“Had a good time!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Had a good time!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My son my mum and myself stayed at this resort from 21st June to the 5th July. We travelled with First Choice. We flew premium class with Thomson. The flight left on time and the service from the cabin crew was excellent.(both ways in fact!). We had a taxi transfer from the airport to the hotel. I knew it was going to be a large resort from reading previous reviews but when I first saw the hotel it looked huge! I wondered how my mum who is nearly 80 years young would cope.
I'd e mailed and asked for a room close to all the amenities and that's what we got. We were in villa 28. We had a lovely sea view as well.

The first couple of days, I have to admit that I felt disorientated.i couldn't work out from the map how to get to restaurants,etc.but after a while We all found our bearings.

The food at this resort is excellent. We have visited many Carribean resorts and we all agreed that the quality of the food and the dinning options offered at the Lady Hamilton were top of our list. We visited all the speciality restaurants ,some three times! We all had our favourites. Mine was the Jamaican. Not only because the food was good but also because the service was exceptional.We ate breakfast/lunch at the Blue Lagoon poolside restaurant which was smaller than the two large buffet restaurants.

The swimming pool bowled us over. It's huge and never seemed to get full. There was always plenty of room to swim. Sun beds were also always available .

We hired a taxi via our rep. Hyacinth. Clover our driver took us to Negril, then to shop and rounded off the day at Rick's cafe. A great way to see part of the island. Negril has a fab beach. This did make me realise that for me this was sadly lacking at the Lady Hamilton. The beaches are man made and did not encourage me to sit out on them. Still as I said, the pool was beautiful!

The Lady Hamilton is a 5 star resort so I was somewhat disappointed to discover that there was no room service. No waiter service at the pool/beach. Not an issue but I've just come to associate these services with good 4 star Carribean hotels so I just assumed a 5 start would have them.

The rooms were clean and spacious. Our maid Sophia was great. She works so hard and like so many other employees at the hotel take great pride in the work and are very loyal to their employers. There has to be a downside though and as a manager myself, there were some employees working at the hotel that I would never have employed! I also couldn't get the hang of the tipping game. Usually I will tip employees at the end of my stay who I felt had gone the extra mile. At this hotel,tips were expected for everything. I even saw a guest tip the lady who makes the omelettes at breakfast. Why? Did you get a better omelette if you tipped her a dollar? I stuck to my plan and tipped the waiters/bar persons who we all agreed really deserved our hard earned cash at the end of our stay.

Would we go back? Probably not as the hotel itself was too big and not personal enough for us. Having said that, I would recommend the hotel to others who would not be too bothered by its vastness/nosiness!

The three of us had a great holiday. Thank you to all the staff who helped make it memorable!

Room Tip: Villas25,26,28 are close to restaurants,reception etc.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Greetings Bryngwyn54!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your stay here at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one and that you enjoyed all that our property has to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end. Until your next stay, best wishes from our Palladium Family.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (946)
  • Polish first
Tybee Island, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My sisters and I stayed here from April 17-24, 2013. It was the first trip the three of us had ever taken without husbands or children - so we were very excited. The check-in experience was awful. We were told check-in was at 3 p.m. We arrived at nearly 4 p.m. and the woman at the desk said "give me 10 minutes" with a scowl on her face. There were no smiles, no one waiting to welcome us or give us a rum drink as others have stated. Not a good way to start.

Our room was just okay. I had a small pouch of earrings stolen from my luggage, which I did not realize until arriving home. I did not use the room safe, so I guess I only have myself to blame. If any of it was worth a significant amount of money, I would have contacted the resort - which I'm sure would have been fruitless. Our maid service was just okay - despite a $5 tip each day. There were never enough towels left and sometimes no Kleenex.

