“Beautiful facilities but problems” 3 of 5 stars

Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Lucea 8800, Jamaica   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
College Station, Texas
“Beautiful facilities but problems”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

First of all, the Hotel and beaches are beautiful. We had a wonderful time there but there were a few problems. The hotel staff was either very friendly or rude. I think much of that is because they are paid so little in Jamaica. All of the staff along the walkways would say hello. The service in some of the restaurants was not very good but that was fine. The food in the buffet was a concern though. We found mold on some of the bread and even on some of the berries on top of the desserts. We booked a double room with two queen beds but were given a single with a King bed and sleeper sofa. I do not want to pay that kind of money for a crappy, uncomfortable sleeper sofa! We made a fuss and finally got a double with two double beds, not queens though! We booked a snorkeling excursion to Negril with Total Water Sports for $99pp. The snorkeling was nice except my friend developed a nasty infection on her lips from unclean snorkels. In addition her telephone was stolen while we had lunch at Margaritaville. She left it in her bag on the catamaran. The captain said it was fine to leave belongings there as they would stay on the boat. When we came back on board after the provided lunch, the phone was gone from her bag. The hotel staff was not very helpful in resolving the problem and was adamant that we not call the police. After a full day of arguing and complaining, Total Water Sports finally offered to pay for the phone. They paid $600 for a $650 phone with a $150 case. I guess that was better than nothing. I paid for the excursion with my credit card ($300) and now I am seeing additional fees charged to my card. I plan to dispute the additional fees with my bank. Of course they said this had never happened before, but locals say it happens all the time. DO NOT LEAVE VALUABLES UNATTENDED!!! No matter what they say.

The hotel is supposed to have access to free snorkeling, windsurfing and other non-motorized sports. The problem is, they all require a cash deposit and there is a 45 min time limit! All of the outdoor bars also close very early. The Poseidon Café by the Sunset Cove closes at 4:30 and doesn't reopen until that evening.

I may go back but my expectations will not be as high and I will bring my own snorkeling gear.

Room Tip: Room selection type is NOT guaranteed at booking. They will give you what is available when you arri...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (831)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Just came back from the grand palladium and was very disappointed.
The service staff needs to be trained in all facets of customer service. Yes, there might be a handful of decent workers, but majority of them were lazy and rundown. Nobody stood out to make our vacation memorable.
And the food was okay. Nothing was consistent in terms of food preparation. One meal the jerk chicken could be delicious and then the next day same jerk chicken was terrible!
We've been to allot of resorts and this just didn't live up to the expectations we were promised.

• Stayed August 2014
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

This hotel could be summed up with the word dirty. The pool was dirty, our room was dirty, our bathroom was not only dirty but the shower smelled of feces upon arrival. Additionally the AC did not work in the room and and the staff was uncaring to the situation. They sent an individual to check the AC a whole day later and then when the young lady couldn't fix it (the poor thing was obviously a maid who was made to put on coveralls and 'look' at our AC. When she decided there was nothing she could do they wouldn't move us into a room with a working AC they, instead informed my husband that he could come pick up a fan. The lobby was MILES away from our room and they wanted him to go get it. He started getting frustrated at this point and said that they needed to bring it to us.

I attempted to set up a surprise for my hubby in our room (it was a severe extra cost) for his birthday. Champagne, chocolate cake, strawberries, and a personalized happy birthday banner. This was laughable. The personalized sign was printed out on old 1980 printer paper that had the holed removable edges still attached (does any one remember that printer paper from yesteryear?). The sign had fallen down on one side and was not even legible as the printer they used was almost out of ink. The champaign was warm with no corkscrew to open it. The cake was melted in the sweltering heat of our room and the strawberries were fly infested. There were no utensils or plates to even attempt to eat any of it. When we called the front desk about the lack of corkscrew and everything else they told us they would drop it off. Several hours later nothing. We called back and they said go pick it up at a restaurant (again at least a mile away). Mind you I had paid upfront a pretty penny for this treatment. When trying to contact the guest representative ALL day about the situation I couldn't and eventually had to resort to finding the mAnager.

The restaurant selection appears great when booking this hotel only to realize upon arrival that they only have a couple reset rants open a night... 'Due to staffing'. The steak restaurant served us 'filet mignon' that looked like a head sized compilation of chopped ears!!!??? My husband and I had to laugh... Are cows built differently in Jamaica? The sushi restaurant was equally bizarre. The only restaurant we enjoyed was the Indian restaurant which was amazing... But was only open ONE night for our entire weeks visit.

