“Quite the overall experience” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
15% off + Webcome Package
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Flushing, Michigan
“Quite the overall experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

I went with friends for this trip and it had the level of fun and relaxation I needed. Full disclosure, I took the bar exam right before I left for Jamaica, and anything is better than studying. This is also my first time traveling to Jamaica, but I have been to other similar destinations such as Cancun and the Caribbean.

First and foremost, if you tip well, you get treated extremely well. Everyone in our group made sure to bring a lot of $1s to tip heavily, especially toward the beginning of the trip. However, it still seemed like pulling teeth at times to get service, more so at the buffet.

There were 8 of us all together, with 3 people in the room I stayed in. The rooms were quite accommodating for our group and were quite nice. Our room had 2 beds and one pull out sofa. The decor was very pretty. Our housekeeper, Norma, was also very nice and gave us plenty of towels. The only issue I had with the room was that the floor was a marble type tile and always seemed a bit dusty. I found myself using the slippers that came in the room quite often. We even had to ask Norma for a couple more pairs. Also, the bathroom is not ventilated so moisture gets trapped very easily in there. If you have wet clothing, it is best to hang it up out on the balcony. There are drying racks out there and the weather is so warm that wet clothes dry very quickly. Take the drinks in your mini bar out for "road beers" or hydration. They refill it every day and really fill it. The only problem we ran into were skunky beers a couple days.

As people have stated, the restaurants can get REALLY crowded. The steakhouse seemed to be the most popular one, and if you did not get there early (as in as close to 6 as possible), it is likely that you would not get to eat there. The hostess stops taking people after a bit. The people in my group thought that the steakhouse was the best. Surprisingly, the Indian and Italian places were quite good, but the portions are quite small. The steakhouse and seafood restaurant had normal portions. I was not a fan of the seafood restaurant and it was a bit far. It is close to where the kayaks and other water activities are located. We did not try the Asian, Jerk, or Mexican restaurants so I'm not sure how they compare. The other frustrating thing about the restaurants is that the rule regarding dress is enforced inconsistently, even in the buffets. Sometimes you will get a hostess that says it is okay and sometimes a hostess will enforce it strictly. To be safe, especially during dinner, it is best the guys wear long pants and sleeves. Also keep in mind that water does not get refilled as often as most people are used to in the states. At times I drank my water slowly because if I drank quickly, I would be waiting a long time for a refill, even after asking. A final thing about eating is the napkins. At some meals we would have napkins and sometimes we wouldn't have any at all. I'm not going to lie, sometimes I used the tablecloth to wipe my hands and mouth.

The bartenders were great and always seemed to know how to have a good time. Yes, as people have stated, the liquor is garbage. There were some "better" liquors in some areas around the restaurants, such as red label and smirnoff. If you want top shelf, you should probably buy it duty-free and bring it. Roy, who was our bartender at the bar by the entertainment, was a lot of fun. He made us a shot called the "devil claw" or "demon claw" that is sure to get you totally hammered, if that is your goal. The caveat is that it tastes like dimetapp and absinthe. It makes the well rum taste like malibu. Kemar, at the pool bar, also makes some good mixed drinks. The popsicle and green monster are quite good. You would think Red Stripe in Jamaica would be better than it is in America, but I found the opposite to be true.

As people have stated, the beach is quite rocky. The water in both the ocean and the pool are very warm always, so if that weirds you out, just a heads up. The pools did seem to have a lot of kids when we went. I'm not sure if that is the norm, but I did not expect that many kids playing in the main pool. The adult pool never had any kids (as the name would suggest), but the water is much deeper. So if you are shorter, around 5' 3" or less, walking around the pool is a bit more challenging. The bartenders by the adult pool did not seem to be as fun and lively as the bartenders at the pool bar.

The last piece of advice is to absolutely DO NOT go swimming in the ocean at night. I know you are not supposed to anyway, but if you are feeling adventurous, direct it elsewhere. Our group went swimming at night and one of us got stung by a jellyfish. We also later found out that there are stingrays and other creatures that come towards the shore at night, so we are probably lucky that it was only a jellyfish.

I think other people have covered other things. I cannot say that the complaints I had do not apply to other hotels. We ate at Cosmos and we had a similar issue with water refills and napkins. I think that for those things, it definitely isn't expected, so if the patron would like it then he or she just has to ask multiple times. Although I am only speculating. Overall, I had a good time, as did the other people in my group.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear LeAnnD:

We have received your feedback regarding your recent vacation here at Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. We are happy to know that you had a wonderful stay and that we were able to exceed your expectations.

However, while we strive for an excellent and flawless vacation for our guests, we sincerely apologize for your negative encounters and we will continue to work on fixing the issues of staff service so that there can be no recurrence.

Your comments were well appreciated as this is one of the many ways we grow and improve our products and services.

Again we thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your return visit so we can make it another grand vacation experience.

Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (944)
  • Polish first
Ajax, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Stayed at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton with my family and had a great time. However the service was so bad that I had to give this hotel a poor rating. Everyday there was a line up to get into the buffet and when you finally got a seat there was no cutlery at the table. When the waiter finally came around to give you cutlery and take your drink order you were waiting another 20 minutes for your drink! The staff was rude and couldn't care less about customer service. It was so disappointing to see especially considering this place isn't very cheap! Loved our room the maids did a good job of keeping it clean. Loved the pool beaches were rocky and not great for swimming. No room service, or taking food out of the restaurant which sucked so you had to come out of the pool and dry off for lunch. Overall we made the best of the week but I would not go back there or recommend this place to stay.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Norfolk, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

ok...let's break it down. I went with a party of 6 other women. to be honest we expected more from the hotel.

the staff depending on who you needed assistance from was great. for breakfast, Tanisha in the Montego Bay buffet restaurant was excellent. She was able to provide my group with any and everything we needed food wise.

Hillary our housemaid was the bomb. She made sure we had what we needed in the rooms.

Antwon (the bellhop guy with the great looking eyebrows) was great in picking us up and driving around the resort.

The food was ok...maybe because I am from NYC which has a large carribbean culture, i was expecting more food wise. a lot of american food. I was not interested in hamburgers, pizza and quesadilla.

the crew that threw the beach parties were live....the female with the short blonde hair, sunshine, the dancers were too cool and madd talented. we had fun chilling with them.

We enjoyed the pool and the beaches...definitely wanted a more adult experience. too many kids in some of the sections we thought were for adults only.

the alcohol was cheap. it either came premixed "rum punch" or was watered down. i was looking for barcardi, goose, patron, tanqueray, absolute, stolichnaya, skyy, beefeaters, anything premium....nothing but appleton. i have grown to hate appleton.

the wifi was expensive but free if you were in the lobby (very weak). the spa was very expensive. the staff made you feel bad if you did not take a massage package.

When I think of all inclusive....i definitely think that EVERYTHING should be included. i am willing to pay for it to be like that.

Room Tip: anything overlooking the water....
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Glossop, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Excellent hotel with great variety of food and restaurants on offer. Only problem is there was no booking system for restaurants which meant a good wait some nights. Would highly recommend Chez Bubbas steakhouse, best T-bone steak. Resort is a bit isolated, no towns within walking distance, and it is a large site. Shop prices in hotel are ridiculously high USD 45 for 1 litre bottle of rum which only cost USD 13.50 at airport!

Room Tip: Try to get a room near the edge of the resort for more privacy
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Kathryn S:

We have received your feedback regarding your recent vacation here at Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. We are delighted to know that you had a wonderful stay and that you enjoyed the food and the overall facility. We too are happy that we were able to exceed your expectations

Wokingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Stayed here for two weeks with my wife and teenage daughter and it was excellent. Staff and accommodation was great. Plenty of choices to eat and drink "anytime" being all inclusive. Our First Choice rep was friendly and was always available to supply information. If I go again, I would pay the extra and upgrade to a suite which has direct access to the beach. I believe this is the largest resort on Jamaica which is ideal if you want to walk around and explore and still be within the resort. If you want to explore more of the island, then its worth booking a taxi (via your holiday rep) and they will take you anywhere and stay with you all day. Our driver was called Spencer and was excellent. The only negative thing I can add, is that there were a few weddings at the resort and they (the wedding guests) think they have booked the whole resort and forget that there are other guests to consider. All in all a great holiday.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Bobby M:

Thank you for taking the time to share your reviews on your recent vacation here at the Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. We are indeed happy to know that you had a great vacation and you were satisfied with the overall service and facilities.

We appreciate your business and we do strive on improving our services so that our guest at all times can enjoy the atmosphere and the service they deserve.

Our guests means so much to us therefore we will continue to do our best. Again, we thank you for your business and we hope that you will allow us another opportunity to make it the perfect vacation.

Antigonish, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

My Wife and I stayed here for 7 days in 2012, we loved ever minuted of it. It was such a relaxing week. I personal hate the beech even though I am from Alantic Canada, so We said pool side for most of our stay. We did go to a beach of resort during one of are days. My wife really wanted to go to Negril beech and Ricks Cafe, I think she picked this trip because it has a a stop for shopping. :). Any ways back to Lady Ham, My fav part was the number of resteruarts as I am bit of a foodie.
They have 7 a la carte restaurants with a wide variety of cuisine and I tried everyone. I never ate a bad meal, but my wife didnt car for the indian food. But If you dont like your meal, you can alway go to the buffet for a back up or the sports bar.

We didnt have kids at the time, but this place is very kid friendly and would go back with mind when they get alittle older. they have stuff to do for even the toddlers.

Only let down for me was the gambling center, not sure if they still have it because it wasnt any good, but you dont really need it because you can just enjoy the sun. I went in to be noisy and check it out. No table games just a few slots.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear BrianHorne:

Again we thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your return visit so we can make it another grand vacation and anniversary experience.

london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as a large family group. The setting is stunning but nothing else about the holiday was. The service was poor. On arrival, our allocated room smelt very strongly of damp and had no lock on the door. We waited two hours to be moved to another damp room. Third time lucky!!! We had ongoing problems with our toilet throughout our stay and often had to ask for basics like toilet tissue and clean towels to be replaced. Food in the restaurants was good although there was often a long wait to be seated. Bar service was good but drinks were limited depending on stock. This was an expensive holiday but did not live up to expectations in many ways.

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!