The women working at the gift shop are downright terrifying. Every single one of them must really hate their jobs and hotel guests to be able to treat people the way they do. My sister was looking for a t-shirt for her husband as an employee was straightening them. She asked my sister if she needed help and my sister said "no thank you". As my sister continued looking, the employee continued straightening along side her. The employee stated, "Are you SURE you don't need help? I would like to get home at a decent hour tonight." This is just one of many incidents throughout the week.

And yes, as many others have said - the service leaves a lot to be desired. If you are the only one at the bar waiting for a drink - they will still find a way to make you wait 5 minutes before acknowledging you. Another traveler explained that this is just the "Jamaican Way". Not sure I buy that. We mostly always went up to the bar to get our own drinks, too. The pool bar and the bars on either side of the pool sometimes only had ONE bartender. We were floored by that. Guess that's why everyone walks around with a giant cup?? We bought one the first day.

As far as the food, it was just okay. The breakfast buffet never had any healthy cereal, the milk and orange juice were ALWAYS warm, unless you got it from your waiter/waitress. We did the steak house and Italian place a la cartes, they were average. The two MUSTS are the jerk shack and the snapper at the Poseidon. Delicious!

I have to mention several staff members that went above and beyond and helped make our week fun - Kayon, Kamare, Adrian and Junnetta (the only female!). There are many hard-working, funny and friendly employees here - but they are mainly male.

We did one half-day trip to Negril and Rick's Café. I would highly recommend it - the cliff divers at Rick's are amazing athletes and the view and crystal clear water are an experience of a lifetime. My only advice is this: do NOT get out of the bus at the Rutland Point Craft Market - it is the first stop on the trip. The locals accosted us, badgered us - I know this is the way the survive and we spent way too much money there on things we didn't need/want because well - to say we were pressured is a HUGE understatement.

All-in-all, my sisters and I had a fabulous time. Would I go back to Jamaica? Absolutely. Would I stay at this resort? Absolutely not. It's hard for me to understand the other reviews that state the food/staff/service was outstanding. Were they at the same place?

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear guest,

We appreciate the time which you have taken to share your vacation experience while at our beautiful Resort. It is fantastic that you have enjoyed your overall stay. We appreciate your feedback as it will better assist us in improving the present product that we have.
As for the negatives aspects which you have outlined, it is unfortunate that you never received a welcome drink. We always try to make sure all our clients are greeted properly. We are really looking forward to maintain high quality standards in all moment, so what happened to you in the gift shop it is definitely not our way of working.
Referring to the buffet, we take care all moment to have fitness and diet products in order to adapt our product to our clients’ needs. We will take care of the milk and orange juice issue in order to keep it cooler.
Thank you for your recognition on some of our staff members, they work really hard every day in order to meet our guest’s expectations.
Thank you again for your valued critique. Most of which will help us improve our service standards. I am delighted that you enjoyed the rest of your stay on the island.

Best regards,
Marta, Guest Relations
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the GPLH from June 20th to July 4th.

We returned today from a fabulous two weeks of rum and relaxing at this massive resort.

Pools - the infinity pool at the front of the complex is the biggest pool I have ever seen, the swim up bar is always bustling and you can get involved in the games as much as you want or as little as you want, and there was never an issue with the pool being overcrowded.
The adult pool was always busy, you have to get there early if you want a sun lounger there, but don't worry if you can the adults beach (coral beach) is right next to it and in my opinion you can't go wrong with that place... Amazing. The Relaxation pool is nice too if you want to get away from the antics in the main pool, but be careful of the parasols, hornets make nests there, it's no issue just tell the life guard and they get rid for you. I have also heard comments about there never being any life guards around the pools... Utter rubbish, we never seen the pool without one.

Beaches - La Brisas is a quiet beach but I'm guessing this is because its rocky, but if you want to look for crabs and pretty shells there's loads to see. It's a lovely beach but I would take water trainers to be on the safe side.
Coral beach is stunning, adults only, so it's lovely if you want an escape from the children.
Sunset cove is another stunning beach, and plenty to do to with the water sports etc...