Overall this hotel was not cheap for us by any means however it should have been. Somehow the hotel only being 5-10 years old looked and smelled run down. The individuals working there aren't there to work.... Just to get a pay check. Everything we wanted done we were informed to do it ourselves. Lol. My family and I had a great vacation because we love snorkeling and we stayed out at the beaches and on one night went to the luminous lagoon which was fun and funny at the same time. My point is our vacation was enjoyable DESPITE this hotel and it's staff.

Ironically a young lady working for grand palladium Mexico was there at the information desk when I was trying to find ANYONE to give me a corkscrew to open my hundred dollar bottle of warm champaign..... She smiled at me sympathetically and said 'why didn't you go to Mexico, the staff there is wonderful?' So it hit me... This hotel is what it's staff puts into it and that is NOTHING.

You know at checkout they asked us to go back to our room and retrieve the fan they loaned us!!??? Hahahah. Never again. I don't even want to go back to Jamaica after this vacation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Wigan, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Fantastic hotel with great pool, beach gorgeous and lovely for those who enjoy an early morning run!
Food was among the best we have had while abroad, definitely geared towards the American traveler but that is not a bad thing.
I would advise taking organised trips, not that this is a bad area just that there is not a lot within walking distance, especially in the heat ! We did the zip line trip and got absolutely slaughtered by Mosquitos and if you think I am exaggerating at this point take that exaggeration and double it, it was really bad, but the trip itself was great. We also did the horse trek with the sea 'dip'. I enjoyed it until the sea bit when you could see the fear and discomfort of the horses which left a bit of an unsettling feeling to be honest.

We only stayed for a week in August '10 but plan to return, if only uk flights went out on a Saturday !
Staff very nice but factor tipping in, it is the norm and to be honest we gladly tipped 2 to 5 USD each lunch/dinner as the service was great, we didn't tip at breakfast as that is more ' basic'.

We had massive thunder storms like clockwork every day at around 3pm but we actually like the 'interval' and it was actually quite fun and relaxing.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Elab247:

We have received your feedback on your recent return vacation here at the Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. We are truly happy that your overall vacation experience went well.

We appreciate your business and we do strive on improving our services so that our guest at all times can enjoy the atmosphere, warmth and friendliness of our staff.

Our repeat guests means so much to us therefore we will continue to do our best. Again, we thank you for your business and we hope that you will allow us another opportunity to make it the perfect vacation.

Regards,
Rotherham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the grand palladium lady hamilton from 20/7-3/8. From the moment we arrived everything was wonderful. We were greeted at reception by Ingrid who had had correspondence with my husband prior to arrival; just to say hello! How nice that was. Our room was fantastic 3230. Top floor with views of the sea and both coral beach and sunset cove. It had a living room and a bedroom both had their own individually controlled air conditioning and their own TV sets. The bathroom was huge and the jacuzzi bath a lovely addition.

I had worried prior to arrival due to all of the negative reviews about the cleanliness of the hotel and I had contacted thomsons to enquire about changing. Thomsons assured me they would not send guests to hotels that were not of a good standard. However, based on the information I had read before hand I decided that if a few items bought at home would alleviate problems then I would take them with me. I brought with me a can of bug spray, fabreeze air fresher and 2 damp traps. I placed 1 trap in the wardrobe to hopefully avoid damp clothes and the other in the bedroom. I sprayed insect spray the instant I arrived and placed air freshners around the room (all bought from £1 land so well worth a fiver) The traps did collect water and I had only one occasion when my clothes felt damp, we never saw a bug but I don't think that was down to spraying as after the first spray I forgot about it for the remainder of the holiday. The fabreeze, to be fair was only needed on one occasion and this was an occasion when both air conditioning units were on so i understood the SLIGHT smell of damp when we walked into our room. Speaking of the airconditiong, ours worked great. So good that it was turned off in the bedroom at night!

Sharon, our cleaner was fantastic, our room always cleaned, towels always in abundance and always a smile and hello when we passed her on the stairs.

The fridge was stocked daily and kept everything cool enough.

The hotel is very impressive and all staff we encountered were very friendly. The pool areas were clean and the only exception to this was first thing on the odd morning when cups and food were around sun beds. This was quickly cleaned by staff without having to ask. Therefore I don't believe it to be fair to say areas are not clean but I would emphasis that it is guests who left it the previous night. The only negative thing I would say about the hotel is the general state of repair. At this moment in time a missing paving stone, chipped stairs (although I was exceptionally careful when walking up and down them), exposed electrical wires and the odd broken sun bed did not have any impact on the quality of my holiday, however, it would be a reason not to consider the hotel again for fear of these problems being worse.

