“Very, Very nice place - but not 5 star” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
toronto
“Very, Very nice place - but not 5 star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I do a lot of travelling and read all the reviews - we picked this resort because it offered all we wanted. Went with no kids and I always try and give honest reviews and am pretty realistic from an expectation standpoint - so I will give a point form review

Travelled - last week
Ride from Airport - 45minutes

Stayed in 1-bedroom suite (Air Transat premium)

Checkin - no issues - however e-mailed 2-3 times with room requests and to be next to our friends and got no reply and got put in seperate buildings

Rooms
- Are absolutely fabulous - noone can complain about these
- Left room card in slot in room to keep AC running all week - worked like a charm
- Fridge wasn't totally cold - but did the job
- buildings 28,29,32 and 33 are the ones to get

Size of Resort
- This resort isn't that large - resorts in Mexico are much bigger
- Walk from furthest tip to main lobby - 6-7mins - but real nice walk
- Walk from building 28 - 4 mins
- Gold carts driving all the time and will pick you up - but we never needed it

Restaurants
- Mexican - don't bother
- Japanese - fabulous
- Indian - fabulous
- Steakhouse - very good - but the steak is not as good as home - stick with the tenderloin
- Sports bar - gut fill bar food- not great
- Poseidon - ok - but very long wait

So - one trick - if you are Air Transat premium- white band - go book your reservations for the week just to the left of the reception counter. You get a white band - you and people that are part of the time share get first dibs on restaurants and are the only ones that can get reservations. Otherwise you have to go wait at the restaurant and can wait up until an hour or they will be booked and say they can't fit you in - saw a couple of very frustrated people that tried numerous times to get into the steakhouse

- buffets are very good - not everything is "great" - but quality and selection is very good
- one other reason I won't give this resort a 4.5 or 5-star is that you cannot take snacks from restaurants out of the area to pool or beach - understand that this creates some issues - but resorts in Mexico have snack bars right at the beach - the only one snack bar is at the Sunset Cove beach and you get jerk chicken and rice only (very good by the way).
- You saw people smuggling food out of the restaurant to get to the pool - quite funny acutally watching people ram hamburgers in their purses

Beaches
- Ok - so I have seen many beaches and they aren't the "best" - but it depends what you are looking for
Las Brisas - this is a kind of man made beach - spectacular scenery - you have a couple of areas that you can walk in on for 6-10 feet of gorgeous water - but it is rocky and you need to be careful with your feet

Sunset Beach - nice - great scenery - water bit murky - not as rocky - watersports are here with the jerk hut - great spot - but not crystal blue water and "caribbean-like"

Coral Beach - small - very murky - nice to sit and watch sunset

If you are a person that likes a quick dip in the water and sits in your chair with spectacular scenery - the beaches are great - if you want clear blue - "Negril-like" beaches and water and space to play beach games and stuff this is important to you - this resort is not for you

Pools
- pools are great
- adult pool really good
- got a bit cloudy by end of week - but no issues

Tipping
- yup - some people ask for tips - lots don't - this happens at all vacation resorts
- I have a rule of thumb for this - I have $4-$5,000 on vacation and if $100 in tips ($1 bills) makes it even better then I am good
- if service good at breakfast/lunch $1-2 / Dinner - $5-10 / maid - $1-2 / tours and drivers $5-10
- I found that tipping didn't guarantee extra special service though - so if you are happy with service - give a tip (they make $50 /week - 12hour days)
- If you don't want to tip - you don't have to - I saw LOTS of people not tipping - whatever makes you comfortable

Entertainment
- shows are good - they try real hard
- casino - ok - slots that don't pay out
- sports / water sports -very good
- People of Palladium - always trying to get you to do stuff - very energetic

Tours
- Book at the front desk with your tour rep - you get the same price as if you try and do yourself (ie hire a driver) - safer, don't get stuck in the middle of nowhere

Overall
- Very, very nice resort - liked it a lot - had a great time. If I wanted to go to Jamaica and beach important - go to Negril - if not this is a great resort. If I was just looking for a vacation and didn't care where I was going - I would go to DR or Mayan Riviera and save a few hundred dollars and get nice beach

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (848)
  • Polish first
worcestershire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Visited the hotel between 22nd March and the 5th April 2013, overall we it be very good. The facilities were very good with an excellent swimming pool with the sunbeds sunken under the water, bliss! The rooms were very good clean and well proportioned. I did have issues with the cleaning staff for not leaving coffee and milk and on a number of occasions had to go and find them to get some, this was weather I left a tip or not. The food was of a generally good standard but not what I would describe as 5 star. I never had a bad meal in any of the restaurants but neither did I ever feel that it was very good.Having said that they are catering for a large number of people. I am by nature a very polite person and I found that given this I was treated by the staff with the same politeness. I personally never saw any of the "serving people offering tips before me" however another person in our party did. We went to the resort for a family wedding and I must say that the whole day was handled very well, with the exception of the food which was again average at best. An enjoyable holiday but I dont think I will return as I think there is better value in the market. I didnt undertake any of the excursions on offer because its something I dont do on my winter sun holiday, others in our party did and they were of the opinion that they were quite good value for money>

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Greetings!