Restaurants - the al a cartes are nice, not massive in portion sizes but just right for me. My fave was the creole - the coconut shrimp is amazing!! If you want the steak house though, get there early, we missed out - but again the creole restaurant does a good steak.

Staff - I found the men to be more friendly than the women, however this isn't a complaint about the women, they were lovely. I think the people that complain about them need to look at their own attitudes maybe before slagging them off on here. We had absolutely no bother with them at all.

As for the reception staff having a 'bad attitude' give them a break! It's chaos at 3pm when everyone wants to check in, I'm not surprised they may get stressed - they're human too you know.

Bars - we found that its a hell of a lot quicker to go to the bar and get served than waiting for the waitresses to get you a drink, we heard people complaining about this on a few occasions. The way I see it is get off your backside and go to the bar yourself if you want serving quick instead of moaning about it.

It's a beautiful property, with happy staff from the maintainance men to the cleaners to the painters to the waitresses - and they all do their very best to make you feel comfortable and like your at home.

Just one more thing - tip if you want don't feel like you have too, and DEFINATELY get a bigger cup like everyone says on these reviews. Trust me :)

Enjoy!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ruth M,

Thank you for sharing your review about your recent vacation here with us. We appreciate your positive comments and we are pleased to read about the wonderful time and experiences that you have had.

As a 5 Star Resort we pride ourselves in the level of service which we provide to our guests. It is important that our guests have a grand vacation and it is great knowing that you enjoyed all that we have to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future for another vacation nothing short of Grand!
Whitehall, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We visited The Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton June 19 to June 25 for our nephew's wedding. We were part of a group of 68 people who traveled from PA to Jamaica for this very special event. The wedding ceremony was beautiful and the scenery at the gazebo overlooking the Caribbean Sea was spectacular! The reception dinner was delicious and the servers were excellent and entertaining. They even joined in dancing and really got things jumping. They were great! The DJ was fantastic; he kept everybody up dancing through the entire evening. It was the place to be that Saturday night, just ask the 30+ other resort guests that crowded the hallway listening and dancing to the music.

Now for the rest of the story:

The grounds, beaches, buildings and rooms at The Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton are really beautiful. But the service leaves much to be desired. This was our 6th trip to Jamaica since 1980; each time we have stayed at a different all-inclusive resort. We have also stayed at all-inclusive resorts in Mexico, The Dominican Republic, etc. This is, by far, our least favorite place. It was obvious that the management has no desire to exceed anybody's expectations. As a matter of fact, in our 6 days at the resort, we never met or even saw any of the resort managers. At every other resort we’ve stayed, managers would greet guest at the restaurants and pools daily and inquire how they were enjoying their stay and if there was anything they could do to make it better. That didn’t happen here.

The bed was extremely firm which is fine with me but the pillows were like flat slabs of concrete. They were the most uncomfortable things I've ever slept on. The resort does offer a solution; you can rent normal pillows for a "reasonable” $3.00 per night. It's hard to have a great time when you can't get a good night's sleep. And it never feels good to be nickeled and dimed for basic things that you just expect at a 5 star resort. Really! I don't have to pay extra for pillows at a Motel 6!

Our travel agent told us that tipping was optional at this resort but we were not prepared to tip everybody that we came in contact with. When we arrived at our room I tipped the bellman for carrying 2 of our 3 bags (he left the other in the golf cart, so I carried it to the room). When I gave him the money he just stood there looking at me for a few seconds before saying "Ya mon", then he left. I guess it wasn’t as much as he expected, but then again I expected him to carry all my bags. If you want service at the swim-up bar you had better come with plenty of cash (US dollars - not Jamaican). The bartenders won't even look at you if you don't have cash in your hand. The same was true at the Infinity bar. The bar at the adult pool was much different, prompt, friendly service without the guilt trip.

