snorkeling on the beach just as good as going out on a trip- but did hear people rave about the snorkeling ans scuba trips. Swimming as good- some of the beaches are rocky so take your water shoes and it's fine. It is not the Negril beach but we preferred the variety of beaches and the ability to snorkel from shore.
Overall we had a fantastic time- we did get a deal on Transat Tuesdays for just under $1,000 per person so the value was incredible in comparison to other resorts at this price level. Once they work out the maintenance issues on pools, hot/cold variation of the showers, etc.- this will resort will warrant the 5 star rating they are working toward. This resort encourages tipping (I guess tips are not included in the "all-inclusive" price) which is different than other all-inclusives in Jamaica so you will be expected to tip maid, bar fridge attendant, servers and bartenders- so bring lots of US $1 and $5 bills for this.
One last note- they will charge for missing beach towels (you are issued a card or beach towel when you arrive), so tuck them away when you leave the room so the maid doesn't accidentally take the towels - this happened to us twice. Luckily they accidentally gave us both the cards and the towels, so we kept the cards in the safe until check out. If they do take your towel- the towel changes are not managed very well, so you can easliy pick one up.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!