Thank you for sharing with us your feedback based off your recent vacation spent with us. We are pleased that you enjoyed the overall experience had during your vacation and are grateful for your positive comments.

We would be more than happy to host you again in the future if you do change your mind on returning to our Resort being that your stay with us was a good one. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end to assist. Until then, best wishes from our Palladium Family.
Davenport, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My friend and I spent five amazing, blissful days at the Grand Palladium Jamaica - I'm ready to go back, and we just returned home two days ago!

First of all, the place was gorgeous. I can't say enough about the beautiful property and the immaculate landscaping (which was meticulously maintained by the friendliest gardeners I've ever met - seriously, even when they were working, they'd throw out a "good morning" or a "how are you" and a smile each time we passed by. Either that or offer us a fresh coconut!). The natural scenery is beautiful and the landscaping just adds to the overall picture. Everything was clean and bright and airy and well-kept.

Before the trip, I was a little disheartened when I read that other reviewers were tipping. I've never tipped at an all-inclusive resort before. But the staff at the Grand Palladium definitely deserves it! Not a single one was ever rude, and the vast majority of them were exceptionally warm, friendly, and attentive. We absolutely ADORED Carrie, a bartender who (usually) works at the bar between the Mexican restaurant and Bubba's Steakhouse - he literally went out of his way, more than once, to make sure we had what we wanted ... and his "Taste of Paradise" drinks are delicious (watch out, because they go down really smooth and you'll be hammered before you know it!). But Carrie was just one of many awesome bartenders and staff we had the pleasure of chatting with. We learned a lot about Jamaica and its people and customs just through conversations with the staff - they are more than happy to tell you anything you'd like to know.

Speaking of the restaurants, the food was pretty decent. The buffets had a fairly good variety for breakfast and lunch. For dinner, we ate at the Italian place, the steakhouse, the Mexican place, and the Asian place. My favorites were the Italian and the steakhouse, but everything was good. One thing though: if you're used to the huge American-sized portions, you might want to order more than one appetizer. The taste and quality was great, though. It did sometimes take a while to get seated and served, but hey - it's not like you're on a deadline, and you've got a full bar to take advantage of until you get your table!

We took the half-day excursion to Negril for shopping and a visit to Rick's Cafe. It was fun overall, but we weren't prepared for the first stop at a little craft market. We were bombarded left and right with vendors literally begging us to look at their shops and buy from them. I don't know if my friend and I (two women traveling alone) looked particularly susceptible to pleading or what, but we both ended up getting kind of guilt-tripped into buying a bunch of stuff. I'm not saying that's anyone's fault but our own - we certainly could have said no and kept our wallets in our pockets - but I'm warning you, if you're softhearted, it's hard to refuse them.

The disco was really fun, but I wish it opened before 11pm. Even an hour earlier would be better; by eleven I was always feeling a little tired and the urge to dance was overshadowed by the urge to sleep. We only went once, and though we had a fantastic time, we stayed for less than an hour because of that reason.

Overall, this was an amazing experience and I would recommend it to anyone. I want to go back with my husband and show him all the beautiful scenery and introduce him to the wonderful people!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear RitaT632,

Thank you for sharing with us your review based off your recent vacation spent here at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. We are elated that your vacation with us was a memorable one, nothing short of Grand!

It is great that you enjoyed the picturesque beauty of our Resort, the friendliness of our team of ladies and gentlemen, the delicious cuisines that we have to offer and the great facilities. It is good that you loved the Jamaican experience and that your vacation was well spent.

We welcome your visit in the near future as it would be our pleasure once more hosting you in true Palladium Style!
Aurora, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Our 3rd time at the GPLH was from the 14th to 21st of March 2013. We met up with old friends from UK who were there from 9th to 20th March 2013. The last time we saw our friends was 5 years ago in Scotland,

We all decided last year that our reunion would be in Jamaica and at the GPLH because Grace and I love this resort. Gareth and Heather found our choice to be a great vacation.

Prior to the vacation I phoned to request building 33 3rd floor as last year we found the building close to Coral Beach where we spent most of our time. We all ended up in building 32 which was next door and just as good for peace and quiet and also close to our favourite beach. We were not disappointed!

All of our days were spent relaxing on Coral beach and snorkeling. I must say that the snorkeling off Coral beach was spectacular compared with the previous visits. The marine life was way better and more varieties of fish seen. It was like being inside a fish tank. We must have spent close to 3 hours a day snorkeling. Collectively we took close to 2 hours of underwater video and saw Barracuda, Octopus, Lobster, many varieties of reef fish and 2 Lionfish.

I cannot emphasize enough about wearing water shoes as we met a young man that stepped on a spiny sea urchin and was in obvious pain.

As a group we did not take any day trips as we were there to simply relax.

