“Great Food, and service.” 5 of 5 stars

Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Lucea 8800, Jamaica   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Antigonish, Canada
“Great Food, and service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

My Wife and I stayed here for 7 days in 2012, we loved ever minuted of it. It was such a relaxing week. I personal hate the beech even though I am from Alantic Canada, so We said pool side for most of our stay. We did go to a beach of resort during one of are days. My wife really wanted to go to Negril beech and Ricks Cafe, I think she picked this trip because it has a a stop for shopping. :). Any ways back to Lady Ham, My fav part was the number of resteruarts as I am bit of a foodie.
They have 7 a la carte restaurants with a wide variety of cuisine and I tried everyone. I never ate a bad meal, but my wife didnt car for the indian food. But If you dont like your meal, you can alway go to the buffet for a back up or the sports bar.

We didnt have kids at the time, but this place is very kid friendly and would go back with mind when they get alittle older. they have stuff to do for even the toddlers.

Only let down for me was the gambling center, not sure if they still have it because it wasnt any good, but you dont really need it because you can just enjoy the sun. I went in to be noisy and check it out. No table games just a few slots.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear BrianHorne:

We have received your feedback regarding your recent vacation here at Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. We are happy to know that you had a wonderful stay and that we were able to exceed your expectations.

Your comments were well appreciated as this is one of the many ways we grow and improve our products and services.

Again we thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your return visit so we can make it another grand vacation and anniversary experience.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (818)
  • Polish first
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We stayed here as a large family group. The setting is stunning but nothing else about the holiday was. The service was poor. On arrival, our allocated room smelt very strongly of damp and had no lock on the door. We waited two hours to be moved to another damp room. Third time lucky!!! We had ongoing problems with our toilet throughout our stay and often had to ask for basics like toilet tissue and clean towels to be replaced. Food in the restaurants was good although there was often a long wait to be seated. Bar service was good but drinks were limited depending on stock. This was an expensive holiday but did not live up to expectations in many ways.

• Stayed September 2013
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I didn't know what to expect of this resort, but overall, it was a pleasant surprise. I travelled there with my mother the first week of August. I did encounter a few problems though, but the positive always outweighted the negative. Let me explain...

Check in: Took about 10 minutes. The woman at the front desk looked a bit lost, but was courteous. She asked us if a room with a king size bed and sofa bed, at third floor, was okay with us. I didn't mind the 3rd room, I wanted upper floor, but we had asked 2 double beds. We were told there were no other available rooms for the day, but that we could switch the next day. Meh...However, the welcome drink helped soothe our disapointement and staff was very helpful and escorted us to our room with a shuttle (and took our big luggage all the way to the 3rd floor)

Room: Positive surprise: very spacious, very clean, huge baththub, but hard to climb in. Walk in shower, very functionnal. TV had a nice channel selections. And the view, god the view was gorgous! We could see the adult pool and the coral beach, very small but also very blue, and surrounded by mountains. Our alarm clock wasn't working, neither our lock on the balcony door, but we didn't make a fuss, as we were on the higher floor, and all balconies are seperated with thick walls. We also had 2 pairs of brand new slippers waiting for us on the bed, I thought it was a nice attention, and pleasant when walking out of the shower. The air conditionning worked fiercely all week long (I was even cold at night) and no musty smell. Aside from the alarm clock issue and lock on balcony door, our room was perfect. We decided not to switch.

Also, our maid was very kind, talked to us the day after we checked in, and told us farewell the day before we left, we always had fresh towels and facecloths and she took the opportunity to clean the room each morning while we were gone for breakfast, and everthing was done when we were back to get changed.

Sleeping quality was so so. We didn't hear our neighboors in adjacent rooms, but I heard some rude guests in the same villa as us, obviously drunk and screaming like lunatic animals at 3 am (or later) on their way back to their rooms, whenever they entered the villa (and yelling "f words" when people tried to "shhhh" them). No one here to blame, except ridiculous guests...They woke me up on 3 different nights.

Mattress and pillows are a bit hard, but I didn't mind.

Grounds and buildings: The resort is very pretty, lots of exotic plants and trees, but the grass and some palm trees were drying out due to lack of rain. The buildings did show some signs of aging when you look up close, but nothing shows on our pictures. The resort is very big, but I've seen bigger in Mexico. I would still suggest to the elderly, or anyone with physical conditions to choose another resort though, as there is some walking to do. However, there were some nice little roofs over footpaths all around the resort, so you don't have to bear the sun or rain while walking, I think this is a brilliant idea. We also took shuttles a few times to get back to lobby. We would wave at them to get on, or they would kindly offer a ride when they saw us walking under the sun. That was nice!

