“Fantastic Resort will definitely be going back.” 5 of 5 stars

Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Lucea 8800, Jamaica   |
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Lucea
uk
“Fantastic Resort will definitely be going back.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2009

My husband ,daughter&son-in-law stayed at The Lady Hamilton from 29th January to 13thFebruary.We had a wonderful holiday the weather wasnt brilliant ,had quite a few cloudy & very windy days but it didnt spoil things at all .There is something for everyone ,peace if you want to just lay on your sunbed & read in a quiet spot on one of the beaches ,loud music & entertainment during the day round the pool if you want some fun.We didnt swim in the sea as it was a bit difficult walking in & out due to the sharp rocks & coral on the seabed ,ok if you have appropriate footwear .The pools were cold so we didnt swim as much as we would have liked ,but it wasnt a problem for us at all,just great to relax.As the resort was so big we got plenty of exercise which was a good thing as the food in general was very good ,only complaint was that it was often cold,didnt stop us eating it tho.The various restaurants were ok for a change but we were quite satisfied with the main buffet restaurant.The service was fantastic as good as we received in a Sandals resort in the Bahamas last year.My daughter & i had a couple of massages & facials which were lovely,the spa area is great with its own pool & beds.The men went to Negril to play golf which they thought was expensive.The gym always seemed well used it was quite impressive.
We didnt bother much with the evening entertainment other than in the main bar over looking the pool where there was a steel band or group on most nights,it was great to either just sit & chill & people watch or have a boogie.
The rooms were very big with fabulous bathrooms which have enormous jacuzzi bathtubs.I had read reviews saying that the beds were really hard & uncomfortable,we didnt find this at all ,infact we were very comfortable.
I would definitely recommend this resort & found it much better than the Palladium in Mexico .
Just one last thing you must go to Ricks Cafe you can go by bus from the resort or as we did by taxi (the driver waited for us as we stopped off to do a spot of shopping enroute then he took us to Ricks bar & waited for us until we'd had enough.It was brilliant watching the sun go down drinking cocktails & dancing to live band.The atmosphere was amazing.
Cant wait to go again.

• Stayed February 2009

2,872 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (755)
  • Polish first
MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

Check in and room:
We arrived ahead of schedule and our room was ready well before check in time of 3pm. This was a pleasant surprise. Check in process was quick and hassle free. Everyone receives an envelope with maps, activities and restaurant hours. Please be warned that the Lady Hamilton and Jamaica rooms are flipped on the map at the time we were there.
We stayed at a one bedroom suite which was extremely large with a separate living area and bedroom. There is a balcony off the living area and bedroom. The bathroom was big with a walk in shower and Jacuzzi tub big enough for 2. Bedroom was a nice size as well; however, our bed was hard which would not have been an issue except we could feel every spring in the mattress. I’m happy to report that there were no rats/mice or even a bug to report in our room.

Service:
Not bad, slow at times but there are some that you can tell are newly trained. Silvery were dropped all the time. We were missing some towels in the room and we called for 2 bath towels and only one came.

Tipping:
Tipping is not expected but appreciated when you do. We typically tip at the end. We tipped $3 for housekeeping everyday, $2-$3 for every drink and $5 to $10 for meals depending on service. We spent around $200 on tips.

Beaches:
Sunset cove has the finer sand and no rocks but the stretch is smaller than coral beach and gets crowded quick. Poseidon is conveniently located above sunset cove which is where the closest bar is located. The water sports desk and jet ski vendors are also located in this area.
Coral beach has the coarse sand. There were men working on the beach every day we were there, either planting trees, raking the sand, or picking the large rocks laying around on the beach. There was always plenty of room to spread out on this beach. I would definitely recommend water shoes on this beach and glad we had ours. There are a lot of large jagged rocks on this beach. Snorkeling was pretty good in this area as well once you go a little further out. The closest bar is also above the beach but long staircase to climb.

Pools:
Main pool is cold, and like others reported, had missing tiles. The deep end (where the swim up bar is) is cooler than the shallow end. This wasn't an issue for us since we would just avoid those areas. The swim up bar was always busy and eventful.

Restaurants:
There are several a la carte restaurants (Asian, Creole, Italian, Mexican, Steak). We tried Asian, Creole, Italian, Mexican and buffet for dinner. Asian was our favorite with Thai, Chinese, Singapore, Vietnamese dish selection. Natalie was our server and by far the best. Natalie was the only one who recommended dishes when asked and we liked everything that was served. Try the spring rolls – yummy! Creole and Mexican food wise was ok but the service was great. Italian – both food and service was so so, we spent 3 hours at the restaurant. Dinner buffet was ok. We ate around 6pm every night and did not have to wait at any restaurants. Breakfast buffet was good, similar to other AI. Lunch buffet was a little less than other AI but still good selection. Poseidon was our favorite for lunch since they have the fried fish (whole) with different seasoning, jerk chicken and paella most days.