We ate at all of the a la cartes and each of them was fantastic, we used all 3 buffets with our favourite for breakfast being blue lagoon, so peaceful a lovely way to start the day. We also used the sports bar which was also good. I liked not having to pre book a la carte the day before I was happy to decided on the day what I fancied. The only suggestion I would make though is that although I didn't mind queuing to make a reservation there were 2 occasions where we queued for 20 minutes to then be told no more reservations were being taken, this was of course at the steak house, but there is a plain black board outside; it could be that the word full could be chalked onto this, eliminating unnecessary queuing and then upset/angry guests. We were annoyed but some guests were getting quite angry.

Overall our holiday was amazing. And it was due to the staff, food and view that this was the case

Tricia.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Trishten96:

We have received your feedback regarding your recent vacation here at Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. We are happy to know that you had a wonderful stay and that we were able to exceed your expectations on your vacation.

Your comments were well appreciated to us as this is one of the many ways we grow and improve our products and services.

Again we thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your return visit so we can make it another grand vacation and anniversary experience.

Best regards,
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Ok, so after reading some of the reviews here i went on this holiday with great concern at what we would find, as it turned out we had absolutely nothing to worry about. My friend and i (both age 32) travelled here on july 23rd 2014 for 2 weeks, we were meeting up with 2 other friend from home who arrived 1 week before us. I will try and cover every aspect of our stay.

ARRIVAL......On arrival we saw that the place looked great, were greeted with a welcome drink by friendly staff, checked in quickly and driven to our room with no delays. The driver carried our cases to the room and was very pleasant, a little tip for the staff never hurts and is always appriciated. We stayed on the lady hamilton side of the resort, if you prefer an environment without kids then i would reccomend staying on this side as the adults only pool is situated here, perfect setting if ya like to have a smoke and a drink away from the family scenes. . When we saw the room we were really happy, it was beautiful, Huge king size bed, massive pull out sofa bed, hydro massage bath was fab, shower was big enough to dance in if you felt like it, the place was spotless, the room was huge, the safe worked well and the view from the balcony was amazing with a spectacular sunset in full view around 6.30 every evening (room 3221 in block 32) if this sounds like something you might enjoy please request this room, its in perfect position on the back side of the building and is meters away from the sea, there is a beach, pool and bar within a 2 minute walk. Dillis our maid did a great job and was very friendly, the fridge was stocked daily with beers water and pop, a little tip left in fridge would get you a few extra beers if you wanted them.

THE FOOD ........I found the food to be excellent, the buffets varied every night with different themes, jamaican, japanese, italian, mexican, american etc, there was loads of choice, excellent salad bars, lots of breads, fresh fruit, deserts, pastas, omletts, burgers, ect were made to order. The staff in the buffets were very attentative, water was filled as soon as it was empty, other drinks were brought to the table for you, some evenings had welcome cocktails at the door. The a la carte restaurants were excellent, i would say the steak house was the best of them, the italian was maybe of a lower standard than the rest but still perfectly enjoyable, the asian and indian were both great as was the craole and the sea food place although they were a little slower. Overall we found the service good, these places get very busy and its very hot so any slight delays were accepted, If you dont want to queue then eat at the restaurants early. 24 hour food was available at the sports bar, these were basic snacks but were great after a late night out. All in all very enjoyable and we all came home a little fatter.

THE POOLS.....Very well maintained, the main pool is enormous, the water temp was great, pools were dotted all around the complex so choice was great and we found the adult pool most to our liking, the bar here was open till 10pm and the staff were amazing, Juanetta in particular made our stay amazing, she was always smiling behind the bar and knew us all by name, we talked a lot and she would have drinks ready for us whenever we wanted them. The pool bar beer was off for a few days so she had someone come down from another bar with a tray of beers for us. The jacizzis didnt work but that was no big deal when your surrounded by paradise.

THE BEACHES.......Coral beach (next to the adult pool so it was mostly an adult beach) was closest to us, the snorkeling here was amazing, lots to see, the sunbeds were comfy, the sea is warm and turquoise, the sun is hot, the breeze is cool, the weed is plentiful and the beer is cold, i really dont know what else you could ask for. Paradise cove was the colsest beach to this, it was bigger and had all the water sports activities here, canoeing, paddle boarding, pedlo and snorkelling were all available here. Also the jerk hut, this served jerk pork, jerk chicken, seafood paella and bread rolls daily, it was delicious, if your feeling upto it its close enough to swim to from coral beach if you want to swim round for dinner. there are lots of small beaches situated around the resort so you could be at a differnt one every day and not get bored. They were kept clean and tidy and looked absolutely beautiful. Towels were available from 9am every morning.

THE GROUNDS.................Just beautiful, yes the place is huge so theres a lot of walking to be done if you feel like it, its a really lovely place to walk around so i loved it, alternatively theres lots of pools and beaches dotted around so you never have to walk far if you dont feel like it. The gardeners do a fantastic job and are friendly and helpful, Its these guys you need if you want a coconut from the trees along with the other fruits and again a little tip goes a long way.