Restaurants:

Negril Buffet was good (the only buffet we tried). The breakfast was particularly nice: try the banana smoothie, chocolate croissant and omelet station! Those were the best! But you also have nice potatoes, plantain bananas, scrambled eggs, bacons and smoked salmon, capers and cream cheese and big selection of fruits. We ate so much each morning we often skipped lunch. We also got lunch and dinner twice and this buffet, some stuff was bland (cheeze pizza, for instance), but we could always find plenty of stuff that suited our fancy. We were addicted to the ice cream machine!

A la carte restaurant had some good and some bad. We never waited very long to be seated, but we ate early (around 5h30 or 6 pm, but we went at 7 pm once and had no problem). You must know not all of them had air conditionning (and those with it were still a bit warm, but nothing unbearable. The best tip I can give is to be reasonable on alcohol while eating, or you will sweat). The steakhouse (Bubba) is by far the best, my filet mignon and cheesecake were awesome! Our waiter was one of the best too, we waited a bit to get our main dish, so he brought us more drinks without even asking. Seefood restaurant (Poseidon) was my second favourite. No AC, but the restaurant is facing the beach, so we got to stare at the sunset while eating, very beautiful, and nice breeze also. Crab cake is a must. Our waitress at this restaurant was the best during the week (I only tip when I have exceptionnal service, I tipped her). Italian restaurant was decent, just stay away of the tiramisu (sabayon was awesome, though). Asian was terrible, don't even bother, except for the soup, everything was awful. There was an asian themed night on the buffet, one night, and the food was much MUCH better than at the asian a la carte...even the sushis were much better, how odd is that? We didn't try Indian and Mexican.

Drinks: I didn't try all the places, but the Infinity bar has a very nice view over the ocean. Overall, the drinks quality varied greatly, depending of the mood of the barman, in my opinion. Sometimes they were flawless, sometimes they only tasted water. Daiquiries and Pina Coladas were made of pre mixed slush, but were decent enough. My favourites were the banana coladas and hummingbirds, or anything containing banana for that matter, it seems like its their specialty!

Service: It's hit or miss. The staff is not smiling very often, but most of the time easygoing and courteous. The waiters were either very good or bored to death. Many hostesses were a pain to deal with. Most often than not, they would note your room number, pretend they are busy and chit chat with other employees, let the line up become longer, until a waiter (or many) decide to take the situation in hand. I don't know whose fault was that (waiter or hostess, never understood how they work), but they should work on a better system to make things more efficient. Once, I saw a group of girls just sit down at a table at an a la carte restaurant, without talking to the hostess, which came out of nowhere and asked them very rudely to leave the table, and go wait at the bar, until they were called, which is what they did. Believe it or not, she made them wait something like 20 minutes (and there were no line ups, restaurant was half empty), before the girls finally talked directy to a waiter who let them sit at the same table as before. Same hostess also told us our table wasn't ready, even though the manager had just told us they were ready and brought us to our table. We decided to stay there and he appologized later for the wait and inconvenience. I also encountered a very rude cleaning staff near sunset cove. I was actually finising my jerk chicken and...she came at my table with a trash bag to take the plastif cups and dishes other dirty guests had left behind. I gave her my dish to throw it away, but rudely refused and pointed me the trash can with an arrogant smile, saying she only cleans up what the other guest had left behind. I was so insulted, I started to behave like all the other "dirty guest" and never bothered to throw away my dish and cups myself...considering politeness was not an understood language, apparently. I'm complaining a lot right now, but we also met genuinely nice employees, who would take pictures of us, and solve our problems efficiently. I even lost a vest at the italian restaurant once, and found it back without any problem at the reception the day after, i was very happy! Lots of words for a few simple anecdotes, but IMO, the hotel should really make an effort to improve the service consistency (I don't know if it's salary, training or discipline some employees lack, but the managers should make sure no one has to deal with rude or unprofessional staff).

Beaches: Not the most beautiful beaches I've seen, but still very nice. I know a lot of people on Trip Advisor say Sunset Cove is the best, but I don't agree. I've been there only once, and I thought the beach was very crowdy, loud, BBQ smell of the jerk chicken hut, no waves and the water was cloudy, I felt like I was swimming in a lake or something...I suppose it's good for young children. The only thing I liked about Sunset cove was the vegetation around the beach, it felt "wilder" than the average beach. IMO, Las Brisas beach was much better. This beach was a bit rocky at some places, and there were alguas at some spots, but the water was cristal clear, so you could just swim over rocks and plants without any problems! there were many sandy spots in the water you could reach, and relax. I never used water shoes, never felt the need.There were also nice little waves, a nice refreshing breeze and salty smell...everything you expect from a typical beach. It was also never crowded, you could find a nice place under a palapa any time of the day. No loud music so you could relax (which is what i'm searching for when on vacation). Coral Beach looked nice, but very small, more intimate, a nice spot for couples!