Activities:
On site: The entertainment staff was great: water aerobics, dance classes, yoga in the am, crazy games, volleyball, etc. There were shows every night at 9.30pm which was entertaining and then live band at the Infinity Bar afterward as well as the disco.

Offsite: We only went to the zip line which was a blast. There was someone afraid of heights on our tour who enjoyed every zip! We heard that Rick’s café was fun as well. If you’ve been to Acapulco and watched the cliff divers, maybe not so much unless you want to dive as well.

Recommendations:
Bring your own mug, the resort uses small plastic cups at the bar unless you’re sitting in a restaurant.
Bring watershoes, there are spiky sea urchins if you venture out at coral beach.

Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

-Beautiful hotel... if you don't get caught up in the tiny cosmetic things that need to be fixed you'll love it... just sit back, get a drink from one of the many bars, and enjoy yourself

The lady hamilton side is definitely closer to the nicest beach (sunset cove) where all the water sports are... don't pay more than $40 for a jetski...

Food......
Overall the food was decent.. considering it's an all-inclusive, I was impressed with the meals we had.. breakfast consisting of omellette, bacon and hash browns was delicious and got rid of any touch of a hangover you might have... lunch at poseidon (ham sandwich, quesadilla and jerk were good, everything else was alright.) and the buffet overlooking the main pool were always good.. All the dinners are pretty tasty.. some courses might not be great (aka steak at any restaurant) but the apps, soups, most main courses and desserts were all delicious

Rayon at the mexican restaurant was the best server we had... stop in and see him and he'll take care of you

As far as waiting for drinks, you don't have to wait long... no longer than if you were at any other bar where you had to pay for drinks

Definitely see the steel drum band.. the show is insane

Nadia at the front desk is a terrible.. there is no part of her that has any desire to help you in any way... she is there to collect a paycheck and take up space..... pretty much everyone on the front desk was worthless.. if you seriously need something, just find a maintenance man or a bellman

Overall, the men at the resort are much friendlier than the women

Some of the service was questionable and could be a little annoying if you were there for a big event such as a honeymoon, etc....

The lady at the activities center is ridicuously annoying when she counts to three before contests... don't sit next to the activities center if youre looking for a peaceful day by the pool

Go to Negril and Rick's cafe.. beers at Ricks are reasonable (3.50)... jump off the cliff, but watch out climbing any rocks except where the ladder is.. we noticed that women definitely have a harder time landing feet first off the big jump... if you land on your hip or rear you are going to be in pain....sunset and atmosphere there are awesome... if you're thinking about going on the bus tour of Negril for $15 a person, find out from someone at the resort the number for Alley Cat Taxi Service... He'll take you there in his car, do the same tour and take you to some other spots, pretty much wherever you want to go for the same price .. great deal and awesome driver...

It is very nice not having to worry about locals approaching you and not selling you stuff on the beach.. we experienced this in Negril and it was annoying

The entire country of Canada packs up and makes this their vacation spot... all were very nice and had sweet accents, eh!

Bottom line....... Go here for warm, sunny weather around a huge pool and beautiful beaches and views..... plenty of good drinks and good food... super nice people and all in all a great time...

Don't go here if you expect exquisite construction and extreme attention to detail.. its jamaica... there are 1000 guests at this resort so you might have to wait a minute or two for a drink... you WILL see some chipped tiles and a few repairs that need to be made... if this stuff bothers you then you might not have a great time... and you probably wont have a good time anywhere you go

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

We had a great stay. Pleasant open air buildings. Nice rooms. Food was above par for an all inclusive. The facility complaints I read were overstated. Some staff were great, some marginal, but overall we never lacked for service. The hotel sought feedback constantly. Use appropriate tipping and comment sheets to reinforce good service. There were a variety of beaches and pools to fit different interests. The beaches we went to were a bit rocky. I would bring beach shoes.

chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

Ok by my title you know my biggest dislike about this beautiful huge resort would be the fact that from the moment we checked in and requested two face towels till almost the very moment we checked out we didn't receive any until our 5th day there right before we where preparing to go check out after having spoke to the Supervisor (Nadia) at the front desk every single day and asking for a manager only to continue to speak to the Supervisor (Nadia) who was not any help! Nadia who made apoligies and the promise to send some up right away was never albe to make good on her promise. But we choose not to let this little thing ruin our stay and made the most out of it. Although the thought of if we had some scissors we would have just made our own with the hand towels we where provided it was more annoying than anything else 5 star resort with no face towels byoft (bring your own face towels)! The resort is gorgeous we had to have had one the of the best rooms in Villa #26 at least that was how we felt we had a view of everything except the sunsets. We could enjoy the entertainment crew and the live band or view the lobby going ons from our balcony. No liquor dispenser in the room at an AI is not my favorite but we survivied without it.... Our rooms was lovely Jr suite with a jacuzzi tub LOVED it! We pretty much hung out all over the place it's easy to find a spot either in the quiet or in the activities area or most people loved Leroy at the pool bar who I happen to know before he came over to GP so I'm bias! Also Andrien in the sports bar terrific people. The guys down at the Paridise cove beach thanks for the entertainment and conversations! Thanks to the Chef/cooks at the Posiden at lunch time or I guess almost closing time but they served us Jerk chicken and fries to go anyway that's love! Oh and we had our first dinner here as well it was seafood. It was a meal that was so good I promised to kiss the Chef so the host tried to make that he prepared the food... We had the red snapper over vegtebales in a very light sauce it was the best! I wanted to lick my plate I kid you not... Don't waste your time in Bubba's unless your up for rude wait staff and the salmon was gross the potatoes that came with it tasted so bad I swear they came from the white generic box! I had better potatoes on the lunch buffet here at GP. My roommate had the steak which she said was perfect and cooked just right! They never asked us to give a survey here as the other A La Cartes had done either (humm). Antwon was our server he really needs some training on how to be even if your not having a good day we all have those but he seemed over whelmed from the moment we came in around 8:30 and the place is open unitl 10:30, but he just never pulled it together. I sent my soup back because it had bacon in it and he told me I should have asked him what was in it point taken I'm not that picky I just don't eat bacon that I can see anyway but... he never asked if I wanted to try the other soup either I politely told him it wasn't an issue... jokingly I said how I was not going to starve if I didn't have the soup but he still never cracked a smile just seemed more annoyed by our being there... anyway the Bartenders in front namely O'Niel thanks for all my Special drinks he saved the evening! The Indian Al La Carte was Great! The soup I had there I just wanted a whole bowl of with some naan and I would have been content! The Creole was great as well the Hostess was very good in seating us once the table was ready! The bar staff there was also welcoming. The buffet was staff well there was only one time I felt slited by the server Janet and I'm taking it that it was her day to be off beause I saw here again and she had a much more friendly upbeat attitude! Overall this place is nice for a resort and AI but if your really looking to mingle with the locals it's too far away from everthing unless you get a cab.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

First impression as you drive into the Hotel is not great as you go round the back of the kitchens and stores area to get to the Lady Hamilton part of this huge resort.

Reception is efficient as was the porter who took us to our large and beautifully situated suite in block 28. The rooms are large but the finish is not to a very high standard. Several little quirks like no hot water at 5.00 pm and the towels were not very big. The standard of cleaning was so so! Great views and close to all the amenities so we did not complain.

The food would have been excellent if it had been hotter. The main buffets offer a good variety and selection of food which is well cooked and presented. The only worry is that it is all tepid instead of hot. To be fair later in our stay it did get better. The A la Carte restaurants were excellent. No booking meant that you could turn up and usually got in.

The other facilities were good especially the health club.

On the whole this hotel was not bad. We go to this type of hotel each year and this was our first experience of this group. Not sure we would use them again as the whole place lacked something. OH YES !! the fact that each day they played the same CD over and over and over again.

NJ/NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

A friend and I went for a weekend getaway. The whole idea was to find a resort in Jamaica and stay there for the weekend -- no plans on traveling outside the resort, so for the purpose of our trip, it was "ok".

I'll make this as easy as possible to read, while being truly honest:

ROOM ACCOMODATIONS:
The room was big, spacious. We were in Villa 32 on the first floor. The room had a smell that can only be described as "wet laundry left over night" the entire time we were there, but eventually we got used to it. The ammenities in the room were basic -- hair dryer, iron, phone, minibar, etc. There was a jacuzzi (which was pretty good), and a stand in shower, whose drain stayed clogged all weekend!! After using the shower the first day, the drain clogged and water was about an inch high--we called the front desk to send maintainence, and they said they would send them. We went out to eat -- and 3 hours later, it was still clogged. It wasn't until the morning did it clear up. Used the shower again, same situation -- so we walked to the front desk to complain, and he then wrote a report on it and said someone will be there to fix it. Put it this way-- by the time we left, noone ever showed up! Overall -- the room was decent for somewhere to sleep in.