THE STAFF.........I have to say the staff here have been fantastic and really helped to make our holiday special, they were friendly, helpful and always greeted us on sight, we were here for a couple of weeks so got to know quite a few of them. The complaints i have read on here about rude staff can only have been made by rude customers (there seemed to be a lot of these) These guys work long shifts in very hot tempratures and for us were always polite and professional, and as mentioned before a little tip for there service was always gladly paid and greatfully recieved. I would like to say a special thank you to Juanetta, the bar staff from the adult pool, Greg, the night security at the adult pool, Otneil and Leon, the life guards, John from maintinance D.J the day security around our block and Omar and Ryan the night security at the beach for making our stay so amazing, we chatted a lot and loved meeting these guys, they asked us lots of questions about england and we asked them a lot about jamaican culture, they were always happy to see us and i hope to see them all again some day. The staff here are always happy to help with anything at all you may need, (and i mean anything) :) I can not thank them enough.

THE WEATHER ...........................what can i say, its HOT HOT HOT in paradise! The showers are seldom but we were happy to have them. There are lots of reviews complaining about the heat in bars and restaurants on a night but if you dont like the heat just ask yourself this, what on earth are you doing in Jamaica???

THE BARS.........There are lots on resort and we enjoyed them all, the nightclub is open late and is fun, the casino is open till 2am, the sports bar 24 hours, infinity bar is the main one and is great, make sure you sit on the right side of the bar for a lovely outside breeze, they also have a regular reggea band live at night along with other entertainment wich was chilled out and really nice. The adult pool bar was open till ten, i would have like this open till 12 but ya cant have it all ways!
Beer was chilled, cocktails were delicious and plentiful and the bar staff were very efficient.

THE SPA..........The spa was amazing, we all got full body massages and they were excellent if a little pricey, the spa its self was fab, lots of different temp pools, steam room, sauna, treatment showers ect, the staff here were very good at their jobs and i would reccomend the massage to anyone

ENTERTAINMENT.........Night time entertainment on stage was fun and were great dancers but it got repetative as we were there for 2 weeks, they were active with the audiance and had people laughing but i think this is the one area that i would say needs improvement

All in all we had a really fun relaxing stay, we met people from all over the world and loved every minute, The Jamaican people are absolutely amazing,
So for all the bad reviews please keep an open mind, and remember, if someone cant find any food they like across approx 10 different eateries the problem lies with them not the resort, the same goes for those complaining about rude staff, people will only respond to the way they are treated and we had absolutely no problems at all, being friendly, respectful and polite costs nothing. The pools are plenty and the beaches are beautiful, the resort its self is stunning and the one fault i had with the room (the phone didnt work) was fixed within hours of my request.
For thos complaining about all the walking, why book into a resort with almost 1000 rooms? for us it was a plus that the place was so big, we explored and found lots of things to keep us entertained so we never got bored. Also there is a bus service available to trolly you from place to place if you need it, just be willing to wait a little while if the drivers are busy and realise they have a lot to do.

So thank you to everyone at the Grand Palladium Resort and Spa, we had an amazing time in Paradise, you guys are doing a fantastic job and i am pretty sure you will be seeing us again at some point.
Michelle, Nicola, Cheryl and Kev :)

Room Tip: 3221 on block 32 for a beautiful sunset every evening! cant reccomend this enough.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear honestly44:

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent return vacation here at the Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. We are truly happy that your vacation experience met your expectations and most importantly you were satisfied with the overall facility and service offered.

Your kind words will definitely be shared among our team as this is one of the ways we grow and improve our product and services.

We thank you for your business and off course our guests means so much to us therefore we will continue to do our best. Again, we thank you for your business and we hope that you will allow us another opportunity to make it the perfect vacation.

Regards,
harlepool
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

My partner and I have just returned from the grand palladium spa in Jamaica was our most expensive holiday and was really disappointed you can't fault the grounds and the pools but for food they cater more for Americans and Jamaicans not great lot of choice for English but the steak grill was beautiful we had problems with the water in bathroom it was far too hot the workman said the mixer was broken but it never got repaired we also had 2 days without towels as maid forgot to bring them there was days round pool when there was no towels and the female staff in the buffet restaurant are so ignorant we actually walked out 4 times due to waiting for a hot drink at breakfast or a refill of wine on a evening this hotel is not platinum more like 3* very disappointed and a waste of £3,200 it cost us also low key entertainment on a night I expected a lot mire but won't be going back we stated in a 3* in Mexico last year far better hotel and country

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!