Pools: Main pool was very nice to look at, with tons of palapas around it, and there was music and animation around there. It's personally not my thing so I prefered the adult pool, next to my villa, very quiet, with a bar next to it that was never crowded (and the pool is open until midnight, very nice to take a swim before going to bed!)

Enterntainment:

They seemed to be working hard around the main pool. There were shows every night, I went only once but it was actually the best show i've seen in the caribean so far, they were professional dancers doing moves as impressive as figure skating on TV. I wasn't fond of the music they've used (stuff from the '70's) but they were so talented I actually didn't mind!

Conclusion

I was very concerned before leaving because of some terrible reviews I read before I left: stories of roaches, long power outages, poor service, smelly rooms, etc etc. I experienced none of those (well we got 2 very very short power outages, lasted no more than a few seconds each time, more enternaining than a problem, in fact). Overall, I had a very good time, for the price. Beaches, grounds and hotels are beautiful. Most of the staff is nice, food is good, and drinks do the job. My main concern about this resort was the lack of consistency: up and downs in food, service, bars, etc, but the positive easily outweighted the negative. I got fond of this place and I don't regret my choice. I wouldn't recommend it to the elderly or people with physical disabilities, as the elevators are rare and only found in the main building.

Would I go back to this resort? Well...maybe. It's a good place for the price, but I will probably plan a higher budget next time I come to Jamaica and choose another resort in Negril or Ocho Rios.

Stuff you should know:

-Resort looks gorgeous on pictures, but because it's a budget friendly resort, it's not the classiest place I've been to. I saw many women go to A la carte restaurant with flip flops. Laid back atmosphere helped us bear the lack of air conditionning in some restaurant, though, we could wear comfortable clothes. However, if you're more the five star classy type, this resort is not the best place for you.

-Also, there were some partiers when we went there. If you like very quiet resort, this place might not be the best for you. But it is indeed big enough to be able able to find a nice spot around a pool or beach at all times. I would say this place is best for young couples, groups and families.

-If you like spa services, wait until the end of the week, they make discounts for massages.

-I suggest at least one excusion during the week, as there is nothing around the resort and you can't do anything on your own. We took a trip to go shopping in Montego Bay and another trip to YS Falls/Black River/Appleton. Both excursions were very nice.

-Boutiques in the hotel are nice, but prices are high. If you want discount on coffee or rhum, get out of resort!

Room Tip: Block 29 was nice: close to Las Brisas and Coral Beach, close to Adult Pool, not too far from Lobby...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear SolarisI:

We have received your feedback on your recent return vacation here at the Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. We are truly happy that your overall vacation experience went well with a few exceptions to your negative encounters. Rest assured that these challenges will be handled by the relevant persons.

We appreciate your business and we do strive on improving our services so that our guest at all times can enjoy the atmosphere, warmth and friendliness of our staff.

Our repeat guests means so much to us therefore we will continue to do our best. Again, we thank you for your business and we hope that you will allow us another opportunity to make it the perfect vacation.

Best wishes
Montreal, Qc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

If you are looking for an adult only, this is not for you. Even though they announce an adult only section be aware that the adult section is lilites to a pool, a small but very beautiful beach and one restaurant every night.
There is three beaches the adult beach, the general admittance beach where you have to reserve your places vety early and where the water is not clear due to overcrowding, and the beach front beach which is nice but empty since there is no bar, no bathroom and no restaurant. They prefer to keep an empty member only area than to convert that place into a bar and restaurant.
All restaurants buffet or a la carte are excellent. Rooms are big enough and have usually an excellent view of the ocean.
Internet wifi is not free and very expensive. It is only free in the lobby so the stairs are full of people trying to get online.
One major point that need immediate attention is the attitude of the front desk. The employees are really making you feel that you are disturbing them. Smiling might kill them. In short, good hotel, good potential for excellent hotel but in need of a chief msrketing officer that can bring them up to par with the market of tourism in the year 2014.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Dennisylvi:

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on your recent vacation here at the Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. We have taken careful note of your comments regarding the overall facility and the staff service. While it is our aim to offer a complete and superb service we do apologize for any negative experience.

We appreciate your business and we do strive on improving our services so that our guest at all times can enjoy the atmosphere and the service they deserve.

Our guests means so much to us therefore we will continue to do our best. Again, we thank you for your business and we hope that you will allow us another opportunity to make it the perfect vacation.

