We went here for two weeks recently for a wedding ceremony and, to be fair, it was pretty good. Except...
Our first room was in Villa 40, furthest away from reception. That initially suited me because I like a quiet room. Unfortunately it must also have been the last one they built because the room was missing several features that should have been in as standard such as iron, ironing board, clothes airer, iPod dock, balcony seats. The room also smelled damp but as it's a humid atmosphere at this time of year I accepted that as a climate thing. The aircon didn't dehumidify, if anything it just made it feel cool and damp, but again I was OK with that. The thing that really bothered me was the shower - it trickled. That is it trickled when there was actually a water supply. Unfortunately the water supply was stop and start but at its best the shower pressure was pitiful. We put up with it for 4 days before I spoke to reception. What a frosty, surly, indifferent set of people they were! In general the staff were lovely but I think they recruited the reception staff from the 'I couldn't give a toss' agency. You were made to feel that your issues were a burden and they helped you with some indifference. Customer service training was obviously bypassed with this bunch, especially a particularly miserable young lady called Vidal. Anyway, back to the room. After explaining my disquiet with the room missing so many things, the damp smell and the lack of water pressure I was told they would move me to another room later that day. Later that day arrived and I was given a new room - right next door to the old one! Granted it had all the missing items (except the iPod dock and a plug for the hand wash basin) but the damp was still there and the shower was still pitiful. I could hardly have expected the shower t0 be any better of course considering it was the same villa. Anyway, we got on with it for a couple of nights but my other half was struggling with the fact that the bed felt damp all the time. But then it got worse! The room upstairs had part filled their bath before the water went off and, after realising that the bath wasn't going to be an option that day, they pulled the plug out. All of their bath water came through the ceiling into our room!! The cleaning lady was nearby and we called her to witness the problem, she contacted the maintenance people and we were told it would be sorted.
However, enough was enough so we spoke to the holiday rep (Hyacinth) who got on to it straight away. Later that day we were moved again, this time into an upgraded room closer to the reception area. From here on the accommodation was superb. If I'd been in this room from day 1 then I'd have had no complaints. My guess is that Villa 40 was built as an after thought with whatever they had left and they had not really designed the water supply system to cope with the extra load.
In regard to the other facilities, I have no complaints at all. The pool was lovely, the restaurants were excellent, the beaches and activities were also excellent. I was concerned about going 'all-inclusive' but in this case it was all good.
There are lots of excursion options available from the various holiday companies that have desks in the reception area, plus the hotel's own service, but we just hired a minibus from the taxi firm that also have a desk in the reception area and, for a similar price, had a rather more bespoke day out than was provided by the 'fixed' tours.
There is a wifi service that is free in the reception area but unless there are only a couple of people connected, it's painfully slow. You can opt to buy a 'premium' connection that covers the resort and some of my friends did this but they said it was not much better than the free option. A tech upgrade to match the 5 star (Jamaican stars) rating would be in order!
Is it a 5 star resort? Not by European standards in my opinion. Some aspects of the resort are 5 start but sadly it's not consistent across the resort.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Hotel Lucea
- Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort And Spa
- Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort
- Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Hotel
- Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa Jamaica/Lucea
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The resort is bathed by the calm turquoise waters of Jamaica's north coast, in a small bay on a privileged enclave on the coast. The design is a perfect harmony between modernand luxurious facilities of a first class hotel and the attractive natural environment of the area characterized by the turquoise sea and the relief of the landscape. The complexalso houses an ultramodern Spa, which is equipped with the most advanced facilities and offers guests a wide variety of therapies and services. Near the village of Lucea and approximately 30 minutes from Montego Bay and its airport. Within the complex is theGrand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa has a total of 540 guestrooms in 15 villas ofthree levels with 6 Suites and 30 Junior Suites per villa. The Grand Palladium LadyHamilton Resort & Spa has a total of 516 rooms distributed in 13 villas of three levels with 6 suites and 30 Junior Suites per villa and 48 two-story cabins with 4 Cabins Suites(adults only) each. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, BookIt.com and Otel so you can book your Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.