We ate at all the a la cartes except the mexican and jamaican. The food was really good with the exception of the chinese (asian) restaurant where the portions conained very little meat and mostly noodles. The longest wait for us at any of the restaurants was around 1/2 hour so we simply relaxed at the bar and got paged for our table.

The breakfast buffet was great, lots of choice and set us up for a day at the beach.

Our room was kept clean and never had an issue at all with it, the maid and turn down maid did a great job and we were never without clean towels.

The only disappointment was due to our airline schedule we asked for a late checkout and this we were granted. When we did check out at 3pm we asked if the $40 charge could be waived as we have stayed at the GPLH for the third time. The supervisor said it had to be payed and could not be reversed. Ah well!! This will not stop us coming back next March for sunshine and fun at the GPLH.

Room Tip: Building 33 and 32 are close to Coral beach and really quiet. The 3rd floor 2 bedroom suites have a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear ChrisGrace,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based on your third visit to the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. We are grateful for your positive comments. We are happy that we were able to fulfill your room request and that you were pleased with the location of your room. It is good that the meals were to you liking and that you enjoyed the dining experience at those restaurants which you have mentioned in your review. It is also great that you enjoyed daily snorkeling at the Coral Beach. We would love to have you stay with us again in the future as it was our pleasure hosting you on this visit.

Best Wishes.
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Overall, a grand place. Lots of activities offered and anyone can join in at any time - "no worries, mon!"
Food is as expected of any buffet style dining and reservations can made for dining in at one of the 6 specialised restaurants; my favourite were the Indian and Asian. Service can be a bit slow at times, depending on the number of people dining.
The compound is rather big and we had to walk a bit to get to our favourite spots on the beaches there; a good way to walk off all that good food! Best place for snorkeling is at Sunset Cove and I caught the sunset from my room. Beach volleyball on all day. Tours and cabs-for-hire are available at front lobby - these can get rather pricey.
Loved my room but the walls are thin! I am a light sleeper and I like to sleep in on my holidays but my 'neighbours' were more active. TV available with limited channels and wifi only if purchased; good way to get me out of my room and enjoy the facilities and good fun in the sun. Entertainment is good but there's room for improvement. Occasionally, the beach and pool areas get a bit overcrowded.
Do NOT miss the Tuesday nights' chocolate show!
LOVED the spa - must get the back massage!

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the sea for all the sights and sounds a beach-side resort has to offer.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear F T,

Thank you for sharing with us your review. We are elated that you have had a wonderful vacation experience here at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. We are grateful for all your positive comments.

We are pleased that you enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer which includes the delicious meals had by the a la carte restaurants, the daily activities, and snorkeling by the Sunset Cove.

We would love to be given the opportunity of hosting you again in the future for another vacation nothing short of Grand! Until then, best wishes.
Bonn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights and had a room with sea view which was really nice. The quality of the resort was excellent in every respect and all the staff were really friendly and took care of us. I liked all the food and there was a huge choice of all kinds of food an drinks including alcoholic drinks. There was a lot of entertainment, I liked the dancing troupe and I think there is some kind of party and/or show every night. My favorite was the chocolate-covered bikini girl posing as a statue while chocolates and champagne were served.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Greetings!

Thank you for sharing with us your review about your recent stay here at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. We are elated knowing that your stay with us was a wonderful one which was enjoyed in all aspects. We are very grateful for your positive comments outlining the great experiences which you had throughout your stay. We would love to host you again in the near future as it was our pleasure having you on this visit.
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We have just arrived home from grand palladium today. We were there for a family wedding which was beautiful, the whole experience of the day was perfect! The resort was good but don't think I would return to this hotel, there was plenty of choices of restaurants but most nights there was up to a 90 min wait so ended up just going to buffet, they maybe need to look at more restaurants. The main pool was very rowdy everyday the best times round the pool was weekends and it was mainly the workers that were the loudest. It was difficult to try and get a drink unless you had a tip for them especially the sports bar, you could stand at the bar for ages and walk away without a drink. The food was really great couldn't fault it one bit and the rooms were really spacious with ur own jacuzzi bath and a large walk in shower. We were really having a great time until one of the entertainment staff stole my husbands phone and the rest of our money 2 days before we left but on leaving realised it wasn't just us there was other people that had their stuff taken. This just put a dampner on the rest of our holiday which will definitely put me off going back to this resort but up until then was a great holiday. The main beach wasn't great it was very rocky but it is man made so new it wouldn't be great, the other beach at sunset cove was beautiful and the main pool was exceptional definitely the largest I've ever seen. Might try Jamaica again sometime in the future but won't be top of my list.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
FiestaJamaica, Assistant Food & Beverage Director at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear julie-ann M,

We appreciate the time which you have taken to share your vacation experience while at our beautiful Resort. I apologize for the facts that you describe, we take good note of them. We are grateful for your positive comments about our roms and food. Being an all inclusive 5 star Resort, tips are included and, of course, are up to you, whenever you think the service is going far beyond your expectations. . We train our staff to avoid these practices.

It was our pleasure hosting you.

Best Wishes,

Victor Caride
Assistant Food & Beverage Director

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!