Best regards,
College Station, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

First of all, the Hotel and beaches are beautiful. We had a wonderful time there but there were a few problems. The hotel staff was either very friendly or rude. I think much of that is because they are paid so little in Jamaica. All of the staff along the walkways would say hello. The service in some of the restaurants was not very good but that was fine. The food in the buffet was a concern though. We found mold on some of the bread and even on some of the berries on top of the desserts. We booked a double room with two queen beds but were given a single with a King bed and sleeper sofa. I do not want to pay that kind of money for a crappy, uncomfortable sleeper sofa! We made a fuss and finally got a double with two double beds, not queens though! We booked a snorkeling excursion to Negril with Total Water Sports for $99pp. The snorkeling was nice except my friend developed a nasty infection on her lips from unclean snorkels. In addition her telephone was stolen while we had lunch at Margaritaville. She left it in her bag on the catamaran. The captain said it was fine to leave belongings there as they would stay on the boat. When we came back on board after the provided lunch, the phone was gone from her bag. The hotel staff was not very helpful in resolving the problem and was adamant that we not call the police. After a full day of arguing and complaining, Total Water Sports finally offered to pay for the phone. They paid $600 for a $650 phone with a $150 case. I guess that was better than nothing. I paid for the excursion with my credit card ($300) and now I am seeing additional fees charged to my card. I plan to dispute the additional fees with my bank. Of course they said this had never happened before, but locals say it happens all the time. DO NOT LEAVE VALUABLES UNATTENDED!!! No matter what they say.

The hotel is supposed to have access to free snorkeling, windsurfing and other non-motorized sports. The problem is, they all require a cash deposit and there is a 45 min time limit! All of the outdoor bars also close very early. The Poseidon Café by the Sunset Cove closes at 4:30 and doesn't reopen until that evening.

I may go back but my expectations will not be as high and I will bring my own snorkeling gear.

Room Tip: Room selection type is NOT guaranteed at booking. They will give you what is available when you arri...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Just came back from the grand palladium and was very disappointed.
The service staff needs to be trained in all facets of customer service. Yes, there might be a handful of decent workers, but majority of them were lazy and rundown. Nobody stood out to make our vacation memorable.
And the food was okay. Nothing was consistent in terms of food preparation. One meal the jerk chicken could be delicious and then the next day same jerk chicken was terrible!
We've been to allot of resorts and this just didn't live up to the expectations we were promised.

• Stayed August 2014
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

This hotel could be summed up with the word dirty. The pool was dirty, our room was dirty, our bathroom was not only dirty but the shower smelled of feces upon arrival. Additionally the AC did not work in the room and and the staff was uncaring to the situation. They sent an individual to check the AC a whole day later and then when the young lady couldn't fix it (the poor thing was obviously a maid who was made to put on coveralls and 'look' at our AC. When she decided there was nothing she could do they wouldn't move us into a room with a working AC they, instead informed my husband that he could come pick up a fan. The lobby was MILES away from our room and they wanted him to go get it. He started getting frustrated at this point and said that they needed to bring it to us.

I attempted to set up a surprise for my hubby in our room (it was a severe extra cost) for his birthday. Champagne, chocolate cake, strawberries, and a personalized happy birthday banner. This was laughable. The personalized sign was printed out on old 1980 printer paper that had the holed removable edges still attached (does any one remember that printer paper from yesteryear?). The sign had fallen down on one side and was not even legible as the printer they used was almost out of ink. The champaign was warm with no corkscrew to open it. The cake was melted in the sweltering heat of our room and the strawberries were fly infested. There were no utensils or plates to even attempt to eat any of it. When we called the front desk about the lack of corkscrew and everything else they told us they would drop it off. Several hours later nothing. We called back and they said go pick it up at a restaurant (again at least a mile away). Mind you I had paid upfront a pretty penny for this treatment. When trying to contact the guest representative ALL day about the situation I couldn't and eventually had to resort to finding the mAnager.

The restaurant selection appears great when booking this hotel only to realize upon arrival that they only have a couple reset rants open a night... 'Due to staffing'. The steak restaurant served us 'filet mignon' that looked like a head sized compilation of chopped ears!!!??? My husband and I had to laugh... Are cows built differently in Jamaica? The sushi restaurant was equally bizarre. The only restaurant we enjoyed was the Indian restaurant which was amazing... But was only open ONE night for our entire weeks visit.

Overall this hotel was not cheap for us by any means however it should have been. Somehow the hotel only being 5-10 years old looked and smelled run down. The individuals working there aren't there to work.... Just to get a pay check. Everything we wanted done we were informed to do it ourselves. Lol. My family and I had a great vacation because we love snorkeling and we stayed out at the beaches and on one night went to the luminous lagoon which was fun and funny at the same time. My point is our vacation was enjoyable DESPITE this hotel and it's staff.

Ironically a young lady working for grand palladium Mexico was there at the information desk when I was trying to find ANYONE to give me a corkscrew to open my hundred dollar bottle of warm champaign..... She smiled at me sympathetically and said 'why didn't you go to Mexico, the staff there is wonderful?' So it hit me... This hotel is what it's staff puts into it and that is NOTHING.

You know at checkout they asked us to go back to our room and retrieve the fan they loaned us!!??? Hahahah. Never again. I don't even want to go back to Jamaica after this vacation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!