RESTAURANTS / FOOD:
We ate at the buffet for dinner the first night. We had no problem getting seated, our beverages came quick, and they cleared our tables pretty fast everytime we went for a new round. The food was "OK". We figured since it's the buffet, we shouldn't expect much. There was a variety of dishes, and they were decent. The second night we were there, we decided to eat at the Italian Restaurant (They have a no reservation policy...first come first serve) We were so excited when we saw the menu -- but then we found out there were 15 tables ahead of us, so it would take about an hour and a half! So we tried the other restaurants, which were the same story. We ended up at the Mexican place -- shorter wait. The food was good -- DEFINTELY not Mexican food -- but the it was good. LOL. The breakfast buffet was always packed, but we never noticed because the turnover on the tables were so quick -- and the food was very good. For lunch, we ate at the snack bar -- which served Jerk Chicken! Finally...Jamaican food. From my understanding, Jerk Chicken is SPICY....I hate spicy food, but decided to tough it out since Jamaica is the place to eat this. I ended up eating the entire plate because it tasted more like BBQ chicken. Again, it was good! Just not "Jerk Chicken".

PEOPLE/STAFF/SERVICE:
Overall, the people there were very nice, especially the entertainment staff, which you'll meet by the activity center at the main pool. They were friendly, worked nonstop (we would see them at 9am, then at the theatre at 8pm, then at the club 11pm! As tired as they were, they kept entertaining all the guests, and you can tell the guests were loving them! The front desk staff was friendly, however, we waited close to an hour for check in. The same person who checks you in is also the one who explains the resort to you, which takes some time. What they should've done is have them check you in, and have someone seperate sit you down in the lobby and explain the resort to you (which we experienced at another resort in Dominican Republic). The restaurant staff and bartenders were all so friendly -- they were always running around because it was always busy, but they kept their cool and never showed how tired or annoyed they were at the hectic enviornment. You can tell the staff was trained well on hospitality --
EXCEPT--- 2 of the biggest things that upset me during this trip.
We took Tropical Tours as an airport transfer to the hotel. When we got to the hotel, one of the drivers were unloading our luggage (he looked like the Reggae singer Sean Kingston) and he mumbled something to me. I leaned in and asked, "What was that?" He repeated himself and said -- "I like your boobs!" (I apologize if this offends anyone) He said it calmly, as if he is complimenting me and I should be thankful. If someone said this to me in New York (where I'm from), I would've retaliated, but I figured, different culture, unfamiliar grounds, I just walked away to aavoid problems. The next morning at the breakfast buffet (Lady Hamilton side)...there's a man that works there behind the Omelette station. He wears a tall chef's hat and has a glass eye (I think). Either way, he was switching out one of the trays, and stand in front of me, I tried to walk around him but he blocks me and whispers something. I asked, "Excuse me?!". He said, "I like your boobs!" AGAIN!?! At this point, it would take more time and frustration to complain about him then to just enjoy the last day at the resort. I was very taken back by this only because I would never have imagined STAFF making remarks to guests like this -- maybe a random civilian in the streets of Monetego Bay -- but not an employee of a tourist resort! Oh well -- whatever. I wanted to make sure you all knew this.

POOL / BEACH:
The pool --- JUST AS EVERYONE ELSE SAID IN THEIR REVIEWS -- was COLD!!! When I read the reviews on this website, I figured, ok, people from warm states are saying it's "Cold"...but once we get in, we can get used to it like any other pool...NOPE!! It was FREEZING! Unbearable! First, we tried slowly going in --- didn't work. Second time, we jumped in hoping that cold shock would wear off after a few sconds, if not minutes. NOPE!! We jumped in...stayed for about 10 seconds -- and had to run out. At that point, we had to cover ourselves in our towels because we couldn't feel our legs. It was so cold. It got to a point were my friend and I, as well as other guests sitting around us, were watching people go in the water -- and jump right out. It became an ongoing joke throughout the time we were by the pool side. It's a shame though, because it would've been nice to be at the swim up bar in the pool-- but you have to "SWIM UP" to the bar, which obviously was impossible. So, yup. These reviews are true -- the pool is very very very very cold. As for the Beach water, it was alot warmer and bearable. The water was clear and very nice. I would suggest -- get your tan by the pool -- do your swimming at the beach.

DRINKS:
There were not watered down at all! And if at any point you feel that it's not "strong" enough -- just ask for more liquor. They will give it to you with no problem. Also, go to the Infinity Bar and ask for a "Bob Marley Shot" -- I guarantee you, it's the coolest thing you'll see! There's a light skinned, young bartender there -- he makes it the best! Remember --- if it's not strong enough-- just ask for more! =)

OVERALL:
You'll enjoy your stay if you're spending a few days doing excursions, then spending some days at the resort. For the price we paid, it was alright. If you're already booked at the resort, don't worry...it's not that bad. If you haven't booked there yet...I would say to find somewhere else to stay.

Either way -- enjoy your stay in Jamaica!! "Ya Mon! No problem"!

• Liked — The visual look of the resort.
  • Disliked — The freezing cold pool water that prevented us from swimming -- and the rude staff we came across at the breakfast bar.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!