Service at the restaurants was very inconsistent. Some of the servers were top notch, some were completely unmotivated and some were absolutely clueless. It was obvious that employee training is not on par with the likes of Sandal's and the other top rank resorts. The meals we had at the Steak House, Jamaican restaurant and Mexican restaurants were very good as well as the service. The meals at the Seafood restaurant were not so good and the service was horrible. The restaurant was less than ½ full yet it took over 40 minutes to get seated. The wait between each course was exceptionally long too. The dinner took over 3 hours.

The resort does not offer room service and the restaurants do not allow you to take any food out of the restaurant area.

When you check in they give each guest a card that can be traded for 1 pool towel. When you return the towel they give your card back to you. If someone steals your towel or if you misplace your towel or card, you will be charged $20.00. This system is stupid! And everyday before noon they run out of clean towels.

Housekeeping was inconsistent, some days we got 2 hand towels, some days we got 1. Sometimes we got face towels, sometimes we didn’t. Sometimes we got a clean bath mat, sometimes we didn’t. Sometimes they filled the refrigerator, sometimes they didn’t. Our room did not have robes or slippers for us to use and it did not have an iron or ironing board. They did not turn down our bed or leave chocolates or mints nor did they have fresh flowers in our room and not even one cute little towel animal! These are all things that we have come to expect at a resort like this.

I think the thing that was most disappointing was the overall attitude of the resort staff. It just did not seem like we were in Jamaica; it was more like Atlantic City, NJ. The staff was just doing their job so they could get paid and if you want a little extra you’re gonna have to tip me … up front. It didn’t seem to matter to them at all if the guests were having a good time or not.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
st tudy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Just arrived home on the 1st July , Wow what can i say the buffets are the best i've had , and the Al carte are exceptional,favourite was Bubbas which did the best ever fillet steak i have tasted, followed by the indian restaurant then the italian and mexican.
Never had a problem with room service cleaned everyday plus mini bar filled daily.
All the staff were very nice, did not feel that i had to tip at all , pool is lovely and big and never felt overcrowded.
The beaches are lovely , fantastic for snorkling and just lying on a sunbed in the sea to cool you down.
Would definateley go back again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share your review based off your recent stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that you have enjoyed your vacation and all that our Resort has to offer. We are grateful for your positive comments about the accommodations, the delicious meals and the competent service received from our staff.

If ever you need any assistance from this end, please feel free to contact us as we will be happy to assist. We look forward to your visit in the near future as it was our pleasure hosting you on this visit. Until then, best wishes.
Los Angles, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

First trip to Jamaica...and the LAST all because of our experience at this hotel. You could only do so much at this hotel. My family and I were eager to explore the outside but the staff kept telling us that it is not safe at all and to stay at the resort. The staff demanded tips for everything.....even for their horrible service. By the 3rd day the other couples and I were already bored and we did the best that we could to enjoy it. That is until my room and another couple's room were missing $$$! I had $200 stolen from my wallet that was well hidden inside my suitcase! The thief must have had a conscious because they didn't take ALL my money hidden. I felt violated because they actually went through my personal belongings! The other couple had $250 stolen and theirs was taken from the hotel safe!!! Again, not ALL their money was taken....enough $ was left for them to get through the rest of the week. Of course we complained to the front desk and security came to take fingerprints BUT it was all too fishy as if they have done this before and I wouldn't be surprised if security was in on it. The front desk quickly mentioned that it's possible that we might have misplaced/dropped the money while we were drinking at the resort. Very sneaky of them to expect us to be hammered and unaware...... It's no wonder the staff kept telling us to stay at the resort!!!

So if you do plan on staying at this resort....BE CAREFUL with your $$ AND DO NOT TRUST THE ROOM SAFE THERE. You have been warned!

GPLH, thanks for ruining this trip.... I will not be recommending this place to anyone!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Absolutely wonderful. Romantic, food was great, and relaxing! We always talk about going back. The concierge set us up day trips for our time there, and they all were perfect! The weather was perfect, and the beaches beautiful. One of the most convient was the swim up bars at the big pool!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Greetings Tori S!

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!